Start by marking “The Kitchen Linens Book: Using, Sharing, and Cherishing the Fabrics of Our Daily Lives” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  82 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Gather 'round! The endearing follow-up to "The Apron Book" is now served. EllynAnne Geisel graces us with her new treasure, "The Kitchen Linens Book." It's a lovely treat.

Family kitchens are where our days begin and end. And one constant is threaded among the people, the stories, and the moments: America's kitchen linens. If only these prized pieces could talk.

"The Kitchen
Published May 1st 2009 by Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC (first published March 17th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Kitchen Linens Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kitchen Linens Book

Marlyn
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, antiques
I received this book through Library Thing's Early Reviewer Program. I didn't know what to expect, but it sounded kind of interesting (despite the fact that I'm not a sewer), and besides, there's a an adorable embroidered teacup lady on the cover.

What it turned out to be is an wonderfully readable appreciation of antique and vintage kitchen linens: tablecloths, napkins, placemats, aprons, and teatowels. Geisel is an expert on the subject, and has also written The Apron Book and Apronisms.

Chapt
Kathryn
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
EllynAnne Geisel does such an incredible job in her research on kitchen linens. This book has stories from women about their childhood memories, their grandmothers, and family. The pictures are extraordinary and the entire book made me feel good inside while reading it.
Willa
Mar 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Kitchen Linens Book: Using, Sharing, and Cherishing the Fabrics of Our Daily Lives , by EllynAnne Geisel

This book could be appreciated solely for the beautiful photographs of embroidered, embellished, and lovingly preserved linens, but it is so much more. I adored this book. Every page brought a new memory of my own family—my mother, my grandmothers, my aunts—and how seemingly mundane items like dishtowels and tablecloths can have such a large impact on our lives.

The book includes a collecti
Elise Cohen
"Perfect for the collector and enthusiast, this book is almost overly illustrated with examples of traditional American kitchen linens on every page.[return]The book contains the author's essays and thoughts on linens, some random recipes, some basic information on fiber choices, others' essays, and finally a set of transfers for making your own set of embroidered towels.[return]However, it is completely lacking any historic research or context, any detailed directions on historic or modern embr ...more
Deb
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought the book 3 days ago began reading right away, I really enjoyed this book, I collect vintage linens and I also do lots of embroidery and the words on the page spoke to me, with me and at times almost as if I were saying them myself.

When I see old linens that have been embroidered the first thing that comes to mind was what was the person like, why did she pick this pattern?

It also brought back many old childhood memories and each memory let me once again be with lone gone loved ones that
Martha
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really delighted in this book as I have a collection of my mother's and grandmother's kitchen and dining linens. Many are those described in this book as belonging to the women who "made" the homes of the 1930's, 40's and 50's. I promise to use them more and repurpose those that cannot be used again for the original purpose due to fraying or stains and yellowing. Good reference on the types of cloth used, proper care and history. If you love kitchen linens, you will enjoy reading this book.
Krista Mercer
Another winner from the author of The Apron Book. If anything, I enjoyed this book even more, as the author explored the other linens once so common in domestic life - the tablecloths, napkins, dishtowels, and handkerchiefs designed and decorated with such care and skill that they became objects of use and beauty. Seeing the tables laid out with such care definitely brought back 4-H memories!
Rose Ann
Dec 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crafters, embroiderers
Recommended to Rose Ann by: found on shelf at public library
Shelves: sewing-crafts
This is by the same lady who wrote "The Apron Book." Charming.

This book made me so nostalgic for the old days that I went to the craft store and bought flour sack towels, and an envelope of Aunt Martha's Hot Iron Transfers! And I am actually embroidering a kitchen towel! I love it! Who else has happy memories of their first embroidery project? Who else remembers stacks of beautifully embroidered and carefully laundered kitchen towels, dresser scarfs and pillowcases?
Melea
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: domestic, non-fiction
I want to entertain soon! Even if my linens aren't perfect there are ways around that. I'm ready to thrift store and estate sale shop for "new" linens. Mom got me a great birthday present in this book! I'm inspired!
Britomarte Van Horn
I was very disappointed with this book. It wasn't terrible, but I was expecting more concrete information - this book was 80% anecdotes and descriptions of how linens make the author feel, and 20% history. I prefer the other way around.
Leah
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homemaking
A fun book! It brought back lots of memories of my mom and grandmas and their beautiful handwork.
Liz
Mar 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I figured this was a crafty type book, but it's not. Still, it has some cute stories, recipes and a look at vintage or antique table linens.
Bmankiewicz
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Both good for nostalgia and also inspiration for current use of linens.
Amy
Mar 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-and-garden
Love the photos in this book. It includes recipes - I am going to make the blueberry coconut muffins today!
Cymiki
For those who love kitchen decorating, this book will appeal. I found a great coconut cake recipe in this book!
Kate
What a delightful book!!I love the linens I received from my mother, aunt and through my Mom my grandmothers, etc. It is wonderful to read something that celebrates these wonderful works of art!!
Corey Romanski
Jul 31, 2009
Gigi Minor
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nostalgia
Loved everything about this book! The coconut cake recipe is awesome! I've made it 4 times!
Judith B. Nelson