Start by marking “The 13 Nights of Halloween” as Want to Read:
The 13 Nights of Halloween

The 13 Nights of Halloween

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  306 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
On the first night of Halloween, what does your mummy give you?A bright, shiny Skeleton Key, of course!

In fact, for each of the thirteen nights leading up to the big night, your mummy is ready with gifts that include everything from singing skulls to demons dancing to icky eyeballs. The spookier and slimier, the better!

From debut author-illustrator Guy Vasilovich comes a p
Published July 26th 2011 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The 13 Nights of Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 13 Nights of Halloween

Kathryn
3.5 STARS A very cute idea, this is a Halloween take on "The Twelve Days for Christmas". "On the first day of Halloween my mummy gave to me, a bright, shiny skeleton key!" There isn't a story to speak of, of course, but Vasilovich's illustrations are full of delightfully ghoulish detail and a parade of Halloween-y characters. I'm not sure I was personally a big enough fan of the illustrations to give this book a high star rating, but I could see where some people would really love them and this ...more
Brenda
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"On the first day of Halloween my mummy gave to me, a bright, shiny skeleton key!" Guy Vasilovich's follows the theme of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" but casts a spooky Halloween twist into it. The illustrations are delightfully sinister creatures showing each thing that mummy gave to a bright eyed very cute little girl for Halloween. An entertaining tale, but the song will stick in your head for awhile.
Beckie
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with the cover of this book as the illustration is attention-grabbing and adorable, but I was even more surprised when I opened the book and read the first page aloud. My son was laughing because I ended up singing: “On the first night of Halloween my mummy gave to me a bright, shiny skeleton key.”

You cannot just read this book; it begs to be sung! The verses go on and on, through the 13th night of Halloween, each page full of colorful, wonderfully depicted, super-cute (not scary)
Andrea Hussey
Oct 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Dianne Casas
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Have I got the PERFECT Halloween book for you! Guy Vasilovich, an internationally known animator (Geronimo Stilton), brings us a Halloween version of The Night Before Christmas. The illustrations are fantastical, reminding me of a cross between Nightmare Before Christmas and The Corspe Bride. Each page looks like a frame in an animated movie. The rewrite is very clever and so singable that my 11 year old daughter joined me in singing it out loud.
Dolly
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We have been reading a few new Halloween-themed books lately and we discovered this book at our local library. It is very humorous and fun to read aloud. We each took turns reading the different refrains and it was fun to read a Halloween-themed version of the classic Christmas song. The illustrations are spooky, but adorable. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Heather
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
38 months - the pictures are great but who isn't beyond tired reading repetitive books based on the 12 days of Christmas rhyme. I cringe each time O wants to read it. Thankfully it's a library book and it goes back soon.
Heather
Oct 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Cosette
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book immensely- singing right before bed is one of my many pleasures. However, a particular individual, who will remain unnamed, upon hearing the title of this book, pointed out, “Halloween is only one night!” I suspect this individual will be receiving a lump of coal in his spider web fashioned stocking...
Lauren Paulsen
Nice twist making a picture book for Halloween based on The 12 Days of Christmas. It was interesting for me to find this book because I wrote something along these lines, even using The 13 Nights of Halloween as my title, for fun in the past, albeit with much different content than this author's. Turning it into a picture book was a pretty neat idea, and the artwork is quite unique.
Erin
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The artwork and gorgeous inking of said art really made up for the fact that this is just a Halloween twist on the Twelve Days of Christmas song. I enjoyed reading it though. You might ask, what's with all the Halloween books lately? I just read what I'm told unless I can find a loophole. :) And my pro-Halloween stance must have rubbed off on my son.
Lynn
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Engaging illustrations (appear to be computer-generated) will appeal to many youngsters.
Sometimes these adapted versions of familiar favorites lack in rhythm and evenness - but not this one.
The "13" may spur some conversation about why the number 13 is considered unlucky, and about why the author used 13 instead of 12.
DeA
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great Halloween picture book for young children. The illustrations are not too scary and add to the song. It's a great read for a counting book too, as each night you add another number. Recommend to anyone with small children during Halloween, or year-round if they love Halloween.
Hallie Jackson
3.5 stars.
Colette
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book to read up close, or aloud with kids!
Laurie
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kasey Jensen
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One little girl has a delightful mummy who gives her frighteningly spooky, yet fun gifts for the 13 nights of Halloween. Based on the song “The Twelve Days of Christmas”, this book would be a great classroom treat during the month of October. This book is intended for 7 to 10 year olds. It appeals to this group because it is scary (but not too much so) and has great illustrations of all of the girl’s gifts. I could use this book in a couple of different ways. First of all, it would be a great vo ...more
Chanelle
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This book reminds of the 12 days of Christmas song that I used to sing in school. It is really cool because it counts the different items the girl receives each day leading up to Halloween and then repeats what her mom gave her after each night. This book would be perfect for early grades, because it focuses on basic counting and number ordering. You could actually read this book during the 13 days leading up to Halloween being that a lot of schools aren't allowed to celebrate it. By doing this, ...more
Janet Squires
Inspired by THE 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS, Vasilovich gives his young readers a ghoulish countdown to Halloween.

A young big-eyed Witch leads the audience through the series of creepy gifts provided by her Mummy, beginning with:
"On the first night of Halloween my mummy gave to me: a bright shiny skeleton key.

Drawing on his extensive experience in animation, Vasilovich employs inky blacks, vibrant purples, and shimmering oranges and yellows in a gothic cartoon style that gives a nod to Tim Burton wit
Sarah W
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"On the first night of Halloween, my mummy gave to me a bright, shiny skeleton key."

The girl in Guy Vasilovich's first picture book goes on to collect two-headed snakes, bats and eyeballs. This is a perfect Halloween teaser to share before the holiday in elementary school. Kids will enjoy pouring over the rich artwork to count the different creatures and spooky items within. The Thirteen Nights of Halloween begs to be sung and sung loudly as many will recognize the familiar tune.

An extension of
Tam
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: halloween
Valerie Jones
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining Halloween take on a favorite Christmas carol
In this clever and creative book, Guy Vasilovich remakes the Christmas carol, the 12 Days of Christmas into a funny Halloween treat. Filled with great pictures, and an easy to follow song pattern that children will recognize, The 13 Nights of Halloween is a silly and entertaining read.
Recommended for readers age 4-7.
Baseballvalbooks.wordpress.com
Rosanna
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This one gets five stars, because not only was it cute and fun to read to my 2 year old daughter, but she loved it. I think it will be even more fun when we re-read it next time because this time it took me a page or two to get into the flow of the words. By time I reached the end though we were making spooky sounds for each of the numbers.

Hopefully this will remain a favorite and end up on our frequently re-read list soon.
Kristen
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: halloween, kids-books
I loved this book! It's obviously to the tune of "The 12 Days of Christmas". I thought it was very witty and the rhyming worked well in the tune. There were a couple of funny lines. The illustrations reminded me a lot of a Tim Burton style, which in movie form isn't my favorite, but in book form for a Halloween book I really liked it.

I obviously sang this book to my daughter and she really enjoyed it. This will be one that we'll pick up each year around Halloween.
Kelsey Peterson
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was designed to be read like the twelve days of Christmas. So on each days something related to the Halloween holiday is given from the mummy. This book can be fun for all ages and grades to get them excited about the holiday. If their were to be students in your classroom that do not celebrate the holiday you could come up with a differentiated instruction.

Vasilovich, Guy. The 13 nights of Halloween. New York: Harper, 2011.
babyhippoface
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is so cute! From the gorgeously eerie opening spread of haunted houses to the barn full of boogey men at the end and on every page in between, Vasilovich's illustrations of the brave, big-eyed little girl, grinning skulls, werewolves and witches are delightfully creepy. Once they catch on to the "12 Days of Christmas" tune, kids will sing along at the top of their lungs in between giggles and gross-outs. This is a Halloween holiday read-aloud winner.
Chelsea
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-fantasy
Based on how much kids love this book, it gets a 5. It's like the 12 Days of Christmas, but Halloween style. My kindergartens requested to "sing/read" this book all year long, and my one year old sits through it all the way through. The pictures are cute and darling. If you love the holiday Halloween you and your kids will love this book.
Tiffany
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My little ones rated this book: "FIVE STARS, MOMMY!"
I read it to them, or should I say sang it to them (think 12 Days of Christmas), and they loved it.
The next morning, my first grader read it to her little sister. I have a feeling this book will be read over and over again the next few weeks.
Happy Halloween!
Deborah
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kids LOVE this book. I read it to my pre schoolers and they roar with laughter as I make faces and sing in a horrible voice the words to this awesome book (set to the 12 days of Christmas). The illustrations are awesome and not too scary for four year olds to love, yet scary enough for second graders to eat up!
Miss Ryoko
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
To the tune of The 12 Nights of Christmas (which, of course, as I read this book, I had to read it singing it in my head :-p). The illustrations are really very, very, very fun!! I commend Guy Vasilovich on those fantastic illustrations! The story was cute but I couldn't get enough of those illustrations!
  • Little Goblins Ten
  • AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween
  • Shivery Shades of Halloween
  • Click, Clack, Boo!: A Tricky Treat
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • 10 Trick-or-Treaters
  • Halloween Night
  • A Very Brave Witch
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat!
  • Inside a House That is Haunted