Start by marking “June of Rock” as Want to Read:
June of Rock

June of Rock

Fresh out of 10th grade and freshly dumped by her dreamboat music nerd boyfriend Micah, June Dixon is headed to Camp Decibelle for the summer. The girls-only rock camp sounds like the perfect destination for a budding drummer with a respectfully punk attitude — except for the “girls-only” part. Once at Decibelle, June is thrown in among her fellow campers, a hodgepodge of ...more
ebook
Published (first published July 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about June of Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about June of Rock

Start your review of June of Rock
Giselle
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, arc
This was such a fun book! I went into it knowing it was going to be a short, quick read, and I completely enjoyed it. June of Rock gives us the story of a teenage girl - June - who's on summer break from 10th grade and heading off to camp rock. June is a drummer with big dreams and a tad socially awkward. She doesn't make friends easily and her punk attitude has made her a bit of an outcast.

Right from the start I was completely immersed in June's narration. On top of her fabulous sense of humou
Amy
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
June of Rock was exactly the kind of book I needed to come up next in my rotation! After a string of intense, highly emotional books, I was in serious need of something to lift my literary spirits. June of Rock did just that!

June was a kick ass main character who, excuse the pun, ROCKED! She's cheeky, no nonsense and socially awkward, especially when it comes to making friends with other girls. Her character reminded me a lot of Juno with her quick wit and sarcasm. She tends to come off as bitc
Hot Stuff Book Reviews
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it

After I read few good reviews on blogs and websites I decided to buy this ebook. The music was the password.

I can only agree with The good reviews because this book rocks!

June is a character with trouble to have confidence in people. She can't really trust people easily around her ans she's not friend with girls. Also, even if the reader is not like the character for some reasons we like her and even understand her. But, maybe because I'm not 15 or 16 anym
Trisha Wolfe
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Now THAT was a fun book. If you guys have read any of my past reviews, you know that I’m a huge fan of old school punk and girl bands. The SHADE series by Jeri Smith-Ready is my favorite partly because it makes me feel like I’m back in high school with references to my fave music and the band scene. And JUNE OF ROCK was brilliantly executed with a fun, smart voice and super cool plot that did just that.

June was easy for me to relate to. I was so much like her when I was younger. I had exactly on
Jacinda
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I will always be a fan of Disney Channel movies. There’s just something about them that brings a smile to my face and makes me happy. June of Rock, from the beginning, gave me the same feelings as those movies do.

Elisa Ludwig’s book touches on many young adult aspects I love reading about: camp and music. I’ve touched on this before, but I don’t listen to much music so generally speaking it’s either hit or miss for me with music related books. This book was a hit for me. I enjoyed the feelings J
Lyrical
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I’ve got two words for this book: rock on!

I knew I’d have an affinity with this book when I started reading it as I was a teen girl drummer, just like June, and always found myself torn between being ultra cool and ultra weird. Having read June of Rock, however, I now really want to pick up my sticks again! June has such a wonderful, strong voice and is the perfect heroine with plenty of flaws but you love her anyway. She starts the book in a pretty bad way and throughout the story makes some pr
Jodie
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
A great change of pace, Ludwig has written a novel that is fresh and upbeat from the normal scale of what is out there. It's so nice to read something so different from the usual normal books out. Sometimes it just seems like many start to be about the same thing, with a different twist at the end. This one doesn't start like any other, nor end like any other. Fresh and funky!

Right before June is about to go off to camp for the summer, her boyfriend and fellow music lover, Micah dumped her. As
HebaH
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was a very refreshing and enjoyable look at friends and relationships. June, who always feels like a misfit and doesn’t belong anywhere, finally feels like she finds her niche when she goes away to a summer rock camp, just for girls. However, while there, she discovers that her new friends may not be friends at all and while she pines for the boy she left behind, even though he dumped her, she can’t stop from thinking of him.

While taking various classes from writing lyrics to learning
Monica
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved this YA book by Elisa Ludwig. There are some YA books that make the younger teenage kids seem too air headed or the language isn't something that is really relatable. This is not the case with June of Rock.

I love the story that June is just wanting to rock out and pursue her dream. She has normal problems as a normal teenage girl, like boys and girl drama, but she pushes through to get to what shes wanted the whole time. Just to rock and be as great as she can be as a musician.

June has
Once
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it

June has
Fred
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-that-rock
I enjoyed this quite a bit, somewhat to my surprise, since June started out as a self-admitted bit of a hostile b. Her acknowledgement of that, and her attempts to move past it, are kind of a charming part of the story, as she becomes more accepting of what is really going on with her, her relationships, her fantasies about her Dad returning, and her attempts to make her rock fantasies become real. I went to a rock/guitar camp a few years ago, and although I'm not a teenage girl (obvs), June's e ...more
Michele(mluker) Luker
A nice story about June who is trying to discover herself in a camp only for girls who want to Rock. Good story for teens about how decisions play a roll in your life and become learning experiences.
Sara
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
While there are some interesting little factoids here about women in rock, this is largely a pretty shallow story on the whole, with dialogue that ranges from reasonably believable to almost insultingly silly.
Aubrey Ellman
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
funny and sincere- a great read for teens and adults alike
Smorrison
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great protagonist with an authentic teenage voice.
Melissa
Kim Morris
Jan 11, 2012
Mara
Jun 15, 2017
I'm the author of the PRETTY CROOKED trilogy (HarperCollins) and COIN HEIST (Adaptive), now a Netflix Original film starring Sasha Pieterse. My story "About You Now" is featured in the forthcoming anthology BEHIND THE SONG (Sourcebooks). Visit me at elisaludwig.com, @ElisaLudwigYA and www.facebook.com/ElisaLudwigYA. ...more

News & Interviews