Start by marking “The Path of the Yoga Sutras: A Practical Guide to the Core of Yoga” as Want to Read:
The Path of the Yoga Sutras: A Practical Guide to the Core of Yoga

The Path of the Yoga Sutras: A Practical Guide to the Core of Yoga

One of the great gifts of the yogic path is that it returns us to a life of simplicity, even as we go about our lives in a world of growing complexity. Through practice, we ultimately find the freedom to be who we really are, and allow others do the same.

This was Patañjali's original intention when he penned his legendary sutras. But when a text is over 2,000 years old, im
Published August 1st 2011 by Sounds True (first published January 1st 2011)

Start your review of The Path of the Yoga Sutras: A Practical Guide to the Core of Yoga
julia
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this as part of my training in becoming a certified yoga instructor, and found it to be very helpful on a spiritual, personal level. Further, when people ask me questions about yoga's spiritual aspects, I will be able to provide more thorough answers.
Amy Boogie King
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
1/29 - I've gone through 4 chapters and my Sutra class is tonight. This is an excellent easy way to get into the sutras. I've read them in other translations but this is a great intro. It's not following the sutras bit by bit but it's tying it all together. Our teacher is giving us the sutras each chapter pertains to as we go through. Not that I think you have to have that to get an understanding. At the end of each chapter there are "thoughts" that summarize the chapters and exercise for you to ...more
Jennifer O'Leary
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Yoga Philosophy for the West
Sacrificing accuracy for applicability, Nicolai Bachman summarizes the key concepts of yoga philosophy in a modern context. The structure lends it self easily to a thought per day (or week) that can influence how we engage the world.
Kris
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bachman makes the Yoga Sutras easy to understand and bring into your life. A short read explains the Sutra and prepares the practitioner to practice the thoughts and guides that follow.
Kelly
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Last one for 2015!
Elizabeth Haynes
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just excellent. One of the best yoga books I've read. Will refer back to it again and again.
Josh
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good. I've ingested lots of material and only after reading this did I realize that my knowledge had been so lacking in structure and scaffolding. Nicolai expertly connects all the principles in a very readable form, while preserving the integrity of the Sutras - it's very clear where he is inserting his voice.
Stefanie
This book is a little too frilly to be a concise introduction to the sutras, yet it doesn't delve deep enough to be interesting. It's very preachy, but I liked some of his breakdowns of the different steps.
Ann
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great breakdown of yoga philosophy.
Justin
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written but not too different from similar books
Kristen
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fantastic reference guide with helpful activities and meditations. Something I’ll read over and over again
Maddison
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful explanations. You truly will learn something about yourself.
KAREN
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a Hindu recipe for life and I will continue to reread it the rest of my life. It will look different each time I pick it up, depending on where I am.
Rhonda Lepkan
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read and understand. Short explanations with a great summary and exercises to bring the concepts to life.
Bethany
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was good, easy to understand. I took my time reading it, a chapter a day.
Jamie
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Different take on the yoga sutras - really enjoyed it :)
Julie Andrews
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good companion to the yoga sutras of Patanjali.
Jill
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga-inspiration
Read slowly. Take in a chapter, then let it settle, think about it. Absorb this book slowly. It is transformative.
Uschi
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy to read explaining the yoga sutras.
Fran T
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent presentation of the Yoga Sutras. This book is very well written and comprehensive. I've gained much knowledge and insight from Nicolai Bachman's writing on the Sutras. I highly recommend this book for anyone who practices yoga at any level.
Denise Tarasuk
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My favorite! Really great. The Path of the Yoga Sutras is a book I could not put down. But in having said this, I did not want to hurry. I wanted to savor each paragraph and each chapter. This special book is filled with heart! Enjoy!
Jzak12
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great choice for beginners to get an understanding of the yoga sutras.
Cherie
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Excellent interpretation of the Yoga Sutras; they're a bit dry and complicated, and this makes them heaps more accessible. Great guidelines for any compassionate human being on how to live.
Christa
Colleen
Aug 17, 2019

• The Yamas  Niyamas: Exploring Yoga's Ethical Practice
  • Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga
  • Teaching Yoga Beyond the Poses: A Practical Workbook for Integrating Themes, Ideas, and Inspiration into Your Class
  • Eastern Body, Western Mind: Psychology and the Chakra System As a Path to the Self
  • The Great Work of Your Life: A Guide for the Journey to Your True Calling
  • The Bhagavad Gita
  • Living the Sutras: A Guide to Yoga Wisdom Beyond the Mat
  • Journey Into Power: How to Sculpt Your Ideal Body, Free Your True Self, and Transform Your Life with Yoga
  • Yoga Anatomy
  • The Chakra Project: How the Healing Power of Energy Can Transform Your Life
  • The Chakra Project: How the healing power of energy can transform your life
  • Awakening Shakti: The Transformative Power of the Goddesses of Yoga
  • Every Body Yoga: Let Go of Fear. Get On the Mat. Love Your Body
  • What Are You Hungry For?: The Chopra Solution to Permanent Weight Loss, Well-Being, and Lightness of Soul