Start by marking “The Bones of the Sea” as Want to Read:
The Bones of the Sea

The Bones of the Sea

The Bones of the Sea - a scifi short story.

Myasi has been contracted to demolish a weird metallic construct in the shallow seas of Ulto Marinos. But her attempt to do so reveals something more beneath the surface ...
Nook
Published May 16th 2011 by Pippa Jay, via Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about The Bones of the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bones of the Sea

Start your review of The Bones of the Sea
Laurel
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
In The Bones of the Sea, we get a glimpse of Ulto Marinos, a mysterious world on which stranger things exist - namely, the Bones of the Sea. Ulto Marinos is the predominantly marine world Gethyon, Quin's son, travels to as a teen in Pippa Jay's novella, Gethyon.

This is a well-crafted short story in that - and typical of Pippa Jay's writing - one is left to muse over the final events in the story for a good while after one has finished reading it. Not everything is quite as it seems,
Chantal Halpin
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm more into fantasy than sci-fi but I think Pippa Jay could change all that. This was a lovely well written people and situation based sci-fi shortie (rather than the tech heavy stuff that scares me away) and it was completely free from Smashwords by an author I shall be watching out for. If you fancy a break from the norm give it a whirl.
P.J. O'Brien
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-read-in-2015
A very good short story, free on smashwords.com. It's a nice blend of realistic tough choices and unexpected consequences. The tension around the ethical dilemma builds up perfectly.
Laurie Green
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This well-written story takes you on a journey of discovery, then presents a quandary and a gut-punch outcome that feels all too real. A deft examination of the dark side of human nature, and human-made complications.

If you love a well-crafted Sci-Fi short story, I highly recommend this read!
AnnaM
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This excellent gem paints a vivid picture of life on the alien world of Ulto Marinos. Tension ratchets up until protagonist Myasi's choice.

I loved this story. The ending reminded me of stories I read as a teen. It was perfect.
Andra
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great story, fast paced and incredibly descriptive. Loved the story and finished wanting MORE!
Frieda
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short story has quipped my interest. Interesting idea.
Netanella
The ending of this short scifi story stays with you for a long time, like a good Arthur C. Clarke can. Ethical choices reveal the dark side of human nature when encountered with the unknown versus personal ambition. I'm intrigued by the world revealed by the author. Nicely done.
Laurel
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction

Myasi has been contracted to blow up an artefact known as The Bones of the Sea, some artificial structure that is getting in the way of seagrafters. She lays the final charge and returns to her ship - but a charge explodes pre
Richard
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
A nice little short with some interesting ideas. Left me wondering a lot of things about the world and the protagonist. It seems more like the beginning of a novel that hasn't been written than a short to stand on its own... I stumbled several times over one coined word; but other than that, the writing is really competent. But why is the ebook double spaced, like a term paper?
nick
May 23, 2016 rated it liked it
this free short story was tricky to rate, on the one hand its classically intriguing but on the other its writing style is very jumpy an quick. hard to follow what was happening. felt like it needed in between bits.
Pat Elliott
Roy Huff
Apr 12, 2013
January Bain
Oct 24, 2012
Previously an Analytical Chemist & stay-at-home mum, Pippa Jay is now a Science Technician who writes scifi and supernatural stories to engage the emotions. Somewhere along the way a touch of romance crept into her work and refused to leave. In between torturing her plethora of characters, she spends the odd free moment looking after her chickens, creating cosplay for humans and dolls alike, a ...more