Jump to ratings and reviews

The Bones of the Sea

The Bones of the Sea - a scifi short story.

Myasi has been contracted to demolish a weird metallic construct in the shallow seas of Ulto Marinos. But her attempt to do so reveals something more beneath the surface ...

Nook

First published May 16, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Pippa Jay

22 books209 followers
Previously an Analytical Chemist & stay-at-home mum, Pippa Jay is now a Science Technician who writes scifi and supernatural stories to engage the emotions. Somewhere along the way a touch of romance crept into her work and refused to leave. In between torturing her plethora of characters, she spends the odd free moment looking after her chickens, creating cosplay for humans and dolls alike, and studying the Dark Side of the Force. Although happily settled in the historical town of Colchester in the UK with her husband of 25 years and three not-so-little monsters, she continues to roam the rest of the Universe in her head.

Pippa Jay is a dedicated member of the Science Fiction Romance Brigade, blogging at Spacefreighters Lounge, Adventures in Scifi, and Romancing the Genres. Her works include YA and adult stories crossing a multitude of subgenres from scifi to the paranormal, often with romance, and she’s one of eight authors included in a science fiction romance anthology—Tales from the SFR Brigade. She’s also a quadruple SFR Galaxy Award winner, been a finalist in the Heart of Denver RWA Aspen Gold Contest (3rd place), the 2015 EPIC eBook awards, the 2015 RWA LERA Rebecca (2nd place), and the GCC RWA Silken Sands Star Awards (2nd place).

You can stalk her at her website, or at her blog, but without doubt her favorite place to hang around and chat is on Twitter as @pippajaygreen.

****Please do not send me review requests, event invites or recommendations****

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (2%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews
Profile Image for Chantal Halpin.
Author 2 books30 followers
August 9, 2011
I'm more into fantasy than sci-fi but I think Pippa Jay could change all that. This was a lovely well written people and situation based sci-fi shortie (rather than the tech heavy stuff that scares me away) and it was completely free from Smashwords by an author I shall be watching out for. If you fancy a break from the norm give it a whirl.
Profile Image for P.J. O'Brien.
Author 4 books62 followers
August 21, 2015
A very good short story, free on smashwords.com. It's a nice blend of realistic tough choices and unexpected consequences. The tension around the ethical dilemma builds up perfectly.
Profile Image for Laurie Green.
Author 15 books30 followers
March 22, 2012
This well-written story takes you on a journey of discovery, then presents a quandary and a gut-punch outcome that feels all too real. A deft examination of the dark side of human nature, and human-made complications.

If you love a well-crafted Sci-Fi short story, I highly recommend this read!
Profile Image for AnnaM.
221 reviews
January 13, 2016
This excellent gem paints a vivid picture of life on the alien world of Ulto Marinos. Tension ratchets up until protagonist Myasi's choice.

I loved this story. The ending reminded me of stories I read as a teen. It was perfect.
Profile Image for Andra.
18 reviews2 followers
May 24, 2012
Great story, fast paced and incredibly descriptive. Loved the story and finished wanting MORE!
Profile Image for Frieda.
757 reviews1 follower
March 18, 2019
This short story has quipped my interest. Interesting idea.
Profile Image for Netanella.
4,180 reviews12 followers
June 24, 2017
The ending of this short scifi story stays with you for a long time, like a good Arthur C. Clarke can. Ethical choices reveal the dark side of human nature when encountered with the unknown versus personal ambition. I'm intrigued by the world revealed by the author. Nicely done.
Profile Image for Laurel.
Author 1 book31 followers
May 25, 2016
In The Bones of the Sea, we get a glimpse of Ulto Marinos, a mysterious world on which stranger things exist - namely, the Bones of the Sea. Ulto Marinos is the predominantly marine world Gethyon, Quin's son, travels to as a teen in Pippa Jay's novella, Gethyon.

This is a well-crafted short story in that - and typical of Pippa Jay's writing - one is left to muse over the final events in the story for a good while after one has finished reading it. Not everything is quite as it seems, and sometimes what one intends to do doesn't quite give the results one aims for. Which is quite amusing, really.

A quick read, and very well-written.

Merged review:

Myasi has been contracted to blow up an artefact known as The Bones of the Sea, some artificial structure that is getting in the way of seagrafters. She lays the final charge and returns to her ship - but a charge explodes prematurely. Myasi is sent back to learn why the charge blew, and discovers that the structure's door has opened thanks to the concussion, and a whirlpool sucks her in.

A quick read, very well-written, and somewhat reminiscent of Titan A.E.
Profile Image for Richard.
Author 30 books40 followers
March 29, 2013
A nice little short with some interesting ideas. Left me wondering a lot of things about the world and the protagonist. It seems more like the beginning of a novel that hasn't been written than a short to stand on its own... I stumbled several times over one coined word; but other than that, the writing is really competent. But why is the ebook double spaced, like a term paper?
Profile Image for nick.
348 reviews
May 24, 2016
this free short story was tricky to rate, on the one hand its classically intriguing but on the other its writing style is very jumpy an quick. hard to follow what was happening. felt like it needed in between bits.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.