Start by marking “Assault (Recon Team Angel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Assault (Recon Team Angel, #1)

Assault

(Recon Team Angel #1)

The first in a high octane sci-fi adventure series by best-selling and award-winning author, Brian Falkner.

It is 2030, and the world is at war with an alien race. The Bzadians. The battleground: Earth. Recon Team Angel, made up of teenagers from around the world, has been training for years. They have learned Bzadian languages. Learned how to operate their weapons. How to
Paperback
Published November 1st 2011 by Walker Books Australia

To ask other readers questions about Assault, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assault

Connor
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book with action and excitement. Great for COD and Halo lovers. Also a good book for science fiction lovers.
Chris Halkovic
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
The book I read was The Assault by: Brian Falkner. This book takes place in a post-alien invasion world were earth was invaded and what’s left has taken refuge in the Americas. They have heavily fortified the Americas to try to hold out versus the superior alien technology until they can create a battle plan to drive the aliens off the planet for good. The book takes place in the perspective of the 4th recon team, or “Angel”. They are a Special Forces unit created to take kids and train them to ...more
Matthew Collins
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book. I give out 5 stars a lot (I'm just really good at knowing whether I will like a book or not before I start it), and it sounds silly, but I even started looking for reasons to drop a star, but even if I felt there were faults, they got lost somewhere in my interest and investment of the story and I had to stick with a 5 out of 5 stars. Especially for a YA book, I felt the way he organized the military terms and proceedure was done really well. The story itself is very i ...more
Tammy Lewis
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: engl-420
Six teenagers, led by Lt. "Lucky" Ryan, undergo physical alterations and extensive training in order to infiltrate the invading alien headquarters on what was once called Australia. Upon landing in Australia Ryan learns one of his team is a traitor and tensions heighten when he finds another member of the squad dead in his sleeping bag with the sabotaged transmitter. With their communication cut, Ryan pushes the team through to their goal, Uluru. Once they make it inside the secretive rock they ...more
Jake
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jayden Ritchie
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this book. This book is not difficult to read, this book really gives you a inside perspective of what really goes on in a secret mission. I also believe this is a realistic book I know it has some aliens in it but the secret traitor gives it a realistic feel to it. If you are interested in sci-fi then this if for you. I would recommend this to readers who like action packed stories and love a real life story with twist and turns. Brian throws you off and leads one way then changes to the ...more
Sean McClennen
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
It was an action-packed pretty exciting book but I think it lacked depth and all of the characters said what they meant and did what they said. It was also good in many ways. The author created a large new dystopian future that was pretty complex and hard to get a grasp on. The characters like I said before were pretty one dimensional and just didn't interest me but a lot of things about it were so action packed I almost enjoyed reading it.
Meg
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had this finished basically within a day. I couldn't put it down. I look forward to getting my hands on the rest of the series. The plot reminded me of Tomorrow When the War Began only set in the future and with aliens. It had almost everything a good novel should have: action, comedic dialogue, the twist. This was a really great story.
Alyssa Shapland
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This definitely isn't the type of book I would read normally, but I found myself actually really enjoying it. You get right into the world of the story and the characters were all really gritty and interesting.
Vedant Mange
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very interesting story, a bit slow paced but overall enjoyable to read.
Sean Harding
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Not really high-octane whatever that means.
Brandon Dittmann
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kathy Martin
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This science fiction war story was filled with action. A group of six young people have been trained to infiltrate the headquarters of the alien invaders who said they were coming to seek refuge from their dying planet but who now want to take over the whole Earth. This is the story of how they managed to get into the fortress and what they found when they got there.

The leader of the group is sixteen-year-old Lieutenant Ryan Chisnall. The other group members are his Sergeant Holly Brogan, Specia
Bethany Miller
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it

Summary:
Earth has been invaded by the Bzadians, an Alien species who wants to exterminate humanity and claim the planet for their own. Recon Team Angel, made up of six teens who have been physically modified to look like Bzadians, has a special mission to infiltrate Uluru Military Base, assist in an attack, and investigate what is going on in this highly secret location. At the outset, only the team’s leader Lieutenant Chisnall knows the full extent of the plan, and the mission has just
Dan
By the description this book sounded really interesting. It proved to be a massive flop. I got 55% through it and just could not read another page.

Things I liked :::
- I liked the tech in this book. The half pipe (a parachute without a parachute), the automatic holster etc.
- And that was about it...

Things I didn't like :::
- Worst alien invasion ever!!! They have ships that can carry them all the way across the universe but once they get here they have to borrow all of the human tech to take over
Ms. Yingling
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
In the future (shortly before I can retire in 2038), the Earth has been taken over by aliens from Bzadia. It started with a plea from a small group to be allowed to take refuge in uninhabited areas of Australia, but before long they were attacking that area of the world and moving slowly and inexorably through Europe. Only the US has remained free, and the military there assembled a small team of teenagers who were modified to look like Bzadians and trained in their customs and language, as well ...more
Dracolibris
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Booktalk for middle school:
I am sure you have seen pictures, or even know someone, who is covered with tattoos.

But have you ever seen pictures of those people who have had their tongue surgically split in two, so it is forked like a snake’s?

How about the people who have had implants put in their heads, to make it look like they had horns?

What if you HAD to do that, for your job? Would you still do it?

What if your job was to save the world from an alien invasion?

That is the mission that Recon An
Carmel
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Set in 2030, the story follow a group of six military teenagers who have been specifically trained for this mission: to infiltrate the base of the alien race, the Bzadians, who have taken over most of the world. However, the mission becomes a lot more dangerous once the team leader learns that there is a traitor within the group. Now, he must get his team through this mission all while trying to find out who between is the traitor to the human race.

All the characters are interesting. Many of the
Dale
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The strength of the story is action and there certainly was plenty of that and it was well done.

This is the first in a series of books about teenage human soldiers used to infiltrate the ranks of alien invaders of Earth through secret missions.

The premise is that a group of aliens called Bzadians arrived at Earth and settled in the Australian Outback because it was most like their home. Their ships had no propulsion systems to let them take back off of Earth and humanity was persuaded to let the
Zach
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In the year 2030 an alien race has invaded earth and is trying to take it for themselves. Recon Team Angel, a squad of young soldiers and spy's, are forced to infiltrate enemy facilities and find information to help end the war between humanity and the Bzadians (the aliens). When slipping behind enemy lines Recon Team Angel will discover things that they never could imagine possible.

Recon Team Angel Deserves a 5/5 star rating because although it does not have the most original story-line it is w
William Bentrim
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Assault by Brian Falkner
Earth is invaded, the invaders are as biologically as close to us as chimpanzees and they are winning our planet. A team of teenage commandos infiltrate their most secure facility and wreak havoc.
My first reaction to the age of the commandos was tainted by the reality of child soldiers in the African conflicts. After I scrubbed that image from my mind I was able to focus on the story.
The story line is fine. The political logic regarding the arrival of the aliens see
Cole Ellwein
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

My reason for choosing this book was that it sounded interesting. Well turns out the book is based in Australia. The war with the aliens is going on and has been a stalemate for years so it is external conflict. Chiznall is dynamic from the begging to the end. He was strong, caring, good actor, and observant. "Brogan!" Chisnall tried to keep the relief out of his voice. "Are you okay?"(Falkner 196). The theme was basically I think impossible is nothing. One connection to the book is they are abo
Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book)
Review from my blog: www.headstuckinabook.blogspot.com

I actually gave this book 3.5/5
The story starts off in 2030 most of the world excluding New Zealand And America (which are now called free territories) have been taken over by aliens called Bzadian's.
They came claiming peace but instead plotted to take over the world and wipe out all of humanity, Australia is their base of operations in particular Uluru in the Northern Territory.
Six soldiers from around the world have been trained to imitate
Nadeem
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Assault
By Brian Falkner

Will the Angle recon team come out alive from the mission.

(Pg 186, Falkner)

'He flicked the safety off on the detonator.
Price jumped to her feet and began to run. Rounds split the air around her and puffs of white flicked up around her feet. The car was only meters behind her, closing in on the last pillar.
Chisnall's thumb moved over the firing button.
"Get down!" he yelled. There was an explosion below and the building shook as the tanks fired at the main door.He look
Kurtis Chan
I thought that this book was really interesting and how a turn of events can decide a life or death situation. From the beginning where someone tried to kill the leader of the Recon Team, Chisnall to infiltrating the alien base to end the war, it was a turn of events that nobody expected. Chisnall thought that everything went the way it was supposed to. But Chisnall thought wrong. He ended up almost getting caught by the enemy until he and his crew changed costumes. They also thought they had en ...more
Clayton Yuen
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This is the first novel in the series and it starts with a bang. Earth slowly taken over by aliens; how do we stop them? Well, before you can fight them, you have to infiltrate them .... in come the "modern" recon team.

A bunch of trained teenagers, chosen for their diminutive size (to match the aliens), are trained for the Angel Recon Team. They infiltrate the alien base in Australia to determine the aliens secret.

I give this YA novel by Brian Faulkner 5 stars because he has presented an awesome
Stanley Zhong
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think the book is really interesting with an unsuspected plot twist. The book contains action and war times but it has a little bit of romance and sci fi in the book. The book convinced me to read the rest of the series. I would definitely recommend the book to the children 10 and over who love action and sci fi. The book tells you a lot about think fast but sensibly on your feet and to be prepared for anything that might happen.
Cassidy Washburn
I KNEW IT! I knew who the traitor was! BOOYAH!

I really enjoyed the whole story line of this book. Just the thought of teenagers taking on some badass aliens was epic! Definitely make sure to read the Glossary of all the phrases used in the book because it really helped.

Some great aspects of the book were
1.) The characters were very likeable
2.) It keeps you guessing on who the traitor is (I knew who it was almost right away :P)
3.) The phrases and statements between characters were HILARIOUS! e
Kevin
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Elite group of teens in the military, dedicated to fighting the aliens who had overtaken earth. This elite unit undergoes intense training and even physical surgery to appear like the aliens in order to go on covert ops missions behind alien enemy lines. Someone within the unit may be siding with the aliens. What shocking experiment are the aliens attempting to keep secret? The secret is shocking! Great storyline, characters simple, the mission not simple.
Jack Dobbins
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was an absolute joy to read. Falkner kept me analyzing every detail which only fueled the mental image of Uluru that i was creating. I love that all characters were teenagers, this made it easy to engaged my focus and kept me flipping page after page. Everything from the fire-fights with the Alien parasites to infiltrating the enemies base kept me from putting the book down. A fantastic read. I highly recommend for teenagers and young adults alike.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities
  • The Fellowship for Alien Detection
  • Lost Train of Thought (The Seems, #3)
  • Outlaw
  • Virus Attack (Hero.Com, #2)
  • Ghosts (Hex, #3)
  • Earthfall (Earthfall, #1)
  • Eve of Destruction (Dark Eden, #2)
  • The Galahad Legacy (Galahad, #6)
  • Stronger: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #6)
  • Joshua Dread (Joshua Dread #1)
  • Rise of the Guardians Movie Novelization
  • Time Pullers
  • Mirage (Above World, #2)
  • The Cydonian Pyramid (The Klaatu Diskos, #2)

Recon Team Angel (4 books)
  • Task Force (Recon Team Angel #2)
  • Ice War (Recon Team Angel, #3)
  • Vengeance (Recon Team Angel, #4)