Start by marking “Alice The Fairy” as Want to Read:
Alice The Fairy

Alice The Fairy

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  6,468 Ratings  ·  307 Reviews
Alice has a nose for trouble, but luckily she's a fairy--a Temporary Fairy. She has a magic wand, fairy wings, and a blanket, all of which she uses to disappear, to fly, to transform her dad into a horse, and to turn his cookies into her own! There are still a few things Alice needs to learn to become a Permanent Fairy, like how to float her dog on the ceiling and make her ...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Blue Sky Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Alice The Fairy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice The Fairy

midnightfaerie
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
We love David Shannon and this was a fun book, but we've loved some of his others more. Not sure if it was the story line or that my boys all somewhat tuned out because it was about a "girl" and a "fairy" no less, but I still thought it was cute, and my 5 yr old laughed we he came across some similarities between the fairy and himself. Somewhere around a level 2 reading book for beginners, if you're interested.
Miriam
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Parents who think it's cute when their kids behave badly
Shelves: picture
At what age do girls pretend to be fairies? 3? 4? The voice seemed really uneven to me some of Alice's behavior seemed very young (or least I would hope so) but at other times the grammar, vocabulary, and especially the self-consciousness seemed much older.
Susan
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm tired of broccoli slamming.
Adriana Cole
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Fjóla
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Candide and adorable! This falls into the same category as the David books, but whereas these are for toddlers, Alice can work for slightly older kids, up to preschoolers and kindergartners. We first encountered No, David! when my son was two years old, as it was often read to his class in nursery school. I was new to children's books and I had an epiphany when I realized how powerful and visceral this book was, with its grotesque pictures and basic text. I saw it in the wide open eyes of the li ...more
Emma
Dec 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I'll admit it, at first I was a little put off by David Shannon's illustrations, both in this and his No, David! series. They're kind of creepy, with lopsided arms and big spaces between the teeth and other adults I've spoken to have said the same. However, I've never heard a kid say anything of the sort, they just love his books. So I gave Shannon a chance.

Alice's story is telling you all about how she's a Temporary Fairy and all the things that means she can do (and some things that only Perma
Angela
This is a story about our temporary fairy Alice, who has not passed her permanent fairy tests. She tells you all the magical things she can do as a temporary fairy, which really aren't all that magical. This is a great book for students who are a fan of David Shannon books, and his art work. It is great to introduce reading strategies, since there are some difficult words such as temporary, permanent, and broccoli. Its for children who love a little humor in their books. It offers very interesti ...more
Anabel
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another David Shannon book, but this time through the eyes of a little girl named Alice. This book definitely appeals to a young girl audience and basically portrays a girl who wants to be a fairy. Alice is just a “temporary” fairy not a permanent fairy, which means she cannot do a lot of magic yet. She practices her magical powers on her father, her dog, and things throughout her house. I like to think of Alice as the female version of David Shannon’s mischievous character, David. Students in ...more
Linda Lipko
Alice lets the reader know upfront that she is only a temporary fairy. Becoming a permanent fairy requires a lot of test and she isn't up for the challenge. Instead, she uses her imagination to perform tricks such as turning her father into a horse , turning all the cookies baked for her dad into her own possession. She makes the leaves fall and uses sugar for fairy dust on oatmeal.

Alice is a likable, brat-like adventurer. She is good at getting into trouble as a result of her limited abilities
Rebecca
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
David Shannon is an amazing writer and illustrator. This book is good to talk about how this little girl changes up things to become a fairy. For instances, when she turns off the light, the author puts it in a way that the girl is using to turn off the light. Not only it is a cute book to read to the children, but it is an excellent book to talk about temporary and permanent by using context to figure out the meanings of the words.
Kate
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Cute and honest in the way it portrays childhood play. I was going to use this book for a French storytime but it's a bit complicated for those still learning the language. I could see using this book as part of an English storytime since, in spite of the fact that the story focuses on an girl who wants to be a fairy, Shannon tells the story in a way that keeps in from being gender specific. This is a story about imagination that just happens to be about a girl rather than a "girl's book."
Joan Oegema
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I like to tell my kindergarten friends Alice is David's (from No, David! and David Goes to School)sister. I think David Shannon is relying on his childhood memories to create the stories about David and Alice the Fairy. I love the way Alice describes he attempts to be a fairy and the childlike drawings compliment the book. Alice is a great character who gives us all permission to use our imagination the pretend to be whatever we want to be. Thank you David Shannon for such delightful books.
Jen Morrow
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My two and three year old daughters loved this book about Alice, a part-time fairy, whose wizardry extends from making cake out of oatmeal to attempting to make a dog fly. This is a favorite to read again and again.
Amy
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-childhood
My 5 year old and I (mostly I) absolutley love this book. From a mom's point of view it is so dang funny. The illustrations are so cute they make my laugh so hard I have tears rolling down my cheeks. This story is the epitome of my little girls.
Angie
Oct 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Really an almost four stars. I like David Shannon even more after hearing him speak this summer.

And who wouldn't love this line ...
""One time, my mom made cookies for my dad. So I turned them in to mine." (Alice is talking about her magic wand and learning how to use it.)
Jeanette
May 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite children's book. Alice is a temporary fairy, practicing all her fairy magic tricks on everyone and everything. The imagination in the story is adorable, and the illustrations are just too cute.
Marissa Morrison
Jul 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s
Alas, zero stars isn't an option. Open the book and right on page one you'll see "alot." Apparently seventh graders are now in charge at Scholastic.

Cheryl
Apr 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
I was unimpressed by some of the content given that is directed at small children.

Brittani
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alice is the type of child who is known not only for mischief but also for her wild imagination. Alice wants to be a real life fairy but first, she has to go through training. With her magic wand and brain power, Alice creates these vivid adventures which according to the illustrations are nothing more your average child's play. This was one of my most favorite books as a kid, and I love it even more as an adult. I love how creative Shannon is able to capture of imagination in the words and make ...more
Maria Garcia
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alice, the main character of this story about fairies calls herself a temporary fairy. She only considers herself a temporary fairy and not a permanent fairy because she can only do some tricks and cast some spells. She cannot do permanent fairy tricks and spells. After running around the house trying to do several permanent fairy tricks Alice comes to realize that she will never get the chance to go to advanced fairy school and she is okay with that. This book shows the massive imagination that ...more
Taylor Madison
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Alice is a temporary fairy who goes around and changes objects with her magic wand. Some of the things she does with her wand are making her dad a horse and making the cookies on a table hers. She is not able to fly however, since only permanent fairies can do that. I liked this book when reading it since it’s a cute little story of a girl using her imagination. I also really enjoyed the illustrations in the book, Alice was doing activities that most kids her age typically do, such as not eating ...more
Lauren Williams
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story because of the main character, Alice. She uses her imagination and her family helps influence her creativity. I think this story is important because adults have such a huge impact on children and can make or break their overall childhood experience for them. This story would be a light-hearted read-aloud and students could share moments they have experienced that relate to Alice. If this were a loosely planned activity, I would allow students to dress up and create the ...more
Joan
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alice the Fairy uses her magic wand to change frogs into princes and things like that. Alice’s magic can make leaves fall from trees and turn oatmeal into cake. She can even disappear [sometimes]! Alice knows it’s very useful to be a fairy, even if her spells don’t always turn our quite right. What will Alice do with her magic wand?

Enchanting illustrations accompany the captivating story of Alice the Fairy. Young readers will laugh at her antics and delight in this charming story that encourages
Goshen PL Childrens
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: staff-favorites
Read at Storytime on July 26th
Theme: Favorite Stories

I really love this book. It is told in the voice of Alice, who is pretending to be a fairy. On of my favorite pages is where she turns her Dad's cookies into hers! She is working on learning how to make clothes get up off the floor and dance around and line up into the closet, but she isn't very good at that. It is just a fun story to read with preschoolers.
Rachel
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was cute to read and fun to read. It also has a good lesson because it teaches kids they can do what they want and be what they want. It would be a good book to read to students because it was a book with a good lesson and also good illustrations to keep the kids entertained so they keep paying attention. It was a good book for younger ages and I would recommend it to teachers.
Rae B.
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a library book winner for us in terms of bedtime reading requests, but beware - if you have a child who enjoys eating broccoli, don't read this book. It includes a bit about a parent "poisoning broccoli" with butter and that it should never be eaten. Grrr...now my child won't eat broccoli any more.
Aviecayl Uy
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
There were adorable illustrations in "Alice the Fairy" by David Shannon, and I liked how it was both magical and realistic at the same time. It was funny at times, too. But... why did it have to end like that? It was... sad. Anyway, my actual rating for this was 3.5/5 stars.
Smita
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: gavin
Cute book but some errors peeve me: a lot is 2 words and an adverb should be used here: "I felt bad[ly]." It's only by using proper grammar that kids will learn from an early age how to speak & write appropriately.
Ally Lindley
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like this story because it tells the story from the point of view of a child who believes themselves to be a fairy. For some reason or another, this point of view is very entertaining to see through as I once thought that way myself.
Lyrical Librarian
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Alice is a typical kid; the text and pictures express that age beautifully. I don't know if this book is more for parents of 3 year old girls, or for the kids themselves, but my 3 year old asked for it again, so I think she identified with Alice. The "fairy dust" is brilliant.
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • More Parts (Parts, #2)
  • Ladybug Girl
  • Dear Mrs. LaRue: Letters from Obedience School
  • The Sandwich Swap
  • Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?
  • My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother
  • Big Chickens
  • Pinkalicious
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
David Shannon is the author and illustrator of many highly praised books for children. Born in Washington, D.C., he grew up in Spokane, Washington. He graduated from the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, with a fine arts degree, and then moved to New York City. His editorial illustrations have appeared in The New York Times, Time, and Rolling Stone, and his artwork has appeared ...more
More about David Shannon