Start by marking “Take the Stairs: 7 Steps to Achieving True Success” as Want to Read:
Take the Stairs: 7 Steps to Achieving True Success

Take the Stairs: 7 Steps to Achieving True Success

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  1,469 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
Do you ride the escalator-or take the stairs? No matter how you define success, it always requires one thing: self-discipline. But as popular speaker and strategist Rory Vaden explains, we live in an "escalator world"-one that's filled with shortcuts, quick fixes, and distractions that make it all too easy to slide into procrastination, compromise, and mediocrity. What se ...more
Published February 7th 2012 by Perigee Books (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Take the Stairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take the Stairs

Kimberly Novosel
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rory Vaden's Take the Stairs isn't just a book. It isn't a system that you'll try and forget over time. It is truly a new way of thinking that becomes natural the more you practice it, so much so that you won't believe you hadn't been thinking that way all along. I have found myself to be more productive in work than ever before, more joyful in my time with family and friends, more rested in my down time, and all around more driven and satisfied with life. You may hesitate to read this because y ...more
Donna
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This book suffers by comparison. Before I even picked this one up, I had just read a much better book about the same thing so immediately this was bugging me. This one came across as all hype to me. And I think the "7" steps has been done already. The author should have chosen something different to make his book sound different and not to blend in with the rest.
Loy Machedo
Apr 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Take the Stairs by Rory Vaden.

Let me tell you a secret.
The good.
The bad.
And
The ugly.

The Good.
I have followed Rory Vaden’s Toastmaster growth ever since he gave his diabolically disastrous debut performance at 2006 International Speech Contest; Only to follow it up with a World Class Mind Blowing Performance in the year 2007.
In all honesty, Rory should have won the 1st place in the Toastmasters World Championship of Public Speaking. Instead he was given a pitiful s
May-Ling
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: working-smart
this book is all about strategies for self discipline, and i agree with the author that in this day and age, there's more of a need for it than ever. the book is very readable and well-organized. i've taken the stairs since i've been reading it, so he's accomplished something with his metaphor!

i appreciated his idea of creating unacceptable consequences in different situations. when you need to succeed, you can do things to push yourself when you don't give yourself the easy out.

rory also acknow
Janette Fuller
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Rory Vaden believes we live in an "escalator world"... one that is filled with shortcuts, quick fixes and distractions that make it all too easy to procrastinate, compromise and fall into mediocrity. "Take The Stairs" is about self-discipline and doing things you don't want to do in the short term to bring success in the long term.

Mr Vaden shares seven steps to achieving true success in this book. These steps are;

Sacrifice
Commitment
Focus
Integrity
Schedule
Faith
Action

The author uses case studies an
Emily
Aug 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Do you ever read books, knowing full well that you'll dislike everything about it? I call it hate-reading, and that's definitely what I did with this poorly written little volume of self-help advice. I received this from a leadership workshop I attended recently and was skeptical from the start.

Rory Vaden's book is founded on a number of assumptions that are very frustrating to any reader that favors concrete evidence and data over gross generalizations. Rory doesn't have a single citation or f
Laura Thompson
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
What I love most about this book is that it reinforces what we all know and that is that hard work, persistence, and sweat equity is and always will be the key to success. There is no magic pill. There is no 4 hour body. There is only self discipline. I love this quote from the book

“Success is never owned; it is only rented – and the rent is due every day.”

The reason I love this is because you can replace the word "success" with whatever goal you are striving for

"Fitness is never owned; it is on
Cindy
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Common sense book on "taking the stairs" - that is, doing what most will not do to achieve success. It can be summed up as the Law of Inertia. A body in motion stays in motion - take action!
Daniel Dawson
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book on success. The author is a Christian.

“The real secret to success has more to do with action than attraction.”

“We have to be willing to go to the level of the ridiculous. Which is why I decided awhile back to start taking the stairs everywhere instead of taking the escalator. It’s a symbolic gesture, but people all around me have noticed it.”

“Simply stated, there are only two types of activities: things we feel like doing and things we don’t. And if we can learn to make ourselves do
Jim Keairns
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I began reading this book I encountered what I felt were some inaccurate generalizations, and I considered not reading it until the end. But another author I was already familiar with and deeply respect lent her praise to this book so I decided I should keep going. And it wasn't long before I was won over, and by the end of the book I was fully convinced of the value of Rory Vaden's insight and advice. His own experience combined with the expansive wisdom of other successful individuals mak ...more
Sean Goh
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pers-dev, biz
The kind of book you should buy and put into practice a principle every week to maximise value.

Successful people have all had to do things they didn't feel like doing in order to get where they are.
We will always continue doing the things we want to do. So then the only real question is: Do we have what it takes to do the things we know are good for us even when we don't feel like doing them?

Procrastination and indulgence are nothing more than creditors who charge us interest.

A sacrifice isn't
Kathleen
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it
There were snippets of value to me, but overall the book was too simplistic in it's approach. It seemed to me that the target audience was 17 (ish). I'm well past that age, but would recommend to a younger reader.
Amy Barton
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a while back and I keep re reading it. Rory Vaden is truly mind opening. It changes your perspective on the way you see and view things. After reading this book your life won't ever be the same
Madisson
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read, 2015-read
Such a great book! So applicable to everyone in all walks of life. Highly recommended!
Jennifer FitzPatrick
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book about how to incorporate more discipline into your life so you can more quickly achieve your goals. I particularly recommend this to my college age students.
Linda
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Great idea (taking the long view, etc). Agree with many of his ideas but it ends up sounding like an ad for Southwestern sales.
Anna
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Do yourself a favor and read it.
Christina DeVane
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This was an excellent motivational book to be all you can be and push yourself farther than you think you can go. My favorite part was about the harvest seasons and how to focus on one goal and just work hard until it's accomplished.
Cory Grizzle
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rory Vaden has a no nonsense way of explaining straight paths to success. I picked up this book for motivation in my business and thought of many ways to apply these principles to my everyday life. These are not paths that have not been introduced to me before, but the author revisits these ideas so that I am inspired to apply them now, where I am in my life.
Svetlana Kurilova
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rory Vaden points out common flaws that stop so many of us from achieving our true potential. It gets uncomfortable at times to know that someone can see you through without even knowing you personally. But it is nice to know that my problem or my struggle is not unique and there are millions of ppl have the same challenges. On top of that, there is the way to face it and overcome it.

If you don't have time to read the book, at least watch the YouTube video where Rory Vaden introduces the Paradox
Wendy Kendall
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Given the choice, do you take the stairs or the escalator? Rory Vaden tells us that this choice will land you in two different destinations.

This book will convince you that taking the stairs is a mind-set. It’s a belief that hard work in the short run brings long-term benefits. Making the escalator choice, which requires less effort in the short run, will lead to diminished long-term rewards. The philosophy is that there are no shortcuts in life. Do the work to the best of your ability, and in t
Zade
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Vaden is the embodiment of the theory he presents. He made his way up from poverty by hard work. His basic premise is that by refusing to take the easy way out in even the simplest of situations (taking the stairs instead of the escalator), a person develops the mental muscles to endure hard work, face set-backs, and eventually succeed despite any and all obstacles. Essentially, he's promoting the development of obstacle immunity. He blends his "get tough" approach with an insistence on morality ...more
Leon Schmitz
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not your typical business self-help cheese! Entertaining and insightful!

I was introduced to Rory Vaden and this book from the December 23, 2014 "Beyond the To Do List" podcast where Rory Vaden was a guest and discussing his new book "Procrastinate on Purpose". Let me start by saying, I'm not one who gets into "self-help" style books as I find many of them full of nothing but cheesy rhetoric and silly catch phrases. I was drawn to listen to that specific podcast because, as many people, I am a se
Katherine
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Powerful. Invigorating. Inspiring.

"My hope is that this book has rejuvenated your hope in a truth that will modify your thoughts, influence your behaviors, and inevitably change your life." (192)

And honestly, that's exactly what this book has done for me. As a college student plagued by the minutiae of life and fallen victim to its many temptations, I can testify that this book is a must-read.
Holly
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How does it compare to others:
I've been listening to a lot of Personal development audiobooks while I walk in the evenings or during mundane tasks at work. The last book was Grit and this book was an excellent chaser. It really made me want to buckle in and get to work. I have renewed determination and some very solid tools to be successful.

What's your favorite part:
"Success is never owned, only rented. Every...single...day." I also liked the story about lifetime measured with a tape measure and
Lindy
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is full of quotes that could hang on my wall. Vaden is no nonsense. The things we want require work. Over consistent periods of time. However, I like that he is very optimistic. We can all do big things, the big things we want and are willing to spend the time and effort to acquire. I liked that Vaden read and studied commonalities in successful people and that he applied and shared his own experiences of success. Just a handful of great quotes:

"What if we adopt the habit to Take the S
Joey Nguyen
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A positive uplifting book that provides an easy read for motivation & encouragement to getting necessary work done. I kept going back to the book whenever I needed inspiration to get moving & into that "productive" mindset Vaden clearly points the reader towards.

While I throughly enjoyed the book as a whole, there was just one lengthy example provided in the commitment section that I found particularly disturbing. It was titled "Unwavering Belief" on page 65 (Vietnamese version) and det
Christopher Hedges
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I met Rory while he was in Tampa as the keynote speaker for a Toastmasters conference. He was a skilled and interesting speaker with a track record of success, and that's why I ended up picking up his book from the back of the room.

It was a good book, but it was really all of the material he covered from the stage with a little additional detail here and there; I was a little disappointed by that. I think he covered some good information that got into what you need to do if you want to be succes
Meagan
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement

While I throughly enjoyed the book as a whole, there was just one lengthy example provided in the commitment section that I found particularly disturbing. It was titled "Unwavering Belief" on page 65 and details a woman who attr
Charmin
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: growth
Highlights:
1. Three faces of an action: fear, entitlement, perfectionism.

2. Success means we have to develop the self-discipline to get ourselves to do things we don't want to do.

3. Choices that are easy in the short-term are often in direct conflict with what makes life easier in the long term.

4. It's the person who makes the sacrifice that gets the gift sometimes in ways we wouldn't have expected.

5. Classic procrastination waiting to do the things that we struggle with.

6. Unconscious procras
  • Fearless Leadership: How To Overcome Behavioral Blind Spots And Transform Your Organization
  • Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All
  • Can't Buy Me Like
  • The Future of Management
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Collaborate or Perish!: Reaching Across Boundaries in a Networked World
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • Tuesday Morning Coaching ... Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • Business Secrets from the Bible: Spiritual Success Strategies for Financial Abundance
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • 20,000 Days and Counting: The Crash Course For Mastering Your Life Right Now
  • The Trust Edge: How Top Leaders Gain Faster Results, Deeper Relationships, and a Stronger Bottom Line
  • Teamwork 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • The Power of Ambition
  • Joy, Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love
“It’s okay to be scared—do it scared. It’s okay to be unsure—do it unsure. It’s okay to be uncomfortable—do it uncomfortable. Just get started where you are. That is the attitude of the most disciplined and successful people on the planet. You” 3 likes
“If you’re like most people in the world today, then you have read fewer than five books cover to cover in your lifetime. According to one major American publisher, 95% of all books that are purchased are never completely read.” 1 likes