Start by marking “Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)” as Want to Read:
Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)

Summer Knight

(The Dresden Files #4)

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  113,319 ratings  ·  3,679 reviews
Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden is a very powerful wizard and a dedicated private eye. He is also a wise cracking trouble magnet. Fueled by a tempest of guilt, sleep deprivation, malnutrition, bad temper and frankly awful personal grooming. Harry is hurtling toward oblivion. According to Harry that is nobody's business but his own.

The Winter Queen of Faerie manipulate
Audible Audio, Audible Unabridged, 11 pages
Published June 10th 2009 by Buzzy Multimedia (first published September 3rd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Summer Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Knight

·  113,319 ratings  ·  3,679 reviews

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
“Uh, Ms. Sommerset, I presume,” I managed finally. No one can do suave like me. If I was careful, I should be able to trip over something and complete the image. “I’m Harry Dresden.”

And so the tale of this fourth book begins. *lol* After the happenings in book three Harry is not only obsessed with finding a way to cure Susan but also let a lot of other things slide in order to attain his goal. For instance his job and personal hygiene… And that is just the beginning, really. XD

There’s an endles
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
This is the fourth book in the Dresden Files Series. I was just in awe with this book! Also I love the character development. I just wish that Bob had a bigger part in the series.I just love Bob! The books so far seem to get better and better.
The villains are varied and enjoyable, and pulled from fairy tales and legends. They include mean plant monsters, psycho fairies, pixies, unicorns and more.

Harry Dresden, professional wizard, has practically become a recluse since he lost his girlfriend. A
Philip
2.75ish stars.

I hope no one's offended if I call this series a guilty pleasure. :) There's finally some semblance of a coherent plot and as a result this is the best book so far.

Drinking game for this book: every time Harry says the word "sensual" or one of its derivations.
Will M.
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never considered reading about faeries, but it was a mandatory thing for me to do so because I really like the Dresden Files. Harry Dresden is no doubt one of my favorite fictional characters. Witty and crazy will always be a perfect match.

This novel was about faeries, and thrones. I really enjoyed how Butcher portrayed both. I've never read anything faerie related so I had no background knowledge of them. Based on the first three novels, Butcher is known for putting his own twists in the supe
Heidi The Reader
Harry Dresden, a wizard-for-hire, is in the thick of it. He's started a war between the vampires and wizards and the White Council is not happy about it. And, there's the small matter of his former girlfriend, Susan, who's been infected with vampire blood.

Can he save her from a terrible fate? Can he save himself?

Then, there's Karrin Murphy, the head of the supernatural department at the Chicago PD. She's suffering from nightmares caused by the last adventure that Harry brought to her doorstep. W
Gergana
Fanart and random comics done by me. :D Please don't sue.

When everyone kept telling me to skip the first three books, I didn't believe there would be such a difference!! No, the series are still not going in my list of favorites, nor are they getting a 5 star rating (only time will tell), but my level of enjoyment jumped from -50 to +100.

WHAT I LIKE NOW
- The Narrator of the audiobook is probably one of the best ones I've ever heard! He fits Harry perfectly, and his voice variations and acting
Robin (Bridge Four)
Buddy read began April 27th on Buddies Books and Baubles

Look you know it is going to be a bad day when it starts out raining toads, there is an assassination attempt on your life, you girlfriend is avoiding you (she has some changes to deal with), you can’t find your good robe for your impending trial with the White Council and Mab shows up at your office.

At this point you’d probably be better off going back to bed. But since you inadvertently started a war between The Red Court of Vampires and
TS Chan
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars.

According to fans of the series, this is where the Dresden Files supposedly start to get better, and I won't disagree as this was quite an improvement from Grave Peril.

The plot in the last book felt quite haphazard. Moreover, the character development of Harry, as intriguing as his backstory is concerned, annoyed me as he seemed to be able to ever 'dig deeper' into his power reserves from out of nowhere, powered by rage or something else which escaped my comprehension. In Summer Knigh
Lyn
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some Fairies, Puck, Oberon, Rob Anybody, Tinkerbell, Rumpelstiltskin, and Jareth gather in the Never Never to play Dungeons and Dragons and discuss Jim Butcher’s 2002 Harry Dresden novel Summer Knight.

Puck: Jareth, has anyone ever told you that you look like David Bowie?

Jareth: I get that all the time, you have no idea.

Puck: So what do you know about the fourth Dresden book, Summer Knight?

Rob: We dinna know anythin'!

Tinkerbell: tinkle!

Rumpelstiltskin: I liked it actually, plenty of action, some
Paul
Aug 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I start gnawing on the book, let me first say that I enjoy Butcher's writing overall. He does good character, a romping pace, and makes me care about his protagonists. In fact, Butcher's a good enough writer that he enters the "good enough to realize his mistakes, which makes it so frustrating when he misses them" category. So...yes...he's quite good.

But....

This is definitely the lesser of the 1st four books. I'm muchly bothered by the severe escalation of the power scale in this book, as
Ivan
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
First half: 2 stars
Second half: 4 stars

I read many times that series gets lot better from this point on but I didn't see it. From my angle it's same as previous books with all the good and bad stuff. Harry tends to be whiny and wallow in self pity, story is predictable and follows similar pattern like all previous books.

On the other hand when it gets good than it's really fun. There is well written action, mystery(even though it's predictable it's still fun) and interesting world which I always
Shannon
This is a revised review as of 4/14/2013.

The strength of this novel is on the world building and character of Harry Dresden with a plot that moves along fast. One thing you can always say about the recent books is that they are fun and fast reads. This presumes you're a fan of Harry (a wise-cracking detective for hire style wizard, who had a tendency to piss off a lot of people) and the writing style. In fact if you don't like Harry then you shouldn't be reading these books.

In book four, he's
Hannah
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, fantasy
That was so much fun! I wasn't convinced about this series before - it was nice enough to read but Dresden got on my nerves so bad with his white knighting and his deciding who gets to know what and who is capable of protecting themselves (hint: women aren't). But this time around I really enjoyed it, very much so. A lot of that enjoyment comes from James Marsters' absolutely brilliant performance that lend Dresden a humanity and humility that I didn't see before. The voice work fits the charact ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Harry Dresden, the wizard/private investigator, is depressed: major girlfriend troubles, problems making rent, various and sundry supernatural beings trying to kill him, outstanding obligations to the Fae that are equally likely to result in his death, and issues with the governing council of wizards, who want to turn Harry over to the vampire council who -- you got it -- also want Harry dead.

Several people told me to just start with this book, #4 in the Dresden urban fantasy series, if I wanted
Lindsey Rey
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, fantasy, mystery
[4.5 Stars]
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Summer Knight starts with Harry in a very dark place. He is reeling from the fact that his girlfriend has left him, and she's been changed into a near-vampire by the Red Court of Vampires. He feels personally responsible, and is desperate for a way to help her. This despair has affected him to a deep level, and he's barely functioning, living in a pig-sty, and not even taking cases or taking care of himself. It was very hard to see him like that. And things don't get better for Harry. Because he ...more
Otila
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, audiobook

I really enjoy listening to this series and this book has been my favorite so far.

Of course it does, James, don't be silly.

Aside from James Marsters ear-gasms, I'm really starting to get into the overarching storyline that seems to be developing.

On to the next one!

Apatt
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It has been two years since I read a “Dresden Files” book, Grave Peril, I enjoyed it a lot but not much of it lingered and while I intended to get back to the series, I felt there is no rush to do so. Still, these books are always fun reads, and sometimes the simple enjoyment is just what I need after a tedious day at work. Time for another wild ride with Wizard Dresden.

The Dresden Files is an urban fantasy / hardboiled detective series set mostly in modern-day Chicago, featuring cocky “consulti
Conor
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another strong installment in the Dresden series. This one picked up where the last one left off very nicely with the introduction of some cool characters and an introduction to the White Council, the political leaders of the wizards, and all the scheming and backbiting that comes with them, which Harry finds himself caught in the middle of. There was also the unexpected return of a character who has been talked about quite a bit in the first few books. (view spoiler) ...more
Emma
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet again on a reread, a Harry Dresden book goes from 4 to 5 stars.
This book was all action and very funny. Dresden is in trouble with the council after the trouble with the vampire courts of the previous book. This book however is all about faerie. Winter and Summer are in a battle for supremacy and only Dresden can save the day..
I loved the plant monster at the garden centre (or chloro-fiend). The final faerie battle scene was epic and visual. There were scarlet-and blue-skinned ogres in faeri
Ashley
This re-read has been a success so far. Weird, but good weird. It was weird revisiting the first three books, which I originally didn't like enough to continue the series, on audio for the first time. I knew that James Marsters was a huge part of the reason I ended up liking this series so much, but I don't think I realized just how much until starting this re-read. I liked the first three books more on re-read in large part because I'm invested in this world and these characters now, but it's a ...more
Nicholas Karpuk
To reiterate my criticism of the series as a whole: Harry Dresden is a stupid, narcissistic, nerd (nerdcissist?) who's first impulse when it comes to problem solving is to run into the villain's lair and shout "Who's making all the bad magic!" and then get surprised when people attempt to murder him.

The cover art for all these books, and the casting choice for the television show give me the impression that Butcher views Dresden as a sort of wizardly Han Solo, a roguish figure marginalized by bo
Evgeny
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
There is a war going on between Red Court of Vampires and White Council of the Wizards started by none other than Harry Dresden. The vampires agree to end it if the Council surrenders Dresden to them. The Council is happy to end the war, but giving up one of their own would create a bad precedent. Dresden can convince the Council not to give him up by bringing an alliance with a fairy court (there are two, any one will do). The fairies give the alliance if Dresden can solve seemingly unrelated m ...more
Brent
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, fantasy
Really starting to enjoy this series.

Props to Harry for finally starting to trust Murphy and stop making his life needlessly difficult with misapplied chivalry.
Nicole
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, urban-fantasy
So much better than the last 3.
David Sven
Another solid entry in the Dresden Universe. James Marsters as audio narrator has really come into his own since the first book to the point where I can't imagine anyone else being the voice of Harry Dresden. His rendition of other characters and creatures has just improved out of sight as well.

The pace of this book took a bit of a hit compared to his previous books, with a large chunk of the middle taken up with a lot of dialogue and world building. We learn a lot about the fairy courts. And I
Karla
4 Stars! This is urban fantasy, not romance, but I want to jump in the book, lay Harry flat out on his back, and have my way with him! What a yummy wizard!

Another stand out installment in this series. A kick-ass plot, lots of laugh out loud moments, amazing world building, and the knowledge that there will be more, more, more! Loved Billy the Werewolf and his crew! Harry can't keep his eyes in his head when the female werewolves get naked...naughty wizard!

James Marsters as narrator, makes this
Roy
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadnt really like the previous 3 all that much but I was heavily convinced by a friend that I should. I'm glad I did. Great fun, the larger world is explored a little more, characters are fleshed out more. It seemed more together and it feels like Butcher is building towards something. Definitely going to continue with this series.
Igor Ljubuncic
Average, 3 stars.

This is the fourth book in the series, and it's the first that I felt decidedly meh about.

Overall, it's classic Dresden - mystery, supernatural powers, and such. So far so good.

But that dude what helped him "mysteriously" in book 2 (or 3) is suddenly gone, and there's a new sidekick. I don't like these almost random additions.

Then, this is the first book without a real investigative plot. It's about Harry being tired and harried by the evil faeries, and too many fight scenes aga
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Another Harry Dresden audiobook, another winner! I ADORE this series!

The audiobook for this series is simply sensational! Sure, James Marsters doesn't have a wide range of voices and sure, he wetly clears his throat a lot, but you know what? I don't care! He IS Harry Dresden and DAMN does he make these books come alive.

An excellent listen and another fabulous visit to my favorite wizard of them all!

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Doubletake (Cal Leandros, #7)
  • Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Magic City: Recent Spells
“You backbiting, poisonous, treacherous, deceitful, wicked, clever girl. If this works I'll buy you a pony.” 445 likes
“In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!” 388 likes