Start by marking “Unchained (Nephilim Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
Unchained (Nephilim Rising, #1)

Unchained

(Nephilim Rising #1)

Between the pissed off creatures that want demon-hunter Lily Marks dead and the fallen angel who just...wants her, Lily is about ready to trade in forever for a comfy job in a cubicle farm.

Published September 17th 2013 by Entangled: Edge

To ask other readers questions about Unchained, please sign up.
Bianca Wait? What? Then why the hell is it called Nephilim Rising #1? It obviously implies there will / should be more.
GIVE US MORE!
Dominique super late reply but if you havent read Susan Ee's "Angel Fall" series you may like it. I really enjoyed it, and Richelle Mead's "Succubus Blues" has…moresuper late reply but if you havent read Susan Ee's "Angel Fall" series you may like it. I really enjoyed it, and Richelle Mead's "Succubus Blues" has though modern, urban, religious traits as well. With romance and humor. (less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
The premise doesn't break any grounds: it's your traditional Urban Fantasy involving Angels and their line of mythology, with a rampant amount of sex---that's not actual penetration sex (more on that later). It was a very fast read; whatever problems I have with Jennifer Armentrout's books, it is never her writing. The writing is straightforward, the book is easy to read, and a fast, light one.

It was not a terrible book by any means, but it was far from perfect. In a good urban fantasy, as in an
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that I need more stars. Five just doesn't seem enough. I loved Unchained that much. There aren't enough adjectives to describe this book but some that come to mind are Fabulous, Sweet, Sexy, Heartbreaking, Heart Stopping.......and the list could go on and on.

First, our heroine is Lily. Lily is brave, snarky, loyal and yet she has that sweet, and a little bit naive side to her as well. You see, Lily is a Nephilim. She has always known that this is the life she wants, th
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: entangled, jla
Unchained Review on K-Books

First of all let me just say how insanely excited I am that I have finally read this book. I heard about this book back in 2011 when I first discovered the genius that is Jennifer L Armentrout. I had just devoured a review copy of Obsidian, the first book in her YA Lux Series followed by Half-Blood, the first book in her YA Covenant series, and I could not wait to get my hands on more... including this adult Urban Fantasy book. Two YEARS later and I have finally read i
Rachel Reads Ravenously
DNF at about 100 pages in.

Well I never thought I'd see the day where I couldn't make it through a JLA book but here we are. This honestly didn't read at all like her books usually do. The writing felt fairly awkward the entire time.
It could also just be me and my reading slump. Maybe I'll come back to this another day.
Jurate
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I will begin with confession... When I started to read , I looked at the end of book to know who is the bad guy... I always do that and then I always regret it
tumblr l8ur7y Zo4 I1qb1mbuo1 500

But still always do that...

So, anyway , about book...
This is Julian
sebastian rulli 3024981024

And this is my Lily
500full

At first I didn't get about all Nephilim stuff ...
tumblr m1f2b9spgh1qa3nkxo2 r1 500

But I read further and clearly it became much more interesting .

I liked Julian's and Lily's relationships.
tumblr m7hj522v SQ1rsg8fn

No mather all their difficulties and differences they still stay together.

The sex was HOT
gifs 205

The
Plamena
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 STARS!!!!

From the moment I started reading "Unchained" I knew I would love it.

J. Lynn/ Jennifer Armentrout is an amazing author. The stories and the worlds she creates in her books are so perfect that you can never forget them. This book is no exception. The plot was VERY interesting. The book was full with action, suspense, heartbreak, mystery and lots of steamy moments!! There were fallen angels, demon-hunters and possessed humans.

Lily is a Nephilim and hunts (and kills) demons and fallen a
Mariana
Aug 29, 2012 marked it as to-read
I'm adding this book because J. Armentrout is an amazing writer and I'm in love with all her books.

So, EEEP!;)
Sept 17 is so far away!
Kaila
4.5/5 stars
RE-READ: March 2017

This book has been a long time favourite of mine. It's one of the books that transitioned me out of the YA genre and into the world of adult romance...and for that, it holds a dear place in my heart. Unchained is pure escapism, it's fast, full of drama, sexy and funny! I enjoy myself so much reading this book and it always leaves me smiling. You can be guaranteed that
Fanny
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it

Revisando mis libros pendientes recorde que esta era una de las pocas novelas de Jennifer L. Armentrout que no habia leido, no recuerdo exactamente porque no la lei antes, quizas porque la sinopsis no me llamaba la atencion pero es Jennifer, por lo que me dije que merecia la pena comenzar esta lectura.

Honestamente no creo que este sea su mejor trabajo ni tampoco es mi libro favorito pero partiendo de que es uno de sus primeros libros, no esta del todo mal, obviando algunos detalles que me pareci
Jessie Potts
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What's it about: Lily Marks is a demon hunter, which means she's ticked off a ton of creatures. Add to that that she just can't shake her fallen angel, and she's in a whole twisted world. She and Julian aren't supposed to be civil to one another, yet alone want each other. When a spy is discovered in her organization, Lily will start to question not only who she is, but whether Julian is there to help or destroy.

Why you should read it: J. Lynn is the pen name for Jennifer Armentrout, and she has
katnissbraid.
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
After finishing this book I was so sorry because I really like Jennifer L. Armentrout, she's funny, talented and I loved the first books of Covenant and Lux but these late works? not so much. Then I've read that this book had been written in 2008 so actually it comes before the novels that I actually loved. So I feel much better. The fact is that the story is too much chained (yes, I use my puns really well) to others urban fantasy books, I can find lots of the Richelle Mead's works too. (especi ...more
Shraddha
May 22, 2012 marked it as to-read
Okay. I want to read this. Why? Just two words.
Jennifer Armentrout. One of the best authors of the millenia.
I cannot wait for this!
Roobie
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
3 stars

I see you for who you are, even though you don't.
Beth
Unchained was nothing like I expected but I'm looking forward to learning more about the Nephilim world.

With all first in this series, Unchained required some in depth world building, character introductions and developing and all the general goodness you need when discovering a new world the author has created. Lynn capitalizes on this introduction by vividly painting a world in the reader's imagination.

Enjoyable, entertaining and setting the scene for things to come, Unchained is the spring bo
majo
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the "forbidden romance" between Julian and Lily, but I didn't care at all about the other characters. I know this book was one of the first written by Jennifer L Armentrout and to be honest, it really felt like that. But I'm on a mission to read every book ever written by this author (because I love her), so I had to read it. It was an okay-book. I enjoyed it while it lasted but I don't think it will stay with me in the future.
Britney
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 6-stars, my-favs, my-crack
Epic, Sizzling, Intense, Mysterious, Perfection

Mind. Blown.

Just when I thought J. Lynn couldn’t possibly get any better…she goes and gives us Unchained.

I was surprised to hear that she wrote this book back in 2008. This book is very different from the rest…for the better!

I could shout from the roof how much I loved this book. I am a huge fan of angel books. I love them! So when I found out that not only is this a new series by J. Lynn but one involving angels, I was thrilled! I had high hopes
Jess-i-ca ~Sometimes a Gif Witch~
This was a decent angel book.....You have Lily who is demon-hunter bad ass and has this unmistakeable attraction to Julian who is a Fallen angel.

photo tumblr_m83555Pg1L1rxq7alo1_500_zps9f2a93f1.gif

She's not supposed to be near him but they always wind up together and he has saved and healed Lily twice from the wrath(touch) of evil Baal.

photo tumblr_mail68FIRe1qi26h7o1_500_zpsea056e56.gif

They forbid Lily from seeing Julian any more because of her relationship with him and force her to be grounded to the Sanctuary.

photo 3839962_2388b4e8d2651545d8e627813f7825df_zpsa94bc641.gif

She refuses and unfortunately is suspected of being a traitor against the Sanctuar
Serena (The Book Comedian)

SIGHHHHHH, what is this uninteresting streak that Jennifer Armentrout has? Or is it me? I don't know but my feelings toward her first books and her newer ones have a drastic difference. I would consider her first books as ones I cannot live without and the newer ones to be soo....

When I read her recent paranormal books it feels like she defies the laws of logic just a tad too much, actually it's pretty ridiculous, I wouldn't be surprised if she added robotic rainbow unicorns to all of them.

The b
Dragana
If someone told me that romance novel written by Jennifer L. Armentrout could be this bad, I would have called him the liar. Her world-building and characterisation may be shaky at times, but romance - it's always sizzling hot.
But Unchained was bad. I don't know what was worse, the plot or the romance. I would have DNF-ed it, but I needed it for two challenges, so I courageously struggled to reach the end.

Some of the reasons why I didn't like Unchained:
- Heroine is (allegedly) kick-ass warrior,
Shambhawi P.
Including Unchained, I have read 15 of Jennifer Lynn Armentrout books. And I see a definite pattern here.
That is a great enough number, I believe, to make a comment about the writing style without it being a personal attack on the author - so suck it up GoodReads.

Armentrout's books lack originality.

Oh - I admit there is definite appeal in her writing style and her characters and their interactions almost always seem to crack me up. But the plot itself is never anything too out of the norm or
Alyona
Aug 15, 2012 marked it as to-read-priorities
I'm a huge fan of Jennifer and until now, no book of hers has failed me. So, I have some pretty big expectations from this one.

A ball busting chick. A swoon-worthy male lead. Some smokin' hot forbidden love. The holy trinity of fabulous YA book.

I can't wait to get my hands on this one!!
Lihini Wijesinghe
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
updated review

yay angels!
What a confusing book.
Without given any details about he relationship with Julian, it all just seemed a bit tacky, and the way she kind of just changed her mind about how she saw things with the angels after being raised with strict rules was quite unbelivable. You don't just change our mind about something you've lived by your life without any second thoughts.

Sydney Sage from Bloodlines is a great example of that. She was changed in a realistic way.

SO the story.

Ver
Yasmin Halliwell Fraser Bower
This book is perfect for lovers of the shadowhunter chronicles and Hush Hush. If you just finished reading them, then here’s the book to pick up if you need more. Action packed with demons and butt kicking. Lily, the main character, is totally Isabelle Lightwood. I mean it, she just needs the hills.
I liked this book, but I think the sexy fun times were pure lust and not love, so it wasn’t deep. It was unnecessary. I didn’t LOVE the book, but that’s just me suffering a reading slump. I was just b
Nancy The book junkie
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.75/5

Review coming soon!
VampireNovelFan
More Like Fangirl Rising

After reading Jennifer Armentrout flex her YA skills with the Lux novels, I was ever so curious to check out her adult skills with Unchained. I will be honest and say that any series set in Washington, DC like this one is will automatically make me a little biased. But I probably would have loved this book if it took place in Timbuktu (well, not really, but any urban setting would have worked). I have grown to enjoy the fallen angel subgenre almost as much as a vampire
Jacqueline's Reads
Aug 08, 2013 marked it as top-tbr
I LOVE THE COVER!!! I WANT THIS NOW!!!!

The fact that she and Julian are civil to one another is enough to have her thrown out of the Sanctuary, but she can't shake her not-so-angelic stalker or how he brings her dangerously close to ecstasy.

Her forbidden relationship with Julian provides the perfect fuel for
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»

RATING: 3.5 HEARTS

Not the greatest Jennifer L. Armentrout book I've read, but it was still an enjoyable read overall. I suspect...(for me personally anyway)...Julian is what made this book sooo worth the while. :D No surprise really, Jennifer knows how to write her male characters like Willy Wonka knows how to run his Chocolate factory! Pretty damn great if you know what I mean. LOL ;p
Esperanza Writes Too
I read 'Don't look back' from Jennifer L. Armentrout and I wanted to read something more by this author. A hot New Adult book about supernatural creatures? I did totally give it a try. It was a fun reading, it partly destroyed my conventions about Paranormal genre in YA and NA books, since it was different and good. I said a million times on Twitter that it reminded me of an uncensored version of Hush Hush.
Lily, a Nephlim, falls in love with Julian, a Fallen. But there's a problem, the Nephilim
  • Bitter Sweet Love (The Dark Elements, #0.5)
  • Ruined (The Eternal Balance, #1)
  • The Liberator (Dante Walker, #2)
  • Prophecy Girl (Angel Academy, #1)
  • Out in Blue (Return to Sanctuary, #1)
  • Awakened (Prequel, The Guardian Legacy)
  • Degrees of Wrong
  • Inbetween (Kissed by Death, #1)
  • Forbidden (The Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • Dark Wings (The Never Dark, #1)
  • Waiting for Mercy (Cambion, #2)
  • Fireblood (Fireblood, #1)
  • Lash (Broken Angel, #1)
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • Redemption (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #4)
  • Wicked Kiss (Nightwatchers, #2)
  • Blood and Feathers (Blood and Feathers, #1)
A pseudonym for Jennifer L. Armentrout.

# 1 New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Jennifer L. Armentrout Lives in West Virginia.

All the rumors you heard about her state aren’t true.

Well, mostly. When she's not hard at work writing, she spends her time, reading, working out, watching zombie movies, and pretending to write.

“What?" she asked.
"You're beautiful."
She rolled her eyes. "Flattery will get you laid."
"I sure hope so.”
23 likes
“It was like a date - a weird, twisted date that would probably end with them killing something” 10 likes