Start by marking “The 20th Century (Horrible Histories)” as Want to Read:
The 20th Century (Horrible Histories)

The 20th Century (Horrible Histories Special)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  343 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
From Charlie Chaplin to Margaret Thatcher, this history book follows the events of the 20th century from the last days of Queen Victoria to the 1990s. Everything is covered from who shocked the world by showing her knickers, to why a posh London restaurant served stewed cat.
Published October 18th 1996 by Scholastic UK

To ask other readers questions about The 20th Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 20th Century

nayoung
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good!

I chose 4 stars because it was really nice but I just hope next time, add even MORE creepy facts...
Yuu Suwapee
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Easy reading for whom who wanna touch the surface of history in 20th century of UK. Good to be the first step to start studying history.
Anirudh Parthasarathy
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Brits who are interested in learning about their recent history
Shelves: books-owned
The 20th Century is a part of the Horrible Histories series written by Terry Deary, with this book being a special edition. It contains a summary of the entire 20th Century, covering one decade in each chapter.

This book contained elements of a typical Horrible Histories book, with a timeline, interesting illustrations, diary entries and also some excellent handpicked events – making history rather interesting. My expectation on Horrible Histories novels have always been high, as I’ve learnt mor
Anna Kļaviņa
I like the Horrible Histories series, I discovered these books when I was little and I still enjoy reading these series. There is only one thing that always had been bothering me is the silly jokes (in text and drawing), maybe I am too serious, who knows?

There were two inaccuracies in this book, what I noticed. First it says that Chernobyl is in Russia when actually it is in Ukraine. And the book tells that bra was invented in 1913 what is not accurate.
Miro
Nov 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: imago-shelf
Considering that the book is primarily written for (pre-)teens, it is pretty good and witty at times (even though a lot of the wit's been lost in translation), rather basic but quirky, but also out-dated. Aside from that, the illustrations are good, they serve the point. All in all, a book which will satisfy young know-it-alls.
Tanish
Apr 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers and kiddies
Shelves: kids, reviewed
these books are a fantastic way to get kids engaged in history- they tend to be from a British pov (if Britain had anything to do with the subject anyway), but they provide fantastic descriptions of what life was like and are a great jumping off point. They're great for any age!
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Horrible Histories is a series of illustrated books published in the UK by Scholastic. They are designed to get children interested in history by concentrating on the trivial, unusual, gory, or unpleasant. They are exceptionally well loved by my history loving children
Nayantara
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
There is really no better way to get kids interested in history than by giving them a Terry Deary Horrible Histories! I loved these books as a kid and I love to collect them now. Deary's take on history is hilarious and interesting. It may not all be true but you definitely learn something!
Valentina Markasović
2015 reading challenge - a nonfiction book

Pretty good, with lots of interesting information and humor. I only wish it was called The 20th Century in Britain, with an occasional reference to other countries. That would've been more accurate.
Seth Saephan
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was about that the women are saying that they should be able to vote. What I feel about this book is that it is impressive because it talks about George Washington and other people that are presidents. I would recommend this book to Michelle Obama because she talks about rights.
Alannah Clarke
A great way to document the changes in the 20th century. It mainly focuses on the UK but in a way makes it simple for children to enjoy.
Aidan Michael
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really funny.
Indah Threez Lestari
520 - 2016
Lexy
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nathan-s
So excellent- funny and informative
Lisa
yay
Siv Ri
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks!!!!!!!!! ;) :)

Write lots of more books man I really enjoyed this book! Are you going to make one about the Japanese next?
Candycloud
Oct 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-borrowed
I love the tv series, so I read this book. It was okay.
Rebecca
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Probably great for kids, but to me it tried to cover far to much in to shorter space. The individual books dealing with shorter spans of history are a bit better.
Paddy Kilcar
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the book it was very interesting thats why i gave it a 5.
Jana
Nov 12, 2012
Jenna Allen
Nov 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Deadly Diseases (Horrible Science)
  • Henry the VIII and His Chopping Block
  • Violent Volcanoes (Horrible Geography)
  • Cleopatra and Her Asp
  • When Plague Strikes: The Black Death, Smallpox, AIDS
  • Madara the Midnight Warrior (Beast Quest, #40)
  • Peril at the Grand Prix: Italy (Secret Agent Jack Stalwart, #8)
  • Murderous Maths (Murderous Maths, #1)
  • The Black Paw (Spy Mice, #1)
  • Tomb of Doom
A former actor, theatre-director and drama teacher, Deary says he began writing when he was 29. Most famously, he is one of the authors of the Horrible Histories series of books popular among children for their disgusting details, gory information and humorous pictures and among adults for getting children interested in history. Books in the series have been widely translated into other languages ...more
More about Terry Deary...

Horrible Histories Special (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Awesome Ancient Quiz Book
  • Bloody Scotland (Horrible Histories Special)
  • Cruel Kings and Mean Queens (Horrible Histories)
  • Dark Knights and Dingy Castles (Horrible Histories Special)
  • England
  • The USA (Horrible Histories Special)
  • Rowdy Revolutions (Horrible Histories Special)
  • France
  • Horrible Christmas (Horrible Histories)
  • Ireland (Horrible Histories Special)