Start by marking “Break and Enter (Red Cell #1)” as Want to Read:
Break and Enter (Red Cell #1)

Break and Enter

(Red Cell #1)

Man on machine on man.
Red Cell, Book 1

Ex-Green Beret Victor “Cyke” Kellermann is on the run for a crime he didn’t—well, okay, did commit, but he didn’t realize it at the time. He’s a good guy, a “white hat” hacker for hire. He’s also more teched out than the Bionic Man, though his ailing ’ware creates as many problems as it solves.

His latest series of break-ins are proving
ebook, 1st Edition, 109 pages
Published December 1st 2011 by Samhain Publishing

Start your review of Break and Enter (Red Cell #1)
Julio Genao
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Nicely done.

Sexy as hell, and briskly paced. A fun read that gave me four and a half boners.

More, please.

No, seriously—more.

*makes grabby-handed gesture*
ttg
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars – A well-written sci-fi/cyberpunk novella that is very tautly told, but for me, never fully engaged me with the characters or the conflict.

What I liked: I appreciate that Haimowitz and Voinov throw you in the pool with no warning. It’s a style of storytelling that I like since it usually means over-exposition is kept at a minimum, and the authors are doing the favor of handing the reins to the readers to figure things out and keep up with the narrative.

You’re very much thrown into the
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ by: Wendy
Let me first say I’m not a fangurl of reading scfy or cyberpunk. Why is it punk anyway? There are no The Clash or Ramones references. No one got Punk’d. What’s going on here?

I should probably also disclose that these two authors could re-write the phone book & I’d be like, “that was fascinating! Did you see what they did with the M section? All that alliteration was impressive!” So read this review with a grain of salt.

I normally talk a little about the plot then again, I’ve still no clue as t
M'rella
I started the book and... *blink blink*... I finished the book. Where did the time go, I have no idea! It gripped me like a tidal wave and didn't let go until the very last page. Actually it kept me moving even beyond - to the "About Authors" section and excerpts, where I finally slowed down - LOL
I will have to read it again sometime, at a slower pace, to thoroughly enjoy all the details =)
5 stars
Emma Sea
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Taut tech-thriller about manly men who like to fuck and be fucked by other manly men. Favourite line ever: “He . . . would crawl up the fucking walls waiting on this tongue-finger-fingers routine”. I so hope Bear and Cyke will be back for another (longer?) book.
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this book, especially the world building. It was very interesting to discover what was behind Cyke's attempts at breaking Sentinel Tech's security and to literally learn how he worked. The realization of his work comes to the reader almost at the same time as Bear learns about it. I was glas I didn't read the blurb because it tells a bit too much, in my opinion. The story catches the reader in a whirlwind of events and the transition between a chapter and the next was
Christina
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, sci-fi
I really enjoyed the tech aspects of the book. It was fun without being overbearing. Although I liked the world, I wanted more character development, especially with Bear. I liked both characters and I knew they were attracted to each other and came to care for one another but I didn't feel their connection. I thought the relationship was a bit rushed. I could see Bear's fascination with Cyke and Cyke's need for comfort but their emotions towards the end were not believable. I especially had a p ...more
Kat
DNF. Enjoyable tech talk about robot arms, repair bots and data theft, that could not make up for the fact that the characters' personalities were flat as a pancake and there was zero chemistry between them.
Lady*M
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
4 - 4.5 stars

Not really a review, just a few quick impressions.

I was a bit apprehensive about reading this book. First, the themes Haimowitz is usually writing about are uncomfortable for me to say the least. On the other hand, I love Voinov's writing and his books. Second, I am a huge sci-fi fan, but there are very few books that I find entirely satisfying, especially within M/M genre. In the end, I was very happy with it.

For such a short book and the first in the series, Break and Enter was gr
Heller
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great sci-fi/futuristic read. I really enjoyed the cybernetic tech here. Very realistic and gritty. This was a tight storyline that had me on the edge of my seat more than a few times. The relationship build here worked for me a lot as well. Great chemistry between Cyke and Bear and there was a really nice natural feel to it that didn't seem forced or rushed. I'll definitely be looking for more in this series.
S E. Jakes
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm currently doing a reread based on a twitter chat w/ Rachel and Catherine and Tristina (thanks to Catherine's ponies :)...God, it's SO good, you guys. If you haven't read, you must. Bear and Cyke are just...hot. And it's so well written. Lots of information that doesn't ever feel like...information. It's a book to learn from in that sense for authors and for readers..it'll leave you wanting MOAR!

*back to my reread*
Syfy
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-syfy, voinov
This reads at breakneck speed, but does not skimp on the details. Not in the very least! So exciting my heart was literally pounding even as I laughed at the humorous thoughts and antics of the MC's. Cyke is such a badass tough guy of course he gave me plenty to chuckle at!
With all the high tech talk, at one point I was like "I'm in Johnny Mnemonic's head!" bitchin' enough, but this is even better!
The romance fit the story, one of those seamless blends where it just made sense. Loved every wo
SueC
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it

3.5 stars.

How lucky am I? Very. This was a great introduction to Sci-Fi and it's left me wanting more.

I loved Cyke's biting sarcastic tone and his chemistry with Bear was delicious. The plot was interesting while the technotalk wasn't too overwhelming for a newbie like me.

My only gripe is that it was too short, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Well worth a read.
Elizabetta
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reading ‘Break and Enter’ took me back to musing about (and drooling over) elite athletes competing in the recent Olympics games. The constant training and pushing physical limits often through pain and injury. And the whole drugging issue that drifts in and out of the spectacle. Drugs used to enhance performance... This illicit practice has been around forever and unfortunately it’s not going anywhere fast.

Forget drugs, what about bionic enhancement? What if we could use bionic body parts for
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Holy cow! Where the hell is the next book in this series? RACHEL!!!!!!! She does this to me on purpose. That is the only reasonable explanation I can come up with. I'm now going to boycott. Unless she has all her books written in a series, I'm not starting them. Hrrmpph. (I don't know if I can wait that long though.)

Break and Enter is an awesome cyberpunk book. This is definitely one I could enjoy. Cyke and Bear are both pretty cool characters. We don't get to learn too much about Bear the para
SueM
A skilled merging of two talented authors underlies this novella. Having read both authors individually, I enjoyed this collaboration.

Cyke - a 'white hat' (no doubt a nod to the old cowboy movies) and ex-green beret - is found lying unconscious near a bus stop. Bear - a paramedic called to the scene - is intrigued by what he finds. As the story unfolds, Bear and Cyke find themselves together and together they must risk everything.

I liked Cyke, his thoughts often bluntly sarcastic with an under
Adara
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one, though some of the description of Cyke digging something from his arm was a bit disturbing. (Guessing that was you, Rachel? You do like to run the boys through the wringer.)

I adored the scene where Bear was looking through code, 'pinging' this snippet of code, and Cyke's reaction to it. (Though terminology used took me out of the scene a tiny bit.) And of course the scene that followed was quite entertaining.

The plot was also entertaining and a quick read. 4 stars.
Dreamer
Excellent novella, looking forward to the next installment. A great combination of sf, m/m and cyber from two masters: Rachel Haimowitz and Aleksandr Voinov.
'Cyke woke early in the evening, Bear still asleep beside him, their limbs pressed tight and tangled. He was sore, and he kind of had to piss... but not even wild horses could have dragged him from this bed right now.'
Shelby
While I enjoyed the ideas behind this world I did feel like the story was a little rushed. The characters were interesting and the I enjoyed the premise, I think I just wish it had been a little longer with more development time allowed. I would have liked to have known more about the history of both our characters.

Bear is a paramedic with a bit of a tech fetish nature. He loves fiddling with all the ‘ware that exists now. When he is called out on a run for an unconscious drunk he’s surprised by
Casey Cox
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.5 - 5 stars
This was a great read for those that like a plot driven short. A difficult thing to achieve if you ask me with so little space for world building but this one pulls it off nicely with no world building at all.

The tech is full on and very believable for near future timelines. It weaves the relationship of the two MC's, one being heavy on the tech, the other being a tech-geek. Both characteres were easy to relate to and bond with and I was invested in the outcome.

Light on sex but wh
Julesmarie
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-favorites, m-m, sci-fi
I LOVED this, and I'm still trying to figure out exactly why. The characters weren't nearly as well fleshed-out as I usually like: I still feel like I know next to nothing about them. But I still adore them both! And they couldn't have been more perfect together if they'd been made for each other (although I suppose it can be argued that in a way Cyke was indeed "made" for Bear).

The sci-fi part was excellently done, and the story was brilliant. It reminded me in a way of a futuristic version of
Kaje Harper
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, scifi
A fast-paced, imaginative and heated story of Cyke, an ex-military man with cybernetic additions, whose job as a white-hat hacker goes bad when he turns out to be being used rather than legitimately employed. When he's found passed out and injured - twice - a connection is formed between his rescuer, Bear, a paramedic with a tech-fascination, and the stubborn elusive rescuee. Bear is fascinated and protective from the start. (Almost too fast - my biggest obstacle to becoming immersed in this sto ...more
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
It was just as good as I thought it would be. Some of the tech speak went over my head - but that's o.k. because it framed a world that then became more real to me. Loved that the reveal's happen throughout - and though there is foreshadowing it is not always clear which keeps the reader puzzled and curious and READING!

Though it is not a long book it is complete - though I could have wished for more background. It does drop you right into the action. I felt a little more distanced from Bear so
Brenda Cothern
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, erotica
Who knew sci-fi, cyborgs, and medigeeks could be so hot? Well, certainly not me! If this is the norm for sci-fi m/m romance, then I might just have to read more. Likely, it is just that I am a fan of Aleks & Rachel... but who knows? ...more
JR
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book caught me off guard. Wasn't sure I would like it. Then I read it. I was completely engrossed and loved every single word. I want more of these two! Bear and Cyke have a very nice lover story. Good science fiction story, with some Ghost in the Shell overtones involving cyber implants.
JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust
I was hoping Cyke would overheat my circuit board unfortunately that wasn't the case... I did enjoy the main characters. This particular genre is just not my thing, cuppa ,preference.... whatever people call it .. Regardless, the cover is still one of my favs.
LenaLena
Dec 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, science-fiction
Awesome on the tech-geekery front, not as awesome on the relationship front.
Sandra
2.5 stars This wasn't bad. There was a lot of techno-speak initially that I was kind of lost in, although it's not super relevant. I really like the way Bear and Cyke meet and continue to meet, it was cute. And I liked them together, and knew they cared about each other... but I just didn't feel it. I think it's because after their first time together, the next few times were skipped over (only mentioned) and then we're just supposed to assume they have a connection now. But I have to see the co ...more
Lilia Ford
Dark but not too dark, sorta dystopian-lite, with likable leads. The "tech" stuff about our Steve-Austinish bionic hero, Cyke, was especially well-written and inventive--so much that I'd recommend it as a model for anyone contemplating writing about high tech/bionic/enhanced soldier/cyborg yada yada. While the "togetherness" scenes were well-done, uncliched and never sappy, the relationship between Cyke and Bear never really gelled for me. It may be because we just don't see that much of Bear, s ...more
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
OY VEY!

The category for bingo was "Gay Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopic". I knew that I was gonna have trouble with this category as soon as I seen the bingo cards. I picked this book since I was familiar with the authors. I have loved just about everything else I've read by these two, so my rating/review has absolutely nothing to do with the book per se and everything to do with the fact that I just don't mesh with sci-fi/cyberpunk. Cyke seemed like a pretty kick-ass guy tho, I will say. If this had b
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • The Ultra Cage
  • Break Her
  • Twisted Marriage (Filthy Vows, #2)
  • The Tied Man (The Tied Man, #1)
  • Wanderlust
  • Filthy Vows (Filthy Vows, #1)
  • Resistance (Power Play, #1)
  • Gravitational Attraction
  • Single Malt (Agents Irish and Whiskey, #1)
  • Incursion
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
M/M erotic romance author, freelance writer and editor, sadist with a pesky conscience, shamelessly silly, proudly pervish. I'm a twitter addict (@rachelhaimowitz), and I blog every M/W/F at Fantasy Unbound. To learn all about my current and upcoming projects, please stop by my website. I love to hear from folks, so feel free to drop me a line anytime at metarachel (at) gmail (dot) com. ...more

News & Interviews