Start by marking “Conan The Destroyer” as Want to Read:
Conan The Destroyer

Conan The Destroyer (Robert Jordan's Conan Novels #6)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  1,137 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In the fabled city of Shadizar, sultry Princess Tamaris hires Conan to recover the magical gem known as the Heart of Ahriman. Accompanied by the beautiful maiden Jehnna, Conan must vanquish scheming, murderous Bombatta, the princess' henchman, and face the sinister Guardians of the Horn, only to confrotnt the foul and ancient, many-fanged demon-god Dagoth. With Jehna's lif ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Tor Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Conan The Destroyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan The Destroyer

Joe
May 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, pulp
This is not the edition I have, which is the first printing from 1984, with a photo on the cover featuring Ah-nold in his fur Fruit of the Looms from that dreadful second Conan movie of the same name. Of the same name because this is the book version of the movie, and frankly more entertaining. My edition does not seem to be listed on goodreads.

I'll admit a certain weakness for trashy swords & sorcery may have biased my rating a star or so above what it really deserves. Being something of a
Jack
Dec 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An average yet enjoyable Conan pastiche. Nothing too fantastic or terrible about it. Flashes of Howard-eque descriptions, but also some passages where Jordan was trying a bit too hard and it seemed almost like parody. The humorous sidekick Malak was a good addition to the story.

The Tor paperback version I read has classic Ken Kelly cover art.
George
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
ΟΚ, το συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο δεν το έγραψε ο Ρόμπερτ Χάουαρντ, όπως λανθασμένα αναφέρεται στην ελληνική έκδοση, αλλά ο Ρόμπερτ Τζόρνταν, όμως μιας και πρόκειται για ιστορία του Κόναν γράφω το σχόλιο μου για το βιβλίο εδώ. Δύσκολα μπορεί να φτάσει κανείς την ποιότητα των αυθεντικών ιστοριών του Κόναν, γραμμένες από τον άρχοντα του είδους Ρόμπερτ Χάουαρντ, όμως πιστεύω ο Τζόρνταν έκανε πολύ καλή δουλειά.

Η συγκεκριμένη ιστορία έχει όλα τα καλούδια που θα ιντριγκάρουν τους φαν του Κιμμέριου: Άφθονη δ
Valerie
Jul 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: conan
Charles
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Conan pastiche. A novelization of the second Conan movie.
Jason Turri
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just like the movie. I saw this book randomly at a bookstore at the San Jose airport. Being one of my favorite movies ever I had to buy it right then and there.

It was my first story by Robert Jordan. His writing style was smooth, creating a plot that followed the movie almost exactly. It was a smooth transition from film to novel, and it had me wondering which came first.

Overall I give it 4 stars. The movie plot itself doesn’t have depth as the first Conan film, and the characters are also run-
Сибин Майналовски
За разлика от българските недорасляци, промотирани от бездария, на Джордан сме далеч по-склонни да простим клишенцата в поредното разкошно и епично фентъзи за Конан. Който си го може, го може! (а който не може, го издават партийните перачници на средства, но това е друга тема...)
José Francisco Dávila
I had high expectations with these books after I read that Robert Jordan is the best Conan writer alive. Well, maybe this is true. I still have to check other books and stories from him, and although I enjoy this book there are some things Conan-related that I didn't like that much.

There are some memorable moments that Jordan writes with passion. The first encounter between Conan and Taramis is great, very Howard-esque. But then he throw some secondary characters that felt that they were taken i
Alexis
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

The abundance of cliches wouldn't vex me if they had been written by their inventor in the '30s. But this is 50 years later and even if it's a novelization of the film, I think Robert Jordan could have added a little originality. No - Conan is an irresistible sex machine and an undeafeatable warrior, with a bunch of hardly useful guys around so he won't spend the entire book silent. Overly predictable, non-existent character development, hacking and slashing. In short, exactly what you'd expect.
Scott
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the first Conan I've read, apart from a few comics over the years. Also the first Robert Jordan. Here Conan is bribed into protecting an innocent maiden as she guides them to retrieve a magical artifact. Of course the princess who sent them has a secret agenda. Will Conan's fondest wish be granted? Probably not, but at least he will get some along the way. It is a pretty typical fantasy plot but I haven't read this kind of story since I was much younger so I found it nostalgic in a way. ...more
Jeffery
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice light reading. I don't believe the book came first, but they got a great Conan author to write a story that takes place in the authentic Conan/REH universe. I read this a long time ago, but as I discovered Jordan's works and Howard's original work, I'm surprised how well they made the adaptation fit in with the larger Conan literature. It's honestly better than the movie.
Victor Orozco
Okay. It was kind of weak. Clearly this writer was more comfortable writing his own adventure of Conan and not the one that was on screen. As far as movie adaptations go this one was really weak. No narration from the wizard or even a thorough run of the events from the last movie. Some of the writing was average at best. Just as weak as the movie. D+
Felipe Guerrero
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gustó, aunque a ratos Conan se escuchaba un poco extraño, no era tan osco como el conan de Robert E. Howard pero aún así me gustó. Por cierto, es la misma historia de la pelicula que lleva el mismo nombre.

El final me gustó mucho también, muy emotivo.
Jefferson
This was about as good as a novelization of a mediocre movie has any right to be. Robert Jordan isn't shy about changing details in order to make the story his own and bring it in line with his other Conan novels, but this is (understandably) his weakest entry in the series.
Jkweld
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jordan wrote Conan like no other. One of my favorite series growing up, and has some kick-ass one-liners. The action sequences are smooth without getting bogged down in unnecessary detail, yet conveying the intensity.

Not a kid's book.
Jeff
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this my sophomore year in high school. For some reason, the fact that I read the book has stuck with me. Don't judge!!!
Colin
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: conan
Better than the movie (which isn't saying much).
Chris Gorsend
I'm one of the few who loves the movie - for its flaws, not despite them. However, likely working off that muddled screenplay, Jordan isn't able to improve much upon it.
Michael D Keller
Much, much better than the movie.
Marcus
May 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Craig
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good adventure novel, alot of good action scenes, characters were not bad, it was fun to see Jordan's earlier writing style.
Matthew
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This Conan book is superb. By far my favorite that I have read. You get the depth of Conan and the other characters. It goes from one epic moment to the next of non stop Conan action.
Josef Miyasato
This is the only Conan I've ever read. And I must say that I enjoyed it thoroughly, like a good burger.
Rob Wilensky
One of my favorite writers, and one of my favorite characters. It is a fairly quick and action-filled read. Well worth it for Conan fans. Yes - it is better than the movie.
James Farnsworth
i read this in High School haha it was alright but nothing special
Antonio
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT NOVELIZATION OF THE SECOND MOVIE WITH A FEW DIFFERENCES.
Ahmed Al-Sheikh
John
Feb 15, 2013
  • Conan the Defiant
  • Conan The Hero
  • Conan and the Spider God (Book 18)
  • Conan: Sword of Skelos
  • Conan The Marauder
  • Conan: Road of Kings
  • Conan the Usurper (Conan, #8)
  • Conan the Rebel
  • Conan the Buccaneer (Conan, #6)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...

Robert Jordan's Conan Novels (7 books)
  • Conan the Invincible (Conan, #1)
  • Conan the Defender (Conan, #2)
  • Conan the Unconquered (Conan, #3)
  • Conan the Triumphant (Conan, #4)
  • Conan the Magnificent (Conan, #5)
  • Conan the Victorious (Conan, #7)