Start by marking “Dancing on the Inside” as Want to Read:
Dancing on the Inside

Read Excerpt

Dancing on the Inside

Ever since her grandparents gave her a DVD of "Swan Lake," twelve-year old Jenny Spark has wanted to be a dancer. But on her first day of ballet class, she suffers a panic attack and makes a horrifying discovery. She's terrified of dancing in front of the other kids, and as for actually performing for an audience? Forget it. Yet Jenny refuses to give up her dream. With det ...more
Published July 6th 2011 by iUniverse (first published July 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing on the Inside, please sign up.
Glen Strathy No, it has a surprising and quite uplifting ending.

Start your review of Dancing on the Inside
Literary  Chanteuse
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
A lovely story of Jenny, a young girl who has a desire to learn ballet but struggles with her fear of being in the spotlight. She learns to embrace her inner talent and builds confidence while making new friendships along the way. She easily captures your heart. A must read for inspiring ballerinas!
Kelsey
This is a great book about finding--and fighting to do--something you love, despite the obstacles. Jenny's crippling shyness would make a career like ballet seem out of the question, but she doesn't let it stop her, practicing in secret instead and, for the first time, acting against her parents' wishes. Her unlikely friendship with the bubbly, outgoing Ara works beautifully. I love how "friendship" in this book goes beyond two people with shared interests enjoying each other's company. Ara and ...more
Bluerose's  Heart
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
"Social phobia: Excessive fear of embarrassment in social situations that is extremely intrusive and can have debilitating effects on personal and professional relationships.

The symptoms and signs of social phobia include blushing, sweating, trembling, rapid heartbeat, muscle tension, nausea or other stomach discomfort, lightheadedness, and other symptoms of anxiety".

I've suffered with social phobia my entire life, so when I discovered Dancing on the Inside was about a young girl with social p
Tillie
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book. It was a very quick read and honestly I couldn't put it down. I relate a lot to Jenny. I was the shy one in junior high/high school. The one who wanted to be great at things, but was afraid to fail. The one who didn't realize the talent I had. I think this is a must read for any teen/pre-teen who is shy and has a dream. The ending of the story was so sweet and I think that ballet really needs to be produced :)
Heavensent1
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dancing On The Inside is a Children's Book for ages 9 - 12.

Twelve year old Jenny Spark has wanted to be a ballerina since her grandparents gave her a DVD of "Swan Lake". However, Jenny is very shy and suffers from anxiety attacks whenever she is in a crowd.

Hiding under the piano on her first day of ballet lessons, she watches the rest of the kids practice. Rose comes up with a plan so that she doesn't have to participate but can watch and secretly teach herself the moves at home.

When her parents
Diane
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-books
I read this book all in one sitting. This is aimed at young to mid-teens so it was an easy read for me. The heroine of the story is Jenny, a very shy 12 year old who really wants to dance ballet but discovers that she's too shy, too insecure and has a panic attack at the idea of trying to learn to dance with anyone else watching. She loves ballet so much, however, that she connives a way to be allowed to observe the classes. She takes notes and practices alone at home in secret.

Ara is quite the
Wendy Hines
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Dancing on the Inside is a great young adult read. Moving to a new town, Jenny doesn't know anyone. After watching Swan Lake on DVD over and over, Jenny convinces her parents to sign her up for ballet classes. But when Jenny arrives, she's shy and hides under the piano watching the other girls. She goes home and practices what she's watched privately.

Then Jenny strikes up a friendship with Ara, a girl loves to dance but always takes backseat to her sister. Jenny thinks Ara dances beautifully and
Paula  Phillips
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've always loved Dancing movies and have been a huge fan of films like Centre Stage and Step Up , in a way this book reminded me of Centre Stage 2: Turn It Up as the main character Jenny ever since watching the DVD of Swan Lake has dreamed of becoming a famous dancer , though unfortunately for Jenny she suffers from stage fright- an awful thing when all you want to do in the world is perform in front of thousands of people. Though Jenny faces all these obstacles , she does not let that stop her ...more
Jane(Janelba)
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow what an amazing book ! I love anything to do with Ballet but this book went beyond that. I loved Jenny and could really relate to her but her friend Ara was the amazing one in this book too who supported her friend and helped her to overcome obstacles. Can't give to much info here or it will spoil it for others. All I can say is this is a book that most people should read !
Joan
Oct 14, 2011 added it
Well, going into this I didn't realize that it was probably written for a junior high age girl. With that said, it was a good little read. I recommend it to anyone who wants to inspire their daughter.
Definitely a very strong story, Jenny's the type of girl I can (could) relate to, even if I was never quite as painfully shy. This book is unputdownable, whether you like and are interested in Ballet/Dancing or not.
NormaCenva
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was a very nice storytelling for a quiet evening time. I did enjoy the details, and characters were more or less believable. Ballet world was always mesmerizing for me, so I loved the possibility to emerge myself into this interesting world again.
Ayisha
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dancing
I really want to read this book ive heard it's awesome
Tracee Loran
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very cute & inspiring book. It's a good read for young girls or anyone who need a boost of confidence and the push to do something they've always wanted to do. ...more
Amanda Macduffee
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great read for Tweens and adults alike. Strong message. Impressive flow.
Kelsey taylor
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Do u like dancing? if u do this book is perfect....if u dont well read it anyway
Glen Strathy
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Girls ages 9-12.
I wrote this book, so of course I like it. But I would love to know what you think.
Sophie
Sep 07, 2017
Cesar Arteaga
May 07, 2018
Aurelia
rated it did not like it
Dec 07, 2011
Jan 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Tour de Force
  • The Binding
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • Peril en Pointe (Swan House Ballet School Mystery #1)
  • The Deathless Girls
  • The Butcher's Hook
  • The Quotient of Murder (Sophie Knowles #4)
  • Strange Heart Beating
  • Just A Girl
  • Usborne Illustrated Ballet Stories
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
  • Playing with Fire
  • I, Claudia: A Novel of the Ancient World
  • Behold the Bones (Beware the Wild, #2)
  • Mallory Pike, #1 Fan (The Baby-Sitters Club, #80)
  • Karen's Magic Garden (Baby-Sitters Little Sister, #76)
  • The Maker of Swans
  • A Lasting Impression (Belmont Mansion, #1)
Glen C. Strathy started writing stories when he was 11 years old and too shy to have a life. He eventually found a life when he started acting in community theatre and met other writers, actors, dancers, and artists. He discovered that the best thing about performing arts (and other arts too) is that they give people more freedom to be who they want to be. After spending time as an actor, teacher, ...more