Start by marking “The Juniper Tree and Other Tales from Grimm” as Want to Read:
The Juniper Tree and Other Tales from Grimm

The Juniper Tree and Other Tales from Grimm

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  450 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Back in Print!

Originally published as a two-volume set forty years ago, The Juniper Tree is distinguished first by the selection of stories. Lore Segal and Maurice Sendak jointly culled 27 from the 210 in the complete collection, and their contents page presents a fascinating critical statement. The translations are another distinguishing quality of the Segal/Sendak editio
Published October 15th 2003 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Juniper Tree and Other Tales from Grimm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Juniper Tree and Other Tales from Grimm

Cheryl
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For some reason this collection is divided into two separate books. My library sent me volume one, which does not include the title story. I'll look for it online, and I won't care if it's been adapted. This collection prides itself on authenticity to the Grimm originals, but I don't think that's a good thing except for scholars... the nature of the folktale is to be adapted to fit the teller's contemporary audience (within reason). I did not actually enjoy very many of these stories, nor even t ...more
Anne Sanow
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What German parents (including my 2nd-generation parents) give the kiddies to read for fun. This is for children who display an early distaste for fluff, and looooove seeing the wicked get punished. Some weird moral twists, particularly in some of the lesser-known tales such as "Many-Fur," wherein: a princess who looks like her beautiful dead mother runs away and disguises herself in dead animal skins when her father, the king, decides he wants to marry her (?!?!!), then returns incognita as a k ...more
Eddie Watkins
May 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
There are few better combinations than a well-translated and complete Grimm's tale and an illustration by Maurice Sendak. Each Sendak illustration in this collection (there's about one illustration per tale) is a tale in itself, dense with detail but balanced, simultaneously innocent and menacing, and saturated with narrative suggestion.

This is a reissue of a classic collection. The book is well designed too, short and sturdy with clear text and the illustrations look almost like etchings.
Lars Guthrie
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wow. And I mean, wow. I had to drop all the things I thought about these stories, some of which ("Hansel and Gretel," "Snow White," Rapunzel") I thought were etched into memory. Stark. Eerie. Bloody. Matter-of-fact and bizarre at the same time, a paradox emphasized and reinforced in Sendak's splendid illustrations. Here's what it made me think about successful narrative: A good story is about events that we can never really understand served up in a structure that we do.
Douglas Dalrymple
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
A choice selection of Grimm tales, well translated – with all the weird violence intact. Sendak’s illustrations are fascinating. I picked this up for two bucks at a local used bookshop and consider it one of my best finds of the year.
Susanna Grant
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Totally delicious serving up of the dark, strange, and violent tales of the brothers Grimm. Devoured this one as a kid and loved every minute
Catherine
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People I don't like.
Published 1973.

So, there is a reason why the modern world needs Disney versions of classic tales - the originals are down right psycho!

In this collection of Grimm translated by Segal and Jarrell, there are a few well known tales (Hansel and Gretel, Rapunzel, and Snow White) and many obscure ones. Basically, there is much more cutting people up into pieces (Fitcher's Feathered Bird, The Juniper Tree, etc.)than THIS reviewer can stand!

The other major issue I have is that many of the tales end ab
Ms. Kelly
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jaimie
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it
As much as I enjoy the Grimms' fairytales and Maurice Sendak's illustrations, this book fell a little flat for me. Likely this was because each story only had one illustration from Sendak, so the balance between potential illustrations and text felt quite off. Sendak's work is most fruitful when he's illustrating a whole story, and even though there is a certain value in condensing a story down into one powerful image it really doesn't give Sendak his usual freedom to develop the intimate detail ...more
Claudia Osmond
Feb 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Seriously, there's nothing like reading Grimm's tales. Especially when they've been directly translated from German rather than being retold. They certainly have the power to put you in a whole different head space. Enjoyed this book immensely.
Gary
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The most beautiful illustrations! I had the pleasure some years ago, when out of sheer luck I saw an exhibit of Sendak's pen and ink illustrations for this book at the Goethe House, across from the Metropolitan Museum, NYC. Exquisite, delicate, deep and hilarious.
Lesley
Oct 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of these classic fairytales are just plain awful and difficult to swallow. Others are enchanting. The pictures drawn by Sendak give a different image to the stories. All the women are very chunky!
Liza James
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite things to pull off my bookshelf. It's part of a set of two... illustrated and translated by Maurice Sendak.
WELL worth picking up. Includes a lot of rarely found stories.
Mark
I do not know how many versions of the Grimm Brothers tales one may *truly need* but I had to add yet another when I found this Maurice Sendak illustrated version for $5 at The Book Bin in Corvallis, OR yesterday. I tried to resist but ... :D
Paul
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very funny tale from Germany (yes it's true...)

A moral tale about sudden decapitation, a wise young bird that knows all, and millstones falling onto evil people.

In fact it was "written" by Phillip Otto Runge before the Grimms.
Teniesha Kessler
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous collection of Grimm tales, both well known and less commonly known, accompanied by lovely illustrations by Maurice Sendak. Perfect for fairytale aficionados.
Alexa Mergen
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved this so much I've hung onto my two-boxed set from 30 years ago!
Tim
Jul 05, 2016 added it
Summer reading at Waring School for grades 6-12. Lots of great discussions and performances will ensue!
Queen of Narnia
Dec 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
This was a disturbing book and made no sense at all. How did the boy come back to life?
Patty
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come
Elizabeth
Jan 01, 2009 marked it as to-read
I read this too may times to count before i was even 10 years old. But now I can't remember the stories, so I will definitely read it again.
Esme_weatherwax
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Some of the tales I knew others I did not. A few were very bleak. The illustrations were well done. I will be looking out for Vol I for this was Vol II.
Karen Miller
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The late great Maurice Sendak as illustrator with the never matched Grimm Brothers.
Mie
Shelves: art
Gorgeous illustrations. Masterful.
Maggie Salisbury
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This boxed set is one of my most prized possessions. I love the Sendak illustrations and old Grimm fairy tales.
  • The Bat-Poet
  • The Complete Works of François Rabelais
  • The Slightly Irregular Fire Engine
  • Myths of Greece and Rome
  • The Griffin and the Minor Canon
Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm, German philologist, jurist and mythologist, was born at Hanau, in Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel). He is best known as the discoverer of Grimm's Law, the author of the monumental German Dictionary, his Deutsche Mythologie and more popularly, with his brother Wilhelm, as one of the Brothers Grimm, as the editor of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

(From Wikipedia.)

More about Jacob Grimm...
“My mother, she killed me,
My father, he ate me,
My sister Marlene,
Gathered all my bones,
Tied them in a silken scarf,
Laid them beneath the juniper tree,
Tweet, tweet, what a beautiful bird am I.”
42 likes