Start by marking “Crucible of Gold (Temeraire, #7)” as Want to Read:
Crucible of Gold (Temeraire, #7)

Crucible of Gold

(Temeraire #7)

Naomi Novik’s beloved series returns, with Captain Will Laurence and his fighting dragon Temeraire once again taking to the air against the broadsides of Napoleon’s forces and the friendly—and sometimes not-so-friendly—fire of British soldiers and politicians who continue to suspect them of divided loyalties, if not outright treason.

For Laurence and Temeraire, put out
Hardcover, Del Rey, 325 pages
Published March 6th 2012 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Crucible of Gold, please sign up.
Caroline I agree with Cassandra that your question is wildly unclear. Also I hate it since I saw it before starting the book and you had me freaked that he or…moreI agree with Cassandra that your question is wildly unclear. Also I hate it since I saw it before starting the book and you had me freaked that he or Iskierka were going to die or be traitors or something equally horrible.

However, after reading the book, it seems obvious that your distaste is for Granby being gay. Sorry to break it to you - gay people have always existed and we're going to continue to do so(less)

Jacob
Feb 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Temeraire is back! I was starting to worry about that. It was kind of a shame, the way the series ended in the fifth book. I didn't think it would continue.

I SAID, it was a shame the way the series ended in the fifth book. Do I need to add a wink and a nudge here? Do I? Don't make me turn this review around, kids.

But I digress. At the end of the fifth book, Victory of Eagles, Laurence and his dragon Temeraire went into exile to Australia after being convicted of treason, and it was very sad. Aft
Manisha
There’s nothing to add here but for one thing:

It’s better than the previous book! It’s not that much better, but it is somewhat better.

And I think I know why it’s better. Temeraire is BACK!

Besides this obvious improvement, the series has stagnated for me. There has been no great developments or changes regarding story or character. The concept, which had started with such wonder and magic has now become stale and rooted in reality.

This series is not magical enough for me anymore. And that sadd
Jamie Collins
3.5 stars; better than the last book, if not as satisfying as the earlier ones. It’s too short, for one thing. It’s still a travelogue, but there is more excitement this time - disasters and battles and hardships - as Laurence and Temeraire continue their world tour in South America. Novik’s eagerness to depict the way people and dragons interact in different societies seems to drive the plot more than the circumstances of the war.

Her writing is still very entertaining, though. The characterizat
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lot better than the last few books in this series.

With an original twist, Mrs. Naomi describes a world where dragons practically "own" humans and gives you a unique insight into dragons' mentality and customs.

I admit it! I was left open-mouthed at times and completely baffeld at others. But went through it all with a smile on my lips.
The dragons are sweet and endearing and so childlike in their behaviour that you cannot help but smile at their antics. Imagine a 10 ton heavy fire breathing ho
Joe Howe
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ok, this book, this series.

Yes, the premise (the Napoleanic era + Dragons)is shamefully ridiculous. No need to doubt your judgement there.

But the execution? Oh Sweet Merciful Lord, soooo good. It's light, it's fluffy, and it's flawless. The best treat is the characterizations of the main characters of the the Dragon and his Captain, but you go far enough into it and there's even some substance - meditations on how the war to fight Napoleon (good)balances against the preservation of the worst asp
Nicholas
I really want to like this series, but I'm afraid the previous two entries have fallen flat with me.

I enjoy the characters, but I don't really feel like they are progressing much. Novik is doing a good job of moving her characters around the globe and putting them in new settings. I liked the work she did w/ the Inca culture and it was nice to meet the Tswana again. Overall, however, we didn't learn much new about the characters and they didn't seem to evolve much. Sure we learned a personal sec
Hailee
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best instalments of this series yet.

Review to come...

Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
A good summer read, easy and fast. I know I'm reading it at the beginning of May, but we're already enduring a heatwave, so I wasn't in the mood for anything more demanding.

I've been a moderate fan of Temeraire adventures since His Majesty's Dragon , and I'm glad to find some improvement after the less satisfactory Tongues of Serpents . I still get the travelogue vibe that ignores the central Napoleonic Wars theme in favor of exploring exotic locations, but with Crucible of Gold there are act
Emily
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
As always the best parts of the Temeraire series are the chapters that are Temeraire's POV. The dragons are so much better developed as characters than the humans. I always find Laurence's POV to be much less interesting. Crucible of Gold was definitely an improvement over the last book which was so boring, but this one also dragged in some places. It's another book where not much at all happens plot wise. The whole trip to Brazil was pretty pointless. Headed to the finish line on this series - ...more
Kate
Apr 02, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the first dragon book of hers that I gave less than 5 or 4 stars to. I don't think it's a stand-alone book. Heck, I've read them all and I was still confused by who did what when. It's a tough call about how much backstory to toss into each book in a series and I think she under-did it.

Temeraire seems to have lost some of his intelligence and love of learning--and he's caught in the whole competition with other dragons to the point of dullness. He'd matured so much through the first coup
Wealhtheow
After repeatedly doing what they thought was moral, rather than following their orders, Laurence and Temeraire had finally broken free of the British Empire and began living a peaceful life in Australia. But alas, Laurence's dutiful nature cannot be overcome forever, and he and his draconic bff are convinced to rejoin the Aerial Service. They ship off to South America, in hopes of gaining new allies or at least, not losing their current ones.

At this point I kinda don't know why I shouldn't be r
Joanka
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This volume has one cardinal drawback – Tharkay is far away. Other than that, it was again one of my favourite volumes, which I see is not a very popular opinion? I enjoyed the travel theme and again, the worldbuilding Novik expands right before the reader’s eyes – I love it to pieces. I am not a huge fan of the whole creation of a world in a novel, in the sense that it either works for me or now, books that are built mainly on the exciting universe usually fail to amaze me. Here it’s not in the ...more
Katy
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun installment in the series. By now you should realize that the books follow the same formula. Travel to a new continent, meet some bad guys & good guys. Move on to another place.
Jennifer Rinehart
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have been more than patient, I waited for Temeraire and Lawrence to get back to the fight against Napoleon through three books and now this one drags the story to Incan South America (might as well have been back to Africa, the storyline is so similar). Uh uh, I'm done now (sorry if I sound ticked off, it's just that I adored this series, I even bought the first three books in audio version as well as paper).

But each book after has gotten more and more preachy, dragg-y and one off, it's like t
Viccy
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cashiered out of the King's Aviation Corps for conduct unbecoming an officer, William Laurence and his dragon, Temeraire, are living in Australia when Laurence is reinstated to his rank and sent to Brazil to try and prevent an alliance between the Incas and the French as well as protect the Portuguese royal family from the depredations of the Tswana, an African tribe. The ship on which they are traveling sinks and then they are captured by the French, who strand them on an atoll in the middle of ...more
Miriam
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Not great, but better than book 6, so I guess I'll get 8 in case we're on an upward slope.
Hopefully they'll ditch some of the personnel because there were way too many characters with not enough to do in this one. Including some who haven't been around since book 3, whom I'd forgotten all about.
Timothy Boyd
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the way this series wraps the real events of the Napoleonic wars into the story line. Very well written plot and great characters with just the right amount of humor and action mixed throughout. Extremely good series for a new fantasy reader or an older one that wants a new treat. Very recommended
Oda Renate
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This one is a clean 3 star, its defently better than 4,5,6. Its not as good as 1 but still an improvement.
I enjoyed the way this one went, there was a lot less skim reading then previously.
Also book 8 seems interesting from the premise
Otherwyrld
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, historical
Laurence and Temeraire are pulled out of their self-imposed exile in Australia for a new mission, to try and stop the Tswana (the African empire first encountered a few books ago) from permanently allying themselves with Napoleon. To that end, Laurence is reinstated as a Captain in the Aerial Corps and the Allegiance is sent back to retrieve them. Needless to say, things go badly awry with this plan...

It is no spoiler to note that the ship is wrecked long before they reach their goal, as it appe
Skyeofskynet
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Melissa McShane
Like Tongues of Serpents, Crucible of Gold is much shorter than the other Temeraire books. When I first read Tongues of Serpents in 2010, I wondered if it was the first half of a novel that was too long to publish in one volume, but now it's clear that they're both independent but short novels.

Part of the four-star rating is the very-probably-wrong feeling I have that this book, like the previous one, is too short, but it's really that it feels as if Temeraire and Lawrence have been sidelined..
Jessica
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this one. Really, really. And that's saying something, since I enjoy all her books! This one deals with certain hard questions, like the dragons' behavior toward their people, and vice versa. Also, it gives us an intriguing look at South America in Novik's world, and what the dragons are like there. Very interesting stuff, and I'm happy-sad to find that the series is winding down.
YouKneeK
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the seventh book in the Temeraire series. I enjoyed it a lot, on about the same level as the previous books, and definitely more than the sixth one. Unlike the last book, there weren’t as many unlikeable characters and I think that helped. I don’t have too much else to write about -- just a couple comments within the spoiler tags.

(view spoiler)
Alyssa (redheadreads)
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this might be my second favorite series ever (just behind HP of course)!

This series is so well thought out, so riveting, so funny, so joyful, and so dramatic, that even though I still have 2 books to read I’m already grieving the end.

This book was an incredible installment in the series so far. I absolutely loved the Incan setting and how it essentially swapped the world-building (which is incredible) previously established.

The cast of characters got even better and became even more r
Anna
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gosh so much happened in this one. Riley and the marooning and then Incas and Granby (!) and then ship hijacking. All very exciting and great.
Hazel West
Dec 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
This review has been a long time coming because I had to muddle through what I felt was a betrayal from this author who up to this point was one of my favorites, and how I won't be continuing this series.

Okay, a lot of people agree with me, the last book "Tongues of Serpents" was just ridiculous. What was the point of that book? They did nothing but tramp around Australian outback fighting desert water creatures. I was somewhat willing to cut slack when I read it, but after finding this book wa
Kelly
I don't know what's with this series that every time I stop paying attention for a few minutes there are suddenly corpses everywhere.
Ben Babcock
After over a year, I stumbled across the last three Temeraire books while browsing Chapters and realized the time has come to pick up this series and put it to rest. Crucible of Gold, the seventh instalment in these adventures, sees Laurence and Temeraire reinstated in the Aerial Corps for an urgent mission to Brazil. Napoleon has a shaky alliance with the Tswana, and they are raiding the Portuguese colonies there for their enslaved kin. Along the way, however, Laurence, Temeraire, and their par ...more
Leseparatist
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Slightly disappointed by this volume. The Incan dragons and dragon-and-human culture were cool and different enough (and the return of Tswana characters provided some decent continuity) but the overall pacing felt slightly off and the characters didn't feel like they were given their due.

(view spoiler)
Theobroma
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!! The thing I hate most about the Temeraire books is when they END!! I had been looking forward to this book for a long time and I wasn't disappointed (except when it ended cuz I wanted more and now I'll have to wait another two years, grrr).

I love these books because of the dragon characters. Temeraire and Iskierka did not disappoint. Laurence and the other human characters are good too, but let's face it, the dragons are the personalities in these books that really shine
  • The Alchemist in the Shadows (The Cardinal's Blades #2)
  • Dragon Soul (Havemercy #3)
  • The Bird of the River (Lord Ermenwyr, #3)
  • Within the Sanctuary of Wings (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #5)
  • Dragon Outcast (Age of Fire #3)
  • Necessary Evil (Milkweed Triptych, #3)
  • The Armor of Light
  • Of Noble Family (Glamourist Histories, #5)
  • The Rifter Book One: The Shattered Gates (Rifter #1-3)
  • Women Crime Writers: Four Suspense Novels of the 1950s: Mischief / The Blunderer / Beast in View / Fools' Gold
  • At the Queen's Command (Crown Colonies, #1)
  • Tooth and Claw
  • Prophecies, Libels & Dreams
  • A Companion to Wolves (Iskryne World, #1)
  • Hidden Warrior (The Tamír Triad, #2)
An avid reader of fantasy literature since age six, when she first made her way through The Lord of the Rings, Naomi Novik is also a history buff with a particular interest in the Napoleonic era and a fondness for the work of Patrick O’Brian and Jane Austen. She studied English literature at Brown University, and did graduate work in computer science at Columbia University before leaving to partic ...more

Temeraire (9 books)
  • His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1)
  • Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2)
  • Black Powder War (Temeraire, #3)
  • Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4)
  • Victory of Eagles (Temeraire, #5)
  • Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire, #6)
  • Blood of Tyrants (Temeraire, #8)
  • League of Dragons (Temeraire, #9)
“. . . and it came out that this King Arthur and his knights had done nothing of real note but to kill innocent dragons all around Britain: almost certainly a pack of lies, as Forthing admitted they had not possessed even any guns at the time, and unpleasant lies at that.” 4 likes
“They are ours,” he said, “although not properly the sailors: they are only along because we would not leave them to drown, and ought to be more grateful for it than they are. Laurence,” he said, turning, “this is Palta, and that man is called Taruca: Iskierka snatched him, and I cannot find she asked him in the least.” 3 likes