Start by marking “The Feelings Book” as Want to Read:
The Feelings Book

The Feelings Book

A surprising and silly book about moods, featuring such musings as "Sometimes I feel like staying in the bathtub all day", and "Sometimes I feel brave", illustrated with bold, bright, childlike drawings. Perfect for parents and teachers to use as a springboard for discussion about feelings.
Published February 21st 2011 by Megan Tingley

To ask other readers questions about The Feelings Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Feelings Book

Start your review of The Feelings Book
Jen
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I must admit, I was a little trepidatious when I uncovered this book; I'm not a feelings type. But I'm all for trying new things and also the faces on the front reminded me a little of the Little Miss and Mr. Men books by Roger Hargreaves and I loved those as a kid.
I'm glad I gave this a chance because it's actually quite delightful. It's not all about emotion and it's not sappy; sure, there are things like "sometimes I feel lonely" but there's also "sometimes I feel like kissing a sea lion" bec
Aneesa
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
"I feel like eating pizza for breakfast" is not a feeling.
Brittney
Jan 19, 2020 added it
Shelves: week-3
Text to self:
This book reminds me about my own personal feelings. Throughout the day I can show three different feelings. From being happy, to moody, and angry. As I was reading this book, it expressed all of my feelings that I’ve experienced since I was a child up until the age of twenty eight. The important part of the book was how it talked about sharing your feelings with others and I remember sharing most of my feelings with my parents and friends. Once I shared how I felt it made me feel b
Maddi Holmes
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book for the early primary grades, kindergarten through first grade. I would categorize this book at contemporary realistic fiction.

First of all, every Todd Parr book that I have ever read, I have loved! I love how he makes everything feel normal. Many people, especially children, feel like they need to keep all of their feelings bottled up. This book is perfect to teach children to do the opposite! You would have to elaborate and explain that when you are mad you can’t us
Missy Kirtley
My daughter loves the clear pictures in this book. It's wonderful that she can recognize all of the emotions depicted, and she loves to read the book aloud to herself and to her toys. She's 2 1/2, so this book is right up her alley. Once she and I have read it together a few times, she's able to "read" it on her own. I love that the book teaches her that different feelings are ok, and that different feelings are normal.
Nicole
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Elementary school counselor looking for books to use as part of my counselor intro lesson for kinder/first grade, and I've been a fan of Todd Parr since I found out about him a few years ago. Fun, colorful, and engaging book to read to kids (of all ages, really) about feelings. Definitely recommend!
Kellie
Dec 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all children
I imagine this will be a particularly good book for our older internationally adopted children who speak a different language than we do. The illustrations are very simple and I think it will be a good segue into communicating about our feelings.
Devon Flaherty
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This review has been a long time in coming. Todd Parr didn’t fall onto my list of TBRs in any conventional way (though I just looked it up and one of his books is on the Best Picture Books list). It was more of a way for me to volunteer at my kids’ school. It shouldn’t be surprising that I used to volunteer annually for the Scholastic book fair. When the Montessori school, then, had a famous author coming to read to the pre-schoolers through middle schoolers, they reached out to those of us who ...more
Michelle
Who doesn't love Todd Parr? When I had this out to review, three people came by and exclaimed their love of his books... this one in particular.

A former kindergarten teacher who used it on the first day of school.
A psychologist who uses it in group setting to validate someone's emotional spectrum.
A mom who's kid was having a hard time dealing with anger.

Todd Parr is awesome because his people and animals are post-racial, his print is easy for little kids to read, and he has the perfect mix of hy
Ashlyn Stevens
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
I really liked this book it was different. This book talk about feelings and emotions to help children explore them. It talks about different moods children can experience in a silly way. I think this would be a good book to have in the hospital because it would be a way to know how a child is feeling. Sometimes it is hard for a child to express their emotions and it is easier for them to open up through a book or an art activity. I think a good activity to do for this book is to have the patien ...more
Dzana
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is a great way to teach children about feeling different emotions. Throughout the story each emotion in the book is expressed through the characters body language and facial expression. Say a classmate took a toy from another student, instead of fitting over the toy they could express their feelings.
Chris
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A variety of emotions are presented in this colorful book. Illustrations depict scenarios that might bring on certain feelings or what some feelings look like. Opens the door for further discussion on emotions.
Nikki Morrissey
The Feelings Book by Todd Parr helps teach kids that it is ok to have feelings. Too many kids are taught to suppress their feelings, instead of learn how to recognize and cope with them in a healthy way. This book was a great addition in our household where we are open about our feelings.
Courtney Johnson
Apr 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Informational
Pre-K - 1st Grade
I am honestly disappointed in this book. I personally believe it showed more opinions than feelings. I thought it would be a good book to read to a little girl I watch, but instead, she told me it made her confused with the examples it gave.
G Lamb
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My three years old had trouble expressing his feelings and had tantrums all the times. After reading this book, he is much better. He can tell me how he feels especially when he is angry. Great book for kids learning to express their feelings
Zechariah
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute book with high contrast images to teach about feelings and expand baby's vocabulary.
Chance Lee
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-it
Big mood.
Kira McLaren
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great tool to use within the classroom with young children who are learning to advocate and explain their feelings!
Molly Dettmann
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute illustrations and good intro to talking about feelings with your kids.
Asha McKay
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: keith
Was given to us at a government funded play group designed for pre-school aged children. Short and simple, perfect for young kids learning about their feelings.
Lupe
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Wonderful resource to get kids to open up about feelings. Feelings are not good vs. bad. They are complex. This book gives many other examples as a springboard for a class discussion.
B'ney Hailstorm
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-ash
90% of these were me
Miss Pippi the Librarian

2019 storytime theme: feelings

Reviewed from a library copy.
Eleanor
I am beautiful
Katelynne
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Todd Parr’s bright and simple illustrations. A great one for talking about emotions and whims.
Tasnim
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s an amazing children’s book about different types of feelings with illustration and an important message. I enjoyed it very much.
Kelly
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
Sometimes I also feel like kissing a sea lion!
Caitlinleah
Always a Todd parr fan. We have his feelings flash cards and this is a good companion.
Alicia Evans
For: readers looking for a feelings book that is activities-focused ("Sometimes I feel like dancing" etc.)

Possible red flags: sad/mad feelings.
Josie E
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked the colors of the book and the overall message. Where the book lost me was the part about kissing a sea lion. I have never felt like kissing a sea lion, however after reading da book perhaps I will.
« previous 1 3 next »