Start by marking “The Feelings Book” as Want to Read:
The Feelings Book

The Feelings Book

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  625 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
A surprising and silly book about moods, featuring such musings as "Sometimes I feel like staying in the bathtub all day", and "Sometimes I feel brave", illustrated with bold, bright, childlike drawings. Perfect for parents and teachers to use as a springboard for discussion about feelings.
Published February 21st 2011 by Megan Tingley (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Feelings Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Feelings Book

Jen
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I must admit, I was a little trepidatious when I uncovered this book; I'm not a feelings type. But I'm all for trying new things and also the faces on the front reminded me a little of the Little Miss and Mr. Men books by Roger Hargreaves and I loved those as a kid.
I'm glad I gave this a chance because it's actually quite delightful. It's not all about emotion and it's not sappy; sure, there are things like "sometimes I feel lonely" but there's also "sometimes I feel like kissing a sea lion" bec
Maddi Holmes
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book for the early primary grades, kindergarten through first grade. I would categorize this book at contemporary realistic fiction.

First of all, every Todd Parr book that I have ever read, I have loved! I love how he makes everything feel normal. Many people, especially children, feel like they need to keep all of their feelings bottled up. This book is perfect to teach children to do the opposite! You would have to elaborate and explain that when you are mad you can’t us
Missy Kirtley
My daughter loves the clear pictures in this book. It's wonderful that she can recognize all of the emotions depicted, and she loves to read the book aloud to herself and to her toys. She's 2 1/2, so this book is right up her alley. Once she and I have read it together a few times, she's able to "read" it on her own. I love that the book teaches her that different feelings are ok, and that different feelings are normal.
Nicole
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Elementary school counselor looking for books to use as part of my counselor intro lesson for kinder/first grade, and I've been a fan of Todd Parr since I found out about him a few years ago. Fun, colorful, and engaging book to read to kids (of all ages, really) about feelings. Definitely recommend!
Kellie
Dec 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all children
I imagine this will be a particularly good book for our older internationally adopted children who speak a different language than we do. The illustrations are very simple and I think it will be a good segue into communicating about our feelings.
Chris
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A variety of emotions are presented in this colorful book. Illustrations depict scenarios that might bring on certain feelings or what some feelings look like. Opens the door for further discussion on emotions.
Chance Lee
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-it
Big mood.
Zechariah
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute book with high contrast images to teach about feelings and expand baby's vocabulary.
A Allen
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bought this book for my nephew's first birthday. The pictures are great and the message is wonderful.
Graciela Gonzalez
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book uses very bright eye catching colors to express the feelings the kids are experiencing. It talks about different feelings one feels and about things they feel like doing. It narrows down to no matter what you feel or feel like doing all feelings are ok and you should always share them with your love one. This book allows you to talk about different internal feelings and action feelings that interrelate with your child’s moods. Draw from your child’s own experiences so they could relate ...more
Lauren
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a really cute book that introduces what feelings are- it's probably a little too "old" for my 23 month old as some of them I am not sure she understands (like "sometimes I feel like kissing a sea horse") but she does seem to love it and some of them are basic enough like "sometimes i feel like being silly" that she really likes it and has been wanting to read it over and over since we got it.
Tami
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Todd Parr's book empower kids. This book encourages kids to talk or write about their feelings. He says his books: help kids recognize the differences in everyone. I simplify and celebrate those things that make everyone unique and different. I remind kids that it’s okay to have wheels or glasses or to be challenged. We all struggle with different things.
Ame
"Sometimes I feel like giving a sea lion a kiss" like ya' do!

The kids LOVED this one, when they bothered to pay attention to the fact I was reading. They love obvious graphics, such as characters expressing great emotion, as well as illustrations of dogs and/or cats, so this book was perfect for them!
Abby Willaims
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230-b
This is a great book for young children and readers that are just beginning. It depicts different emotions a person feels. This book can help children expand their vocabulary and learn how to express how they feeling in a better way.
Tina
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-sprocket
I love the simple bright illustrations that kind of look like kid art. The book was a hit with the 3 year old who demanded we read it twice before announcing "Sometimes I feel like tickling a tree"
A great conversation starter
Eva Kelly
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, this one is a baby book, kind of, but it's still a good one. I could read most of it. And the pictures were bright and happy. I just don't get why some guys who do books make their drawings all sloppy. But it's a good one so who cares?
Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
Love this one, especially the message about sharing your feelings with someone. Thst is so, so important for kiddos to learn early on so they know they are safe and it's ok to share how they feel. My two year old loved the funky drawings, as well.
Johana Salazar
I read with children toddlers. I like "The feelings book" because is colorful and simple to understand. I like the colorful pictures and my children like them to. They try to imitate every single one. LOL!
Lynn Demsky
Aug 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
The cover was brightly illustrated --- each page had a big print one word on it with pretty much a smiley face doing whatever the word said. Might be fun to try to have the kid make the face the words describing but............UGH!!!!
Roxanne Lund
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: repetition, i-own-it
Contains repetition. Great bold colors/illustrations as is typical of Todd Parr.
Barbara
Feb 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I really love Todd Parr! I read this book and then we created a class "Feelings" pop-up book.
Hilary
Nov 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
i didn't read any of his books as a child, only as an adult. i think they're pretty dynamic and really important.
Talia
Mar 10, 2012 added it
Shelves: the-kid-owns-it
Share your feelings, yo.
Miss Ryoko
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sometimes I feel like eating pizza for breakfast too.... and lunch and a dinner, every single day of my life :-p
Hannah Cobb
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
A colorful journey through the world of moods, feelings, and facial expressions. For children ages 2-6.
Anaeka
A loves 'sometime i feel silly'. Okay book. But kids find Todd's books very appealing. This book was a hit mainly because A remembered the Daddy Book every time she saw this.
Rachel
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Lots of feelings to exlpore with children. They love the silliness of it, too.
Tuyet Tran
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feeling
This book is a great intro of feelings to little children. Different feelings, different meaning.
Amy
Sep 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: sam-s-shelf
I think we're a little ahead of the game with this one . . .will try again in a few months.
Maya Drossner
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was younger I just liked acting out all the stuff like looking window,telling really loud,standing on your head and a bunch of other stuff that I used to love
  • Five for a Little One
  • Alphabet Under Construction
  • I Love You Because You're You
  • The Colors of Us
  • Glad Monster, Sad Monster
  • How Do You Feel?
  • Splat Says Thank You!
  • What's Wrong, Little Pookie?
  • Herb, the Vegetarian Dragon
  • Duck & Goose, How Are You Feeling?
  • Very Hairy Bear