Start by marking “The Okay Book” as Want to Read:
The Okay Book

The Okay Book

In illustrations and audio, Parr enumerates a number of different things that are okay, such as "It's okay to be short" and "It's okay to dream big". Full color.
Published February 21st 2011 by Little, Brown Young Readers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Okay Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Okay Book

Skylar Burris
Apr 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
The kids love this simple "It's okay to..." book. However, I am of the opinion that it is not okay to put a fish in your hair. Judgmental mommy.
Chance Lee
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-it
It's okay!
David
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Okay Book by Todd Parr is a book about many things that are okay, including differences such as being short or dreaming big.

Parr's unique, bright illustrations should appeal to young children and those who like simple and silly pictures. My favorite images are freckles, from different places, share, new things, different color, and dream big.

Parr looks at issues like tolerance, differences, individuality, uniqueness, and inclusion in a simple, understandable way, along with some silly pictur
Krista
May 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Parr’s books are well known for their vibrant style and easy-to-read text. This particular story works well when paired with any of the aforementioned books or one of Parr’s other popular works on families and parents such as, The Family Book, The Mom Book, or The Dad Book. Specifically, none of the images are messages directly address the issues of family type or issues of gender or sexuality as in the other recommended titles in this list. However, it expands and introduces a young child to ot ...more
Katherine
Jul 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is currently my favorite book. At least, judging from the number of times I've read it recently. Good thing I got that literature degree.

In all seriousness, this is a great board book. Just the right length, and lots of fun. Bean absolutely loves it, and has since she was four months old. It stops her in mid-cry. And hey, who can't love a book that says it's okay to put a fish in your hair??
Elizabeth K.
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-lucy
Todd Parr is popular in our house, and we like this book a lot. Different kinds of people, and those differences are okay.

It bothers me a little that it ends with the goofiness of being okay to wear a fish in your hair, because first, that is not okay, and second, I feel it takes away from the actual examples of ways that people are different. Yes, I know I'm reading way too much into a board book for babies. But hey, I'm the one who actually has to read it!
Rebecca
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love Todd Parr books. The bright colors are inviting, the repeated text makes the book accessible to kids, and the messages are simple but important. This one details that different is okay, using the sentence stem "It is okay. . . ." on each page.

In grades K-2 I would use this book to help teach diversity and how all people are different. I would have students respond by writing their own page to the book and make a classroom book with the responses.
Poppie
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I personally just love this book to bits! its great book to read when a child is feeling unsecure about him/herself. Moral is, its okay to be different and to like different things. Because lets face it, were all different in so many ways, and everyone should be accepted on how they look, or do for living.
Liesel
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool
Age range: 2-6
Literacy skill: Print motivation

This is a book about all the ways that its okay to be. "It's okay to be short. It's okay to be tall." And even, "It's okay to eat all of the frosting off your birthday cake." A nice book about acceptance of self and others.
Amber
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Nice little easy read. Simple text. Good for beginners. Nice Story line- acceptance.
Heather Richard
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We love this inclusive, sweet, and silly book. Perfect as a board book so we can teach tolerance young...
Hilary
Nov 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood
i didn't read any of his books as a child, only as an adult. i think they're pretty dynamic and really important.
Andrew
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
One of the first books sent home from the Jumpstart To Kindergarten program. You loooooved it - especially the wackier "it's Okay..." scenarios.
Aaliyah Hopkins
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Has a good message.
Nicole Armstrong
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I bought this as a board book and it quickly became one of Sophie's favorites.
lola Franco
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
my kids love this book.
Heather
Jul 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Bright pictures, fun themes. Liked it. It's ok to wear a fish in your hair. Message: it's ok to be different from other people.
Kristen
This board book is a good length for its intended reader but I miss my favorite page from the original book- "it's okay to eat macaroni in the bathtub!"
Dr. A.
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It really is okay to be who you are and look how you look. This book is a nice forerunner to the Seussian books that teach the same concepts more appropriate for older audiences.
K
  • Trucks Board Book
  • Cat Heaven
  • I Like It When . . .
  • Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy
  • How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
  • BooBoo
  • Lunch
  • Whoever You Are
  • Curious George's Opposites
  • Spot Goes to the Circus
  • Little Gorilla
  • Agate: What Good Is a Moose?
  • Pirate Girl