Start by marking “Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch” as Want to Read:
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  376,805 Ratings  ·  16,348 Reviews
An alternative cover for this ISBN can be found here

Mass Market Paperback, 412 pages
Published November 28th 2006 by William Morrow (first published May 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Good Omens, please sign up.
Maddie The line is a reference to Ganghis Khan, who raped so many women that 1% of the population is said to be decendended from his gene pool. The rape…moreThe line is a reference to Ganghis Khan, who raped so many women that 1% of the population is said to be decendended from his gene pool. The rape itself is not the joke.(less)

Jeremy Zerbe
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Remember back when funny books were funny? Back before you went to college and found out that Dave Barry and Carl Hiaasen weren't funny after all, but Samuel Beckett and Charles Dickens were hilarious? Remember when the words on the page didn't just make you smile wryly and shake your head in shame for humanity, but actually made you laugh out loud? Well, that's the kind of humor that Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's 1990 release Good Omens brims with, and it is so damn good.

The two British aut
Manny
I somehow ended up reading them both simultaneously. So I couldn't help wondering

What Madam Bovary Might Have Thought Of Good Omens

Three days later, a package arrived; there was no return address, but she immediately recognised Rodolphe's hand. It contained a paperback novel, whose title was Good Omens. Feverishly, she cast herself over it. Her English was poor, but, with the aid of a dictionary, she persevered and soon made great progress.

The more she read, the greater her bewilderment became.
Derek
Feb 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this book was a huge disappointment for me. I’d heard so many good things about it and had been meaning to read it for years. When I finally started it, I was about 20 pages into it and thought, “Yes! This is going to be one of the most entertaining books I’ve ever read.” It was like reading The Hitchhiker’s Guide for the first time again. It was witty and fast-paced and had so many brilliant things to say about society and religion. And then about halfway through, I realized that I jus ...more
Jayson
(A-) 80% | Very Good
Notes: Not as funny as I’d anticipated, and at times it’s a bit too absurd for my tastes, but a good ending and loads of charm.
Nataliya

In my personal hierarchy of books, this one comes a close second after Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita. What can I say - like (diabolical) father, like (infernal) son.
"It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people."

In a way, I can view this book as my own personal therapy session - that is, in addition to it being a h
Cecily

Don’t be misled by those who class this as fantasy, humour, or just fiction.

This is actually a profound philosophical and theological treatise, exploring good and evil, nature versus nurture, free will, war, pollution, and organised religion.

But it’s cleverly disguised as a madcap caper featuring angels, demons, the M25 motorway, Manchester, raining fish, dolphins, Atlantis, aliens, the Apocalypse, the young Antichrist, Americans, footnotes for Americans, tunnelling Tibetans, witches, witch-fi
Felicia
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves, fantasy
One of my all-time favorite books. Up there with Hitchhiker's Guide.
Bookdragon Sean
I knew from the first page that this book would not work for me.

I slogged through about half of it and gave up. I lost the thread of the plot long before due to my lack of interest in everything this book is. It all felt forced, like the themes and ideas were shoved into the narrative and that the plot had to adapt to fit them in. It was trying too hard to be funny rather than actually being funny. Life is far too short for books I don’t enjoy.

And I could never enjoy this. It felt like it was w
Miranda Reads
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING," said Death. "JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.”
The Apocalypse is not off to a good start.

Ten years ago, Crowley (a demon) brought the infant Anti-Christ to a group of Satanic Nuns who swapped the Anti-Christ with a human child. For ten years, Aziraphale (an Angel) and Crowley educate the child on the finer points of good and evil.
“People couldn't become truly holy," he said, "unless they also had the opportunity to be definitively wicked."
Lyn
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
The year is 2114 and in an upstairs apartment in Lower Tadfield, Oxfordshire, England four people – Marge, Ron, Neville and Madam Tracey – sit around a table. They are gathered for a séance.

Madam Tracey: I can feel my spirit guide approaching.

Marge: Ooooo, this is exciting!

Madam Tracey: [In a dark brown voice] How! [Then in her normal voice] Geronimo is that you? [And again in the deep voice] Yes, this’n is me.

Neville: This is just like in that old book by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, Good O
Choko
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, demons, humor
*** 4.75 ***

"... “God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.” ..."

Loved every second of it! A book about free choice and nature vs nurture, some good old pondering
Jen
Aug 11, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I actually feel a little bad giving this 2 stars, since I see so many reviews of people who loved this book. Unfortunately, I'm just not one of them.

I usually like Pratchett's work, and there are a few comic touches that I liked here, but overall the unbelievably slow pace of the latter half of this story nearly drove me bonkers. It skips over about 10 years in a few chapters, and then camps out at 6 hours 'til doomsday for hundreds of pages. The dialogue of the children was tiresome, and the o
Kyle Nakamura
Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who doesn't take their spirituality too seriously
This has got to be one of the funniest satires I've ever read. I suppose the closest comparison I could make is to describe it as a literary sibling to Dogma, but filtered through a distinctly British lense. That description doesn't really do the story justice, but that film definitely hits me in the same place as the book.
The whole premise, and I'm not giving much away here, begins with the accidental "mis-placement" of the infant Antichrist during a complex baby-swapping procedure intended t
J.G. Keely
I read this book before I tried to tackle Pratchett on his own merit, so I may have to retroactively skew this review based upon what I now know. The book is enjoyable, but may suffer from the fact that it represents its two authors at what seems to be their most basic states.

There is no question as to the recognizability of both Gaiman's and Pratchett's respective styles here, but neither seems to add anything to the other. One of Gaiman's weaknesses is surely his general lack of humor. Anythin
Anne
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: jill joyce
Reread 2014
I read American Gods not too long ago, and while I liked it, it didn't turn out to be a favorite. So I wondered if maybe I shouldn't go back and check this one out. You know, see if it was really as good as I remembered?
Huh.
It was actually better. Hilarious!
The 5 star rating stands!

Original review 2009

Good Omens is going to have to go down as one of my favorites! I wouldn't say that I laughed out loud, but I snorted once or twice and smiled the whole way through! Who would have thoug
Buffy
Sep 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
I can't for the life of me understand the good reviews that this book has received. I consider myself a person with a great sense of humour. Though I found Crowley an extremely enjoyable character, I could not bring myself to finish this book. All of these characters thrown in and abrupt switches of storyline annoyed me and made me refuse to finish it.

This book tries way too hard to be "wacky". There is no naturalness to the flow of the humor. Speaking of which, there is no naturalness to the p
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
No getting around it, it IS funny! Clever satire that’s harmlessly irreverent. I wasn’t rolling on the floor or anything but I had 4 (I counted) laugh-out-loud moments, a few good giggles & a smile on my face throughout. A great story that moves along very nicely, as Good and Evil (as represented by the angel Aziraphale & the demon Crowley) join forces to try & avert the apocalypse. Definitely held my interest.
The interplay between these two was what really made the story, liked it
Lena
Jan 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I find if very difficult not to like a book about how plans for Armageddon hit a snag when a scatterbrained Satanic nun misplaces the Antichrist.

Many of the reviews of Good Omens compare it to Douglas Adams. There are some similarities in that much of the story occurs outside the bounds of normal reality, it's genuinely funny, and very British. But I found the overall tone to be softer, less snarky, and more intentionally philosophical in nature.

While the book is very entertaining, it also ask
Maria Clara
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sin lugar a dudas es un libro muy divertido; me lo he pasado muy bien con "el bien y el mal" y sus meteduras de pata jajaja...
Richard Derus
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Rating: the least annoyed three stars I can muster out of five

The Publisher Says: According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (the world's only completely accurate book of prophecies, written in 1655, before she exploded), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just before dinner.

So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, Atlantis is rising, frogs are falling, tempers are flaring. Everything appears to be going according to Divine Plan. Except a some
Helen 2.0
-----7/1-----
Good Omens is a book about the Antichrist and the end of the world. But don't worry, it's not all sad! In fact, most of it is hilarious. The angel Aziraphale and the demon Crowley are each tasked with finding the Antichrist as a baby and swaying him over to their respective sides; heaven or hell. However, through a misunderstanding they lose the Antichrist and he grows up to be a normal human boy. As a result, Armageddon goes off with a few hitches.

It was just as good as I expected
Nikoleta
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, cute-funny
Εντάξει, αυτό το βιβλίο μπορεί να μην είναι η γρήγορη περιπέτεια, με την έντονη δράση, αλλά είναι η πιο κεφάτη και αστεία εκδοχή για τον Αρμαγεδδώνα, που μπορεί να δει ή να διαβάσει άνθρωπος!
Αυτή η ζωηρή, τσαχπίνικη, καυστική και φλύαρη αφήγηση που κάνει «μπαμ» ότι έχει βάλει το χεράκι του ο αείμνηστος Pratchett, θα μου μείνει αξέχαστη.

«Πρέπει να το παραδεχτείς πάντως, ήταν λίγο φάρσα το πράγμα», είπε ο Κρώλυ. «Θέλω να πω, δείχνεις το Δέντρο και λες "Μην αγγίζετε" με μεγάλα γράμματα. Δεν είναι κ
Maggie Stiefvater
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
This novel spoof of THE OMEN is absolutely hilarious. From the four bikers of the apocalypse to adorable hell hounds, it's my absolute favorite offering from Terry Pratchett -- his humor mixed with Neil Gaiman's is absolute win in my opinion.

***wondering why all my reviews are five stars? Because I'm only reviewing my favorite books -- not every book I read. Consider a novel's presence on my Goodreads bookshelf as a hearty endorsement. I can't believe I just said "hearty." It sounds like a stew
C.G. Drews
I won't lie: I read this because it has a) Crowley in it, and b) it's an adult book and I was adulting. (That was exhausting though. Please, lead me back to the children's aisle. That's where I belong.) I totally enjoyed it though because it's HILARIOUS. Yeah maybe the story is a bit waffly in places and there are some useless tangents it runs off on, but it is downright funny. Why? Oh, oh keep calm. I'll show you.

First of all, it is SO like the Supernatural TV series. What can I say? I'm a
Will Byrnes
Oct 05, 2008 rated it did not like it
Not very amusing attempt at biblical humor. It was a chore. I did not finish it, getting through 130 pages before casting it aside. It read to me like it had been written by two snarky twenty-year-olds.
Robin (Bridge Four)
“It has been said that civilization is twenty-four hours and two meals away from barbarism.”

This was quirky and a little on the odd side but totally fun. Heaven and Hell have basically been in a cold war for well forever it seems. Ever since Lucifer “An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards.” became the bad guy the final show down has been in the works. But now, finally Satan’s son has been born and the prophecies all say that when he is Eleven the end of the world wi
Samantha
Aug 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone except those with no sense of humor or those who take the Book of Revelations seriously
Shelves: funny-satirical
Oh. My. God.

This was one of the funniest books I have ever read. The writing was phenomenal and I could see myself and others I know in many of the quirky characters.

Good and Evil's earthly representatives discover that the time for the Apocalyse has arrived and they're not too happy about it. You see, they've grown to like life on Earth. And besides, Evil (with a capital 'E') itself couldn't possibly do worse things to mankind than what mankind does to itself.

And the antichrist's name is Adam,
Anna
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, classic, humor
sardonically sarcastic!!!

Σε ένα πρόσφατο ταξίδι στην Αγγλία ήθελα να αγοράσω κάτι .... αγγλικό για ενθύμιο και ναι, σκέφτηκα αυτό το βιβλίο!

Για όσους ξέρουν το έργο του Gaiman και του Pratchett, θα αγόραζαν το αποτέλεσμα της συνεργασίας τους με κλειστά μάτια. Και σίγουρα δεν θα απογοητεύονταν!!!

Καταρχήν από το οπισθόφυλλο φαίνεται ότι τα πράγματα δεν πάνε πολύ καλά για το σχέδιο του Αρμαγεδώνα: Ο δαίμονας και ο άγγελος που είναι υπεύθυνοι στη Γη δεν φαίνονται να νοιάζονται και πολύ... Και όσο γι
Mario
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“I don't see what's so triffic about creating people as people and then gettin' upset cos' they act like people", said Adam severely. "Anyway, if you stopped tellin' people it's all sorted out after they're dead, they might try sorting it all out while they're alive.”

Neil Gaiman + Terry Pratchett = Perfection

Let me start this review with saying that if you're not so open minded hardcore religious person. do yourself a favor and don't read this book 'cause you might end up really, really hating
E.H.
Sep 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to be happy
Shelves: theboxmarkeddone
So, funny story. I was reading this book (re-reading, really) during a recent training session for my job (a fairly tedious process - the training, that is - which involves sitting in front of a computer for long hours listening to boring presentations about the software). The guy who was sitting next to me was reasonably attractive and rather chatty, and he looked over and said, "What are you reading?"

"Good Omens," I said, and seeing that he obviously had no idea what it was, I added, "It's abo
  • The Sandman: Book of Dreams (The Sandman)
  • Smoke and Ashes (Tony Foster #3)
  • Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)
  • The Scar (New Crobuzon, #2)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming (Millennial Contest, #1)
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Player of Games (Culture, #2)
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death. JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.” 2670 likes
“God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.” 2093 likes