Start by marking “Between Friends” as Want to Read:
Between Friends

Between Friends

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  217 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Dear Author,

I hope you can tell their story.

Photo Description: Two naked men lie on a wrinkled, gray bed. The blonde is on his back, l
Published July 18th 2011 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Between Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Friends

Exina
David and Jake are friends, but a life-threatening situation makes Jake realize that he maybe waited too long to reveal his true feelings for David.
“You waited. I’ve waited. We’re so stupid.”

Usually I love friends-to-lovers stories but Jake and David didn’t seem to be friends. No affection, no good-hearted banter between them, no references to past events.
The erotica was rushed, with no chemistry.
Britta ★ Nachteule ★
***Read as part of the free Don't Read in the Closet: Volume Two anthology. Story #28***

Confusing writing is confusing! I needed my time and some second or even third looks to figure out what was going on.
As far as I understand Jake is David's friend and boss in some delivery service.
David figures Jake is straight but that's wrong. (If they were so good friends, how come David didn't know, Jake likes men?)
Jake got the call about the robbery and hurried to drive to the store so he was there with
Marte - Thunderella
** 2 fucking friends stars **

---------------------------
"Fuck being friends! (...) I'm tired of being Goddamn friends."
---------------------------

I'm all for a friends to lovers theme, and I'm happy they got together in the end. But damn this story was confusing. Wasn't Jake straight? Was he with the police? Wasn't he David's boss with the delivery company. The change of POV were sometimes confusing too. And they're suddenly (view spoiler)
Nile Princess
Really liked this one but it was a bit confusing. It's supposed to be a friends, turned lovers, story and we're told a few times throughout the story that they're friends....but the friendship never really rings true for me. It reads more like employer/employee. It's even mentioned that the only time David would come to Jake's house is if he had a party and other employees were coming, so how were they friends? Then there's the lack of familiarity with Jake's house. Jake brings him home and says ...more
Cherie Noel
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This hot little number was everything a short read should be. Totally gripping right from the get-go, intense through-out, and ultimately satisfying. Damn. When I finished reading I felt like I'd just finished a good, hard...well, you get the picture. This is exactly why you're a must read author for me, Em.
Audrey
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: man-love
3+ story. Good short story with action of both the sexytimes and non-sexytimes variety. I liked that these characters had a backstory, so their feelings for each other didn't just come out of the blue. A life-threatening situation is the intense catalyst for their revealing and exploring each other's feelings for the other.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free, m-m
Like most of these stories; I wish it were longer

Still a great short story
LutaWolf
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, free-read
Short but Awsome! Usually I'm not the type to tell you what the story is about but since I'm the first one up here I will. The story is about David and Jack. David works and is friends with Jack and wants more. However it's not until a life threatening situation arises that you start to realize that Jack might want more too... I've found me a new author to read. What impressed me is the impact of emotion that was put through such a short story. Yes the story was well written, the plot was good, ...more
CAS
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The place was sparse, but that was because of Jake’s nature. He’d explained once that he didn’t bring anything home he didn’t want to keep forever."
Wow! This hit me pretty much like it must have hit David, it just says so much about both moments and how important they are to both men.

I loved this story, it has everything I look for in an amazing read. Definately a favorite for me and I would love to read more about David and Jake.. :)
Thank you for a really incredible read.

Wendy Ann
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow, intense! The story just grabs you right away and reels you in. I loved the combination of strength and vulnerability in both guys. Sometimes it does take a desperate act or threat to show someone their true path. I'm glad that Jake took the best possible advantage of his second chance. The part where David remembered about Jake that: "he didn’t bring anything home he didn’t want to keep forever" really made an impression with me. Fabulous story - thank you!!!
Trix
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
It was such an endearing story! And the final punch line was so funny and yet right as an ending to the scene (and beginning of a relationship between the two)..."Hey, what’s a little panic attack between friends?"

The story had just the right amount of adrenaline, witty dialogue and deep feelings to turn this short telling into a lovely Happily Ever After romance.
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, freebies
Sweet story about guys who are friends who both work for the same company. After a harrowing burglar/hostage experience, they take their relationship to the next level. The story moves fast, and I wish it showed more of the guys as friends, but it was a solid 3.5 read for me.
Karlijn
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good and way too short.
Courtney
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
This story was pretty good for being so short, but I was a little confused and had way more questions than answers by the end. I almost rated it 2 stars, but bumped it up, because I did like it, it just wasn’t anything that great. It starts off pretty fast paced, with David delivering to a gas station when a robbery becomes a hostage situation. His friend, Jake, who David believes is straight, ends up coming to check up on him. This is where the first of many questions arise. There isn’t enough ...more
Elin
David, a cop, gets caught in a hostage situation in a convenience store, (view spoiler)
Neyjour
Story Prompt:
These two have been friends for a long time, but nothing more. Now after a near life threatening experience one has just started to feel more than he was execting for the other and is unsure about himself and his feels for his blonde friend. I hope you can tell their story.

Kath
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
this was a really ok read...
the only thing is that their relationship seem more like employer and employee like than deep friendship... there was nothing said or used to indicate that they were super close in the contrary David would just go to Jake's house if there was a party, this doesn't show closeness...
maybe if it had been slightly longer that could have been fixed, way too short. o(^o^)0
Serena
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: gr-dritc, romance-mm
Don't Read in the Closet: Volume Two

My Rating System:
* couldn't finish, ** wouldn't recommend, *** would recommend, **** would read again, ***** have read again
Blaine
“Hey, what’s a little panic attack between friends?”

I loved how navy training kicked in and how David handled the robbery. Pretty gutsy girl too!
Jake having a reality check and panic and taking charge was good to read.

Hot and intense!
Anjali
Too fast Too confusing and incomprehensible, may be I do not get what other people see in this story. Definitely not for me.
David and Jake characters were not explained properly.Everything was happening so quick ,that within a page they went from friends to lovers and moving in together.
Leaundra
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This story was hot!!
Ameena
I have only one word to describe this CONFUSING!
Silvia
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short and sexy!
Roro
Oct 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Vio
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Awww a tender, sweet story. It was cute and funny and I loved the HEA feel to it, romantic fluff of the good kind.
Bernice
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this story! A little intrigue, a lot of desperation and a hot duo! Spectacular! :D
Lila Hunter
A friends to lovers short.
Sadonna
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: free, mm
Hot short story about two friends who discover they might be more after a harrowing escape from a life-threatening situation.
Simsala
3,5 stars.
Nice read,but say goodbye to logic.
Cindi
  • Surf's Up
  • Mourning
  • Cody and the Hermit
  • Appearing Knightly
  • Innocence to the Max (Iunctiō Cōpula, #0.5)
  • Just One Kiss
  • Spinner
  • Got Your Six
  • Be a Bad Boy
  • Taken
  • Hold Me Tight
  • It's the End of the World As We Know It
  • I Am the Highway
  • Hidden Needs (Secrets of the Sanctuary, #1)
  • Beneath Your Wings
  • Sink or Swim
  • Sucker-Punch
All about little ol' me? Hmm. Okay, the normal stuff first. I currently live in the Midwest near Detroit, Michigan with my husband and two sons who are ten and seven years old. All three keep me on my toes. I work in the automotive industry making sure all the parts inside the car look pretty along with handling all the paperwork that goes along with that (you'd be amazed at how much there is!).

More about Em Woods...