Start by marking “The Peace Book” as Want to Read:
The Peace Book

The Peace Book

Peace is making new friends
Peace is giving shoes to someone who needs them
Peace is a growing garden
Peace is having enough pizza in the world for everyone

The Peace Book delivers positive and hopeful messages of peace in an accessible, child-friendly format featuring Todd Parr's trademark bold, bright colors and silly scenes. Targeted to young children first beginning to
Published February 2nd 2005 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Peace Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Peace Book

Start your review of The Peace Book
Karina
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Board book for the littles that, although weirdly drawn, was a great message for us all. Peace is acceptance, freedom, languages, love, a place everyone can call a home....

Enjoyable and will melt your icy little heart...
Keeley
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I know plenty of adults who should read this book. Spot on, Todd Parr can do no wrong!
Lauren Waters
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The sentences and ideas are so simple but important to spread the message of acceptance, kindness, citizenship and peace.
Peacegal
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I am not a fan of the illustration style, but I am a fan of the message of the book. The experience of peace is examined in both personal life (peace is thinking about someone you like) and worldwide (peace is when everyone has a home).

Everyone can communicate peace and respect in their dealings with others...even small kids.
Arminzerella
Bright, colorful, hopeful, Todd Parr's "Peace Book" defines peace in myriad ways with lots of examples that will appeal and make sense to kids who might not really be sure what it is or how they can achieve/experience it. Well-crafted for a young audience.
Erika Bowen
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1. Book Summary in your own words
Todd Parr provides an introduction to the meaning of peace and the importance of living in harmony with people of all different cultures and backgrounds from all around the world.
2. Grade level, interest level, lexile
Grades: PreK-K
3. Appropriate classroom use (subject area)
Peace
4. Individual students who might benefit from reading
Students who are of different ethnicities. Students who have difficulty understanding that everyone is different.
5. Small group use
Jake
Oct 31, 2016 added it
This book was about going from growing a garden to building a snowman. This book also was about friendship and teamwork. This book was all about "peace among us" in a very childish way. I have no interest in this book and i think a kindergartener should read it. I did not like this book because it was vey short and it had pictures. This book could have been better if it was a big fat book and more detailed. I would recommend this book to a K-Grade because it is short, good for their reading ...more
Hannah Morrison
Todd Parr is one of my favorite children's authors. His stories are always so simple yet meaningful. The Peace Book is something I would read to students of all ages, not just in elementary school. My students love the line "Peace is having enough pizza for everyone to eat". Although this is eluding to world hunger, my students found it terribly unfair that not all children can have pizza. His bright and popping illustrations add so much life to his books. Would always find a way to use this in ...more
Samantha
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is incredible! It takes a difficult subject and breaks it down into pieces that not only make sense, but make it easier to discuss this concept with a child. "PEACE is being different, feeling good about yourself, and helping others." That quote just says it all for me.

Artwork is vivid and done in a childlike style.

This might be my favorite Parr book. It's eloquent and useful and he makes it look effortless.
Nke
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a good book to introduce the discussion of peace during RE or PSHE. Each page is a different meaning of peace from the author. It has great illustrations that are colourful and appealing to children. This would be a good book to explain how one word can have multiple meanings and different people interpret certain words in different ways. This book is suitable for lower KS2.
Heather
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Everyone together: AWWW...

And now kumbaya.
Tiana Valentin
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-study
The Peace Book exemplifies what peace is. From saying sorry and making new friends to helping someone in need, Todd Parr lets all children know that peace is all about being happy and feeling free. There is no better world than one that is filled with peace and love.

Through Todd Parr's use of bright illustrations and lack of punctuation his message across the book truly flows. His repetition of the statement "peace is" truly reinforces the message behind the text. Overall, I would rate this
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Review first published on my blog, Nine Pages .

The Peace Book is all about good stewardship of the earth and care for all humanity. Peace is keeping the water blue. It’s saying sorry when you hurt someone. It’s helping a neighbor. It’s exploring other cultures. It’s fixing societal problems like homelessness and hunger. Illustrated in Parr’s very bright, simple style, this is a book for everyone! Seriously, there’s as much if not more in here for adults than the kids. It’s a good reminder of
Megan Martin
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Todd Parr has very colorful and easy to read books for baby to 2nd grade children. You could also use this book for children with learning disabilities and/or sensory issues, in and out of the classroom.

This picture book simply discusses the things we feel which are peaceful in life. Being a friend, keeping the planet clean for the animals and everyone, sharing, giving someone a hug, and feeling good about yourself. This is a wonderful book to introduce a Social Emotional Learning lesson in your
Mario Flores
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Elementary school-aged children, Kindergarteners and Pre-K preferably
Michelle
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another NY Times bestseller from Todd Parr. ...and I LOVE IT!

I particularly love the inclusion of food, clothing, housing, language, and --of course--books!

The child-like illustrations, Todd Parr's specialty, is eye-catching and has great kid appeal.

Great when paired with It's Okay to be Different!

Audience: PK3-2nd grade
Curriculum Connections: FUN; bedtime story; compassion; peace; character counts; social-emotional awareness
Amanda
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Genre-Realistic Fiction
Awards-None
Illustrations- The illustrations are done with paint, they look like kids did the painting. This is appealing to me and I think would also be appealing for young students when reading this or having it read aloud to them.
Summary- This book is exactly what the title says it is, it is about peace.
My view- I think this book would be a great learning tool when trying to implement social/emotional growth.
Amy
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a library bound edition of Parr’s 2004 classic book about peace. Bright illustrations feature colorful people being kind, considerate and welcoming in a variety of ways – from apologizing to traveling to sharing. This simple book is a nice discussion starter about peace for children. Recommended for purchase.
Aolund
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Effective, repetitive text with various statements of what peace is, some funny, some profound ("Peace is having enough pizza in the world for everyone" "Peace is everyone having a home." Parr's usual bright, whimsical illustrations fill out the simple text, providing a little more content for kids to engage with and discuss. Pre-K+

Themes: Peace, World
Kristin Feliciano
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think you can never go wrong with a Todd book. He always has great books with cute pictures. I like how this book talks about the different ways people feel about what peace means. I would have this I my collection just so that my students can begin to start conversations about what they want the classroom and community to look like!
Maria Shuffit
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owen-s-books
I had a hard time reading this book to my kiddo because he could not keep his hands off of it long enough for me to do so! Bright and attractive illustrations paired with a good message made this one a winner.
Kris Dersch
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's Todd Parr so of course it is lovely and inspiring. A literal definition of the word might be handy for smaller readers, I feel like that might have helped kiddo conceptually. But the world needs more books like this one.
Linh
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very cute book.
I used it as a fun read aloud to remind the students about how small things bring people peace. I would definitely read this book and do a unit/larger activity with it later on the year/different group.
Emily Carlyn
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
This is a sweet book on an important topic. I love the bright colors and I know children do too. I would ask the children if they think it's nice that neighbors help each other, nice when people say sorry, etc. I know there are better ways to talk about the book but that worked for me.
Jo Oehrlein
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Talks about different kinds of peace, but I don't think all of them are really about peace. Some are just diversity.

The book has very bright illustrations with thick black outlines. That makes them look very simple.
Francis
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Extremely positive message given throughout the book. We read this with my Grade 7 and Grade 1 buddy class. We then watched a video of Todd Parr reading the story, and he adds extra emphasis on certain parts, which make it very enjoyable.
Kary
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
I always love Parr's books because the illustrations are so colorful! This one is great to teach peace and kindness.
Heather Gunnell
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Staff Pick

Todd Parr's books are wonderfully colorful and optimistic. The Peace Book is another fabulous, feel-good story from an author who never fails to help me smile.
Stephen
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very nice positive message.
Ms. Arca
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Appreciate a peace themed book, and especially like how he wove the meaning of peace into every day moments. Super sweet.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Be Kind
  • Down by the Bay
  • Where Are You From?
  • Fly Away Home
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever
  • The Miraculous