Start by marking “Clark Howard's Living Large in Lean Times: 250+ Ways to Buy Smarter, Spend Smarter, and Save Money” as Want to Read:

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  667 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
Clark Howard is a media powerhouse and penny-pincher extraordinaire who knows a thing or two about money. A lifelong entrepreneur who is now the hugely popular host of a talk radio program and television show and the bestselling author of several books, Clark consistently delivers expert financial advice to his wide and devoted fan base.
"Living Large in Lean Times" is Cla
ebook, 1 page
Published August 1st 2011 by Avery Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Clark Howard's Living Large in Lean Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clark Howard's Living Large in Lean Times

Nancy
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Clark Howard Show used to air on a talk radio station I listened to on my way home from work late at night. The advice he gave was the same my dad gave me and my dad successfully retired a multimillionaire before the stock market crash. Still, Clark Howard had great advice for my day to day living as well as my investments and retirement. I was hooked.

In his new book, Living Large in Lean Times, Clark expands his penny pinching skills by providing more tech savvie sites and updated informati
Donna
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I used to listen to the Clark Howard show on a local radio station, but then the station stopped carrying it. So now, after reading this book, I looked Clark Howard up and found out that his show just moved to a different station. I will have to remember that next week when it is on.

He is the king of frugal living, but he offers so much more like advice on finances which is the area I'm always the most interested in. He has an honest, no-nonsense approach to living below your means. While, I'm n
Terri Lynn
I have mixed feelings about frugal living books. I like to save money as much as anyone but have certain standards I refuse to budge on.

Clark Howard would have me send my kids to community college (is he kidding or what?) instead of a 4 year college to save money (totally ignoring the fact that students can take dozens of CLEP and DSST tests for $80 each and get 3-12 college credits that can be transferred in to most colleges and can help one get a fully accredited Excelsior College degree- www
Richard
List price of this book is $18 US. Of course, I bet Mr. Howard would recommend that you pick up a gently-used copy for a lot less! Or borrow a copy from your local public library (as I did). Regardless, I think most people will feel like Clark Howard delivers at least $18 worth of tips to save money and sources of information for common activities and interests. Not every chapter will hold value for every reader, and I admit to just skimming chapters that didn't apply to my immediate interests.

F
Lizpeveto
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I watch him on HLN and wanted to read the book. There are good suggestions for better deals and financial savings; but may be a little long and wordy for the average consumer. There were a couple of "important tips" and one was about the difference in credit cards - personal cards and business cards. Personal credit cards have limited liability for unauthorized charges, i.e. due to theft. Business cards do not - make sure you read the small print or rely on a very informed and experienced banker ...more
Amy
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was already in love with this book by page 4, so the rest of it was just icing on the cake. I don't listen to Clark Howard, but I have seen him live at DPAC. I appreciate his miserly insights on how to save money on everything from TV to travel and internet to cars. What's not to like about a self-deprecating nerd giving the scoop on how he saves money everyday. I am tempted to buy this book just as a reference book in my money-saving arsenal.
Doug
Jul 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Neat book, but nothing too amazing. I don't know what I was hoping for, but I didn't find it in this book. I picked up one or two little tricks that had a "Life-Hack" characteristic, but more often I found my self skipping through things that anyone my age would already know as commonsense.
The things I did find useful were the type of things you would read on a decent blog that could have explained the same thing in one paragraph instead of three pages.
Jack Oughton
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Advice aimed at Americans but a lot of it was relevant to me, living in the UK
Joshua Minso
This books seems very outdated. There are several good points and perhaps more depending on your circumstances. I think you would get the same information on Clarks website as well as Dave Ramsey's and other financial help sites.
rachel
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My dad loves Clark Howard. Suffers a bit from being written a few years ago, but I gotta admit, there are some parts that do hold up over time!
Christy
I'm so frugal I checked this book out at the library!

Seriously I'm a long time fan of Clark Howard. He mentions things I strongly disagree with. For example: I would never park my car in a dodgy neighborhood to avoid paying for parking at a high end hotel only to risk either a ticket or a busted windshield. That's just me.

I also wouldn't stay with people I did not know just to save money on travel to Europe.

That said this review is very close to my heart because I do love Clark Howard. Even m
Harold Cameron
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Living Large in Lean Times is Clark's ultimate guide to saving money, covering everything from cell phones to student loans, coupon websites to mortgages, invest
L. Carrington
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With the holidays only weeks away and many of us struggling in a tough economy, it’s not uncommon to have concerns about spending less, saving more, and avoid falling into pitfalls of being ripped off.

HLN television host and consumer expert Clark Howard shares our concerns and offers his expertise in his latest book, Clark Howard’s Living Large in Lean Times: 250+ Ways to Buy Smarter, Spend Smarter, and Save Money (Avery Trade, 2011). The book contains mostly common sense (cents?) advice, along
Debra Daniels-zeller
Though I like watching Clark Howard in his nerdy polo shirt handing out scam alerts and frugal tips on TV, this book was simply not as helpful or as entertaining as Howard's TV show. I found this book up at the library, and I'd hoped to find some information on finance, investing and budgeting, but I didn't find anything helpful in that section. I think the main problem with this book is too many topics are covered superficially, when it would have been a better book if he explored less topics i ...more
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this as an audiobook, which was a mistake because Clark Howard didn't read it! I'm amazed by this choice. Given that Clark is a beloved radio personality, how could anyone have thought someone other than Clark should read his book? Compounding my amazement was the choice of the narrator, who had one of these pompous narrator voices that did not fit with Clark's goofy, casual writing style that uses exclamations like "wow." Another problem is that a lot of the information/advice in ...more
Katie
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I had a really hard time appreciating the advice that Clark Howard gave in this book because I felt like the majority of it I already knew, or was irrelevant information. He did have a lot of good pointers and tips for ways of making sure your dollar gets stretched further, and ways for finding good deals - but since this book was published in 2011, I felt like a lot of the "technology" information or pointers was outdated and not really useful for helping me to "find a good deal." So many more ...more
Christa who loves the library
I was left so disappointed by this book! I listened to the full version of this audiobook hoping to learn the secret to making my household budget stretch further. The book was redundant at times. How disappointed I was that much of his advice I have already known and/or have been practicing in my own life. I am not in favor of his advice that it is okay to buy poorer quality to save money. And I am so very disappointed that he did not mention visiting your local public library as a way to borro ...more
Beth
Oct 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clark Howard does a consumer affairs type radio show in Atlanta, and has written a couple of other books on this topic. This one is very good - he provides up to date information and general tips that would help any consumer. The book starts with a section of some of his best tips, and then there are separate sections on categories such as travel, education, transportation, banking & insurance, housing, how to find the best rates for phone, cable and Internet, etc. I learned a few new ideas. ...more
Andy
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy Clark's money updates and tips on CNN, then you'll like this book. It's chock full of good hints and helpful web sites to assist your money management. I actually found some money that was owed to a couple of family members using one of the tips in the first chapter. Living Large also pointed me to the best sites to get my free credit reports and scores, and information the insurance companies keep in your profile (all free). Lots of relevant facts and data on how you can save money ...more
Jiny S
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book covers a broad range of topics. It's nice to read about different anecdotes, instead of the author's own experience and theories. Although some of the tips mentioned do not apply to me personally, I still find it interesting to hear stories about how others find very creative ways to save money (and maybe the environment too).

The author gets straight to the point. No tedious reading about why saving money is good. If you decided to pick up this book, you probably already possessed the
Geysa
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some obvious advice and some that is just impractical or not worth the risk/work involved. A few gems about websites and new technology that I did not know about (e.g., learning about Google Voice). Quick read and could be useful as a reference when making major purchases but did not change my thinking on my financial plans. Oh, and he knows nothing about extreme couponing, which is my real money saver :)
Marc
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for anyone looking to save money easily! I figured it would be a simple rehash of what he talks about on his show...and a lot of it was. But if you haven't heard his show the information in this book will open up a whole new world for you. For people already familiar with Clark, there's so much more in this book that he can't cover on the show. It was nice to see the websites for the companies that are providing methods for saving us money.
Dar
I can always find something of value in a money tips book! I even find it useful to refresh my memory about tips I used to know or practice. All of these books are inspiring to me. Of course, some tips were specific to the US. I liked the chapter called "Clark's Graveyard," which lists many of his great ideas that later flopped!
Destiny
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a long book, but very informative. Some things I knew about and others I did not. I enjoyed the scenarios and the straight talk. I took lots of notes and will be sharing the information with family and friends. I will also be utilinzing this important information. Priceless information for the frugal person.
Emily
May 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to
A certain number of things are out of date, but in many ways this book provides a good entry-level introduction to a number of cost-saving, common sense practices. If you've already spent time researching these concepts, be prepared to skim and skip a lot of the basics in pursuit of info you haven't heard before.
Carol
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Clark always has some great suggestions for saving. At the very least he makes me think about where those pennies and dollars go. This one, already a few years old may have some outdated websites and technology changes but there's always something that will help my pocketbook. Borrowed it from the library, worth a look-see!
Megan
Sep 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-finance
This had lots of useful tips on ways to save money or spend your money better. A lot of his advice was not new (I have read similar tips in several other places), but some of it was new and useful to me. He had information on health credit reports, insurance reports, and such that I am definitely going to try.
Sarah Downing
Full of good advice. I am planning on implementing some of his tips. Have checked out some of the websites he recommends and am looking forward to further investigation. It was worth it for me to buy this book.
Sunny Purdin
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Easily scannable, some of the tips I knew about, but a few were new to me. Taking off a star because he doesn't mention the library as a good place for entertainment, but I guess since he's selling books, he shouldn't.
Chris
Aug 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used this book as a reference book; picking it up and putting it down as we planned our retirement. He gives a lot of good websites and tips for getting even more information. I keep it current on my Kindle so I can pick it up and read when I get a few minutes.
  • Be Thrifty: How to Live Better with Less
  • Emotional Currency: A Woman's Guide to Building a Healthy Relationship with Money
  • The Money Saving Mom's Budget: Slash Your Spending, Pay Down Your Debt, Streamline Your Life, and Save Thousands a Year
  • Brand Failures: The Truth about the 100 Biggest Branding Mistakes of All Time
  • A Point in Time: The Search for Redemption in This Life and the Next
  • Arrest-Proof Yourself: An Ex-Cop Reveals How Easy It Is for Anyone to Get Arrested, How Even a Single Arrest Could Ruin Your Life, and What to Do If the Police Get in Your Face
  • Style on a Shoestring: Develop Your Cents of Style and Look Like a Million without Spending a Fortune
  • How to Survive Without a Salary: Learning How to Live the Conserver Lifestyle
  • The Simple Dollar: How One Man Wiped Out His Debts and Achieved the Life of His Dreams
  • All Your Worth: The Ultimate Lifetime Money Plan
  • Branded Beauty: How Marketing Changed the Way We Look
  • Debt-Free U: How I Paid for an Outstanding College Education Without Loans, Scholarships, Or Mooching Off My Parents
  • The Cheapskate Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of Americans Living Happily Below Their Means
  • Messages: The Communication Skills Book
  • Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes And How To Correct Them: Lessons From The New Science Of Behavioral Economics
  • Financial Peace: Restoring Financial Hope to You and Your Family
  • Saving for Retirement without Living Like a Pauper or Winning the Lottery
  • The Art of the Steal: How to Protect Yourself and Your Business from Fraud, America's #1 Crime
Talk radio host and consumer advocate

More about Clark Howard...
“I’d prefer that you get no refund at all. If you are getting one, it means that you’ve made an interest-free loan to the government and your money has been working for them—not you—all year long.” 0 likes