Start by marking “Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)

Cinder

(The Lunar Chronicles #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  601,719 ratings  ·  49,903 reviews
The #1 New York Times Bestselling Series!

A wicked mash-up of fairy tale and Terminator—set in a Star Wars kind of world—Marissa Meyer's Cinder is a fresh and fiercely ingenious futuristic retelling of Cinderella

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. N
Audio CD, 8 pages
Published January 3rd 2012 by Macmillan Young Listeners

To ask other readers questions about Cinder, please sign up.
Kristi I think it depends on your individual child's maturity. I just read these as a 30 something and would not recommend it for a 9 year old. The…moreI think it depends on your individual child's maturity. I just read these as a 30 something and would not recommend it for a 9 year old. The descriptions of the disease, the war themes, and the political themes would seem advanced for that age to me. I'd wait till 13 or so. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Zoe
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  601,719 ratings  ·  49,903 reviews

Steph Sinclair
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sailor Moon fans and people who love fairy tale retellings
Recommended to Steph by: A wonderful blogger-- I love you forever!
Why?

WHY DIDN'T I READ THIS BOOK SOONER?!

It was so AWESOME!

MY EMOTIONS!!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Let me go ahead and get this out of the way. I loved this book. Why in the world did I procrastinate with reading it? I've had Cinder sitting on my Kindle for a few months now and I continued to put it off over and over again. What a HUGE mistake! I even had the nerve to go into my local bookstore twice, pick Cinder up, and put it
Emily May
“I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.”

In this, my third attempt to read Cinder, I finally made it to the end. But I find myself wishing I hadn't bothered. Going into this book, I thought it was fair to expect a light, probably unremarkable, but ultimately entertaining read. I did not come to this book wanting my mind to be blown with science or to be taken to another world by beautiful prose, but I also did not expect it to be so painfully boring. Which
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
wow. wow. WOW.

I went into this book not expecting to like it. I'm not sure why, but this book completely surprised me!
Tatiana
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, ya, fairy-tales, sci-fi
As seen on The Readventurer

Let me first give credit where credit is due. A cyborg Cinderella? Wow! It's a bold premise. I applaud Marissa Meyer for thinking this up.

In this re-envisioning of the fairy tale, Lihn Cinder is a cyborg, meaning, she is almost half mechanical - she has prosthetic hands and a foot, a big chunk of her internal organs are wired into her body. Cinder is a mechanic in New Beijing, the capital of the Eastern Commonwealth, a country ravaged by plague outbreaks. One day, the heir to the throne
Miranda Reads

A Cinderella story through and through...or is it?
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”
Everyone knows this story. At this point, I have read so many versions that I have a tough time going through yet another one.

Yet, the further I read, the more I was delighted. This book was unexpectedly sweet, endearing and enjoyable.

My younger sibling had this book on a shelf for the longest time and (finally) at the nudging of one of my friends, I picked it up. Iit?through...or/>A
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I guess I'm on a year-end quest to be the last person to read popular series. Last week: Hunger Games. This week: Cinder.

Or not. I hated it. No binging this series, sorry, dear friends. You may think it's harsh that I give this book one star when there was nothing offensive about it, but considering the hype, I expected far, far more than that we were given.

Before reading the book, I knew why it came highly recommended to me; in theory, this book should have been awesome. An Asian
Kassidy
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*4.5*This was amazing!! Why didn't anyone tell me to read it sooner?! Just kidding..
The world and characters are so great, I can't wait to continue on in the series.
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Re-Read On Audio! I love the narrator =)

I'm still loving Cinder, Iko and Prince Kai. I loved one of Cinder's sisters but the other one and her stepmom. Ugggg.

Cinder being a cybor-mechanic is too cool!

There is a deadly disease going around and it kills so many people. They are trying to find a cure by doing some evilness.

Cinder gets to meet Prince Kai and sigh, I felt so happy for her.

Then there is Queen Levana from Luna. Don't even want to talk about her evilness right now. And Cinder finds out w
Zainab
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retelling, favourites
Even people living in actual caves have read it so it was about time I did too.
With that said, I probably don't have anything different to say from the rest of the people but my GOD it was good. Sure a bit predictable but it was fun reading it.
Science fiction is not my thing (except for TMR series) so I was not expecting to like it this much.
So good!
Katerina
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Once Upon a Time,there was an avid reader (let's call her K) who thought she was very clever but she couldn't be more wrong.You see,she'd heard about a futuristic version of Cinderella in which Cinder is a cyborg mechanic that everyone seemed to love but she refused to read it,because she was skeptical and a little prejudiced.One day she read the first page but when she came to the part where Cinder takes off her foot she said "Ok I tried but it's not for me,end of story
Navessa

CAN'T REVIEW.

NEED THE NEXT ONE NOW.

THIS IS ALL I'VE EVER WANTED IN A RETELLING.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest
maram ☂︎
This is my 2nd read from Marissa Meyer (after Heartless) and I can finally conform that I'd happily read any book written by her because THIS. WAS. YAS.

description

PLOT:
Cinder is a Cinderella retelling but with a sci-fi/dystopian twist as the setting is in New Beijing (post 4th World War). It is also the first book among three others in The Lunar Chronicles series. The maiclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Flannery
positives and negatives from Cinder

*I know this sounds ridiculous. The whole point of the book is to create a futuristic cyborg Cinderella, right? Meyer is a wonderful writer. Her writing is engrossing and I was engaged throughout the entire book. But it really takes a certain amount of the fun out of a story when a reader already knows a lot of where the story is going. Cyborgs are relatively novel in the YA world. Books set in Asia are relatively novel in the YA world. I still really enjoyed the book the way it was but I think
jessica
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fairy tales were not something that i was told as a child. my only experience with them was through disney films, so retellings arent usually something i gravitate towards, but this series has been recommended to me so many times, i thought ‘why not?’ and surprisingly, i wasnt disappointed.

i liked how even though i knew the general story of cinderella, this book followed a plot line that felt new and exciting to me. i thought the sci-fi perspective was a great improvement. the writing
emma
Something interesting is that this book is a sci-fi dystopian fairytale retelling imagining what the story of Cinderella would look like in a version of China hundreds of years in the future, with robots and cyborgs and moon people and hot princes and a sprinkle of magic, and yet it manages to be pretty boring.

So one of the only interesting things about this book is how boring it manages to be, in spite of the odds.

I want to shout out 2015 me for taking one for the team a
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of fairy tales, retellings, CYBORGS, and all other good things
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Let’s talk about fairy tales.

I was raised on them and I love them. My favorite collection was a hardback with Arthur Rackham illustrations . . . It was not-your-ordinary book of fairy tales. It had translations of the original German versions of the stories I’d been listening to for years, but were so not the same.

There were also new stories I’d never heard before, like The Seven Ravens.

I haven’t read it in years, but basically it’s about a girl whose evil stepmother turns her seven brothers into, yes,Reads
4.5
Jeff
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well call me surprised. Shocker of the century! I actually loved this book. I could not put it down. I was scared starting it due to what I thought would be inevitable romance but it was pretty minor in this one. But OH MAN did I wanna throw Adri to the wolves. What a terrible human. She got my blood boiling so friggin much. Also, cyborgs? Mind control? Moon people? Get outta here obviously I'm gonna like this book. All seriousness it is just well written. Cinder is a great character and you fin ...more
Evgnossia O'Hara
Now I know what the hype is all about🙈🙉🙊
I didn't expect to love this book so much. But, I'm really glad that I've got the chance to start this series.
Kai❤Cinder❤Iko❤
Anne
Cinderella with cyborgs!

description

So I'm pretty late to be jumping on the bandwagon, but this was really good! I know I normally gobble up any retelling, but when this first came out there were so many iffy reviews that I gave it a pass.
Stupid.
I should have checked it out for myself.

So you have a pretty faithfulish retelling going on here. Of course, since it's sci-fi Cinderella, there are going to be some substitutions to the carriage and glass slipper.
But they were really cool substitutions! And you could still definitely tell that this was the Cinderellfaithfulstars
Christine Riccio
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed Cinder! It's more of a 4.35 stars in my book! Not 5 because I DIDN'T HEAD OVER HEELS LOVE IT, but i'm super excited as to where this series is going, I have a full booktallk/discussion here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV9x3...
Kat Kennedy
You know when people keep talking about a book. Lah, this is fantastic! OMG, you have to read this! If you don’t read this I’ll shank you and play hackeysack with your kidneys!

The usual…

This is one of those books. I was cruelly declined on netgalley so had mostly buried it in my TBR pile and forgotten about it until people started terrorizing me with demands to read it.

Oh am I so bloody happy I did! I loved this book! I stayed up most of the night to read it! It wasn’t perfect, of course. There are several things I might
Brandi
Jan 28, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terrible
Super heavy sigh 1.5 stars is more of what I felt for this (actually as time passes I dislike this more and more).

There might be some spoiler-ish information through here, so don't read the tags if you don't want to know, but I will do my best to not spoil it outside of the tags.

I'm in the minority when it comes to the lack of adoration towards this book, and I just don't get it. There were so many things that annoyed me that I couldn't really focus on the story.

Cinder is a/>There
Arooj
April 12th, 2019:

I will NEVER get tired of reading this book.

Review after re-re-reading from Feb 27th to March 1st 2013:

Read it again for the third time! What can I say, I just love this book. So much that I want to marry it. Seriously. I love Cinder. And Iko. And Kai. And I really want to bitch slap Adri and Queen Levana. I swear, every time I read this book, they seem to get bitchier and bitchier.

I am now ready to start Scarlet! OHMAGERD I'M SO EFFIN' EXCITED XD.

Review after re-reading from Oct 3rd to 4th 2012:

Oh my stars. I didn't think it was possible, buXD.
Reviewbook.
Review
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
REVIEW TO COME TODAY

My heart : Are you ready to be broken twice by this series?
Me : SSSSSSHHHHHHH, I LOVE BEING BROKEN BY BOOKS.

I'm rereading it

I WILL REREAD THIS SERIES THIS YEAR

First Read Review :

(view spoiler) ...more
Sana
Somewhere between 3 1/2 to 4 stars. (I'll probably edit this review later)

Aside from the fact that this was really predictable and not much of a shocker (probably because I read a spoiler, but I'm pretty sure even if I didn't read the spoiler I would have guessed it), this was an enjoyable read.

Some things I liked:
~Kai and Cinder's romance. So cute I can't even. <3
~A cool-ass Cyborg girl.
~It was fast-paced for me. It was a really quick read.
~Prince Kai. He was so damn sweet and cute. ;)
~ (view spoiler) ...more
Candace
I've had this book on my radar for a long time now. With all the rave reviews and hype surrounding this book, I had psyched myself out for a spectacular read. Unfortunately, I also set myself up for disappointment. I liked the story, but definitely didn't fall in love with it like so many of my friends did.

A futuristic Cinderella story, 'Cinder' tells the story of a young cyborg mechanic. Cinder is forced to forfeit all of her earnings to her guardian, the woman that adopted her begr
Meyer S
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW WOW WOW .
I just finished this book and i can't even describe how much i enjoyed it !

First of all, The writing was incredible , I loved it !
Marissa(the author) managed to grab me into this world that she has created so smoothly , and her writing had a signifacnt part in it .
I felt like everything was well-explained and clear in my mind regarding the world and the story settings.
In addition, I think that Marissa Meyer had portrayed the characters in this book so beautifully. That they felt so/>First
Claudia Ramírez
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
WTF.

I wasn't expecting it to end like that! I mean, I thought this was a series of "stand-alone" books that intertwined with each other, so I kinda expected that Cinder and Kai would end up happily ever after in this one! When I was reaching to the end of the book I was so confused and somewhat infuriated because I really thought this book would have a happy ending and THEN in Scarlet we'll have a new cast of main characters and Cinder and Kai were going to appear a little...
Fables&Wren
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WrensReads Review:

I’m a sucker for retellings.

I am not sure why it has taken me this long to read a retelling that is so unbelievably popular, but hey, I’ve read it now and even though I am a little late to the party, I am with the hype.

This is a fairy-tale meets robots meets futuristic world. I have never read anything with that description, but if I ever see anything that has it, I won’t pre-judge based off of the fact that I absolutely love the setting in the first installment of The Lunar Chronicles.

It is a tiny bit slow in the beginn
Cinder - A Buddy Read 18 8 Oct 05, 2019 09:15PM
Favorite Couple? 34 122 Oct 04, 2019 06:42AM
Word Game! 6 8 Sep 22, 2019 05:37PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer - Restarting September 7th 2019 416 489 Sep 16, 2019 10:51AM
Share your Blogs!: Cinder 1 3 Sep 09, 2019 07:03AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Princess of the Silver Woods ( The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #3)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Starters (Starters, #1)
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Tempest (Tempest, #1)
  • What's Left of Me (The Hybrid Chronicles, #1)
  • The Scorpio Races
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
  • MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • Other Worlds
  • Speak
  • Struck (Struck, #1)
  • Goliath (Leviathan, #3)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #1)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.

The Lunar Chronicles (4 books)
  • Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.” 2964 likes
“I don't know. I don't actually remember anything from before the surgery."

His eyebrows rose, his blue eyes sucking in all the light of the room. "The cybernetic opetation?"

"No, the sex change."

The doctor's smile faltered.

"I'm joking.”