Start by marking “La balada del viejo marinero” as Want to Read:
La balada del viejo marinero

La balada del viejo marinero

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  41,494 Ratings  ·  759 Reviews
La Balada del Viejo Marinero (The Rime of the Ancient Mariner) es un poema del romanticismo del poeta inglés Samuel Taylor Coleridge, compuesto en 1799. Su título recibió numerosas traducciones al español: La canción del viejo marinero, La balada del marinero de antaño, Oda del viejo marinero, entre otras.

El poema, que narra la historia de un marinero durante un largo viaj
Published 2002 by Círculo de Lectores, S.A. (first published 1798)

To ask other readers questions about La balada del viejo marinero, please sign up.

Albert Rogers Note that the albatross is an amazing flyer, that uses the perfection of its aerodynamics to harness the faster wind high above the sea, and the…moreNote that the albatross is an amazing flyer, that uses the perfection of its aerodynamics to harness the faster wind high above the sea, and the slower near the sea, to provide itself with net energy to go anywhere. It is the ultimate oceanic bird.(less)

Bookdragon Sean
So why did the Ancient Mariner shoot the Albatross?

To me the answer is simple. He did it because he could; he did it because is he is a man, and that’s what men do: he saw something beautiful; he saw perfection in nature, and he killed it. That’s humanity for you. Sinning is easily, as quickly as a finger click: it happens just like that. There’s little thought involved. For the Mariner it is spontaneity itself; it’s in his nature to destroy. The shooting of the bird suggests that all sin is th
Cameron
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Her lips were red, her looks were free,
Her locks were yellow as gold:
Her skin was white as leprosy,
The Nightmare Life-in-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold.

When I did construction work this is what I always wrote on the inside of the Port-a-Potties, amongst all the other graffiti and anatomically imaginative drawings of women.

Florencia
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Since then, at an uncertain hour,
That agony returns;
And till my ghastly tale is told,
This heart within me burns.
(75)

Today, if a stranger would stop me at some party to talk to me about some story, I'd probably walk away with a nervous smile, holding my pepper spray with dissimulation. I admit it, I do not easily trust people. That is one of my many flaws fed by one complicated present. And, yes, not all people are bad but I am not willing to take any chances.
However, many years ago, a young ma
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Who we start out as and who we end up as has always seemed to me to be the central point of this poem. One can often return to a physical place - but in the returning find that place lost - due to the way their journey has changed their soul. Looking for salvation one often finds that (in the finding) something else must be forever lost. A close friend who suffers from PTSD has related to me that this poem is 'true' to many feelings he has had to deal with.
Manny
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
If all poetry books were like this, I would never read any prose.

____________________________________________

I was thinking about the Ancient Mariner just now, apropos Kris's review of Ice, and recalled an incident from a project I was once involved in. The person in charge failed to renew the contract of a difficult but talented software engineer, after which we had a lot of problems. This prompted the following verse:
For he had done a hellish thing
And it would work them woe
For all averred, he
Duane
Definitely in my top 10 favorite poems. I love the way it flows; the lyrical rhythm "soothes the battered soul".

Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;

Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink.

Kyle
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poetry fans, Seafaring fans.
To be honest, I bought this only because this edition is illustrated by Mervyn Peake, and I wanted to read the work to which he matched his amazing illustrations.

Little did I expect to experience such a wonderful poetry story. I am, admittedly, a bit of an unreliable poetry reader. I don't often like (let alone, love) poetry, but when I do I tend to really like it.

No doubt, someone more knowledgeable or better-*cough*-versed in poetry can probably figure out why I like the poetry/poets I do (Li
Nickolas the Kid
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poems
“Her lips were red, her looks were free,
Her locks were yellow as gold:
Her skin was as white as leprosy,
The Night-mare LIFE-IN-DEATH was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold. “

O Κόλριτζ, ως γνήσιος εκπρόσωπος του ρομαντισμού, αλλά και σαν φιλόσοφος της εποχής του μας δίνει ένα μοναδικό ποίημα το οποίο είναι μια αλληγορική αυτοβιογραφία του δημιουργού, μια σκοτεινή ιστορία τρόμου με την αισθητική της αρμονίας των αντιθέτων που τόσο χαρακτήριζε το καλλιτεχνικό κείμενο.
Ο Γέρο Ναυτικός διηγείτα
Elizabeth O'Callahan
I know 'serious' students of poetry will mock this, but I really think this is a superlative poem and will even say that I believe Coleridge to be a superior poet to Wordsworth. The ballad meter is delightful, and how can one not be won over by things like: "I fear thee, ancient mariner/ I fear thy skinny hand/ For thou art long and lank and brown/ As is the ribbed sea sand." Ew, I mean, can't you just imagine what this guy looks like?

Or how about this?

"The very deep did rot : O Christ !
That eve
David Sarkies
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Iron Maiden fans
Recommended to David by: My English Teacher
Shelves: dark
Beware the Age of Reason
14 December 2014

Whenever I come to this poem the first thing that comes to mind is the song by Iron Maiden (unfortunately I don't think they did a video clip – which would have been awesome in its own right).

Iron Maiden

I am really tempted to spend the rest of this review talking about how as a teenager I loved Iron Maiden, and about how they were unfairly persecuted by the church because they released one song called 'Number of the Beast' (with an album of the same name), where in
Dore's illustrations 2 11 Mar 02, 2016 09:48AM
The Gothic Poets ...: Open Discussion 2 11 Jun 26, 2014 08:12AM
Gothic Literature: October BOTM: The Rime of the Ancient Mariner 15 26 Oct 20, 2013 05:44AM
Poems and songs with sea theme 20 70 Jun 18, 2013 12:43PM
Will Contemplating the definition of Sci-Fi/Fantasy bring out favorite authors bigger paychecks? 1 12 Jun 16, 2012 08:03PM
Monthly Book Club: The Rime of the Ancient Mariner [June] 1 3 Jun 10, 2012 05:56PM
  • The Lady of Shalott
  • The Ballad Of Reading Gaol
  • The Song of Hiawatha
  • A Shropshire Lad
  • The Complete Sonnets and Poems
Samuel Taylor Coleridge was an English poet, critic, and philosopher who was, along with his friend William Wordsworth, one of the founders of the Romantic Movement in England and one of the Lake Poets. He is probably best known for his poems The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Kubla Khan, as well as his major prose work Biographia Literaria.
More about Samuel Taylor Coleridge...
“Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink.”
262 likes
“Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;