Start by marking “In the Midnight Rain” as Want to Read:
In the Midnight Rain

In the Midnight Rain

Alternative cover for ASIN: B003ODIYWG

Looking For The Past...

Ellie Connor is a biographer with a special talent for piecing together fragments of the past. Her latest project, though, promises to be her most challenging--and personal. Not only is she researching the life of a blues singer who disappeared mysteriously forty years ago, but Ellie is also trying to find the

Published September 19th 2011 (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about In the Midnight Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Midnight Rain

Suzie Quint
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just . . . Wow.

This book is an emotional journey. Part love story, part mystery, it touched my heart. Ellie looks at Blue Reynard and sees that he's broken. She knows she can't fix him. She knows better than to get involved with a man like him. She's done it before, and it's never ended well. She can't resist, but she doesn't kid herself that it's more than an interlude.

Blue has lost a lot in his life and he doesn't think he can survive any more loss. He meets Ellie online where they discus
Mo
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fantastic = I literally had to force myself to go to sleep while reading it as I could not put it down. First thing in the morning I had to keep reading. The relationship between Blue and Elle is very intense and I had a knot in my stomach most of the way through thinking "can they make it?" Really excellent story with strong secondary characters. Well worth 99 cents on my Kindle.
Saly
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Midnight Rain was tough to rate since it started off slow and had many characters in it.

Ellie Connor loves music especially the blues and works as biographer moving from town to town but resisting going closer to home since it means confronting her past. She was raised by her grandparents after her mother left her there and never knew who her father was. Her mother died when she was two, and since she was plain looking and illegitimate she didn't have an easy time of it. For the past year
Michelle [Helen Geek]
I really liked Blue and Ellie's story. Well written.

Okay -- I feel I have enough time to do a better job with this one. My first read by this author and will not be my last. This was recommended for me by GR based on other reads I've rated. When I looked at it, I noticed other people I follow rated it highly and hear quite a bit about how good Barbara Samuels [aka .. Ruth Wind] is, so had to give it a try.

Okay, you take East Texas and the Blues, put it into a romance and will it work? Well, this
Linda
How could you not like a hero whose first name was Blue?

Dr. Laurence 'Blue' Reynard "with a bourbon voice, smoky and gold and dangerous." He was a charmer and a ladies' man. He owned a "rat-dog" named Sasha and an elderly cat on death's door called Piwacket. He was a guy that seriously grew and studied orchids and was a lover of old music. His speech was loaded with "blurred Southern vowels".

After corresponding with him in a blues music newsgroup on the Internet, biographer Ellie Connor took up
Jackie
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Posted at ROMANCE NOVELS FOR FEMINISTS:

Questioning the Segregation of Romance: Ruth Wind's IN THE MIDNIGHT RAIN

The United States Supreme Court's landmark Brown vs. Board of Education case, declaring separate public schools for black and white students unconstitutional, was decided in 1954, more than fifty years ago. Racial integration in America's schools reached an all-time high in 1990, giving proponents of integration much to cheer about. But according
Aneca
Dec 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
I have to start this review by saying that for a long time I heard the best things about this story. I had it on my TBR pile and each time I would look at it and think: hmm is it really that good? But I never felt compelled to pick it up till a few weeks ago. Well, I was completely blown away by it, I loved it and I am now wondering why I lost all that time without reading it...

I loved Ellie and what she did. Someone that loves music so much but that being unable to play has decided to write mus
Marleen
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Every book I’ve read by Barbara Samuel so far has been simply mesmerizing and enchanting. Same here with “In The Midnight Rain”. The whole story, from start to finish, is so atmospheric, palpable, and, as a reader, you can only be absorbed by it. The story just spoke to all my senses.
In a nutshell, a biographer of blues singers, Ellie Connor, travels to a very small town called Gideon (I think in east Texas close to Louisiana border), where she will work on the biography of Mabel Beauvais, a Gi
Mary B.
Writer and music lover Ellie Connor travels to the small, close-knit town of Pine Bend in eastern Texas to conduct research and write a biography on Mabel Beauvais, a blues singer who mysteriously disappeared in 1952 just as she was about to embark upon a successful music career. But Ellie also has a hidden agenda. Armed with the knowledge that her late, flower-child mother spent a summer in Pine Bend - the summer Ellie was conceived - she also hopes her journey will reveal some clues to her own ...more
Ridley
This is a really hard book to rate. On the one hand, I really enjoyed the romance between Ellie the biographer looking for her roots and Blue the vaguely alcoholic botanist haunted by his past. I liked how well the mystery plot was woven into the romance and how unraveling Mabel's story was key to understanding who Ellie was. I also enjoyed the look at race in the South without making a morality play out of it.

On the other hand, though, it was an uneven book. The author introduces the mystery pl
Tina
Ellie Connor is a professional biographer with a yen for the blues. Her imagination has been captured by a minor blue singer from the 30s named Mabel Beauvais. A woman who was just about to make it big, when *poof* she disappears never to be heard from again. Ellie has decided to write Mable's biography and possibly ferret out the secret of her disappearance.

There are many theories about Mabel's disappearance being bandied about late at night on the various blues blogs and discussion boards tha
Swanbender2001
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book but didn't really get sucked into it until the last half as I felt the first part was too scattered for me to really bite down hard. However once I bit, I could hardly do anything else but read.
Zumbagirl
4.5 stars.
This one is hard to review - I really loved it toward the end of the book, but struggled through the beginning and middle (lots of names, hard to remember everyone at first, and I had a hard time with the timeline of how things happened/sequence of events). It seemed to be more a mystery/disappearing act than a romance. While I saw the romance happening, honestly, Blue being the uber handsome and tortured hero he was, got on my nerves a bit. I loved Ellie tho. Loved all of the secondar
Nicola Marsh
Barbara O'Neal is my favourite author, and her older books, writing as Ruth Wind, are just as lush and evocative and wonderful as her recent tales.

Blue and Ellie are beautifully flawed characters. I couldn't get enough of their romance.

And the secondary characters + mystery at the heart of the plot make for a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Loved it.
Tracy
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Really
Like the main characters and how the story entertained itself in all areas. It was unexpected for sure. Maybe a bit of a reach but that was ok with me. It made for a great story. Blue was quite an intense character and the south was a great backdrop. Will read more from this author.
Jadaloves
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable read but I have to say I enjoyed the mystery surrounding Ellie’s father and the vanished Blues singer more than the romance of the story. The book was very beautifully written and the author really captured the beauty of the country and that backwoods, small town world. More than anything, I was drawn to the mysteries and unspoken truths within this book. It seemed to me that every major character was carrying a secret, and it would take the jaws of life for someone to wren ...more
Jane Stewart
It was a good story with unexpected endings.

It was more of a mystery than a romance. I prefer to be more emotionally drawn in than this book provided. However, someone looking for more human relationships fiction and mystery might enjoy this more than I did.

Ellie traveled to Pine Bend, Texas, to do research for a book she was writing about Mabel Beauvais. Mabel was a blues singer who disappeared twenty to thirty years earlier. Ellie was also trying to discover who her father was. She knew he wa
Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)
I can't say there was anything really special about this book or it's characters, but I liked it well enough. The setting was the type that pulls you right into the pages, but not so with the characters. I liked Blue a lot (it was so cute how he always forgot to wear shoes) but Ellie was just blah and extremely selfish.

The "mystery" aspect of the story was a total surprise, which was good, though, to be honest, I didn't find the mystery itself interesting, so...it didn't wow me or anything.

The
Georgina
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
What an experience.

The lady knows how to make a reader feel every flutter, every trickle of sensual and sexual energy between the two main characters, even before they fall into bed together - Beautifully written.

These characters are damaged, afraid, desperately drawn to one another and beautifully human in their thoughts, emotions, desires and actions.

The author adds depth by introducing us to a handful of interesting, flawed but likeable secondary characters, by weaving in a mystery that is p
Sharon Michael
The general blending of romance and mystery in this book remind me to some extent of some of the Nora Roberts romance/mystery books I've liked. I am more of a mystery reader so some of the romance elements were a bit more than I'd have preferred, especially the finale of the romance. However, the writing was lush and lyrical, giving a wonderful feel of place and the mystery plot was interesting and given a number of unexpected twists along the storyline.

The characters were well done, not just th
Carmen Slaughter
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose I should give this a 5 star rating since I read it in one sitting. The only reason I can't is because some of the plot was predictable. This didn't take away from the fact that it's a solidly written story. I was drawn to the novel because of the mystery element but I quickly became engaged by the romantic aspects. The main characters are both flawed and their relationship isn't gilded with the starry-eyed emotions found in most books labelled as romance. I was especially taken by the ...more
Kim
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this 10 stars. You know, when a book is so good you live in the pages and are shell shocked when you read the last word and are plunged back into the real every day world? Yeah that good. Ellie is a biographer looking to piece together a history on a Blues singer from Gideon in the late 1930's to early 1940's who disappeared at the height of her career. She is staying at a cottage on the property of Dr. Lawrence (Blue) Reynard who she met on the internet in a Blues group disc ...more
Mιss •kαthєяίиє•  Τhε Emεrαℓd Pяίиcεss®
Ellie uses her research as a biographer to a lost, or dead, blues singer in order to find out more about her own father. What comes out of it though, is a rekindled search for the truth with surprising answers and love.

Excellent read, even if the blurb in the ack of the book made it sound more ominous than it really was.
Janet
Marvelous book -- a different perspective, for sure, on life and race relations in a small southern town. It brought up so many memories of time gone by, even though for much of the "past" in the book, I was growing up in Canada. I would love a soundtrack to In the Midnight Rain -- and it would make quite a movie.
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lendable, twix
A contemporary romance with heart, history, mystery and REAL people. Highly recommended.
AliciaJ
Wow, I actually, like, bawled my eyes out while reading this book. It got me right in the gut. Beautifully written story that I will remember for a long time.
Christina
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't normally the kind of story I like to read.
I'm not very big on mystery, but back in 2012 it was an impulse buy.
Like a lot of reviews have stated, the beginning is extremely slow.
So slow that I stopped reading it after about 20% five years ago.
About a month ago I was listening to a country song that reminded me of the title of In the Midnight Rain and it bothered me that I never did finish the book.
So I decided to give it another shot and I'm really glad that I did.
The book picks up a
Linda LaRoque
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The story leads off with a dark tone that creates tension within the reader. The tension grows into attraction between the two flawed characters. Loved the authors research and the story's outcome.
Virginia
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

This was my first time reading this author. I’m not sure how that happened but I will definitely be looking into more of her work. This book took you on a journey of love and loss and truth. The writing was on point and I imagined myself hearing the music.
Anne Bird
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! I felt a sense of strength and grounded-ness from the main characters that I haven't felt from others books. I thoroughly enjoyed the mystery that was woven into the romance and the outcome when the mystery was solved. For me this was an exceptionally good read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Night of Fire (St. Ives Family, #2)
  • Last Summer
  • Broken Wings
  • Darkling I Listen
  • This Time Forever
  • Fallen from Grace
  • A Stranger's Touch (Psychic Heat Book #1)
Barbara Samuel is a multiple RITA award-winning author with more than 38 books to her credit in a variety of genres. She has written historical and contemporary romances, a number of fantasy novellas with the likes of Susan Wiggs, Jo Beverley and Mary Jo Putney. She now writes women’s fiction about families, dogs, and food as Barbara O’Neal.

Her work has captured a plethora of awards, including six