Start by marking “Tropic Of Ruislip” as Want to Read:
Tropic Of Ruislip

Tropic Of Ruislip

TROPIC OF RUISLIP is a sage for life on a modern executive housing estate, seething with the fears, snobbereis, frustrations and lusts of well-heeled young couples trundling uneasily towards middle age.
Published December 4th 1997 by Arrow

To ask other readers questions about Tropic Of Ruislip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tropic Of Ruislip

David Proffitt
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is always a danger that when you revisit something from the past that you loved it will disappoint. Films look cheap, games are tacky, food doesn’t taste the same and books can leaving you wondering “what was I thinking..” Nevertheless I have recently bought a couple of books that I felt deserved another look, one of them this old Leslie Thomas classic from 1974.

One thing re-reading this book has made me realise is just how much of his time Leslie Thomas was. Whilst much of the humour is
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this in my teens, so I can't remember much, except that it was about funny people living humdrum lives in a rundown housing estate. I think it was fairly "naughty" for that era, so that's probably why I enjoyed it!
Karl Wiggins
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this a lifetime ago, enjoyed it then and thought I’d give it a bash again now, but I’m afraid it’s a bit dated.

The book’s entitled Tropic of Ruislip, but although the author mentions certain areas around Ruislip the characters and situations read more like Chorleywood. Ruislip is more white van man as opposed to a lovely little area of suburbia. Leslie Thomas refers to ‘flat-roofed man’ several times, but in all honesty I don’t know of any flat-roof areas in the vicinity. Perhaps I’m wron
Tony
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's OK this. Not life changing or radical. Just a well-written book with some social satire and a genuinely surprising ending.

Not much else to say really.
Wend
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-1000
This is so of the 1970's. Different times!
Karen
Jul 12, 2016 marked it as to-read
* 1000 novels everyone must read: the definitive list: Comedy

Selected by the Guardian's Review team and a panel of expert judges, this list includes only novels – no memoirs, no short stories, no long poems – from any decade and in any language. Originally published in thematic supplements – love, crime, comedy, family and self, state of the nation, science fiction and fantasy, war and travel – they appear here for the first time.
Rue Baldry
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Leslie Thomas' prose, characters and evocation of time and place are once again faultless, but in this book his plot lets him down. Unlike in the Virgin Soldier books, nothing ties together and no story really emerges from the collection of anecdotes. The ending is particularly weak. The characters really are wonderful creations, though, introduced to us beautifully, very funny, real and touching.
Steffi
Oct 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
A fairly stupid novel about a town that discovers its own sexuality. More innocent than you might expect.
Xdw
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
a little like tom sharpe, but not as good.
Roland E.
  • Before Lunch
  • Brewster's Millions
  • The Unbearable Bassington
  • Anglo-Saxon Attitudes
Born in Newport, Monmouthshire, 1931, Leslie Thomas is the son of a sailor who was lost at sea in 1943. His boyhood in an orphanage is evoked in This Time Next Week, published in 1964. At sixteen, he became a reporter, before going on to do his national service. He won worldwide acclaim with his bestselling novel The Virgin Soldiers, which has achieved international sales of over four million copi ...more