Start by marking “The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln: As Reflected in His Briefer Letters and Speeches” as Want to Read:

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  600 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
From the most eloquent of American presidents, nearly 400 astute observations on subjects ranging from women to warfare: "Bad promises are better broken than kept"; "Marriage is neither heaven nor hell; it is simply purgatory"; "Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."
Published July 1st 2011 by Literary Licensing, LLC (first published 1965)

Feb 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Received this a a present for Christmas from Beth. I'll bet she didn't think I'd actually read it cover to cover! Anyway, it has some humorous and thoughtful quotations - some I'd read before and others that were new - that shed light on what an exceptional president. I doubt we'll ever elect someone with as much humility, compassion, and forgiveness since, in our cynical world, those qualities make someone "weak". I'd take Lincoln's "weakness" any day over what characterizes most of our elected ...more
Lesley Looper
Interesting collection of things Lincoln spoke or wrote. One thing I learned is that the Thanksgiving holiday was started when Lincoln was in office.
Cory
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bought an early edition of this book- it is one of my favorite books of all time. He is the most eloquent president in the history of the US.
Taffy
Aug 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
My hubby bought this book for me when he and our Scouter boy were at Gettysburg. Love it!
I'm kinda cheating on this review because I haven't finished the book. I plan to leave it on my nightstand and randomly pick it up and enjoy Lincoln's wisdom. And wit.
He was an amazing man!

Rating: G

Page 69 test:
""OLD BUCK" PASSES THE BUCK
As the term of the fifteenth President wound down to its end, James Buchanan wrestled with the insurmountable problem of avoiding war. Many of his own cabinet members were
James
This book focuses more on the wisdom - though there's a fair amount of Lincoln's wry sense of humor, there's more that reflects his passionate hatred of slavery and his powerful sense of justice and empathy for his fellow human beings. I've always admired Abraham Lincoln, while recognizing that he was an imperfect man with some of the failings of his time and some of his own; I have always been awed by the sheer emotional strength he showed in carrying on for those four years of the Civil War be ...more
Michele
Mar 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2011
Fun to look at Lincoln as our first humorist.
36: Capital has it rights, which are as worthy of protection as any other rights.

172: It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels he is worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him.
TL
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Lovely little volume, Lincoln was a complex yet simple man at the same time... If that makes sense :)

If I could go back in time and visit one person, it'd be him

This has been re-read many times and will continue to be :) (guessing on year)
JP
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great source of inspiration and topics to reflect on.
Jane Fournier
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collector's book. I love reading about Abraham Lincoln. This is a pleasant, relaxing read covering his life and his wisdom.
Courtnee
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LINCOLN FOREVER
Emna
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“A capacity and taste for reading gives access to whatever has already been discovered by others. It is the key, or one of the keys, to the already solved problems. And not only so, it gives a relish and facility for successfully pursing the yet unsolved ones”.
-Speech to the Wisconsin State Agricultural Society,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, September 30, 1859

“..there is no reason in the world why the negro is not entitled to all the natural rights enumerated in the Declaration of Independence, the right
Marsha
Anecdotes, stories, epigrams and jokes outline the dry wit of America’s 16th President. Whether cooling off a midget adversary or inquiring about the state of a taller soldier’s feet, Mr. Lincoln’s wit rarely failed him. He knew that everybody needed a dose of humor from time to time. Why should the President be exempt?

Wry and insightful, “The Wit & Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln” is a pocketbook to treasure and something to refer to if you ever find yourself stuck in certain situations or merel
Chris
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable little book full of Lincoln's words of wisdom.

Abraham Lincoln, famous for bringing victory to the Union in the American Civil War and abolishing slavery in the United States was a very wise, witty and noble man. The book contains extracts from his speeches, letters and conversations. It is full of wit, common sense and a desire to do the right thing by countless slaves in the southern states of America (known as the Confederate states)

Highly recommended
Karen
Jun 24, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
* Top 10 Greatest Leaders of All Time

The Leader: Abraham Lincoln

Sixteenth president Abraham Lincoln led the nation through the Civil War, abolished slavery, and made a top hat a wardrobe essential. Though his leadership style remains under debate – was he an exemplary leader who brought on massive social change, or was he a tyrant who brought on massive social change – The Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln provides insight. Perhaps here you’ll find your answer.
Ricky W
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln well is basicly lincolns view on the world and thing from his eyes and just some the things he has leraned and says. while reading this book I often thought wow I can strongly realte with him or hey I say the same thing or have to the same opinion. but I thought this was a very good book filled with knowldeg I think every one should read it very insperrational
Bart Reinalda
Full of the good stuff: brilliant remarks, unmatched eloquence, great humor and compassion, and deep wisdom. Abraham Lincoln had the rare combination of profound intelligence and a gift for rhetoric which, combined, managed to capture the imagination and hearts of millions.
Ada
Nov 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm thoroughly enjoying getting to know Abraham Lincoln better by the way he approached life. The things he said to people he worked with in different situations give a real life look at his personality.
Bill
What's not to like in a collection from a master of our language and culture? The collection reflects not only Lincoln's strength of character but also his intellect. Would that our current crop of politicians had such intellect, and the humility of the self-taught individual.
Helen
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abraham Lincoln is the greatest man of our times. Everything you read about him confirms that. He was a compassionate leader and the only president that could have taken us thru the civil war without our country being divided.
Amanda
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great, short bits for when there isn't a lot of time. Get to know "Honest Abe" a little better.
Ana
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading about Abe's humor and humility.
Brenda
Nov 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a man, what a man, what a mighty big man! (No pun intended.)
His resolve saved the nation. He and Washington, and Jefferson are my historical American heroes.
Andre
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the newest and best of the books about Lincoln's wit and wisdom. It was published first published in 1996. This smaller sized edition was published in 1999.
Robert Glustrom
Good quotes but no context provided. The more you know about Lincoln the more you get out of it because you can supply your own context.
Teresa
I'm actually reading the version written by James C. Hume
Humaira
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If you take your time reading this book and Lincoln's letters and writings, you will truly see what a wonderful and intelligent man he was.
Stephen
2003 wrote: Gift from grandparents when I was about 10. Great words by a great man. Means a lot more to me now, esp read while war was looming.
Dennis
I especially liked the section of anecdotes!
Must Read - 3
Well-written - 5 (Lincoln's writing, that is)
Important - 3
Accessible - 5
Kept My Attention - 5
Theresa
looking at the history and the man
Naomi
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A fine and tidy collection, sharing some of Lincoln's greatest sayings, and also some of his greatest doubts and demons.
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count and publisher 4 14 Jun 24, 2017 12:39AM
  • Malice Toward None
  • The Library of Congress Illustrated Timeline of the Civil War
  • Lincoln's Assassins: Their Trial and Execution
  • Lincoln: A Life of Purpose and Power
  • 20,000 Quips & Quotes
  • The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder and Stupefy (The Greatest Stories Never Told)
  • Lincoln and His Admirals
  • The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill
  • Lincoln: An Illustrated Biography
  • War on the Waters: The Union and Confederate Navies, 1861-1865
  • Lincoln and Douglas: The Debates That Defined America
  • Lincoln Dreamt He Died: The Midnight Visions of Remarkable Americans from Colonial Times to Freud
  • Lincoln  President-Elect: Abraham Lincoln and the Great Secession Winter, 1860-1861
  • Hard Call: Great Decisions and the Extraordinary People Who Made Them
  • Lincoln and His Generals
  • Smithsonian Civil War: Inside the National Collection
  • Ships of Oak, Guns of Iron: The War of 1812 and the Forging of the American Navy
  • Moment of Battle: The Twenty Clashes That Changed the World
Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth President of the United States, serving from March 4, 1861 until his assassination. As an outspoken opponent of the expansion of slavery in the United States, Lincoln won the Republican Party nomination in 1860 and was elected president later that year. During his term, he helped preserve the United States by leading the defeat of the secessionist Confederate Stat ...more
More about Abraham Lincoln...
“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time.” 1 likes