Start by marking “Gargoyles” as Want to Read:
Gargoyles

Gargoyles (Resurrection Trilogy #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Brilliant pre-med student Amoreena Daniels needs money. Desperately. Her mother is dying of cancer and her medical insurance has run out. When a seemingly perfect women's clinic offers Amoreena a generous payment for service as a surrogate mother, Amoreena thinks her prayers have been answered. But then--much too early--her baby begins to move. The strange dreams, another ...more
Published July 15th 2011 by anayes.com (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Gargoyles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gargoyles

Jack
Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Amoreena needs money fast to pay her mother's medical bills when suddenly she is offered an opportunity that seems too good to be true. A thriller that touches on the ethics of genetic modification.
Amanda
Dec 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, scifi, thriller, series, indie, gmo
This book is best summed up as the scientific Rosemary’s Baby, which also means it kicks serious ass. Even people who find pregnancy to be a miracle (people who I completely do not understand) are creeped out by a pregnancy gone awry. This basic storyline then is ideal for a modern update aka switch out the demons and Satanism for science. Unfortunately the climax doesn't quite live up to the excellent idea, but the cliffhanger ending leaves the reader eagerly anticipating the next entry in the ...more
Kathi Kelley
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Medical science gone wild! Amazing story, well written with adequate character development. There is a lot of action, many twists and turns with a fair number of them unexpected. The priniciple character is extremely likable and the primary focus of this story. The premes of the story is very believable. This is a medical thriller and I hope its only fiction! My primary criticism is the author over did the clinical/medical details which often were to detailed for the non-clinical reader. Althoug ...more
Shari S
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't the genre I usually like but I decided to take a chance. I really enjoyed this book. The main character was faced with a lot of issues but you found yourself pulling for this strong woman. One of the things I really liked about this is that the whole book you knew something was amiss. You had your suspicions. You had your ideas. But the problem was never revealed until almost the end. I liked that it kept me guessing (maybe it's not that...maybe it's this, maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm r ...more
Julia Crane
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book, but I got sucked in right away. Amoreena was a wonderful character smart, beautiful, caring and strong. I was surprised at the twist this story took. The author does an amazing job of making you care about the character and their outcomes. I look forward to reading the next in this series.
Elizabeth
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent medical thriller that is pretty darn belivable. Story has a good pace to it and decent characters and lots of action. If you enjoy Robin Cook, then this book is right up your alley. Pretty good way to spend an afternoon in the sun and can not wait for the next installment.
Christa Watkins
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reading-in-2012
I've had this book cued up forever, and finally started reading it two nights ago. What a ride! Once it gets going (and it gets going pretty early) it doesn't slow down. I'll definitely be reading the sequel!
Sherri Lewis
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I had read by this author and now I am hooked! If you like Robin Cook and Michael Palmer's medical mysteries then you would love this book. Looking forward to reading his other books.
Brett Whittenberg
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed & recommend this book. I have already downloaded The next book in the trilogy - Plague. Check these out!
Teresa Kleeman
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far this is a good read. Very interesting. OMG this book was such a sci fi thriller.

Let me tell you I didn't want to put the book down.

Amoreena Daniels is a dedicated and smart pre-med student who has a 4.0 gpa in College and takes care of her mother Geneva who has Metastatic Cervical Cancer. Amoreena is an only child and her mother is a single parent.
Geneva is so bad she can't work anymore and she has let her medical insurance lapse because the company she worked for went under or was bough
Morgan
Aug 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life for Amoreena Daniels was looking good. She had just started medicl school and was considered to be in the top of her class. She might even have a chance to graduate in three years. Until all of the sudden she got the news that her mother's cancer had gotten worse and she was about to lose her health insurance due to non payment. The future seemed grim until one day out of the blue Amy got a call from the meechum's women clinic. It seems that they had been told that she might be in need of s ...more
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Amoreena Daniels is a top-of-the-class pre-med student and she’s helping her mother fight a losing battle with cancer. On top of everything else her mother lets her health insurance lapse and now she’s not covered for any of the expensive treatment for her cancer. What is a daughter to do? Well, Amoreena finds out about a surrogacy program and, after much thinking, signs a contract. Then finds out things aren’t all what they seem to be.

This book was an easy read for me. It flowed smoothly, the c
Tony-Paul Vissage
This story houses every expectant mother’s nightmare: Is there something wrong with my baby? Amy starts out not expecting to be a mother—she has her ill parent and her career to worry about first—and her initial interest in the program is only for the money, but as she gets further involved with the Women’s Clinic, she begins to wonder and worry about the creature developing inside her. Every terror and fear a pregnant woman can have is played out in her mind as she watches the abnormal growth o ...more
Heather Adkins
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's something to be said for a book that begins with action and doesn't stop until the last page has been turned. The reader gets that--and more--with Gargoyles.

Nayes has woven a tale that can just as much make your heart race as it makes you angry with an unethical world. Amoreena Daniels has a mother dying of cancer and no way to pay for it. When she's offered a solution in the way of being a surrogate mother for a medical corporation, she snatches at the opportunity. Unfortunately, there'
Katie
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book for the most part. I actually got the e-book version and it was 849 pages. The beginning I liked, I was interested, intriqued and kept reading. There were parts that I thought the main chick was just being stupid, which she shouldn't have been since she was pre-med. but I guess desperate people take desperate measures so I didn't fault her or the author. Then we passed mid point of the book, still good... then the last 1/3 of the book - it felt like an entirely different book. ...more
Keyreads
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
description

"The infant exploded in a riotous flurry of flailing arms and legs. It squealed like a pig and attempted to roll over, but a thin strap bound its chest in a supine position."

This one will make the list for the most entertaining read of the year! The suspense leading up to the moment of "the babies" was amaze balls! I found the moment really comical! I'm sure its really inappropriate, but The Syfy Channel would have a real money maker with this one. Thankfully I purchased the box set for this se
Norma Budden
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I lost a little too much sleep over the 5 days it took me to read this book - but I'd do it all over again. I embarked on a journey as never before, taking me through a series of emotions. From feeling joy and pride, to concern and sorrow and, ultimately, to fear, suspense and terror - then relief - Gargoyles encompassed me from beginning to end. I look forward to reading its sequel, Plague, when it is released. A definite must read, especially for people who like thrillers and story lines invol ...more
Kelly MacIver
This was an okay read, fast paced and exciting but some pretty unbelievable portions. Typical sci-fi adventure stuff, though. For instance, if you were kidnapped to a foreign country, drugged, half tortured and knew several people involved had died...and you had already decided you would die next...would you really go back voluntarily to the place you were held during your escape due to curiosity? Makes for exciting stuff but still.
Marc Dorval
May 31, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The premise seemed interesting, so I picked it up at the library. A good start, then the book got into a somewhat boring routine. I enjoyed the chase scene near the end, but overall felt that I had just read an OK book that's better for the plane or for the beach than as an engrossing fiction experience.
Deanna
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classmum
Move Over Robin Cook. You have strong competition for writing a medical mystery with ethical questions brought into the mix. While Mr. Nayes wasn't quite as adept as Mr. Cook with the explanation of the science behind the 'drones', the novel was very exciting. There was much action and I couldn't put the book down. I am looking forward to many more novels from this author.
Marti
Oct 31, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was an exciting read, with a little science fiction sort of twist. The main character was sympathetic--having a mother dying of cancer, with her health benefits running out. What would a person do in order to pay for the treatment that might defeat the cancer?
J. Ewbank
This is a medical/mystery/thriller. It is just o.k., nothing special for me and not the best medical mystery. However, the author seems capable fo better books in the future.

J. Robert Ewbank, author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Don
Predictable right from the very beginning.
Nik Basta
I can't say that I didn't like the book, but it seemed a little too out there for me. It did keep me interested enough to finish it, so I guess three stars is fair.
Amanda
May 31, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-ebook
This book sports an absurdly ridiculous storyline. I made it halfway through this almost nine hundred page book. The full story could have and should have been told in a lot fewer pages.
Mandy White
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping story with plenty of suspense and action. Grabbed me from page one. I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series.
Mindi
Feb 15, 2013
Danny Richardson
Jul 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Alan Nayes is the author of numerous novels and short stories. He resides in Southern California. Please visit www.anayes.com for a complete list of his novels. Thank you.

More about Alan Nayes...

Resurrection Trilogy (3 books)
  • Plague (Resurrection Trilogy, #2)
  • Resurrection (Resurrection Trilogy, #3)