Start by marking “Doctor Who: Horror of Glam Rock” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Horror of Glam Rock

Doctor Who: Horror of Glam Rock

(Eighth Doctor Adventures #1.3)

The Doctor and Lucie go glam when the TARDIS makes an unexpected landing in 1974. Slade, The Sweet and Suzi Quatro are Top of the Pops - and brother-and-sister duo The Tomorrow Twins will soon be joining them, if the starmaking Svengali Arnold Korns has his way. But will their dreams turn to dust at a service station somewhere on the M62, besieged by a pack of alien monste ...more
Audio CD
Published January 2007 by Big Finish Productions

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Rick
This was quite fun. The Doctor (Paul McGann) & Lucie Miller get into trouble in 1974 when Doctor Who meets Glam Rock - quite the mash-up. There's even a song recorded by the late Stephen Gately (formerly of Boyzone), who provides the voice for Tommy Tomorrow (don't tell DC that the name was borrowed) a Bowie-esque styled singer, and an appearance by Bernard Cribbins as his manager. So jump behind the couch or The Only Ones will gobble you up! Like I said: lot's of fun.
Emily Ross
I love the Eighth Doctor and Lucie Miller, but this audiobook was a bit of a disappointment. The acting was good, the basic plot was average, but the monsters were underdeveloped and really confusing, the characters got all jumbled up and the book in general didn’t make much sense.
TheTimeScales
RECOMMENDED

Amusing dark comedy. The 8th and Lucie are a good pairing. The Diner weaves its way into theme and eats itself. Welcome to my Nightmare 1974.
This was 3/5.

Director: Barnaby Edwards
Writer: Paul Magrs
Steven Shinder
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of classic rock, so this was a fun story. Maybe not super complex, but fun. It even includes a song called "Children of Tomorrow" by Stephen Gately. And I like the rock rendition of the Doctor Who theme song.
Jonathan Roth
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you love mystery and you love The Doctor you will want to listen to this audio book Also if you love the actor who portrays Donna's Grandfather you will want to give this 8th doctor adventure a listen
Julie
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun listen that was shared by the family. The plot is easy to follow and full of references to bands and TV shows of a bygone era. The inadvertent stop in 1974 while aiming for 2006 was classic.
Chris
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Quick and not much to it
Farnoush Mellark
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Mrs Hudson saved the day once again :D
Richard Brooks
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good. A relatively simple story, but atmospheric and the music theme is unusual and interesting.
H.K.
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Kind of amusing story but completely silly with silly aliens too.
Jesse Rice
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
It has some interesting ideas, but doesn't really live up to either horror of fang rock or the Troughton style base under siege story.
Tara
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks, dw
three stars as an episode of Doctor Who, 1 star as a tribute to glam rock. Not gay enough! Velvet Goldmine this isn't. Wilf showing up was cool, though.
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Aidan
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the things I like most about Paul Magrs' writing is that he is someone with a truly distinctive style, pulling together elements that seem like they should not work together yet when you read or hear them combined (usually) feel completely natural.

Horror of Glam Rock is a perfect case in point. This story fits the classic 'base under siege' story type that was a staple of the television show, yet combines that structure with a brother/sister pairing of young glam rock musicians, a know-it
Jamie Revell
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Let's just go ahead and admit that this has got to be one of the best titles ever for a Doctor Who story, and consider whether the story itself is any good.

In many respects, it's a fairly standard base under siege, and surprisingly normal for a Paul Magrs story. Lucie, who showed promise in her initial two-parter, is here reduced to "generic companion", although we do at least get some insight into her family here (which may be an influence of New Who, recently broadcast when this would have bee
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kept, tossed, audio
Eight Doctor is attempting to return Lucy Miller to her own time when instead they land in 1974 and lock themselves into a rest stop diner to escape evil aliens called by a glam rocker's toy instrument.

Or is it a toy? I have no real idea of what the heck the kid was playing with throughout, (other than that it made some annoying music & the Doctor had wanted one as a kid) but apparently it used different frequencies which the aliens homed in on so they could invade. Ok. I have to admit that
Amanda
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I listened to the first season and half of The Eight Doctor & Lucie Miller incredibly close together and back to back, so all of them are going to end up with the same review for the moment while I'm fixing up my forgotten rec's and clearing out my Currently Reading Folder (which shouldn't be 40+ books, it should be somewhere relatively close to right under ten).

I have loved meeting Eight, and his resigned but inspirational way of being. I love Lucy's moxy, and her mouth. Her mouth may be t
Devin Harvey
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I actually really loved this audio. I heard a lot of bad comments towards it about being "campy" and the aliens being "boring and underdeveloped" but I thought it was wonderful. It wasn't as campy as they made it out to be (or as campy as you might expect from the title) but the camp-ish parts are rather fun, and the rest is really creepy and exciting, especially helped by the "glam-rock" incidental music and background music in general. It's probably the best audio so far in the series (out of ...more
Nicholas Whyte
Horror of Glam Rock is the Funny Episode, with Bernard Cribbins as a 1970s band manager stuck in a snowstorm on the M62, when his band members start getting eaten by horrible creatures. Stephen Gateley from Boyzone appears as an Irish wannabe popstar (incidentally revealing that he is a popstar who is a wannabe actor). There are lots of reasonably good bits here which almost gel together: Lucie's aunt, the musical aliens, Una Stubbs. I wasn't quite convinced, partly because Gateley's performance ...more
Noah Soudrette
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio, doctor-who
A real disappointment this one. I like the basic plot, caught in a snowy motorway station besieged by monsters, but that's about the only thing that works other than the great acting. The aliens are incredibly underdeveloped and lame. They also don't really make any sense. If they have corporeal forms, why would they need Tommy to summon their non-corporeal forms? The whole thing just felt very weak and slapdash. My advice? Skip it.
Ritchie
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
The first Eighth Doctor audio play from Big Finish. It's a good start and I know they'll get better. Paul McGann is a great Doctor and I thoroughly enjoyed his portrayal. The usage of actual glam rock names definitely works as does Bernard Cribbins as uber manager Arnold Corns, whose name is a definite Bowie reference.
Tabitha
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it
I wasn't really happy with the plot on this one, but I really liked the Doctor's childishness and the performances. The appearance of Bernard Cribbins was enough of a redeeming quality for me. The nice part of having short audio books is that if you don't like it, you don't have long before you get to the next one.
Travis
Dec 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
The classic 'base under siege' Who story is moved to a cafe in 70's England and an odd group of assorted waitresses and travelers and trapped by a storm and stalked by some mysterious aliens.

Nicely done little story with a good tension and some nice bits of humor.
Stephen Osborne
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
The more light-hearted Doctor Who stories are tricky beasts. They can either be enjoyable (and, mostly, they are) or they can be cringe-worthy. This one was good fun, and it's always good to have Bernard Cribbins in you cast, isn't it?
Mel
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
"The savaged body of a dead glam rocker!"

I did really enjoy this one. As a fan of glam I was worried that I would hate it but it was amusing. I also loved the base under siege in an old 70s motorway services. As a kid I always found those places a little creepy.
Sara Habein
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Loses a point for a trans-related joke (though I do understand this came out almost a decade ago. Still), but otherwise this is lots of good fun. Lots of references to other DW episodes, and I can see this as a standalone episode of the TV show.
Christopher Buchanan
Lots of great cheese and faux-glam rock music juxtaposed against a creepy background. Very fun and enjoyable, just don't take it too seriously.
Jadetyger Sevea
Aug 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Fun. I always enjoy a good 'locked in somewhere while the baddies gather' story.
Steven
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Good performances, but boy howdy does the plot make no sense!
Craig Campbell
  • Doctor Who: Invaders from Mars
  • Doctor Who: The Spectre of Lanyon Moor
  • Doctor Who and the Pirates
  • Doctor Who: Spare Parts
  • Doctor Who: Hunters of Earth (Destiny of the Doctor, #1)

Eighth Doctor Adventures (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • Doctor Who: Blood of the Daleks, Part 1