Start by marking “The Everything American Government Book: From the Constitution to Present-Day Elections, All You Need to Understand Our Democratic System” as Want to Read:

If the confusion following the last presidential election is any indication, the average citizen knows precious little about the democratic system and the laws that affect their daily lives. The Everything American Government Book unravels the complexities of our democracy and provides readers with the knowledge necessary to make the right decisions and take an active role in ...more
Published June 4th 2004 by Everything (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Everything American Government Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Everything American Government Book

Staci
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brushing up on civics. This book is currently free on Kindle to Prime members.

Exactly what I needed.
Alex Timberman
Few months ago, in Time magazine, I read a frightening statistic. Most Americans can’t name the three branches of our Government. I hope that’s untrue, but this book would go a long way in helping many to understand how it all works.

There are already too many resources out there to understand American Government, but this book simplified everything in a succinct and entertaining way. I can’t ask for more. I reviewed a lot, clarified a lot of stuff I should already know, and learned a lot of new
Earl Grey Tea
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
I picked up this book to help my wife study for her citizenship test coming up next year. So far she has been able to slowly go through the first couple of chapters to learn a bit of the history and founding of the American government in the 18th century. Even though the overall amount of information is relatively light, the book goes deeper into what is required for the citizenship test.

Despite the overall depth and difficulty of the book is probably on the level of late middle scho
Luis A.
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a worthwhile introductory book. One can start without knowing anything and the book arms the reader with enough ammo to start making sense of the news. The book is of digestible length, about 250 pages long. It covers Federal, State, and Local government institutions and processes. It focuses mostly on the Federal level, but gives enough information about state and local government to equip the reader with a decent news translator when picking your local newspaper.

More detailed review
AJS
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very readable and interesting introduction. Even news junkies could probably learn a few things. There are a few subjects that are less than totally clear (like the primary nominating process), but that's probably because those subjects are so Byzantine that it would take a lifetime to master them.

Favorite thing I learned: when Lincoln told his Cabinet about the Emancipation Proclamation, they all advised against it. Lincoln didn't give a shit, and told them "that's seven nays and one aye. The
Gen Daniels
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is easy to read and covers a lot of aspects of government and history.

It is from over 10 years ago and also, seems to be from mostly a male perspective. When speaking about many roles of government only the pronoun "he" is used. While there is reference to the internet and some email, there is not a reference to social media. I also think a more rounded perspective of the Native Americans could be presented.

I think this could be a really good read if it was mode
Cameron
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Good baseline of information about the US political system. If you know nothing or very little about how the system works this is the book for you, if you want something more in depth I’d look elsewhere. All that being said, everyone should read this or at least have a basic understanding of what’s covered in this book. So that we can have more productive conversations about what is constitutional and what isn’t, as well as what the framers intended when writing the original constitution.
Christine
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read for a government book

This book was excellent in helping to understand the levels of government and their roles without being to dry. Interesting little facts can be found highlighted throughout the book giving real life examples of our elected leaders. A bit outdated as it only goes through the President George W Bush's presidency.
Brandon Baggett
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: political
This book does a good job of covering all of the important things about government. You can jump in not knowing anything and this will do a great introduction on where you need to go from there. There are a few errors that I noted (such as the original number of US Supreme Court Justices), but overall the information is solid.
Kevin
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Educational

Educational and a must read for anyone who is interested in Government! If your planing on running for office or just looking at how it works, this is the book for you!
Chris
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Educational. Relatable.

Quite an interesting read during our current political times. The book offers facts and points regarding the backbone of the US government and its political leaders. Good refresher of the US democracy from past to present.
Judy Harris
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very informative
Dave
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good civics review.
Stephen
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
DNF, couldn’t hold my attention. History has not yet my forte.
Georgia
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read--short and sweet...and should be required reading for all US citizens; especially in these unsettled political times.
Nancy
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good for what I was aiming for: A better working knowledge of our government.
DragonFrog
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice refresher on stuff that I forgot. No more boring than necessary.
Joseph
Oct 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up
I sacked this one and sold it to Powell's. It was a rather informative book but I really can't stand the format in which the information is presented. Same problem I have with Idiot's guides and the like.... guess I should stop buying these and hoping the subject matter is interesting enough that I'll overlook the presentation style.
greg gallegos
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

This is a good book to start learning about our government. It lays it out in and easy to read and understand format.
Ryan
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Helpful. Gives the basics of American politics.
Sam Motes
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good overview of the functioning of the US government.
Hillary Wilkerson
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great resource. We read it as part of our homeschool unit on American government and as an accompaniment to our study of US history (6th-7th grade).
Mark
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good overview that will help many people.
Beth
Sep 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: schoolbooks
Guess what!!! I FINISHED THIS BOOK!!!
Jim Bouchard
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Before you engage in your next political argument read this! Very accessible, easy read yet thorough.
Sonja Vanmeter
Donna
Sep 16, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Mastering Public Speaking
  • How to Fall Out of Love: How to Free Yourself of Love That Hurts--And Find the Love That Heals...
  • Crafting & Executing Strategy: The Quest for Competitive Advantage: Concepts and Cases
  • How To Draw Manga
  • Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From a Little Golden Book
  • For Freedom's Sake: The Life of Fannie Lou Hamer
  • Essentials of Business Communication
  • How to Heal a Broken Heart in 30 Days: A Day-by-Day Guide to Saying Good-bye and Getting On With Your Life
  • Words for Pictures: The Art and Business of Writing Comics and Graphic Novels
  • Etsy 101: Sell Your Crafts on Etsy, the DIY Marketplace for Handmade, Vintage and Crafting Supplies
  • Michael Moore Is a Big Fat Stupid White Man
  • How to Ruin Your Life By 30: Just Follow These 9 Easy Steps!
  • The Second Civil War: How Extreme Partisanship Has Paralyzed Washington and Polarized America
  • John Wayne: American
  • Houdini!!!: The Career of Ehrich Weiss
  • Maison Ikkoku, Volume 5 (Maison Ikkoku, #5)
  • Why Paint Cats: The Ethics of Feline Aesthetics
  • The Smart Aleck's Guide to American History
“The Founding Fathers believed that the best way to avoid oppressive and unjust rule was by making it difficult for government to act at all. They also believed that the real threat of tyranny lies with the president, not the Congress. Thus, they provided for a strong Congress with many enumerated powers, and a relatively weak president with few specific powers. Over” 1 likes
“In our system of governance, there is no higher virtue than participation and no greater vice than apathy.” 0 likes