Start by marking “A Hundred Camels in the Courtyard” as Want to Read:
A Hundred Camels in the Courtyard

A Hundred Camels in the Courtyard

These are four tales of contemporary life in a land where cannabis, rather than alcohol, customarily provides a way out of the phenomenological world. Thus, of the men in these stories, Salam uses suggestions supplied by smoking kif to rid himself of a possible enemy. He of the Assembly catches himself up in the mesh of his own kif-dream and begins to act it out in reality ...more
Published January 1st 2001 by City Lights Publishers (first published April 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about A Hundred Camels in the Courtyard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hundred Camels in the Courtyard

George K.
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 20th-century
Τον Ιανουάριο του 2011 διάβασα για πρώτη φορά βιβλίο του Πολ Μπόουλς, και συγκεκριμένα το "Καλώς να πέσει". Έχουν περάσει πάνω από οχτώ χρόνια και έτσι δεν θυμάμαι γιατί του έβαλα τρία αστεράκια: Πιθανότατα γιατί σαν αναγνώστης ήμουν άγουρος ακόμα και το βιβλίο ήταν αρκετά διαφορετικό από αυτά που συνήθιζα να διαβάζω τότε (κάποια στιγμή σίγουρα θα το ξαναδιαβάσω). Λοιπόν, το "Εκατό καμήλες στην αυλή" είναι μια μικρή συλλογή τεσσάρων ιστοριών που διαδραματίζονται στο Μαρόκο, πρωταγωνιστές των οπο ...more
Dina S
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Απλώς δεν ξέρω αν φταίει το βιβλίο ή εγώ ή η σχέση που αναπτύχθηκε ( ; ) ανάμεσα μας. Μπερδεύτηκα και δεν μπόρεσα να μπω στο κλίμα των ιστοριών. Κουράστηκα πολύ αν και είναι μικρό σε σελίδες το ανάγνωσμα. Ίσως θα έπρεπε να δώσω μια ευκαιρία σε κάτι άλλο - στο Τσάι στη Σαχάρα ίσως;- κάποια στιγμή αν και είναι εξαντλημένο.
Tosh
Sep 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A tight collection of four stories that are border-line creepy with a great side of kif. Dope smokin' with a sinister edge. Bowles is a remarkable talent and i suspect a super interesting character.
Jasmine Star
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Makes sure this is not the first Paul Bowles book you read...it is dry and completely cantered around kif, but not even in a good way...who knew weed could be so boring! Some of the stories are interesting, but half-heartedly written. It made me want to re-write it better, with more of a flair for actually story telling, not just talking while happening to tell a story.
Chaz
Jun 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: short story phans
Recommended to Chaz by: a naropa poet

This is my first reading of any of Paul Bowles work and I must say that I am both impressed and entertained. 100 camels in a courtyard is a collection of four short stories where Paul experiments with his writing. In the preface he presents eight or nine scenarios or events/quotes and from these events — selects a couple for each story and blends them into the narrative. All of these stories speak and breathe of the Moroccan landscape ——- culturally, politically and it’s topography. The central
metaphor
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paul-bowles
The eye wants to sleep, he says, but the head is no mattress.
Dylan Alford
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Donald Armfield
For some reason I had high hopes for this book. Maybe it was the title that caught my eye.

As for the content four short stories a little bit on the yawning side. The opening story "A Friend to the World" had a nice feel to it. The last "The Wind at Beni Midar" was interesting as well.

quote: "The eye wants to sleep, but the head is no matress. The earth trembles and the sky is afraid and two eyes are not brothers, and A pipe of kif before breakfast gives a man the strength of a hundred camels in
Kenneth
Outstanding for the sleek light prose, reminiscent of Hemmingway in strength. Dealing with consciousness under the influence of Hashish, the stories blur reality and fantasy in the most convincing way I've ever read.
Alex V.
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
"The eye wants to sleep but the head is no mattress."

A short sharp stoney dream, dizzying with smoke and whores and men selling the shoes they just got to acquire more smoke and whores. I kinda wanted to roll up this little book and smoke it when I finished it.
Regina
Jul 03, 2012 rated it liked it
just a re-read... I still prefer *The Sheltering Sky* though...
Jeff
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, drugs
Unlike Bowles's novels, this collection of stories doesn't feature any doomed Americans. Just a good, small, tight set of tales from another time and place.
Jeff Laughlin
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I mean, sometimes you smoke drugs and read about smoking drugs. Works out that way, sometimes.
LaMont Feske
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Very good book to read in the moment, if not for being dry and somewhat forgettable when complete.
Loraine
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bowles' writing is superb. Crisp. Evocative. Four short stories need to be read while listening to Sufi trance music . . . really.
Betsey
Jul 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
My neighbor recommended this book which is a great collection of short stories. The ending of each story is great.
Scott
Jun 10, 2008 added it
Trippy shit
Lysergius
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
Bowles is really the person you want to travel with. He has an uncanny eye for detail and a sense of atmosphere. Superb tales.
Karen
May 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i adore everything i've read by Mr.Bowles.
Jim Smith
Another great collection of short stories from Paul Bowles, a little more hashish-centric? Bowles delivers the goods!
Tim Weakley
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
My introduction to Bowles. I want more. Great ability to paint with words.
Sean Morrow

• Earth House Hold
  • The Basic Kafka
  • How I Wrote Certain of My Books
  • Her
  • Love & Sleep (The Aegypt Cycle, #2)
  • Yellow Woman and a Beauty of the Spirit
  • Letters from the Earth: Uncensored Writings
  • Bolo'Bolo
  • The House That Crack Built
  • Never Coming to a Theater Near You: A Celebration of a Certain Kind of Movie
  • Ready, Okay!
  • Peak Learning: How to Create Your Own Lifelong Education Program for Personal Enlightenment and Professional Success
  • Handmade Modern: Mid-Century Inspired Projects for Your Home
Paul Bowles grew up in New York, and attended college at the University of Virginia before traveling to Paris, where became a part of Gertrude Stein's literary and artistic circle. Following her advice, he took his first trip to Tangiers in 1931 with his friend, composer Aaron Copeland.

In 1938 he married author and playwright Jane Auer (see: Jane Bowles). He moved to Tangiers permanently in 1947,