Start by marking “Asunder (Dragon Age, #3)” as Want to Read:
Asunder (Dragon Age, #3)

Asunder (Dragon Age #3)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  3,585 Ratings  ·  271 Reviews

Return to the dark fantasy world created for the award-winning, triple platinum game, Dragon Age™: Origins in this third tie-in novel!

A mystical killer stalks the halls of the White Spire, the heart of templar power in the mighty Orlesian Empire. To prove his innocence, Rhys reluctantly embarks on a journey into the western wastelands that will not only reveal much more t
Published December 20th 2011 by Doherty, Tom Associates, LLC (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Asunder, please sign up.

Richard Lewis I'd have to say, no, the game is better than the book, but this is a different place and later time than DA:O and DA2 and in Orlais rather than…moreI'd have to say, no, the game is better than the book, but this is a different place and later time than DA:O and DA2 and in Orlais rather than Ferelden, but I still enjoyed it. As to the comic idea, there are comics featuring Alistair, Isabela, and Varric that take place after the first game.(less)

Amy
Sep 08, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: game
As a reasonably big fan of the Dragon Age series, I thought it might be prudent to read Asunder, which takes place not long after the second game, and offers some insight into what might be happening in the third game.

While I have a lot of respect for what goes into the making of video game worlds, and I think Thedas is actually a really fantastic place with a great and well-written culture and history, I think Gaider should avoid writing novels at all costs.

The book had some interesting insight
Alison
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sf
This is the first, and will probably be the only, Dragon Age tie-in novel I have read. I thought I'd give it a go because a) Gaider is an exceptionally good writer of characters (for those readers who don't play story-based video games, yes video games have characters, and plots, and stuff. And they have around 60 hours of screentime to play with to do it); and b) rumour was it had important background info to bridge the gap between Dragon Age 2 and 3.

Both were valid enough. The characters are s
Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars

Dragon Age is the series of well done high fantasy games. Every game is so well done that you have a feeling you are reading a book instead of playing it. This book is a prequel for Dragon Age III: Inquisition.

I believe people who never heard of these games would be a bit confused as to what is happening and who the characters are, because you do see most of them through the games. Wynne from the first game, your companion and a mage. Shale, a stone golem, also one of you
Mrs Giggles
I don't remember purchasing Asunder, so it is a good thing that I stumbled upon it in my pile of unread books, just when I was thinking of getting a copy. You see, the video game Dragon Age: Inquisition is coming out later in 2014, and as one of the few people who enjoyed both the games that came before it, Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2, equally, I wanted some Dragon Age meat to sink my teeth into while waiting for that game. Okay, that sounds obscene, but I am an impatient person.

As this
Mayesha
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I loved it. I just loved it. I loved most of the characters and even wanted to shake them by their shoulders sometimes for being SO stupid. And at other times, I wanted to hug- nay, KISS- them.

(view spoiler) I love the dark fantasy world he created. I love how REAL the characters are, how believable their actions and mistakes ar
Annie
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's funny how a simple change of perspective can alter your entire impression of a book. I went in on this novel preparing for the worst, having read reviews both here and elsewhere that made "Asunder" out to be lacking.

And was it really? As a standalone novel: yes. The story expands upon the events taking place between the second and third instalments of the Dragon Age games, specifically the political upheaval for the civil war that sets the stage for Dragon Age: Inquisition. And for the uni
Jenn
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Being a huge fan of the Dragon Age series of games and books, I had high hopes for Asunder, and Mr. Gaider delivered.

Although I enjoyed the first two books Mr. Gaider wrote (The Stolen Throne and The Calling), my interest was mostly due to the history and lore of Ferelden and the Grey Wardens imparted by the story. The characters and stories themselves were all right, but not the main draw.

With Asunder, that changed. I found the lore intriguing, but the real plus to this story is the characters
Wendy
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series, gaming
If you're still clinging to the hope that your Warden and Darkspawn will show up in Dragon Age: Inquisition, this book should remove that silly hope. Darkspawn did make a brief appearance (though sadly, no random ogres) and the Hero of Ferelden is mentioned a few times, but otherwise, Asunder firmly establishes the Mage/Templar War as the new focus of this age.

Taking place a year after Anders blew up the Kirkwall Chantry, things are not particularly good for mages. Not that they were good before
Gina
Jan 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to know how to rate this. I think it is tighter and smoother than the previous game novels, The Stolen Throne and The Calling, but for me it felt like there was less heart. Loghain and Maric had more sparkle and more tension than any character combination here. However, it is still a readable and entertaining tale, if you are a fan of the setting. Cole is an interesting character and his story is heartbreaking. There is some development of lore that a DA geek would appreciate, such as ...more
George Collier
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joseph
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the best of the Dragon Age tie-in novels; paradoxically(?), it's also arguably the least accessible to someone who hasn't played the games. It takes place a few years after the events of Dragon Age 2 and deals, in part, with repercussions of the events in Kirkwall. If you've played the games, you'll be happy to spend time with familiar faces and to see what I can only assume is the groundwork being laid for Dragon Age 3. If you haven't played the games, you won't have the contex ...more
Anne
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
So far the best of the tie-in books. It gives so much color to Inquisition, where we're otherwise left mostly in the dark about just how the war between mages and Templars came about (other than Boom!Kirkwall started it all). And I loved the characters -- Evangeline and Rhys are both rational people in the middle of chaos, and Cole is pure bananas. Honestly, he's got a pretty dark past and in-game Cole reads a bit *softer* to me. More cutesy crazy than kill 'em in the dark.

I wish Evangeline and
Aurora
This was an OK read. The story takes place right after the mage rebellion in Kirkwall, but is set in Val Royeaux (Orlais). It's definitely no big work of literature, although it had some interesting plot points (the reversion of Tranquility, some new lore about demons and spirits, Wynne's past, etc.). Unfortunately, the main characters lack any serious characterization and reminded me of characters I met in DA:O and DA:II.
Tom
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always imagine these type of stories to be like coloring books for an author. They've got this very established world to work in with certain larger events going on in it, and their job is just to tell this very specific story with specific people in a specific place (was I too specific there). So they have to stay within the lines as they write. The result is a pretty nice picture but one that is kind of unsatisfying. At least it was well told.
Five
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knowing his history does not make me love Cole any less. He is still fantastically precious to me!!
Tina
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I'd have liked this more if I'd read it before playing Dragon Age: Inquisition, but as it was, I was mostly bored. The best part of the book is Shale, other than that I mostly learned to dislike Cole in a completely new way.
Kelly
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Dragon Age: Asunder’ by Bioware’s lead writer, David Gaider, is third in a series of fiction set in the same world as the ‘Dragon Age’ video games. Set a year after the conclusion of ‘Dragon Age II’, ‘Asunder’ explores the repercussions of the cataclysmic end to that game. Instead of Kirkwall, however, the setting is Val Royeaux, home of the Chantry and the Divine and the White Spire, which houses the Orlesian Circle of Magi.

For the uninitiated, mages in Thedas are collected as soon as their p
Illise Montoya
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, dragon age fans
Shelves: fantasy
David Gaider is the lead writer for the fantasy game franchise, Dragon Age. Up until Asunder I had been unaware that there were any books published for the game series, but as I understand it, none of the other novels were as directly important to the main storyline as this one. Not only does it feature several characters from the first game, Dragon Age: Origins, it sets up the events of the latest installment in the franchise, Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Since Asunder was written by Gaider, the nov
Jeremy
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me begin with a statement that has no context, and likely no meaning to someone who hasn't either read the books or played the game: "Lambert van Reeves is a bag full of dicks."

That having been said, I have mixed feelings about "Asunder," but those mixed feelings are themselves a product of the depth into which the story pulls you in. I'm always waffling on how to best to rate a book that annoys me not because it is badly written, but rather because the characters in it and their boneheaded
Natalie
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It feels like the writers were told "write a book that links with the game" and the writers were like "that's great, there's so much stuff I wanted in the game but couldn't include" and they created these amazing fleshed out plots with incredible, unique characters, but then whoever was in charge was like "but you have to do it in less than 400 pages"
This is because in all three of the books I've read (all just over 400 pages) have been amazing but then suddenly you're 50 pages from the end and
Nichole  *BOOKWYRM BABE*
Some books that are based on games are really crappy, this is not one of them. It is well written and the characters have depth. The whole 'verse that is Dragon Age is pretty awesome, and being a lover of the game I was very worried that this book would not live up to my expectations. I can't believe I waited so long to read this. It gave me feels. Like picking up heavy metal chairs and throwing them kind of feels. So many feels. It was frustrating but beyond worth it. It was so easy to get lost ...more
Susanne
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're thinking about playing Dragon Age 3, you should probably read this book. Actually, you should play Dragon Age 2 first. Then read this book.

In fact, if you haven't played Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age: Awakening, and Dragon Age 2 then you really need to stop what you're doing and go play them.

Yes. Now.

I'll wait.

Of course I'm serious. You'll enjoy the books ever so much more if you've played the games. And the games are practically in a class of their own. Try 'em.
Richard Lewis
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of the Dragon Age game franchise and want more story of the world of Thedas, by all means give it a look. It doesn't really matter if you've read The Stolen Throne and/or The Calling, Gaider's other DA books, to read this one, as those take place before Dragon Age: Origins and this one takes place after Dragon Age 2. In spite of that, playing Dragon Age Origins, it's expansion Awakenings, and Dragon Age 2 will give you a lot better background to understand the world in which Asun ...more
Jaylee
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
I re-read this book because I was in the middle of writing a Cole-centric fanfic and wanted to make sure I was getting everything right. I loved seeing more of Cole, and getting to see Wynne and Shale again. This is probably my favorite of the Dragon Age novels I've read. It doesn't have that heavy "awkward dnd campaign" feel to it like the first two novels have. Still haven't finished the Masked Empire, yet, though, so we'll see. n_n
Jenifer
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Okay, okay, I know that this is a novel based on a video game, but damn was it good! I love the character development, (which the games are also well known for) and the pacing was amazing! It was a four hundred page book that felt like a whirlwind! I thought I was done with the whole Mage versus Templar conflict, but Gaider has definitely rekindled the fire.
Jenny McD.
Not as good as the first but much better than the second.

The story has Wynn from DA1 in tow plus a few cameos from other favorite characters. But we also have a new person to join in on the adventure. Wynn's son who is also a mage.

Any diehard DA fan will enjoy this book but I would be hard pressed to recommend it to someone who knows nothing of the series.

Clair
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
ngl i read this for cole who is a precious cinnamon roll in the game

(BUT HE'S A SERIAL KILLER)

(I KNOW)

Mary
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh god, Dragon Age 3 is going to be very exciting. Hope we get to see a few of the new characters, like Rhys and Evangeline, again.
Andrés
Time to write another review.

Welcome to Asunder, and a world that has received the news of what transpired in Kirkwall and is, understandably, none too happy about it. As you may recall, in Dragon Age 2, our lovable psychopathic companion known as Anders decided it might be a good idea to stuff some TNT in the Chantry because "fireworks are cool." The templars, however, didn't get the joke and decided to put everyone through the blade.

If I'd had my way, the Qunari would be ruling Kirkwall now.

An
Carien
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Yes: I got my trotters on another Dragon Age novel.

And this is a very enjoyable read especially for fans of the Dragon Age games.

Not only are there a couple of characters from the game in this book, it also delves into the reasons the mages rebelled. A rebellion that leads to the events in Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Gaider's writing is much better than it was in The Calling and the story feels less like a written rpg as well. There are still some scenes that do remind you of typical gameplay scenar
2015 Reading Chal...: Dragon Age: Asunder by David Gaider 1 6 Dec 07, 2015 11:44AM
Goodreads Librari...: Delete/combine editions request 2 14 Jan 29, 2014 05:27AM
  • The Masked Empire (Dragon Age, #4)
  • Last Flight (Dragon Age, #5)
  • Dragon Age: The World of Thedas Volume 2
  • Mass Effect: Retribution (Mass Effect, #3)
  • Fable: the Balverine Order
  • Mass Effect: Redemption
  • Lord of Souls (The Elder Scrolls, #2)
  • Borderlands: The Fallen
  • Mass Effect: Evolution
  • The Silver Tide (The Copper Cat, #3)
  • The Art of the Mass Effect Universe
  • The Art of Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • Twilight (StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga, #3)
  • Dragon Age, Volume 1
  • Coalition's End (Gears of War, #4)
  • Diablo: Demonsbane (Diablo, #0)
  • Deus Ex: Icarus Effect
David Gaider lives in Edmonton, Alberta, and has worked for video game developer BioWare since 1999. He is the lead writer on the upcoming Dragon Age: Origins role-playing game and has previously worked on such titles as Baldur’s Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Neverwinter Nights.
More about David Gaider...

Dragon Age (5 books)
  • The Stolen Throne (Dragon Age, #1)
  • The Calling (Dragon Age, #2)
  • The Masked Empire (Dragon Age, #4)
  • Last Flight (Dragon Age, #5)
“Being Tranquil didn't sound so bad to him. He'd been terrified of being swallowed up by the darkness for so long it seemed like it would be a relief to get it over with. You were only scared of becoming nothing until you were nothing.

Just like dying”
8 likes
“Shale’s answers were, for the most part, sarcastic. When asked what kind of rock it consisted of, Shale answered “petrified nug droppings.” When asked how it was created, Shale responded with a long explanation of mother golems and father golems which Pharamond believed for five whole minutes. When asked how it could see through those points of lights in its eye sockets, Shale commented that it actually preferred tearing the eyeballs out of flesh creatures and using them instead—elven ones in particular.” 2 likes