Start by marking “Chocolate Covered Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #18)” as Want to Read:
Chocolate Covered Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #18)

Chocolate Covered Murder (Lucy Stone #18)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  1,404 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
"Lucy Stone, mother of three, works as a reporter on her local paper in the small town of Tinker's Cove, Maine. She's asked to write an article about a new local business, Chanticleer's Chocolates. But, as is so often the case with Lucy, it turns out not to be your usual run-of-the mill assignment . . .

A local fisherman drowns suspiciously and then Chanticleer's sultry st
Published January 1st 2012 by Kensington (first published December 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Chocolate Covered Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chocolate Covered Murder

Hannah
Bleh. Just not my thing. Abandoned on page 103.

I spent two hours trying to get through this, so I'm going to go ahead and count it read...after all, I got further than the novella length.

Lucy is a part-time reporter. She's more concerned with her body image than spending time with her husband, though she says she has a happy marriage. Her primary method of getting clues is through her job at the paper. She doesn't like her boss and is continually making snide comments about her coworkers. She l
Bekah
Mar 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
I'm pretty sure you need to be a member of the Red Hat Society to enjoy this.
Janet Robel
Cute cozy mystery set in Tinker's Cove. I enjoy reading about Lucy Stone and watching her kids grow up as the series progresses. Lucy is always in the middle of a murder investigation while trying to live her life in a small town where everyone knows each other.
M.L.D.
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I picked this up mostly because I wanted to read a Valentines Day themed mystery, so, perhaps unsurprisingly, was disappointed. Not much mystery here: the culprit is obvious, as is the motive. I was actually surprised that the motive was relatively mundane. It would have been so much cooler if (view spoiler)

And, also, if your wife should
Pat
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's frigid in snow-covered Tinker's Cove, and Lucy is fighting the winter blues--and her widening waistline. No one in their right mind would vacation in Maine this time of year, but to boost the economy, the town is launching a travel promotion for Valentine's Day. As a reporter for the Pennysaver, Lucy is assigned a puff piece on upscale Chanticleer's Chocolates, and its deliciously handsome owner, Trey Meacham. But when a local fisherman drowns suspiciously, Lucy's certain her investigative ...more
Alannah Davis
Apr 09, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Flabby to nonexistent characterization. Inconsistent storyline. Boatloads of comma splices that wouldn't make it past my high school English teacher. Hell, they didn't even make it past ME. Is the economy really so bad that Kensington Publishing can't spring for a proofreader? This book reads like a first draft.

The mystery itself could have been interesting, but it was surrounded by characters I didn't care about and an unlikable sleuth. In the first half of the book, mom/reporter of newspaper p
Rebecca
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Lucy Stone is a part-time reporter in the small town of Tinker's Cove, Maine (and apparently has been for 17 other books before this one). In the chill of a Maine winter (which, from reading about Hannah Swenson in the mystery series set in Minnesota, where everyone has to plug in their cars so the batteries don't freeze, is actually relatively balmy), a local man drowns while ice-fishing, and Lucy suspects a murder. She doesn't do much investigation, however, until the second murder at the new ...more
Kim j
Nov 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: meier
I will be glad when I am finished with the next book in this series NOT because I enjoyed them. That's what I get for buying cheap books. Lucy did not do any investigating and it was all the same complaints about kids, being fat, traditional husband, and friends that never change. It's like being in a time warp of the dominant husband in a little town and the barefoot pregnant women who have no say. I do not think this is uplifting for women and perhaps a downgrade from where we have come and wh ...more
Nancy
Oct 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Sometimes I find a gem when I pick up an audio book by an author unfamiliar to me. Unfortunately, this was not one of those times. Meandering story lines, undeveloped characters, scenes so ridiculous that I laughed out loud. I finished listening to this book only because it helped to pass the time during my road trip and my thoughts could wander without missing anything of substance.
Linda
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge, bingo
Another good Lucy Stone mystery, this one centering around Valentine's Day and chocolate. I enjoy that Lucy is very real and these books deal with current issues and problems. The mystery was done very well.
kathy
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
a sweet (literally) cozy mystery. i love this series & have been reading them from the beginning. my kids were older than the main character's children, but fun to relate as a parent with kids when i started!!
Gennielc
Mar 06, 2016 added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
i like silly cozy mysteries, but too much talk about her weight and her obsession with the woman who flaunts her breasts as a "bad influence" for her daughters. and can't find anything redeeming about the book or story line, so I'm putting it away. bah!
good reader though
Jeannine Stewart
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it
OK Maine cozy. I enjoyed the characters and the setting but the plot seemed to drag along until the last quarter of the book by which time I already figured out most of the mystery.
Myia Antoinette
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was a decent read with a gangsta element to it! lol. While entertaining, I don't feel the need to read books 1-17.
Kim
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
This got two stars because a lot of the plot points didn't work well together. For instance, there is a side plot with an older couple, which was put to get wayside until the very end, but then seemed unresolved. I think it fit the overall theme, but it added little to the plot and did nothing to develop the murder mystery aspect. There's also a drug abuse side plot, which does tie into the murder but I think it could have been hinted at more, perhaps cutting the couple in favor of one of Lucy's ...more
Jane Night
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This was the first book I read in the series. I probably wouldn’t intentionally read another.

The small town of Tinker Cove was a nice setting. It reminded me quite a bit of Cabot Cove from the Murder She Wrote series of books/movies.

The mystery was so-so. It was fairly predictable and mundane. Still, many cozy mysteries are only “meh” in the mystery department. If the characters are awesome I can let a predictable mystery slide.

Unfortunately, Lucy wasn’t for me.

I don’t know of a nice way to say
Jess McDonald
A delicious tale of two murders, an assortment of sweet characters, and tons of unique chocolate highlight this cozy who-dun-it centered around Valentine's Day.

Lucy, who's tired of writing snoozing articles in the community section of the local Pennysaver, dreams of something bigger...A story that will uplift her career. She gets more than she can bargain for when a local ends up dead and shortly after, the town's home-wrecker is found naked and covered in chocolate, she sets out to prove that t
Barb
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a reporter for the Pennysaver, Lucy is assigned a puff piece on upscale Chanticleer's Chocolates. But when a local fisherman drowns suspiciously, Lucy's certain her investigative skills could be put to better use. Everyone is shocked when Fern's Famous Fudge loses its status as 'Best Candy on the Coast' to Chanticleer's pricey newfangled confections. And Lucy soon discovers sultry store manager Tamzin Graves is only too eager to serve her male clientele. Leaving a throng of jealous women in h ...more
April
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audiobook
Lucy is a reporter in small town Maine. It is nearing Valentine's Day and the winter cold is getting towns people down, but there is a new chocolate shop in town that is selling more than chocolate. First Max ends up dead in the ice. Tamsin works in the chocolate shop and flirts and goes after nearly every man in town.Then Tamsin in found in the chocolate shop covered in chocolate. Was the killer a jealous spouse or is there something more going on?
The story was a bit convoluted. Lucy had many c
Terri Gilbert
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
An easy-reading mystery. Lucy Stone, the protagonist, is a mother and newspaper reporter for a very small paper in a very small Maine town. It's always fun to read about other places and other climates. Maine winters are brutal along the coast. Characters are true to life, plot is typical exaggerated circumstances. An enjoyable read. Would be happy to read another featuring this character.
Sally Hannoush
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
OMG $5.00 PC chocolate! And that's not even the half of it. Two murdered victims decorated in death. You just don't know what people do in their private lives or things that are uncovered from ones past. Story made me crave fudge- if it wasn't so late I would go buy some.
Pauline
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book had more than a few very awkward chapters. It had too many parts that did not relate to anything and some of them were silly.
Alaina
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I want to read more by this author
Pelican Rapids
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cpb
I didn't listen to this AUCD, because I heard it (and many others by this author) when I lived in a previous town
Sara
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the Lucy Stone books. She is such a normal, likeable character. The mystery plot was interesting in this book! Fun story!
Erica Dauer
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Easy to read. Pleasant characters. I figured out who the killer was just past the midpoint.
Mary
Mar 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Endless babbling about the minutiae of life. Isn't there supposed to be a mystery in here somewhere?
Cheri
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
slow starter but picked up the last quarter
Melissa
Book #23 read in 2017

Not my favorite in the series, but good.
Brittany L.
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first encountered this book it was an audio book, I definitely prefer eBooks or physical books because I thought I was not going to be a fan of the book, and I was.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Chocolate Covered Murder - 10th June Book 1 2 Jun 17, 2013 12:18PM
Goodreads Librari...: narrator not GR author 5 33 Sep 07, 2012 12:33AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Chocolate Covered Murder 1 5 Apr 18, 2012 10:12AM
  • Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Clam Wake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #29)
  • Gingerbread Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13.5)
  • Agony of the Leaves (A Tea Shop Mystery, #13)
  • Murder of a Creped Suzette (A Scumble River Mystery, #14)
  • The Fortieth Birthday Body (Susan Henshaw, #2)
  • Buried in Buttercream (Savannah Reid Mystery, #17)
  • Merry Market Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #5)
  • The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery, #8)
  • Rest In Pizza (Pizza Lovers, #4)
  • Red Velvet Revenge (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #4)
  • The Gingerbread Bump-Off (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #6)
  • A Cookie Before Dying (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Strangled by Silk (A Poppy Cove Mystery, #1)
  • Antiques Knock-Off (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #5)
Leslie Meier lives in Harwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. She is the creator of 'Lucy Stone', a reporter and amateur sleuth in New England.

More about Leslie Meier...

Lucy Stone (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #5)
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Wedding Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #8)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)