Start by marking “Rulebreaker” as Want to Read:
Rulebreaker

Rulebreaker

Liv Braxton's Felon Rule #1: Don't get emotionally involved.

Smash-and-grab thieving doesn't lend itself to getting chummy with the victims, and Liv hasn't met anyone on the mining colony of Nevarro worth knowing, anyway. So it's easy to follow her Rules.

Until her ex, Tonio, shows up with an invitation to join him on the job of a lifetime.

Until Zia Talbot, the woman she'

Published (first published August 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Rulebreaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rulebreaker

Start your review of Rulebreaker
Tara
This book is pure fun and at a ridiculously reasonable price. I read a review copy, but it's priced so low that it's worth picking up immediately.

The main relationship doesn't get going for quite a while, so if you're looking for the whole sci fi romance thing, just keep going because it gets there. And while I love a good romance, and this book has that, it's the whole sci fi action thing that I love the most, with twists that surprised me.

Full review here: http://www.thelesbianreview.com/rul
Skye Kilaen
Extremely slow burn F/F romance crossed with a data heist on a mining planet in the future. I was quite pleased with this! Liv Braxton, career con woman, infiltrates a corrupt mega-corporation to steal proof that they're violating the law, so her crew can blackmail the company. Part of the job may be cozying up to powerful exec Zia Talbot in a sexytimes way. While Liv has always thought she was straight, the more time she spends with Zia, the less of a barrier that seems to using seduction as a ...more
Rain
If I got caught I’d end up in prison or a correctional mine, and there was no way I’d let that happen. My mother raised a felon, not a fool.
I have to say that before I read this book, I had no idea it was a science fiction, so that was a nice surprise, haha. And well, the protagonist and narrator is Olivia, or Liv, a con artist and a thief, whose latest job is frustrated and finds her on the floor of a bank while said bank is being robbed by another group of criminals (don't you just
Tiff
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Futuristic crime! Okay I can dig that especially if I can grab that book for less than $2.00. Let it be known that this book is a gem at this price point. You literally cannot find one that is better.

Liv Braxton is straight up a thief. Oh no, she is not going to steal your purse or wallet, that’s small time. She is going to rob your bank! This bad girl is unapologetically ruthless. She takes what she needs and the bigger the payoff the better. So when offered to score mega bucks on a corporate h
Rea Nicole ✰
Olivia "Liv" Braxton lives a modest life on the planet Nevarro by committing petty robbery and other not-so-legal ventures. Calm, cool, and controlled Liv follows a specific set of rules:

Felon's Rule Number One: Don't get emotionally involved.
Felon's Rule Number Two: Don't bite off more than you were prepared to chew. Or get arrested for.
Felon's Rule Number Three: Be reliable, and have confidence in your crew mates.
Felon's Rule Number Four: Make sure any associates weren't going to screw
Jem
Lesfic sci-fi romances are pretty hard to come by. Discovering two books in a row (the other one is Deep Deception) is a real treat. Being only $1.99, i half expected this to be a mindless, faux sci-fi erotica--especially with a protagonist named 'Zia'. Turns out this is a pretty intelligent sci-fi thriller. In fact, the romance doesn't pick up until halfway into the book.

The plot is fairly elaborate. The worldbuilding is detailed enough to be believable. There is a lot of chemistry and sexual
Alison
I'm giving up on this one halfway, unfortunately. After several months of trying, it is not holding my interest. The opening scene is exciting and clever (two rival gangs are holding up a bank at the same time, oh no!), but after that it's very slow going. I stopped at the halfway point because I'm finding it a bit dull, which is not the feeling one is looking for when reading a futuristic crime thriller romance. The love interest so far has had pretty much no page time, so this is not one to re ...more
M
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: l-books, sci-fi, thrillers
Where to start with this one.

Location and characters were excellent, setting had an authentic future grime feel very much in the tone of a lot of recent sci-fi.

Where in failed to rise above the okay category for me was that the plot was decidedly flat for me and an obvious crime plot line. The baddies were 1 dimensional and a payoff could be seen from a very long way off.

Kudos to the author for writing a gender queer sci-fi book, but the romance between the characters didn't work for me.
Anna
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-sf, romance, wlw
Very light, but very enjoyable. Just barely sci-fi, in the sense that the setting had few overt SF elements - it was set on another planet and there were pulse guns. The characters were charming, though, and it was so refreshing that Liv's past relationship with Tonio wasn't diminished or disparaged to highlight her new one with Zia. Hooray for the opposite of bi-erasure!
Cleo
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it
I didn’t care for the writing style but I liked the main couple quite a bit in this FF SFR bi romance. A low level con artist / thief gets in way over her head when her ex recruits her for a dangerous data theft job and she ends up falling for her mark.

I didn’t really buy the plot and I thought the world building was a little weak but I really liked watching two flawed women fall for each other and figure out what they were willing to risk for each other.
Taryn
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance, sff, lgbtq
A romantic suspense thriller in space! Liv is a career criminal who gets roped into a high-stakes con with her ex-husband. Her job is to seduce a corporate bigwig in order to uncover the company’s nefarious deeds. Her target is Zia, a gorgeous and confident woman who pushes all Liv’s buttons, in a good way. Liv has to get close to Zia to do the job, but her heart may not have gotten the memo that it’s all a con.
Josephine (biblioseph)
Liv Braxton is one of the better criminals in the star system. This is mostly due to the set of rules she's been following since age four. Felon's Rule #1: don't get involved. In her newest and perhaps most daring hit yet, it's also going to be the hardest.

Alias Olivia Baines is pulled into a stunning multi-stage hit by her ex-husband, Tonio, who's still got it going on, she's painfully reminded. Blind-sided by her mother's surprise re-appearance in her life, she'll be helping the bad guys stick
Justina Johnson
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: f-f, sci-fi
I love a book with a smartass, quick on her feet, professional thief as the leading gal! Put this in the future and on another planet and I am in reader heaven. Additionally, the underlining science and science fiction that threads through this big payoff gig were extra plusses from my standpoint. Having the supporting female character be a knockout, takes-no-prisoners corporate VP only heightened the enjoyment and the intrigue.

Liv Braxton has a whole list of Rules that if followed make her felo
Megan
Entertaining and a pleasure to read. I was sold on it by a post in Olivia Waite's Intersectional Feminism in Romance series, particularly this line from the review:
"At this point, I had no idea where the text would go. My sense of the narrative direction had been twisted too many times — I was being conned, and I was delighted. Everything depended on the characters' choices at this point: there was no one story shape (reunion story, Presents romance, redemption arc) that was controlling the narr
Robert Appleton
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this SFR espionage novel. The worldbuilding is very good, the main characters are vivid and vivacious. The build-up was a *little* slow for me--mainly because I didn't much care for the mother--but once Liv (our gutsy heroine and narrator) starts her new undercover job as PA to corporate hotshot Zia, the tension, both dramatic and sexual, really begins to crackle. It never lets up.

This is the sort of story that doesn't really need a villain as such. They are there, but the
Malin
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a book with good technique (especially the 1st person POV) and with descriptions that paint images before one's eyes. It has some astounding scenes, including the first one, and a good number of characters that all have individual personalities. The plot is interesting and the characters diverse. However the story's latter 30% has very obvious plot turns and sometimes I wonder about the characters' change of personality, although that can be explained by the main character's view of her ...more
Julie-anne
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I read these in the wrong order - I read books 2 & 3 first because I didn't know about this one. Since I liked 2 & 3, I decided to get the first one - this basically means I already knew some of the characters and I could have potentially spoilered myself if I was any good with remembering names.

I really liked Liv and Zia and the heat between them was palpable and believable. I enjoy this series and will keep reading it.
Romana
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Great setting and plot. Nice resolution. Sweet romance.

I think Talbot was very underdeveloped. This read more like I expect a stereotypical straight romance from that perspective: everything from the heroine's point of view only, we never get inside the head of the Fabio replacement.
Alyssa
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book! It kept me on the edge of my seat--I even caught myself holding my breath through a couple of passages. Loved the relationship between Liv and Tonio, and then Liv and Zia. Lots of tension, great chemistry. Definitely a book worth picking up.
Becky
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it
The caper part of the story was interesting, but it wasn't much of a romance. The ending was way too sappy.
Dannica Zulestin
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I decided last month to obtain some nice f/f romances and see what I thought, since I've been trying writing in the genre. This is probably the first f/f romance I've read that I've really liked so far.

Plot
Liv, a professional criminal, gets over her head with a group of gangsters that send her undercover in a company to find files that can be used for extortion on a massive scale. Part of the job is getting close to Zia Talbot, her sexy boss. Which goes really, really well, except Liv can't just
Jessica
Sep 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sf, lgbt, romance
Elizabeth
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so fun. It was also 600 pages but I flew through it because the pacing, the plot and the characters were all good. This is a futuristic story about a con woman who was raised by a con woman and she takes on a con with a much more cut-throat team than she normally works on but the possible rewards are incredibly high.
Sheila
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved loved loved the end, but could have used a little less build-up and more (super freaking hot) sex. So, like, 3.5 stars, and I am already looking to see what else Pegau has written.
Cindywho
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to read something light - but it was a little too light. Science Fiction as backdrop without any world building is boring. Otherwise it was an OK heist/romance story.
Jenny
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, romance, queer
This book moved slowly. The main characters were interesting, and I will read more by the author, but it isn't a style that I want to devour everything at once.
Clodagh
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This had a great combination of plot, worldbuilding, and sexiness, although the last few pages were a bit sappy.

One more book until I meet my 2019 reading goal!
Michael Hawkes
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Olivia has a bunch of rules she lives by, as she finds they help in her line of (often illegal) work. Felon’s Rule Number One is “Don’t get emotionally involved.” When she is recruited by her ex-husband to do a bit of corporate espionage, she comes close to breaking this rule. However, she finds that while she still has feelings for Tonio, they both maintain a professional distance for the sake of the job. Olivia’s part in the plot is to become an executive assistant for R.J. Talbot, a VP with a ...more
Azhureheart
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-ff
For a book sold by Carina Press, it's not much of a romance novel.

Rulebreaker is futuristic-ish (I can't really say it's sci-fi since it's so light in sci-fi it could be about an oil company or something in the twenty-first century on good old Earth) book about a thief called Olivia who is running out of money and option. Then her ex-husband proposes her the big score every criminal dreams about. She must infiltrate one of the top companies of the planet, seduce the VP of R&D and get enough inf

• The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • Alone
  • To the Moon and Back
  • Requiem for Immortals
  • The Brutal Truth
  • Who'd Have Thought
  • Selkies are a Girl's Best Friend (Mystic Bayou, #3)
  • Love and Other Wild Things (Mystic Bayou, #2)
  • The Enforcer Enigma (San Andreas Shifters, #3)
  • Always Be My Banshee (Mystic Bayou, #4)
  • Snow Falls
  • Before You Say I Do
  • Crudrat
  • Nerve
  • Ain't She a Peach (Southern Eclectic, #2)
  • The Undocumented Americans
  • Peachy Flippin' Keen (Southern Eclectic, #1.5)
  • Save a Truck, Ride a Redneck (Southern Eclectic, #0.5)

News & Interviews