Start by marking “Night Sky” as Want to Read:
Night Sky

Clare Francis

Night Sky

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  339 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews

Nan, a widow whose family has flown the nest, is an independent free-spirited woman who couldn't care less what people think about her living alone in her beloved house. But when she discovers the money is running out she decides to rent out rooms for the summer.

People start moving into the house, filling it with noise, laughter and tears. Among them is Daniel, a recently

Audio, 0 pages
Published April 28th 2003 by Ulverscroft Large Print Books, Ltd. (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Night Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Sky

Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite book of all time. The mix of romance, suspence, and mystery creates a story that I will forever go back to again and again.
Mike Outten
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant writer. Excellent story-teller. Lots of research led to a believable plot. This book was an absolute great stroy. I wish all novels were this well put together. Character development was fantastic. Prose was outstanding. a suspense-thriller to the end.
Kimberly Lynne
I listened to the audio book:

I was pleasantly surprised. This is a wonderful book. It's a little hard to get in to at first because it starts off introducing the character you end up hating and it's just a little vulgar to start. Once the book introduces it's other characters (including Julie) you will be hooked. The plot is set during WWII and follows the stories of several characters eventually bringing them all together in the end.

The writing is wonderful and the narrator was great to listen
Rebecca
A 1980's perspective on WWII delivered via historical fiction. Interesting main female character. Interesting plot that could translate nicely to film.
Danika
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Night Sky follows the lives of three people throughout WWII. Vasson, a despicable, clever, hateful character who wants to profit from the war and is working with the Germans. He takes up small jobs to earn easy money because of his desire to be affluent. Julie, a determined and strong-willed woman who fled England wanting to avoid ridicule due to becoming pregnant with an illegitimate boy, and went to live with her distant family in France. She becomes tied into a Resistance group working in the ...more
Lhizz Browne
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most excellent WW2 thriller - several different lives who intersect at this very interesting time in recent European history. I'm currently intrigued by stories of the French Resistance, especially where ordinary people have become involved and been extraordinarily brave and resourceful, and I loved reading the details of the escape systems for downed airmen. I also found the treatment of the Germans quite believeable, they weren't all evil and crazy as they're usually painted. I found this book ...more
Derek Mcknight
Not a bad book at all, though lacking in any real twists it still kept me entertained until the final ending. The baddy got his comeuppance and the goodies lived happily ever after, with the addition that some of it was true-ish. Not a re-reader for sure but enough to tempt me to read another one of CFs books in the near future. A fair 4 stars.
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
c1983. "'A thoroughly professional wartime adventure' Sunday Times." Totally agree despite this being a debut novel. The characters are well drawn and the pace is excellent. FWFTB war, interwoven, Resistance, horror, faith.

Henry
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was tempted to give this book five stars, because I am a sucker for well researched historical fiction, but somehow I never "lost myself" in the process of reading. Maybe I'll give a proper review later.
Ingrid
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very detailed, well researched.
Liz
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She's one of the best thriller writers bar none..
Wright Gres
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one's been around a long time -- published in 1983. A really good read! This was Clare Francis' first novel. I read this a long time, and enjoyed it even more this time.
Sandra
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book almost as much this time as the first time I read it years ago. I recommend it to those who enjoy books with a romantic twist set during the German occupation in Europe.
Thom Swennes
This book was both interesting and informitive. It gives the reader a glimpse of occupied France and the undergrond network that saved so many allied pilots.
Mike Pouy
Mar 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent thriller by Clare Francis, this one during WW II. High suspense story with a strong female lead character.
Sue
I really enjoyed this book, I was able to get into the characters.
Marcia Ditter
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story. Excellent writing.
Joan
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mitch McCrimmon
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is about a young English woman who goes to France to live with relatives just before the start of WW2 and gets caught up in the resistance movement. Very suspenseful with an incredibly dramatic ending. Started a bit slowly but once the war is under way, the suspense builds. There are actually 3 parallel stories here. The main tale is the about the woman mentioned already. One of the other stories involves a Jewish scientist working on radar technology while the third story is about a French ...more
Mary
I read this book in the 1980s and loaned my copy to someone who never returned it. In the meantime, I forgot the title and author and spent years and years trying to find it again. I finally rediscovered it in 2016 and still consider it one of the best World War II novels I've ever read. I thought the characters of Julie and the German Jewish scientist (whose name escapes me at the moment) were very well drawn. Paul Vasson is probably one of the most despicable characters I've ever read in a wor ...more
Fi
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes a book comes along that makes you wish you hadn't been so generous with your five stars in the past, & this is one of them.
A really gripping war story, with shades of Neville Chute, Sebastian Faulks & others; a REALLY good read
Iain Hudson
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been wanting to read this for some time...

A good WWII thriller. Francis does well to interweave the stories of three people across 10 tempestuous years in European history. Her characters are very real and I found myself drawn into their lives....
Linton Lewis
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WELL WRITTEN ww2 novel boats and Brittainy over-exciting at points. Woman tracks traitor after war.
Vicki
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Clare Francis.
Gillian
May 31, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
better than wolf winter
Rachel
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good WWII novel. Conveys the uneasy times Europeans lived in. Both my husband and I enjoyed it. Very good for a first novel.
Riekie Greyling
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved every word of it!
Elly Haaft
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik registreerde een boek op BookCrossing.com!
Marilyn
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that will stay with you and a strong female character, Julie. So well written. One of the better fictional stories written in the times of Word War 11.
ChrisGA
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: y-read-2015
This is 30 years old but still a great thriller
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Arnie the Darling Starling (Arnie, #1)
  • The Serpent's Coil
  • Seal Woman
  • The Camerons
  • The Wild Children
  • Tightrope (Marian Sutro, #2)
  • An Old Captivity
  • Crescent City
  • The Raft
  • Nuremberg: The Reckoning
  • Truth and Duty: The Press, the President, and the Privilege of Power
  • Last Dance (Saturday Night, #2)
  • Palm Beach
  • Company of adventurers
  • Among the Righteous: Lost Stories from the Holocaust's Long Reach into Arab Lands
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone
  • Holocaust
  • I Am Rosemarie
Clare Francis's first novel; Night Sky was published in 1983 to international success. It went to number one in the Sunday Times bestseller list, and spent six weeks in the New York Times top 10.

Three more thrillers followed, Red Crystal (1985), Wolf Winter (1987) and Requiem (1991), which was published in the U.S. as The Killing Winds. Her first crime novel, Deceit was published in 1993, and dram
More about Clare Francis...