Start by marking “The Immortalist” as Want to Read:
The Immortalist

The Immortalist

"Death is an imposition on the human race, and no longer acceptable," reads the first sentence of this extraordinary book. Within the last few years "[W]e have circled the moon, harnessed nuclear energy, artificially reproduced DNA, and now have the biochemical means to control birth; why should death itself, the Last Enemy, be considered sacred and beyond conquest?
Published 1979 by Abacus (first published January 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Immortalist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Immortalist

Kenneth
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harrington's theme could be summed up as "if we can put a man on the moon, then we can decide to have an Apollo Project for extending the human lifespan." He gave fair consideration to a number of objections, as I recall; such as, if we lived for centuries, wouldn't we get bored? But that's not the part of this book that has stuck with me for decades and helped to define my attitudes towards life and death.

His first order of business was to demonstrate that our ideas of life after death are delu
Aaron Schmid
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was brought to my attention by Jason Silva (of YouTube's ShotsofAwe), to whom I owe my gratitude. It was a great read!

This book was extremely ambitious! But it's also suspiciously hard to get a hold of...unless you have deep pockets.

After rejecting amazon's listed price of $900, I found that eBay offered a lightly worn first printing, in hard-cover, for forty bucks. I couldn't find the book even close to that price anywhere else (aside from e-books). Oddly enough, it seems that this
Seamusin
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-gerontology
A pretty profound book. I'd not considered death so wrapped up in everything until this book. The first part really made it clear to me. The latter parts of the book could be skipped for those who've read a lot of sci-fi: it's essentially a dry summary of some great Arther C Clarke plots, emphasising they could well happen.
Lanny

• The Proper Study of Mankind
  • Future Perfect: The Case for Progress in a Networked Age
  • Hybrid Reality: Thriving in the Emerging Human-Technology Civilization
  • The Reproductive System
  • Designing News: Changing the World of Editorial Design and Information Graphics
  • The Blue Star
  • Crusade Against the Grail: The Struggle between the Cathars, the Templars, and the Church of Rome
  • Darwin's Pharmacy: Sex, Plants, and the Evolution of the Noosphere
  • Embodiment and the Inner Life: Cognition and Consciousness in the Space of Possible Minds
  • Nihongi
  • Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man
  • Listening
  • Project Retrospectives
  • The World of Silence
  • Les enfants du sabbat
  • Those Who Watch
“We must never forget that we are cosmic revolutionaries, not stooges conscripted to advance a natural order that kills everybody.” 30 likes
“The immortalist thesis is that the time has come for the race to get rid of the intimidating gods in its own head -- grow up out of our cosmic inferiority complex (no more "dust thou art, and to dust thou shalt return..."), bring our disguised desire into the open, and go after what we want, the only state of being we will settle for, which is divinity.” 0 likes