Start by marking “Notes on an Orange Burial” as Want to Read:
Notes on an Orange Burial

Notes on an Orange Burial

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  13 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
When a poet is wanted more by the police than any publisher, contractual matters could get ugly! It's not surprising Jona Gold has recently lost his wife and his job, nor that the local medical establishment and police department consider him dangerous. He is, after all, a poet. Whenever he's not busy filing away rejection letters or obsessing over the number 4, Jona spend ...more
Paperback, first, 248 pages
Published October 1st 2011 by 48fourteen (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Notes on an Orange Burial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notes on an Orange Burial

Mary White
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jona Gold is a poet and a dreamer, spending his days conducting imaginary conversations with deceased literary greats and punctuating his mundane existence with uncontrollable outbursts of poetic insight. And he’s one of the funniest characters I’ve encountered. Comparisons are sure to be made to Ignatius J. Reilly, and Levin’s story certainly includes some of the same elements: misguided intellectualism, vivid characters, episodic moments of raucous, “low” humor. But Notes on an Orange Burial a ...more
Kevin Bergeron
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story of Jona Gold, an obscure, obsessed poet who will stop at nothing, including kidnapping, to get his book published. Though Jona is so wrapped up in his art that he seemingly has no regard for others, inside him beats the heart of a true poet, and I couldn't help but like him, identified with his frustrations and admired his dedication.

Mostly this is a wild, non-stop funny farcical story. Actually it ranges between funny and hysterically funny. The rejection letters Jona receives from pu
Hayden Ellington
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who doesn't mind bad luck. C:
Recommended to Hayden by: Bella
Shelves: fiction, own1
This book fell into my laps, with a comment on how good it was from Bella. I was curious, Bella had said the protagonist just didn't have much luck and I wondered, how bad can it get before it's too much? What type of bad luck did he encounter... And I decided to read it, happily doing so the week after I received the book. It was good, really good. I love the poetry that was inserted here and there. The letters Jonas received were cute, in a desperate way, funny too.

I read it quickly until page
Judy Adams
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Judy by: Frank Kusy
Notes on an Orange Burial is one of my all-time favorite books. It's a great read. It's very funny, but there is a serious undercurrent of thought-provoking material. I actually can't put it down once I start reading it - I've read it about six times. Greg Levin is clearly a brilliant human being, with one of those types of minds that fire on multiple levels at once, that really understand connections, that can cry and laugh about the same things at the same time. I could not recommend this book ...more
Mary
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this novel. Greg Levin is a super talented writer; I give him 10/10 for plot, characterization, character motivation, action and re-action. It's clever, witty, so funny and moving.

Jona Gold is a character that the reader will, initially, laugh at but he will draw you into his rather odd-ball world then you will love him and laugh with him. It's a brilliant, stunning piece of writing and I hope we can get it here in the UK soon. I know I'm repeating myself but... I absolutely love
Carol Dance
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I nearly cacked my pants laughing. This Greg Levin bloke is a bit of a comic genius. At one point, I was cackling so hard I hurt the side of my face then got that terrible pain behind my ear thingie and had to stop reading for a while.

If you've only got a few quid left for food/utilities, I reckon you must be feeling a bit grim. Therefore, bugger the utilites and/or food, and buy this book.

Granted, you won't have any heat, light or food, but at least you'll be laughing.
Alex
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
The start of this was promising. Who doesn't love a little humor? But, unfortunately, it wound up being the kind of predictable story where I found myself skipping pages without missing a beat. I'm proud of myself for finishing it!
Isabella
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, own
I love this book! Very cerebral but oh so funny. Jona is just so unfortunate that you don't know if you want to laugh or cry for him. I absolutely adore the last sentence of the book. Great job!
Nick Leden
Jul 26, 2016
Juanita Samborski
Mar 20, 2014
Greg Levin
Jul 14, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Andy Snelgrove
added it
Kayla Baldwin
Madge
Aug 31, 2011
Greg Levin is an award-winning author of contemporary fiction with a dark comedic tinge. His first novel… meh, nobody but Greg’s parents really care about his first novel. His second novel, The Exit Man, has been optioned by Showtime for development into a TV series and won a 2015 Independent Publishers Award (a.k.a., an “IPPY”).

Greg’s third novel, Sick to Death, came out in September 2016 and ha