Start by marking “Swarm (Star Force, #1)” as Want to Read:
Swarm (Star Force, #1)

Swarm (Star Force #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  6,445 Ratings  ·  313 Reviews
Earth arms marines with alien technology and builds its first battle fleet!
Kyle Riggs is snatched by an alien spacecraft sometime after midnight. The ship is testing everyone it catches and murdering the weak. The good news is that Kyle keeps passing tests and staying alive. The bad news is the aliens who sent this ship are the nicest ones out there....
A novel of milit
Published July 8th 2011 by CreateSpace (first published December 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Swarm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swarm

Mike (the Paladin)
I read some of the other reviews on this one and I see it got a lot of good ratings. There were a couple however that rated it fairly low and said things like, "simplistic" or "no depth". The main question that came to my mind at that was, "who picks up a book titled Swarm (Star Force 1) looking for a deep philosophical tome?" It's the people who had the same sort of complaint about Monster Hunter International I suppose...what did you expect? We get it, you're too highbrow for the rest of "us" ...more
Phil Johnson
Well done. The main character just has his children eviscerated by aliens. For the rest of the book, he throws token remorse in their direction, but really spends most of his time trying to get into the pants of the hot/curvy/mostly-naked/restrained woman that ends up falling for him for some reason.

Bonus points for all of the hot-blooded Latina stereotypes! I'm surprised her skin color wasn't compared to food, like flan or something.

I'll give a star for the tech though. Yay nanos!
Kat  Hooper
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit. http://www.fantasyliterature.com

Professor Kyle Riggs and his kids were asleep in their house when the alien spaceship arrived. It killed the kids, kidnapped Kyle, and put him through a series of grueling tests. Since he was still alive afterward, the ship made Kyle the captain. This has been happening all over Earth. Most of the captured humans have been killed because they couldn’t make it through the rigorous tests, but all the survivors are now piloting spaceships
Fred Fenimore
Mar 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
A Swing and a Miss?

Normally, when I read something with the words swarm and star force in the title, I get all warm and tingly thinking of all the hours I wiled away as a youngster swinging on my hammock reading Doc Smith. I expect to be transported for a couple of hours into a world where all the right people succeed simply by being the squarest of square bricks.

But what I got here was poorly written, badly plotted, sociopathic, uninteresting and much, much less. There is a kind of art to writi
Maurice Alvarez
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first exposure to B.V. Larson’s writing, and I was riveted from the start. I read Swarm in two sessions; I just did not want to put it down until I found out how it ended.

The plot is simple, much like the E.E. Smith “Lensman” novels: forces try to one-up each other in a series of combat scenarios, either by tech or tactics while an alien device assists our side. But the first person POV of main protagonist Kyle Riggs works marvelously to get the story to that point, as the reader is
Violet
I think I was about ten and my kid brother must have been eight.
And we wrote a story!
About cyborg invasion, they came from a big ship, conveniently parked on one of Jupiter's moon's with a mission to KILLLLLL.
A story was about 3 pages long and it had more plot, character and well everything than this sad excuse of wannabe savior white boy's fapping material.
Series deleted from the reading list.
Pam
Feb 10, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, scifi
Meh. Apparently there is one intelligent person in the entire world who has to do everything himself, from computer programming (sort of) to weapon engineering to field combat and command to alien language analysis, if he wants to save the world from alien robots. Everyone else is cannon fodder, except Sandra, the hot naked college student, who's here for sex. And none of them have any personality.
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
SWARM is a book for when you are in the mood for what they would have called in the old days, 'a testosterone-driven' read. It's a book with aliens, space ships, and invasions much in keeping with the scifi classics.

The story is told in first person. Kyle Riggs is our protagonist and he makes a convincing computer scientist cum war hero. Something along the lines of a Heinlein character; a man of wit who rises to the occasion.

WHAT I LIKED:
--The concept was great and interesting.
--I particularl
G33z3r
A sci-fi fantasy in which a college professor meets aliens and rises to command a fleet of spaceships and nano-technology super soldiers. because, smart beats brawn? Our hero seems to be the only intelligent man on planet Earth, forced to personally solve every problem when the planet is faced with not one but two rival alien invasions. (Oh, and he accidentally ends up with a hot naked college coed in bondage, too. One of the many perks of commanding an all-powerful alien-built starship.) Minima ...more
Juliana Rodrigues
I found this book on an Audible promotion and got intrigued, so I bought it and started to listening it right away. I was not disappointed!

Swarm is a fast pace military science fiction, where the main plot is the human survival from a alien invasion. The first point of view gave sense of reality to most of fighting scenes, and the plot was intriguing and full of additional material that kept me listening to it.

The text has humor too, Kyle pulled as a good main character and survivor.

The narrator
Banner
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, alien
Very soon into this book I thought this was going to be a three star. Fast starting adventure with nasty aliens. It has kind of a retro feel of a 1950's b rate movie; there is even a scene with a scantly clad damsel in distressed, that is chained to the wall. But the plot is very tightly written and the story continued to flow without any disjointed sub story lines. The imagination grew as did the story until a ending that was able to surprise without a major cliffhanger.

Recommended for pure en
Avihu
Feb 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Complete and utter garbage. This book feels like a sci-fi novelisation of the recent GI Joe movies. Complete nonsense for the sake of cheap and fast action. No character development. No reasonable plot. Just a description of explosions and idiotic decision making to distract the reader from the absence of the plot. Nevertheless, there prominent references to other classics: Rama, Terminator and War of the Worlds are some that I spotted immediately.

After bashing the book generally, I will dive de
Sarena Straus
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I picked up Swarm based soley on a recommendation and reviews on Audible.com and I'm so glad I did. This book is fantastic, fast moving, well written (really well narrated if you do Audible) and incredibly creative. The novel starts with a bang when Kyle Riggs' children are snatched up by an alien spacecraft and dropped to their deaths moments later. Needless to say, Kyle is pissed and grabs a rifle (he's a farmer/computer science professor, so the rifle is on hand) before the arm reaches down t ...more
Sean
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Swarm is an interesting read, quickly morphing from one sort of alien incursion story to another, I found it far from satisfying. While some attempt is made to justify the technologies involved, they really are what the author needs to drive the story in the direction he wants.

The ships tasked, like the one that kidnap our main character, with defending the Earth from the invading 'Macros' seem to be ideally designed to kill their pilots and fail in their task, as they have no coherent tactics a
M Hamed
Nov 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, military-sci-fi
glorified fan fiction with no depth and very limited view

ex (a small one ):an entire army caught off guard with no recon or any front lines
Paul
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Light and fun. Lot's of action.
Donna Weaver
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHAT IT'S ABOUT
Earth arms marines with alien technology and builds its first battle fleet!

MY TAKE
The book was interesting in the beginning, heart-wrenching even. As things moved along and the body count increased the st
Kiril Panchev
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a big and tasty military sci-fi burger!
Although I've seen similar premise in Assault Troopers in the Extinction War series here the execution in much better.
Deducting a point due to the children subplot. I just didn't like it!
Петър Стойков
Нелоша фантастика, която започва с интересен и любопитен сюжет, който обещава нестандарна и идейна книга, но продължава малко скучно и стандартно.
Martha
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an easy listening, action-packed military sci fi from my Audible TBR shelf.

Kyle Riggs is a college professor and farmer – until aliens reach into his yard and capture his son. As Kyle scrambles to grab a shotgun and get his daughter into the car for safety, his son’s body is dropped from the sky. Then the alien snake-like arm breaks through the car window to snatch his daughter. A few minutes later his daughter is dropped on his roof. Then they grab him, and Kyle is more than happy to b
Ed Tinkertoy
Before I read this book I saw a review of it that someone posted that said the book had very little science in it. That is exactly what I found. Good science fiction to me is an extension of real science and is believable. This book did not meet that test for me. The story reads like some kid who had a fantasy and made up things as he went along to make a story. The story has a LOT of holes, like where did the alien ships come from and why, and then where did the adversary Macro ships come from, ...more
Janos Honkonen
B. V. Larson is one of those super prolific self publishers that are doing well on Amazon. Swarm is the first book in Star Force series, and it left me massively torn. On one hand, the book was entertaining. It was pretty pure pulp-military-scifi with giant robots and space battles and souped up space marines, and the basic premise of an alien invasion works well.

That was the good part. The bad - well, if I'm buying self published scifi, I'm not expecting to see massively nuanced characterizatio
Aaron
I wanted to like this book enough to finish it. I really really did. For so many reasons. But I was suffering. I was suffering too badly to continue to suffer, after getting at least 65% through the book. I love sci-fi, and I love speculative stuff and I can suspend disbelief for weird or new or even scientifically inaccurate stuff, so long as it's believable within its world. But so much of the human interactions here were completely unrealistic. The most prominent female character was inconsis ...more
Berend
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
The book starts out like an action movie and pretty much continues like one. Several times during the reading I had to stop and curse. Or just lay it down in disgust. Reflecting afterwards, I felt kind of dirty: perhaps Swarm is a guilty pleasure of somekind. But not the guilty pleasure you share easily.

Let's talk about the book. Action? Lots of it. Suspension of disbelief required? Off the charts. No, really, I mean it: sometimes you have to open your mind so wide that your brains fall out to
Alex
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light but entertaining. This book is what I would call Science Pulp Fiction. It's pulpy, filled with action and short, you can read it in one sitting. The characters are pretty thin, the women are "hot with tanned legs" and in constant need of rescuing, there are overwhelming odds to overcome and bad guys to kill.

Although most of these things would normally be pretty negative for a good book, here they're positives as long as you know what you're getting into. This is a Sunday afternoon popcorn
Michael
Vijai
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Look, I get it, this is sci-fi and unreal shit happens BUT what should not happen is a douchebag protagonist. Either that happened or there's one superbly retarded alien master race in this book.

"Well, hello there alien species! what did you say? want a fuckton of human soldiers every year? Sure, come next year. What? Who am I? the unintended captain of this one man ship of course and yeah I SPEAK FOR ALL OF HUMANITY."
Shane
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a stand alone scify, it wasn't that great. Character development is replaced by story. It is an interesting story though with interesting turns. "Independence Day" meets "Flight of the Navigator" meets Space Marines. The end is a note from the author that if this book gets good response, he will make a series of it. Should that happen, it might be worth the read.
David Jolley
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are about 80% combat... the entire story could have been told in about 6 books with plenty of combat to go around. It can become a drag. After book 9 Larson teams up with a co-author for adventure with main characters son... so far, those are much better. The first nine books lack any noteworthy amount of intrigue.
Fred
Amazing Sci Fi from a great Indie writer. I can't believe that publishers wouldn't go for this guy. Oh well, screw 'em, he's making six figures on the internet selling things as amazing eBooks now. How's that for a thumb in the eye.
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Spaceships kidnapping humans! [s] 5 31 Dec 20, 2014 01:27AM
  • Hopscotch
  • High-Opp
  • On My Way to Paradise
  • In Hero Years... I'm Dead
  • The Stars in Shroud
  • Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future (Santiago #1)
  • The Disappeared (Retrieval Artist, #1)
  • Center of Gravity (Star Carrier, #2)
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
  • The Rings of Haven (The Frontiers Saga #2)
  • For Honor We Stand
  • Omega Rising (Omega Force, #1)
  • Dreadnaught (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #1)
  • Ark Royal (Ark Royal, #1)
  • The Hot Gate (Troy Rising, #3)
Brian Larson is an American science fiction and fantasy author
More about B.V. Larson...

Star Force (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Extinction (Star Force, #2)
  • Rebellion (Star Force, #3)
  • Conquest (Star Force, #4)
  • Army of One (Star Force, #4.5)
  • Battle Station (Star Force, #5)
  • Empire (Star Force, #6)
  • Annihilation (Star Force, #7)
  • Storm Assault (Star Force, #8)
  • The Dead Sun (Star Force, #9)
  • Outcast (Star Force, #10)
“They came for raw materials,” 1 likes
“Alliances are always forged in the fires of necessity, rather than poured from the sweet wine of love.” 1 likes