Start by marking “The Pampered Chef: The Story of One of America's Most Beloved Companies” as Want to Read:
The Pampered Chef: The Story of One of America's Most Beloved Companies

The Pampered Chef: The Story of One of America's Most Beloved Companies

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
At Berkshire Hathaway, we like companies that are easy to understand. Doris Christopher’s “keep it simple” approach has a lot to teach anyone who is reaching for the American Dream. Frankly, if I can’t understand a company’s business, I figure their customers must have a pretty hard time figuring it out, too.

I would challenge anyone on Wall Street to take $3,000 and do wha
Published July 5th 2005 by Currency (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Pampered Chef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pampered Chef

Ben
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
an entrepreneurial story about the growth of the company from a female CEO! strong backstory and detail during early stages. fades in value as the company grows and behind achieving substring growth. limited insight into tactics and strategies being very high level summaries.
Donnelle
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was such a nice book to read - made me want to work for the Pampered Chef, or at least have a party. Having sold home party products for two different companies, I found it very interesting to learn about the start up operation of the PC and its continued growth. I even learned something my PC consultant didn't know - the pig wand was not removed from the market because it couldn't live up to the guarantee of the PC, but because it was hand made and the supplier couldn't keep up with demand ...more
Lynne Strang
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
A remarkable story about a stay-at-home mother who created a multi-million dollar business. I especially liked the eleven tips for start-up entrepreneurs that Doris Christopher presents in the second chapter. If you're an aspiring or new business owner, this is a book that you might want to read two or three times to absorb its many lessons.
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love non-fiction books that do exactly what they say they're going to do. In this one, Doris Christopher lays out how she started and built up her business, The Pampered Chef. Because she started by herself out of her basement and now runs a company of thousands across the company with a hundreds of thousands of square feet headquarters, this is quite the inspirational story.
J.M.
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs, nonfiction
Very interesting to read about the humble beginnings of what has grown into a nationally recognized company. I felt it could've done with some editing, as there were many areas that were repetitious, but otherwise it was a quick and informative read.
Abby
Feb 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
I didn't love it, but I didn't HATE it. Very repetitive, literally, I think Mrs. Christoper copied & pasted entire paragraphs throughout the entire book. It also read more like a personal recount of the history of the company, rather than words of advise on her experience with the company.
Jeff Wilson
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book...although most people won't find it that interesting. Interest is generated by relevance...and this book was extremely relevant to me at that time. I absolutely loved it...and learned quite a bit from it.
Angtburg
Great real-life story about taking a concept, developing it, and working through the growing pains.
Shu Lindsey
Sep 04, 2009 rated it liked it
"In matters of principle, stand like a rock; in matters of taste, swim with the current."
--- Thomas Jefferson
Renée Milani walsh
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book! Such an inspiration. This book is about how the company was created, very interesting!
Marialexandra
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a wonderful book. It was fun, light, but most of all, packed with many lessons for any entrepreneur.
Wendy
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Great to.find out from.the owner the how and why a product was started! As an independent consultant it is nice to hear the background.
Cindy Knapp
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story about a great and respected company.
Aspasia
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I personally love Pampered Chef products, so it was interesting to learn how the company started in Doris Christopher's basement!
Monica
Jul 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
A company that started in the family garage and made it. A great story.
R
Mar 08, 2011 added it
I am enjoying it. Very simple language, almost a "to do list" - yet strikes a personal note, and very engaging. Doris speaks to my heart!
Joanne
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was a fast read. You can almost hear Doris's voice coming through on each page. It tells an inspiring story on a company that started in a basement and now is known world wide.
Kerry Ann
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have known Doris Christopher for 17 years and loved reading this account of The Pampered Chef. She is an inspiration!
Lola Shahdadi
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved the guidance that I received about being a woman in business. The advice was so valuable!
Angie
Nov 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very easy to read, and very inspirational as a woman trying to start/run a direct sales business.
Kristin
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I may be a little biased, but I loved reading how this company came into being, and the events that have allowed it to become a household name.
Jaimit Doshi