Start by marking “Mending the Past and Healing the Future with Soul Retrieval” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Mending the Past and H...

Alberto Villoldo

Mending the Past and Healing the Future with Soul Retrieval

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  236 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In this fascinating book by psychologist and medical anthropologist Alberto Villoldo, you'll discover how you can heal yourself and your loved ones by employing journeying, the powerful process used by the shamans of the Americas. The practices of soul retrieval and destiny retrieval are also described in rich, practical detail, illustrating how you can become your own sha ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Hay House, Inc. (first published June 1st 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about Mending the Past and Healing the Future with Soul Retrieval

Andrea Marley
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to write about a book that affects your inner world and inner thoughts so intensely. Its like those clips you see on Pinterest or Tumblr that show those beautiful poetic foreign words that have no translation in English.

What I will say is, this book certainly makes you think and lifts you out of that sometimes small and myopic world of details and to-do lists that one can get too caught up in. It's like yoga stretching for your mind.

I have enjoyed all of Villoldos' books and wish I di
Arun
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent work and a powerful read and if you want a deep insight into the workings of shamanic ways, this is the way to start
John Crawford
I really loved Alberto's earlier work especially the four winds which I know is very poetic and perhaps not entirely factual. As a long time student of shamanic interests I took the time and trouble to fully connect to this program. I recorded my sessions. The book is very ambitious and I have to give it for credit for trying. Funny however the exercises did feel a little bit forced and although I had some fairly remarkable experiences by using it I can't say that it helped me to progress very m ...more
Lolo
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult, ebook, self-help
For a Shamanic book, it has a lot of christian myths and stories that kind of ruins the feeling and offer nothing to the book. Also, why do people still use the "Anne Frank" stories, even though it's been proven it's a hoax, I'll never understand.

If you can ignore the above, this is a great book. One of the rare books that talk about soul retrieval. It's a very advanced topic and this books makes a great journey of this topic.

I would suggest this book to anyone willing and ready to explore the d
Nathaniel Williams
Some interesting visualization and journaling exercises wrapped in a hodge podge of allegories and snippets of the authors diary. It made me want to read a book about Laika Shamanism by a better and more coherent writer. I would have given it 2 stars, but the apocalyptic admonitions and hints of an odd New Age eugenics in the last chapter really dropped my opinion on the writer from harmlessly spacey to slightly delusional.
Chris
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is where I am in my life journey, my mind is open , my heart is being led and there are just some things in life that you have to experience for yourself, when you as an individual are ready. It may be a book that you stick on your to read list and then someday when you are feeling the nudge, you will explore it for yourself. :)
Carolyn
Sep 05, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who would like to read an instructional book on Incan-inspired healing techniques
This book was not as fun to read as Alberto Villoldo's memoirs. It is more of an instructional book on how to do Soul Retreival. It was very interesting and informative, but I hink that it would be nearly impossible to learn the techniques outlined in this book by yourself. It is important to have someone who has already mastered the techniques to teach you.
Taryn
This book was more of a workbook of exercises to perform and wasn't quite what I thought it would be. I think if a person dedicated the proper time to studying this topic, many wonderful things could be accomplished.
MizzSandie
Feeling kind of mixed about this book.
Some of it I didn't really connect with, other parts I did.
I didn't do all the exercises, only the ones I was drawn to.
Might come back to it and do the others at a later point.
Silas
An interesting, if somewhat watered-down and quasi-Christian take on shamanism.
Jessica Clements
Feb 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book that taught me techniques of Past Life work within my healing.
Narda Martine
interesting and good exercises but very culture specific take on shamanism, too rigid in its approach and teaching of the way shamanic practice should be.
Cat
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on the topic of Shamanism. Explains in practical hands on terms that help all who seek to heal.
Betsy
Apr 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful for healing past wounds.
Sharon
Had to buy this book to reread and mark it up with my questions and comments.
Barbara DiTullio
Mar 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self
  • Singing the Soul Back Home: Shamanic Wisdom for Every Day
  • The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine
  • 13 Original Clan Mothers: Your Sacred Path to Discovering the Gifts, Talents and Abilities of the Feminine Through the Ancient Teachings of the Sisterhood
  • The World of Shamanism: New Views of an Ancient Tradition
  • Cave and Cosmos: Shamanic Encounters with Another Reality
  • Earth Magic: Ancient Shamanic Wisdom for Healing Yourself, Others, and the Planet
  • The Celtic Shaman: A Handbook (Earth Quest)
  • The Medicine Way: A Shamanic Path to Self Mastery (The "Earth Quest" Series)
  • Spiritwalker: Messages from the Future
  • Urban Shaman
  • Entering the Circle: Ancient Secrets of Siberian Wisdom Discovered by a Russian Psychiatrist
  • Conscious Dreaming: A Spiritual Path for Everyday Life
  • The Shamanic Way of the Bee: Ancient Wisdom and Healing Practices of the Bee Masters
  • Shapeshifting: Techniques for Global and Personal Transformation
  • The Four-Fold Way: Walking the Paths of the Warrior, Teacher, Healer, and Visionary
  • In the Shadow of the Shaman: Connecting with Self, Nature, and Spirit
  • The Toltec Way: A Guide to Personal Transformation
By his mid-20s Alberto Villoldo was the youngest clinical professor at San Francisco State University. He was directing his own laboratory, the Biological Self-Regulation Lab, investigating how energy medicine and visualization could change the chemistry of the brain.

One day in his biology laboratory, Alberto realized that his investigation had to get bigger instead of smaller; Alberto needed to f
More about Alberto Villoldo...