Start by marking “No One is Here Except All of Us” as Want to Read:
No One is Here Except All of Us

No One is Here Except All of Us

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  2,148 Ratings  ·  528 Reviews
A beguiling, imaginative, inspiring story about the bigness of being alive as an individual, as a member of a tribe, and as a participant in history, exploring how we use storytelling to survive and shape our own truths.

In 1939, the families in a remote Jewish village in Romania feel the war close in on them. Their tribe has moved and escaped for thousands of years - acros
Published February 2nd 2012 by Riverhead (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about No One is Here Except All of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No One is Here Except All of Us

Saleh MoonWalker
Onvan : No One is Here Except All of Us - Nevisande : Ramona Ausubel - ISBN : 1594487944 - ISBN13 : 9781594487941 - Dar 325 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 2012
Cindi
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Magical. Lyrical. Mesmerizing. Haunting. Heartbreaking. Tender. Hopeful. Healing. Life.

How can I describe the unique and unforgettable novel No One Is Here Except All Of Us by Ramona Ausubel? Part fable. Part poetry. Part fairy tale. Ausubel takes the stories that she has heard from her grandmother since childhood and weaves them into a breathtaking and heart wrenching novel with characters that are vivid and alive in their human desires, aches and triumphs.

A remote Jewish village in Romania dec
Julie
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, vine, fiction
This book is getting a lot of hype and I’m still scratching my head wondering why. By now you probably know the premise of the remote Romanian village of Jews who choose to reinvent their world and isolate themselves from the chaos of war. The main thing I don’t understand is why people are calling this a Holocaust book. The war is so distant because the villagers decide to ignore it. At some point, yes, it reaches them, but the dreamlike narration makes it feel surreal and unimportant. Which le ...more
Jill
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Anyone who has viewed Robert Benigni in Life is Beautiful understands the power of storytelling, particularly when confronted with one of the most heinous evils in history – the Holocaust. In that movie, the character uses his fertile imagination to provide alternate stories for his son, interned in a concentration camp. In this debut novel by Ramona Ausubel, a remote Jewish village in Romania erases the approaching danger by reinventing their world and starting from scratch.

It’s an intriguing p
Katherine
Jun 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
Erika Robuck
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Set in a remote village in Romania in 1939, NO ONE IS HERE EXCEPT ALL OF US tells the story of nine Jewish families who make a brave and unusual decision when the encroaching effects of the Nazi’s campaign across Europe arrive in the form of a nearly drowned woman. This stranger tells of an evil army who has tortured and murdered everyone she loves, and the villagers recognize their own danger.

Together, they decide to reinvent themselves. Husbands and children are exchanged, jobs are swapped, an
Sjcapanna
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
AWFUL. And by "awful," I am partially referring to the horrific, disturbing details that one would expect from a novel about the Holocaust. I do think it is important for us to be made aware of these events, so I'm not criticizing the author for including them in her book. (Though I do think a scene where a person is raped on a filthy mattress in the middle of a field while the bones of her dead baby rattle alongside her may be a bit gratuitous.)

But I also just feel like this story was awful by
Jan Priddy
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
I loved Ausubel's One Story offering, “Safe Passage” and expected I would love this too. The first hint that I might not was her New Yorker story that most people seem to have loved, but which I couldn't quite believe. And then the novel arrived and I began reading. The premise is brilliant and others have spoken to that.

Ironically, since so many people have also admired Ausubel's skill as a writer, the writing is the problem for me. Characters are held at a distance. Others refer to the fairy-
Christopher Alonso
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don't know if I'll be able to do this book justice. The voice and the descriptions. You're floating over the narrator, a ghost, fog, and you're breathing air you're not supposed to breathe and hearing things you're not supposed to hear. Dreamlike is the closest word I c an think of, and it's not enough.
Jackie
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
First they see bomber planes fly over their houses at the beginning of WWII. Then a refugee who threw herself into the river after seeing her husband and children killed washes up on their riverbank. Aghast at what they learn from her, this small village of 102 people decide that the best way to avoid the horror that was clearly coming was to create their own world. They already live on a peninsula, so only one small spot on the river needs to be hidden and they can start anew. That is
indeed wh
  • The Conundrum: How Scientific Innovation, Increased Efficiency, and Good Intentions Can Make Our Energy and Climate Problems Worse
  • A Good American
  • The Thief of Auschwitz
  • The Rebel Wife
  • Hope: A Tragedy
  • Forgotten Country
  • Sister Queens: The Noble, Tragic Lives of Katherine of Aragon and Juana, Queen of Castile
  • Priestblock 25487: a Memoir of Dachau
  • Blooms of Darkness
  • The Last Hiccup
  • Heidegger's Glasses
  • The Silence of Trees
  • The Last Storyteller (A Novel of Ireland, #3)
  • The Devil's Madonna
  • A Partial History of Lost Causes
  • The Last Brother
  • Isaac's Army: A Story of Courage and Survival in Nazi-Occupied Poland
  • Absolution
Ramona Ausubel is the author of a new novel, Sons and Daughters of Ease and Plenty (on sale 6/14/2016) as well as No One is Here Except All of Us, winner of the PEN Center USA Literary Award for Fiction, the VCU Cabell First Novelist Award and Finalist for the New York Public Library Young Lions Fiction Award. Her collection of stories, A Guide to Being Born, was a New York Times’ Notable Book. He ...more
More about Ramona Ausubel...
“It doesn't always make sense, how you go about loving someone. Sometimes loving means gathering them back, sometimes it means sending them away.” 11 likes
“The only true thing is what's in front of you right now.” 9 likes