Start by marking “A Bad Day for Scandal (Bad Day, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Bad Day for Scandal (Bad Day, #3)

A Bad Day for Scandal (Bad Day #3)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  471 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
When Prosper homegirl turned big-city businesswoman Priss Porter returns to town with a body in her trunk, she calls Stella Hardesty to dispose of it. Her uppity ways don't convince Stella to take the job, and Priss attempts to blackmail her with a snapshot of Stella doing what she does best: curing woman-beaters by the use of force.

Stella refuses to cooperate and goes hom
Published April 10th 2012 by Minotaur Books (first published June 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Bad Day for Scandal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bad Day for Scandal

Regina
4.5 stars. When I think of Stella Hardesty one word comes to mind: BADASS. Now, lest you think I am taking advantage of marketing my blog in the text of this review – let me prove to you why Stella is so gosh darned BADASS.

1. At the age of 50 she redefined her body from chubby to svelte, powerful and able to endure a lot of physical activity.

2. At the age of 49 she killed (in defense and out of anger) her long standing physically abusive husband. (Note: I am not endorsing murder, this is simply
Nadine Jones
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I loved the first two books in this series, but this one just sort of fell flat for me. I don't know if I just wasn't in the mood, or if the book wasn't as interesting. The pace picks up a bit at the end.
Keri
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There Stella is about to get her groove on with Sheriff "Goat" Jones when she gets a call from a person in her past needing her special kind of help. When she finally gets there, Priss Porter, a hometown snooty girl makes good, wants her to get rid of a dead body. When Stella turns her down, Priss shows Stella her blackmail hand. Darn, she is holding a pair of pictures...pictures showing Stella applying her special brand of justice to one of her "parolees". She tells Stella to think about it and ...more
Donna Davis
This fun, fluffy little book is aimed at my demographic, 50-something women. I read the first two in the series, A Bad Day for Pretty and A Bad Day for Sorry. Both were amusing, so when I ran across this one at a discount, I was ready to add it to my shelves.

It's largely a beach read. I say "largely", because although it is easy to follow even when the reader is a little sleepy (or for those of you who imbibe, probably when the reader has had a couple of drinks), it also raises questions, though
Josh
Dec 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read_2012
Small town vigilante, Stella Hardesty, returns for a third installment in Sophie Littlefield's unique series of a women fighting back against domestic abuse and other manner of wrong doings. Brandishing a 'take-no-prisioners' attitude, a curvaceous sidekick, and a weapons arsenal sure to blush than bloody, Stella, is one hell of a women - get on her wrong side and you'll the wrath of the finer sex like never before.

Stella's latest case sees her momentarily assume the role of victim (but you kno
Dianna Shimizu
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I was really disappointed with this book. I've read the first two in the series and loved them, about a woman who teaches lessons to abusive men. But this one seemed to be trying too hard to be funny and witty and clever, and I didn't enjoy it at all, and probably won't read any more in this series.
Virginia Harrell
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third one! Stella does not disappoint.
Marley
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I don't know if I wasn't in the mood for this book or if it was the writing but it looks my interest and I eventually stopped reading.
Nicole Estes
It's part of a series it looks like. Kind of a spoof type read. I found myself hurrying through it. Not my style of reading I guess, there were a couple funny moments. Wouldn't search for more of this series to read.
Lori McD
Best yet in the series!

This Stella Hardesty book was different from the others: the "villain" is a woman, not a man. And Stella is neck-deep in what happened to Priss - the girl from their small rural Missouri town who got what she wanted by her smarts and wily ways of blackmailing or somehow getting rid of the competition. Priss hasn't changed all that much, she's just wearing fancier clothes and driving fancier cars.

Priss interrupts a small party at Stella's house - just when Sheriff "Goat" Jo
HBalikov
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There is a scene in Casablanca between the head of police, Louie, and the nightclub owner, Rick.
“Why CASABLANCA?’
‘I came here for the waters.’
‘The waters? What waters? We’re in the desert.’
‘I was misinformed.’”

I came to A Bad Day for Scandal for a mystery by an author, Sophie Littlefield, who has won or been nominated for many of the highest awards for mystery writers: The Edgar, Anthony, Crimespree...etc.
I did so having read some favorable comments by Marilyn Stasio in the NY Times. I was m
Lance Charnes
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
Poor Stella Hardesty. She burst out on the mystery world in 2009’s A Bad Day for Sorry and won a passel of awards from a bunch of city clickers who were taken (as was I) by her fresh voice and setting. (I gave it four stars mostly because of the nearly out-of-control ending.) Then came A Bad Day for Sorry (2010): her story was a little messier, herself a bit less unusual for a heroine (those workouts and newly-found gun smarts, I reckon), the plot more convoluted than quirky. But Stella was stil ...more
Katrina Stonoff
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sophie LIttlefield is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. Her protagonist, Stella Hardesty, is so deliciously beyond the limits of what's allowed in good girl behavior -- but in the BEST ways. And I love seeing abusive schmucks get what they deserve.

Having said that, I dragged my heels buying this book. I just didn't believe Littlefield could jump the formula. She'd written two books about Stella beating up pricks to teach them a lesson and then nearly dying in the process. And they were good!
Mary
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stella Hardesty is middle America personified, living outside of Kansas City in small town Prosper, and she takes no crap from anyone. She freed herself from an abusive marriage (OK, maybe she killed him) and she has since helped other women who had similar problems. This time around she is approached by someone she doesn't like, who tries to coerce her into helping her dump a body. Stella doesen't take well to arm twisting. The situation with nasty Priss Porter gets worse, and Stella needs to s ...more
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am in love with this series, and bummed that there are only 4 novels so far - although it looks like there may be a 5th in e-reader format only. Alas, I still rock it old-school and read actual books. This may be the series that pushes me to make the change to modern technology.

I find Stella & Co. utterly charming and entertaining. I don't find the mysteries themselves to be all that gripping, but it doesn't matter because I love seeing what Stella and her friends are going to do next. I
Magpie67
Funny amateur-sleuth series with a bit of romance.... I thought maybe the Sheriff would get in this book a touch more than the first ones. Stella needs to get her groove on!!!! Always something going on when Stella is in need to solve a relationship problem but when blackmailing shenanigans touch her world, Stella fights back only to have another problem arise as bodies are being left.. suggesting she might have done the killing. Will Sheriff Goat and Stella get their relationship off the ground ...more
Minna
Somehow I missed this one, reading straight from #2 to #4. What a shame; this is definitely one of the best ones in Stella's series.

As usual in the Bad Day series, we get a fierce, funny, spunky, take-no-prisoners, spitfire of a main character. Add to that a sexy forbidden love interest (Sheriff Goat Jones), a possible rival for Stella's affections in BJ, a hilarious partner/sidekick/pseudo-daughter named Chrissy, a trainwreck of a real daughter, and some unbelievable shenanigans to get to the
Carol
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stella Hardesty is a great heroine - funny, kick-ass, feminine. She was a battered wife and is now a defender and advocate for other women and men like her past self. Her daughter Noelle, sewing shop employee and defender partner, Chrissy, and law man Goat are the main characters. Each book in this series brings a mystery to solve. Stella usually makes me laugh, and this time she still does. However, it was not as compelling a story as the first two. Also, even set in the rural Midwest, I find t ...more
Kathy
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of this series! I love that Stella Hardesty is a very realistic middle-aged woman with imperfections galore yet at the same time has overcome incredible obstacles to become an amazing take charge woman. As a very discrete vigilante who sets about pointing abusive men in the right direction, she is a heroine to all women! In her latest adventure Stella is dealing with a former Prosper resident, Priss Porter who calls upon Stella for help then disappears thus the adventure begins! ...more
Maria
Stella is offered a job by a former local girl Priss. But it turns out that this job is nothing more than disposal of a corpse. Stella refuses and Priss counters with blackmail. Now Priss is missing and Stella's scarf was left at the scene. She's just have to get to the bottom of this herself before the sheriff does.

Why I started this book: I enjoyed the other books in the series and wanted to see where Stella would go to next.

Why I finished it: Quick read, Littlefield knows how to weave a beli
Theresa
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
With each page I turned this story served up shock and laughs. Stella the lead characher in this story has an a side business, "she cures women-beaters by the use of force". You'll love trying to figure out the who, what and why dead body in this little not Mayberry town. Adding to the drama of the story is Sheriff "Goat" Jones, Stella's kind of boyfriend who doesn't know about her side business. Daughter Noelle who may or may not be gay, but does know about the side business along with every ot ...more
Betty Mccook hosack
A great who done it.. Usually I can guess the outcome but this one I wasn't able to guess the killer, Sophie Littlefield keeps you turning pages. I am glad to have another found an author I enjoy. Stella is a remarkable investigator even if profession is somewhat unconventional I enjoyed how one law and order and the other illicit person can still come together. A fun read cannot really elaborate on story without giving the story away. Just can say if like thrillers this one is good. Now I will ...more
Linda Aranda
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like spunky female characters, you'll love 50-year-old widow, Stella Hardesty. Some know her as the owner of a sewing notions store in Prosper, MO; while others call on her to dispatch their abusive husbands when all else fails.

Dispensing her own style of vigilante justice, Stella must steer clear of Sheriff Goat Jones, which is difficult at times, since he's kind of sweet on her.

Sophie Littlefield has penned 5 novels in the Bad Day for series. To learn more go to www.bookclubcompanion.co
Spuddie
As much as I enjoyed the first book in this series--and liked the second one--it was just too much 'more of the same' in this one and had lost the appeal...especially as the sexual tension/romance factor ramped up between the main character and the sheriff. Can we not ever have a mystery that doesn't devolve into pseudo-romance? Also? Just a li'l too much of that good ole girl thang going on...I read about a quarter of it and decided to just fondly remember the first one and not read on.
Susan
Aug 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-missouri
Stella is quietly running her (mostly illegal) business scaring off wife abusers, when an old acquaintance tries to blackmail her into disposing of a dead body. Determined to keep out of trouble, Stella refuses, only to find herself in trouble anyway when the acquaintance, her no-count brother, and the corpse all disappear. Sheriff Goat Jones, the subject of Stella's hottest dreams, knows she's up to no good, but he can't resist a feisty woman.
Erica Byrne
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The main thing I like about Littlefield's characters, especially the protagonist, is that they are realistic, as opposed to always being described as young and beautiful. The dialogue is life-like as well. These are conversations one would actually have. I only noticed one continuity error within the story, as well as a few regarding the weather patterns in the South. Overall, Littlefield seems to have a pretty adequate grasp of southern people.
Neil Mudde
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sophie Littlefield has writes about men who mistreat, or beat their wives, a very current problem than needs to be exposed, she has a hot affair with the Sheriff, and is not afraid to express herself how she feels about him.
The book is filled with characters most of which one can relate to, except for those wife beaters.
It is a fun book, dealing with animals, working on a lama farm, chasing animals, etc etc, a romp of a good read!
Jacqueline
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another entertaining outing with the mature, humerous Stella Hardesty. This one involves a slight misunderstanding on the part of one of Stella's clients, who thinks Stella's secret business of "attitude adjustment" for abusive men covers getting rid of inconvenient corpses. Even though Stella refuses the case, she ends up getting involved once the woman goes missing. Which of course further complicates the romance between Stella and Sheriff Goat Jones. Fun book!
Jami
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-n-easy
I enjoyed this book. I am now caught up on the series, and have found them to be light, humorous reads. What can be bad about a woman in her 50s who knows who she is and gets in a little trouble on the side for a good cause? Oh, and who also has the type of life where dead bodies keep turnin gup around her!
Caren Johnson Estesen
As good as the first two books in the series. The main character, Stella Hardesty, is entertaining as she searches for justice. Her philosophy on life and men are truly hilarious. And the author gives equal billing to the colorful supporting charcters, never making them too good, bad, or pathetic to be believable. This was a great read.
  • January Thaw
  • Hasta la Vista, Lola!
  • Some Like It Hot (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #3)
  • Little Black Book of Murder (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #9)
  • Life's a Beach (Hawaii Heat, #1)
  • The Cat Sitter's Nine Lives (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #9)
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • Ranchero (Nick Reid, #1)
  • Original Sin
  • Spook Squad (PsyCop, #7)
  • Cat Nap (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #2)
  • Freezer I'll Shoot (Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #3)
  • A Little Bit of Winter
  • Chicken Caccia-Killer (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #4)
  • Love is You  Me.
  • You Are Not My Friend, But I Miss You
  • Gone With a Handsomer Man
  • The Bus Ride
Called a “writing machine” by the New York Times and a “master storyteller” by the Midwest Book Review, Sophie Littlefield has written dozens of novels for adults and teens. She has won Anthony and RT Book Awards and been shortlisted for Edgar, Barry, Crimespree, Macavity, and Goodreads Choice Awards.
More about Sophie Littlefield...

Bad Day (5 books)
  • A Bad Day for Sorry (Bad Day, #1)
  • A Bad Day for Pretty (Bad Day, #2)
  • A Bad Day for Mercy (Bad Day, #4)
  • A Bad Day for Romance (Bad Day, #5)
“Oh, your mom is going to kill me. What was I thinking getting you practically murdered and on a school night too.” 6 likes
“He settled his big hands on her hips. He let them slide slowly down to cup her ass which she had jammed into a Spanx hide and seek high rise panty. Before slipping on the slinky purple faux wrap dress that her daughter had given her after surviving being held at gunpoint together gift the prior fall. Stella was fairly sure she would enjoy the sensation of Goat’s strong fingers kneading her flesh if it hadn’t gotten numb in its fierce polyester lycra prison hours ago.” 3 likes