Start by marking “All the World” as Want to Read:
All the World

All the World

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  5,238 Ratings  ·  666 Reviews
All the world is here. It is there. It is everywhere. All the world is right where you are. Now. This simple, profound, Caldecott Honor story is now available as a Classic Board Book.

Following a circle of family and friends through the course of a day from morning until night, this book affirms the importance of all things great and small in our world, from the tiniest she
Published March 22nd 2011 by Beach Lane Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about All the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the World

Lisa Vegan
The illustrations are beautiful, big and beautiful. The rhyme that makes up the story is excellent and the story expresses lovely sentiments about the world and about loved ones. The story of a (not perfect but wonderful) day with family, and maybe friends too, is told fully but with very few words. Made me a bit melancholy: those extended families look like fun! But, overall, it’s a very uplifting book. I could recommend this for children ages 2-8; it has wide appeal. Gorgeous and gift worthy.
amelia
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite children's book I've encountered as a mother so far. The message is even more beautiful than the (lovely) illustrations.
Kelly
Here's what I know. There is no such thing as perfect. Really. But this picture book by my friend Liz Garton Scanlon and Marla Frazee comes close. Liz has written a marvelous poem, but one that's hard to picture. Marla has drawn a lovely narrative, but one that doesn't make complete sense on its own. Together, those slightly imperfect pieces make a perfect whole (or as nearly as is humanly possible to create).

As I said in my mention last week, All the World is a work of epic beauty inside a pict
paula
One of the things I have always thought was odd about hard-line Waldorf School philosophy - and before you email me, let it be known that I have one marvelous little cousin and one fantastic grown-up niece who are Waldorf products, and I have no problem at all giving the Waldorfers some of the credit for how beautifully they have turned out so far - but as I said, one of the odder dicta of Waldorf founder Rudolf Steiner, and he had a LOT of dicta, guy was just Mr. Ruley Rulemonger, and some scho ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
No wonder this was a Caldecott honor book! The poem by Scanlon is beautiful--I wish they had printed the whole poem on one page at the end.
Frazee's pictures, done in colored pencil, are soft and lovely, describing a day on the seashore for several groups of people. In many of the scences, Frazee cleverly draws, way off in the distance, the next place that will be visited close-up in the succeeding pages. My favorite picture of all is that gorgeous 2-page spread, done in purple, gray, black and p
Miriam
Jan 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hip hippies
Recommended to Miriam by: NYT
Shelves: picture, realism
I was surprised that this was published so recently; it really reminded me of the earth-lovin' hippie kid books my parents' friends used to give me when I was small -- only updated so the people would be more in-fashion.

I'm not sure the short, rhyming text and illustrations went too well together. The pictures had lots of details that I wanted to spend more time examining, but then the rhythm of the poem was lost.

It's cute, though, and kids may enjoy looking at other families' daily activities.
Jeanette
May 17, 2010
Natalie
I just threw up a rainbow
Alex Ward
Great illustrations, but I think the topic is so generic that it doesn't really have anything to say about anything?
Jayme Prisbell-Hultman
All the World, by Elizabeth Garton Scanlon and illustrated by Marla Frazee, is a picture book geared toward children (male and female)in grades K-2. This peaceful story begins with two kids digging at the beach. Rapidly through poetic form and rhythm the world opens to include family and friends. As the day evolves, lives begin to intertwine with one another allowing the reader to see the story travel from the beach to the market to the fields, churches, parks, restaurants, and back to the home ...more
Luann
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember once when I was little having a discussion with a friend about whether "all the world" was bigger than "the whole wide world." I don't remember which one we finally decided was bigger, but I thought of that conversation as I read this great picture book by Liz Garton Scanlon. What does "all the world" mean? The concept may seem ultra-simple, but it is the type of thing some kids wonder about. I love the conclusion reached, that "All the world is everything / Everything is you and me / ...more
Jim Erekson
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book blows me away. The debt Frazee owes to Virginia Lee Burton is deep. But this book made me think Burton had died and been reincarnated with a wisdom from looking at the intervening 45 years since her passing in 1968. The expansive double page spreads are up there with the best of Burton's compositions(Life Story is probably my favorite for this).

Once again, there is a kind of switching between complementary and counterpoint illustrations in this book that is unusual for today's author-
Kristine Hansen
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, poetry, picture-book
Amidst the muddled message of the book (which IS muddled, the meaning never quite comes clear) are some of the best illustrations I've seen in a long time, in this book that (finally a publisher GETS it) is a size where you can really just dive in and enjoy the illustrations.

There's diversity in the pictures, that mirrors the message well. I love the scenes, the settings. I find myself wanting to visit this village, this place, and join in with these happy people who are my neighbors so that I m
Melissa
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rll538
From seashore to garden to treetop to home, this lovely poem gives us a fun recreation of a day and insight into what the world is all about, with the final message that "Hope and peace and love and trust...All the world is all of us". Liz Garton Scanlon leads us through from morning to night with a fun and fast paced rhyme that combines single words in succession with full sentences describing everything from climbing a tree to eating dinner and showing us that into each day a little rain may f ...more
Ziwei Cheng
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a poetry book, telling people all over the world’s view, including beach, ocean, farm, garden, woods, road, street, sky, rainy day, cold or hot day, and windy day. All different kinds of weather, environment, light and dark. The author connects them to become a whole view. And then he composes a poem.
This is really a beautiful book because all the views are so pretty and so beautiful. Each view has their own background color to represent its features. It’s really a good book and
Jana Giles
This is a beautiful story. I would use this book to teach primary grades about the world and different places. It shows an ocean, garden, diner, and different places that a child might go. The images create a beautiful scene that children could connect to. All the World talks about different things you would see in a specific environment such as birds. It also talks about how you feel when you are somewhere. The words sound beautiful when read aloud. I would teach about community and environment ...more
Heidi
2010 Caldecott Honor Book
Ages 2-8
Usually I think Frazee’s illustrations of people are somewhere in between Precious Moments and Little Orphan Annie, but in this lovely and poetic book, they have a hippie edge to them. Vignettes of children and adults digging in the sand, exploring, eating, and sitting by a fire alternate with double-wide, day-to-night, sun-to storm, beautiful and sweeping panoramas. Scanton’s poem and Frazee’s illustrations pair perfectly to create the impression of a lazy famil
Lu Benke
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations in this book are phenomenal! The large size of the book does justice to the expansive feel for the double-paged spreads. My first inclination was to categorize this as a mood book because of the poem text. But Frazee's illustrations have created a storyline visually connected to her handlettering of the words. The development of personality for the pictured characters, the building tension and the day's end resolution made the day a story unto itself.
Judy
Hope and peace and love and trust
All the world is all of us

The kids recognize this as being the same art as in Seven Silly Eaters so they look for the silly eaters. Of course, they aren't there, so we agreed that maybe the kids in this story are cousins of the silly eaters. I must admit that I let the pictures tell the story and we study all the things the family does (no electronic gadgetry!). I add the words when they feel appropriate.
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
A book that truly celebrates the beauty in our world. Two small children navigate their ever-widening understanding of life through a marvelous day at the beach spent with family. Sentimental prose and the vibrant, breathtaking illustrations characteristic of the incomparable Marla Frazee combine to form the perfect gift for a young child, a friend, or just about anyone who could use a smile as they turn the pages of this sure-to-be classic.
Sarah Beth
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alice-s-books
I bought this book on a whim for my daughter's collection and it quickly became my favorite (she prefers books about owls but she does like this one. 14 month olds. What can you do.)

The pictures are gorgeous, and the message is so wonderful and sweet and makes me tear up when I read it. Hope and peace and love and trust, all the world is all of us. Exactly the message I want to give to my daughter these days. I'll definitely be giving it to friends for their babies, too!
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bean-books, picture
Just beautiful.
Note for storytellers - I had a serendipitous moment while reading this book to my daughter. This book can be sung almost perfectly to the tune of "Skip to my Lou." I tried it out during storytime - one of the moms strummed along on her guitar while I "sang" the book. It worked beautifully; the kids were spellbound by the pictures, words AND the song.
Kathleen Ferrel
All the World Children ages 2-5 would love this book for its rhyme and repetition. The story is very symbolic in telling how every thing and every place in the world is connected. This book is from the Caldecott Awards list.

KF
Kellie Eckert
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libs-642
One of my new favorites! All the World by Elizabeth Garton Scanlon, illustrated by Marla Frazee is a 2010 Caldecott Honor Book. The book is written as a poem and could be used in a unit on poetry with grades 1-3. The poem is of love and family and is accompanied by beautiful watercolors that exude peace and love.
Stephanie
I might be in the minority here, but I thought this book was just okay. The illustrations are stunning and I enjoyed the rhyming. Other than that though, I thought it was a bit dull. It's a nice lesson to teach children, but I prefer stories and this one had no story line.
Alison
This was a nice read. I enjoyed how its story spanned throughout the world. I would use this in my class to show students that there are other countries and ethnicity out there. I would also use this to build my students' word strategies skills.
Kirsten
Everything about this book is gorgeous -- the illustrations, the wonderfully rhythmic rhyming text, and the message: "All the world is all of us." I must be emotional this morning because it totally choked me up.
Alice
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book I was told I should read. I liked it but I didn't love it. The story is sweet and simple but I don't care for the illustrations. It was good enough...but wouldn't mark it as a favorite!
April
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a sucker for beautiful, colorful illustration. Pretty sure I love this book more than my kids do.
Cass Mabbott
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time I've seen people of color going to a farmer's market! A small step, but a step nonetheless.
Symmetrical Form 1 1 Sep 23, 2014 05:01PM
  • My Garden
  • Noah's Ark
  • The House in the Night
  • The Red Book
Liz Garton Scanlon is the author of numerous beloved books for young people, including the highly-acclaimed, Caldecott-honored picture book All the World, illustrated by Marla Frazee, and her debut novel for middle grade readers, The Great Good Summer, as well as The Good-Pie Party; Happy Birthday, Bunny!; Noodle & Lou, and several others. Ms. Scanlon is also a poet, a teacher and a frequent & ...more
More about Liz Garton Scanlon...