Start by marking “Spurgeon v. Hyper-Calvinism” as Want to Read:
Spurgeon v. Hyper-Calvinism

Spurgeon v. Hyper-Calvinism

C.H. Spurgeon (1834-1892) is best-remembered today for the remarkable ministry he exercised in London during the Victorian era. His influence was incalculable. Thousands listened to his preaching every week, while hundreds of thousands throughout the world later read his sermons in published form. A man of great natural gifts, charm and wit, Spurgeons master passion was ev ...more
Published April 1st 1996 by Banner of Truth (first published June 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Spurgeon v. Hyper-Calvinism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spurgeon v. Hyper-Calvinism

Jeremy Lee
Excellent! This book if more widely read would help to dispel many mischaracterizations of Reformed believers.
Gordy
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All thinking followers of Christ.
Recommended to Gordy by: Cliff College
This is a fantastic book! Spurgeon was a Calvinist and not afraid to admit it, rather he was keen to advocate the doctrines. In his view Spurgeon simply believed the Bible! This belief included the commission to preach the gospel and freely offer Christ to everyone. The book is a great book to smash the thinking of modern non-calvinists who call us all "Hyper-Calvinists" showing complete ignorance in the subject.Of course it must be said that for Spurgeon and all true calvinists that it is the g ...more
Michael Stilley
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So helpful.
Tom Brennan
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Murray knows his English Protestants. Here he provides us an excellent little book with an insight into one of Spurgeon's by now largely forgotten battles, a tangle with hyper-Calvinism that occurred early in his ministry. In this book, Murray shows us how Spurgeon took a stand against the more egregious aspects of Calvinism, especially those that prevented an active pursuit of the sinner. I am not a Calvinist, and sometimes that bothers me when I read Spurgeon. This book reassures me that Spurg ...more
Robert Luff
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A pretty easy read that helped me better understand both the Truth and the error. Iain Murray is a dynamic yet thoughtful historian whom I would recommend to all Christians. This particular book is so short and easy to read that it would be a great first book for anyone interested in learning more about Calvinism, or as someone's first theological biography.
Logan Almy
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time
A.J. Jr.
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A much needed correction to the dreary error of hyper-Calvinism
Shawn Paterson
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was refreshing to my Calvinist soul. A critical book for the "young, restless, and Reformed," as well as anyone who adheres to Calvinist soteriology. Reveals hidden tendencies within our thinking and gospel proclamation that lean toward an unbiblical and ultra-Calvinist paradigm. Deals with the facts of Spurgeon's earliest controversy over hyper-Calvinism, as well as the theological topics of the universal gospel invitation, the warrant of faith, human responsibility (in relation to Go ...more
Hong Che Hwee
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Daniel
This book is useful for understanding C. H. Spurgeon's battles with genuine hyper-Calvinism. The problem is that the author lumps high-Calvinism in with hyper-Calvinism, and thus assumes that anyone who denies that God sincerely loves and desires the salvation of the reprobate is a hyper-Calvinist. Like Spurgeon, Iain Murray delights in Paradox Theology as a cloak for the irrationality of his views. Neither man understood the difference between a mystery that is beyond full comprehension by huma ...more
Matt Chapman
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love this book and loved reading it again!

An account of Spurgeon's passionate defence of the universal gospel invitation. The warrant for responding to the gospel is not a man's feelings or his sense of being elect, but simply the invitation to come to Christ. 'Whosoever will may come and God will in no ways cast out any who come and take refuge in Christ.'

What warrant does the sinner have to believe that God will accept all those who trust in Christ, whoever they are and however black their s
Mark A Powell
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
It is human nature to take any biblical truth and twist it to either extreme. Murray, whose “The Forgotten Spurgeon” dealt with the famous preacher’s Ariminian conflict, now visits Spurgeon’s battle with the opposite extreme—hyper-Calvinism. Many in Spurgeon’s day refused to extend the gospel to the lost, an error he counters with four Scriptural truths, which Murray details in these pages. This short work is valuable for both its historical record and its theological astuteness.
Michael
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The more I read about Spurgeon the more I grow to like and admire him. Far from the kind of guy you might have thought or been taught he was, this book shows more of him as a man totally reliant on God and standing alone, even in a great controversy surrounding his beloved doctrines of Grace. Murray does an excellent job again in presenting a biography not just about a man, but God working through a man.
Lily-joseph Jo
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is a great book defending true Calvinism against Hyper-Calvinism by presenting Spurgeon's view on this controversy. Every Christian who admires Spurgeon and oppose Calvinism should take time to read it to find out how Spurgeon viewed Calvinism as a five-point Calvinist.
Matthew
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Spurgeon strikes a biblical balance between divine sovereignty and human responsibility, never denying either. He brings great wisdom for both tracks. I'm grateful for men who say, I don't understand how they work together, but I will preach them because they are in the Word.
Thomas Kuhn
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me understand a lot of particulars in Calvinistic theology during a time where I was in need of gentle correction in my theology. Really good and practical explanation of the difference between Calvinism and Hypers.
Matt Crawford
Jul 30, 2016 rated it liked it
The book is 3 parts. One part brief biography. One part theological case study. And one part objections to the bias.
Mike Dixon
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good book overall, but not stellar. I do love reading Iain Murray, and look forward to reading more of his works.
Iain Hamill
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-study
Definitely a book from the meatier end of the buffet of 'modern' Christian literature. Well written though and I mostly agree with Murray and (conveniently!) Spurgeon.
Jenny Carr
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Very informative book. It made a lot of the distinctions of hyper Calvinism clearer.
Eli
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
An excellent book, which dispels many caricatures of Calvinism, and sets a sound and Biblical course for theology and ministry. I admire Charles Spurgeon greatly, and thank God for his life.
Byron Chesney
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book with lots of insight on Spurgeon's thoughts of Calvinism and Hyper-Calvinism. Very interesting history of the 19th Century church and the popular preachers during that time period.
Douglas Wilson
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great.
Bebemiqui Bolt
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very good author...makes the whole controversy interesting.
Dec 26, 2013
  • Reverberation: How God's Word Brings Light, Freedom, and Action to His People
  • Pierced for Our Transgressions: Rediscovering the Glory of Penal Substitution
  • The Letters of Samuel Rutherford
  • C. H. Spurgeon Autobiography: The Early Years, 1834-1859
  • The Hidden Smile of God: The Fruit of Affliction in the Lives of John Bunyan, William Cowper, and David Brainerd (The Swans Are Not Silent, #2)
  • Debating Calvinism: Five Points, Two Views
  • Father, Son, & Holy Spirit: Relationships, Roles, & Relevance
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • Willing to Believe: The Controversy Over Free Will
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • The King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust the Modern Translations?
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • Why the Reformation Still Matters
  • The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
  • Fool's Gold?: Discerning Truth in an Age of Error
  • An Introduction to Systematic Theology: Prolegomena and the Doctrines of Revelation, Scripture, and God
  • George Whitefield: The Life and Times of the Great Evangelist of the Eighteenth-Century Revival - Volume I
Iain Hamish Murray is a British pastor and author. He was educated in the Isle of Man and at the University of Durham before entering ministry in 1955. He served as assistant to Martyn Lloyd-Jones at Westminster Chapel (1956–59) and subsequently at Grove Chapel, London (1961–69) and St. Giles Presbyterian Church, Sydney, Australia, (1981–84). In 1957 he and Jack Cullum founded the Reformed publish ...more