Start by marking “Remède mortel” as Want to Read:
Remède mortel

Remède mortel

3.6  ·  Rating Details ·  8,426 Ratings  ·  816 Reviews
Une clinique new-yorkaise hautement sécurisée. Un médecin qui se suicide. Des patients sauvagement assassinés. Coïncidences ? Complot ? Et si l'annonce prochaine d'une extraordinaire découverte médicale avait déclenché cette vague meurtrière ? Sara Lowell, jeune journaliste très en vue, mène l'enquête.
Mais ses révélations pourraient bien faire d'elle la prochaine victime
Published September 15th 2011 by Belfond (first published September 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Remède mortel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remède mortel

Suzanne
Jan 03, 2016 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I’m aghast. I’ve forgotten to review a book. A Mister Coben book, I might add! Loved this as much as any of his others, but not so much the medical theme. He loves his all star all American basketball, doesn’t he?!

This was an interesting one, a missing protagonist, a beautiful heartbroken wife/model/business woman at the top of her empire, a cop best friend making sure she’s ok without him.

Largely set in Sydney, which was a fun addition and at the start of this one HC states his apologies for h
Norma
Nov 09, 2016 Norma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is only my second novel that I have read by Harlan Coben and it won't be my last. I was a little bit apprehensive in reading this one as the author wrote a letter at the beginning of the book warning the reader to put it down or return it if they have not read any of his more recent work. Well that just piqued my interest and I needed to know what my opinion of it would be. I wasn't disappointed it was an enjoyable read that grabbed my attention right away.

It was a fast-paced, quick and ea
Donna
Jun 13, 2017 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
I listened to the Audio narrated by Scott Brick, who I love. In the author's note at the beginning, Harlan Coben pretty much apologizes for this book. So I thought, OH NO, but I actually liked this one. I like Harlan Coben's books...the only one that didn't fare well in my reviews was the one he actually narrated himself...not good.

This book was definitely dated, but it was published in 1991 after all. This book takes hits of that nature in other reviews. He had some great twists though and it
Bill Garrison
Oct 26, 2011 Bill Garrison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Coben is easily one of my favorite authors. The joy of discovery I felt while reading books like NO SECOND CHANCE and THE INNOCENT is something I hope for every time I read a book by a new author. Unfortunately, this early book by Coben is not really worth reading. Coben says as much in the intro when he urges readers to put the book away if they've never read his books before. Why? Because it is so bad, you probably won't finish it.

Knowing how good Coben was, and enjoying his other rereleased e
Brenda
Jul 22, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller lovers
I loved this one! Thought it was a new release, and didn't realize it was a re-release until I read the letter from Harlan Coben at the very beginning of the book.

Sara and Michael were a celebrity couple..Sara a top reporter for NewsFlash and Michael a top basketball player for the New York Knicks. Their good friend, Dr Harvey Riker, was in charge of the clinic which was looking for a miracle cure to AIDS. But things were going wrong...the patients who were showing up as cured, were being murder
Mark Chisnell
So, I guess three stars is a little at odds with the title of the review, and it reflects my initial puzzlement with the book. Coben says in his intro that it's a very early book, and a bit rough in places... so why publish?

I didn't really finish it, I skipped through the last 20% to check what happened, and that's pretty serious. The book's characters aren't terribly real, the plot twist is a little hackneyed, the writing is average and some of the political stuff is self-indulgent...

But. And i
Katz Nancy from NJ
I beggan reading Harlan Coben with his breakout book Tell No One. Wow! I found a new author whom I followed with each successive stand alone book he wrote. Then one day, very out of character for me, I read Long Lost,the newest book in the Myron Bolitar series. I have since began the series from the first book and look forward to each title in the series. Recently I came across a Coben book, Miracle Cure, which was written over 20 years ago and had not read. While I enjoyed it, it lacked the sar ...more
Deb
Oct 15, 2011 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A doctor is working on finding a cure for Aids. His patients are getting better but are being killed by a serial killer. This book brought up some major problems the world has now and one of them is money and where it should be allocated. If you are working on a cancer cure and you lose millions of grant money to Aids research you might question the decisions that are made. This is the quote I liked from this book: "You see: focus can be a dangerous thing. your view of the world narrows. You gro ...more
LATOYA SAUNDERS
Torhild
Not as good as his later work, but definitely worth reading for Harlan Coben fans.
Jim
Jan 04, 2011 Jim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When an author is just starting out, rejected manuscripts are expected. When the day arrives when an author makes it big, and publishes one bestseller after another, publishers sometimes go back to earlier works that were initially rejected and publish them. Sometimes these earlier works are gems, and we are pleased that they can finally reach a mass audience.

But sometimes the reason that early works were not published is because they were awful. They were the necessary homework required of an a
Mary
Jan 25, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical
I can always count on Coben to deliver a story that will grab me and hold on tight until I finish it. This book, written in 1991, delivered for me. As a liberal reading the book for the first time in 2014, it might be hard to understand the apparent lunacy of the politicians, religious leaders and researchers in the book, but they all seemed real to me. Perhaps part of the reason is that I remember when the AIDS epidemic hit. I remember the struggle to get it recognized as a disease that could k ...more
Gary
Dec 01, 2012 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good novel from a young Harlan Coben. Maybe not his best work because he does improve but certainly a great read.
Helen Beesley
Jul 20, 2015 Helen Beesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Coben...moves quickly, suspenseful, and really didn't see the ending coming....
Lorna
Jan 09, 2014 Lorna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fast reading, but you can tell it was one of his first works.
Eric
This one is a biblio-turd. Coben's later books are much better.
Emily Frazier
Jul 19, 2017 Emily Frazier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book. Coben is surely one of my favorites. Keeps me on my seat and guessing the whole time!
Sammie Bennett
Definitely not one of my favorites of Coben's book but my edition did come with a letter at the beginning explaining that it wasn't one of his favs either.

Still a huge Harlan Coben fan - a must-read author for any mystery/thriller reader.
Priyam Gopani
Jan 12, 2013 Priyam Gopani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have started reading all of Harlan Coben books...aiming to be like the biggest fan ever ! Because seriously, his books are simply amazing...they take me to a totally different world...a world of lies and deception...WITH JUSTIFICATION! Coben's characters never deceive without reason..they always have an excellent reason for lying...for deceiving..for disappearing...and even for murdering!

'Miracle Cure' is Coben's second book after 'Play Dead' but it is my 8th or something...and to be fair, I h
Muyiwa
Jan 02, 2012 Muyiwa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miracle Cure is a book revolving around a Couple. The Man, Micheal Silverman, is a renown basketball player with the NY Nicks and his wife, Sara Lowell, is a popular TV Network news reporter. Their family, friends and acquaintances all seem to be connected to a conspiracy involving serial murders, lies, suicides and other such gruesome acts all apparently related to a top secret AIDS clinic.

Miracle Cure is an old book having first been published in 1991. It was brought back into print last year
Clarabel
Oct 20, 2014 Clarabel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-killer
C'est un Harlan Coben vintage que l'on découvre, avec ce roman écrit en 1991 mais publié vingt ans après. Personnellement j'ai trouvé son avant-propos assez hypocrite : « Si vous n'avez jamais ouvert un de mes livres, arrêtez-vous tout de suite. » prévient-il, sous prétexte d'excuser son œuvre de jeunesse, qu'il n'a jamais corrigée.

L'histoire, donc, nous renvoie aux heures sombres de la découverte du Sida (New-York, fin des années 1980). La clinique privée du Dr Harvey Riker, en passe de trouve
LibraryCin

Sara is a reporter. She is married to pro-basketball player Michael. Her father is a doctor, researching cancer. Friends of Sara and Michael’s are researching AIDS and, though this has been kept a secret, they think they’ve found a cure. But, some of the cured patients are turning up tortured and murdered! One of the head doctors has committed suicide (though the reader knows at the start that he was also murdered), and there are financial and political concerns for the AIDS clinic.

Thi
Christine
Be aware that this is not a new book, but a re-release. While the book says "A Harlan Classic - Now Back in Print", I didn't notice that until after I had purchased the book. I focused on the description of the book which mentioned a beloved TV journalist and a basketball star facing a deadly disease and a serial-killer which sounded intriguing. I didn't realize the disease was AIDS and that the book was originally written in 1991 and was just re-released in 2011. Some of the characters opinions ...more
The Cats Mother
There's an unusual warning at the start of this, from the author, that if this is the first of his novels that you're reading, to put it down and read a later one first. It's an honest assessment that it's not that good - but if you persist, as I did, because I have already read and enjoyed a handful of his later books, you discover that it's not that bad either. It's just a rather cheesy medical thriller, which is now rather dated. NBA star Michael and TV reporter Sara are happily married and h ...more
Nicki
Aug 25, 2014 Nicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harlan Coben is a new author for me. Got to admit, I was a bit nervous when I read the disclaimer at the beginning of the book warning the reader to put it down if they have not read his more recent work yet. This is his second book, which had not been published at the time.
I decided to ignore it and read the book anyhow. The topic of a cure for AIDS sounded interesting to me, and I wanted to read Harlan Coben finally as I had been seeing his books around for a while.
Need not have worried. Thi
Karen
I was so wrong in my guess of who the murderer was, WOW! Well played Harlan Coben, well played.

At least with Cassandra I went from wanting her dead to glad she got what she deserved. She never did see that coming...karma b*tch.

I was right about Michael's situation and what was REALLY happening to him. How terrible and evil to make him go through all that...so f*cked up. So thrilled there were some happy endings.

Even though he opens up with this being his first book, I can see his writing style.
Erin
Oct 03, 2011 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I should have followed the instructions of the preface and not read it. I love Harlan Coben, he's one of my favorite mystery authors. I don't know the story behind this book, other than surmising that he wrote it 20 years ago and they just republished it as a "new release".... why? Why would you let them republish something you didn't think was up to par? I lost a bit of respect for the author over this one. I seem to be in the minority here, so maybe it's just me. Generally I enjoy picking up h ...more
Penny
Nov 01, 2011 Penny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coben-harlen
What a waste of my time. I love Coben. However, if I had bothered to read the "disclaimer" in the front of the book at my local grocery store, I may not have purchased it. This is a new "release" of his second novel copyrighted in 1991. Here are parts of a review that I've copied from fantascticfiction.com (and that I wholeheartedly agree with) follow:
"His new effort is an uneasy stew of contemporary American types..."; "These types and others are stirred into a pretty unbelievable story that ra
Joel Margolese
An early Harlan Coban book which is, like his later books, fast paced. It's also populated with characters who were progenitors of Myron Bolitor and friends. But sadly, the plot wasn't nearly as believable as his later books. The twists not quite as unexpected and the characters not as deep or as interesting. It's a fun, quick read, but only worth reading if you've read a lot of Coben's books and want to experience his complete oeuvre.
And luckily, Mr. Coban agrees. In his forward, he says, go r
Mussy Schold
May 25, 2014 Mussy Schold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who is good and who is evil? , Who is the killer, who is not the killer but the perfect storm that feeds the killer? Doctors, a journalist, a pro basketball player, a US Senator, a father, a husband, a couple of ex's, a bimbo sister, a hired killer, and a baby face lieutenant all make this a fun murder mystery. I would recommend Harlan Coben stories for those who enjoy an entertaining drama and murder mystery without the worries of characters who might tug at your heart.
Play Book Tag: Miracle Cure / Harlan Coben. 3.5 stars 1 6 Feb 06, 2017 09:03PM
  • Southern League: A True Story of Baseball, Civil Rights, and the Deep South's Most Compelling Pennant Race
  • King of Paine
  • Stone Rain (Zack Walker #4)
  • Mad Powers (Tapped In #1)
  • Son of Stone (Stone Barrington, #21)
  • Treasure Hunt (Wyatt Hunt, #2)
  • Death Benefit (Pia Grazdani #1)
  • Capitol Murder (Dana Cutler, #3)
  • The Crime Writer
  • Vigilante (Shane Scully, #11)
  • The Last Lie (Alan Gregory, #18)
  • Revelation (Book One of the Revelation Trilogy)
  • Don't Tell a Soul
  • Hemelen
  • The Hanging of Samuel Ash  (Hook Runyon #4)
  • 28 Pages
  • She Loves Me Not
  • Reckless (Ty Hauck, #3)
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
More about Harlan Coben...

“George reached Rama IV Road, he hailed a tuk-tuk, the native taxi of Thailand. A cross between a car and a scooter, the tuk-tuk had its good points—it was small, quick, used up next to no fuel, and was open-air. It also got crushed in an accident, had no headroom, and was open-air. The” 0 likes
“I guess so,” he said. “But there is still a lot that doesn’t make sense.” “Like what?” “Like why would Sanders do it? What does Sanders gain from the murders?” “He wipes out the evidence,” Sara replied. “No cured patients, no cure.” Max shook his head. “There have to be easier ways than going through all this Gay Slasher stuff. Like your father says, the press from the Gay Slasher has strengthened the clinic. More donations, more media support—even Markey couldn’t close them down anymore.” “So” 0 likes