Start by marking “Renewal” as Want to Read:
Renewal

Renewal (Renewal #1)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  491 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
In a post-collapse America, a young Reclamation Engineer is tasked with seeking and restoring farmland from dead suburban sprawl. On his first solo assignment, he encounters something that threatens to change everything he knows about the America of his generation.
Published May 1st 2011

To ask other readers questions about Renewal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Renewal

David Galloway
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
Renewal is a serialized postapocalyptic novel set in rural Tenneesee. The story is based on Terry, a young newly-graduated "reclamation engineer" who is tasked with finding out which suburban housing developments can be returned to farmland, which is more highly valued since the world fell apart around 40 years ago.

Very soon Terry meets Bill Carter, the leader of a hidden town that has existed within a few miles of Terry's neighborhood his entire life yet Terry has never heard of it. Bill befri
Kim Graves
Jun 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Wow, was this book preachy. I finished & gave the second book a try, hoping it would get better, but gave up halfway through. I know it's YA but it read like a very bad YA novel. Add the political preachiness and for me there was very little redeeming value. Disappointed since there were so many positive reviews.
Meghan Bauer
May 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wasn't super impressed. It was okay I guess. There were some errors, which is always off-putting.
Not a lot happened though. It seemed a bit...preachy. Bad America! Damn capitalists!
The most exciting parts for me were the flashbacks...or parts of them. After I found out what caused the breakdown I lost a bit of interest, there was no more mystery.
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
meh. i will not be reading the rest of the series of this. there were many editing errors and it wasn't that particularly well-written.
Pei
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!
Great pacing, believable characters, HUMAN.
Worth a read!
Kimmie
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Getting my backpack ready! Really, this was a quick read but it makes you really wonder if it could happen. I can't wait to read the next 10.
Michael
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
To start off, this is not a full-length book but the first of a ten-part series of short stories: it will take you less than an hour to read this one. If you read my other reviews, I seem to be on an end-of-the-world reading streak lately.

The author sets you into a futuristic (and believable) outlook of America several decades after a nuclear destruction of organized society, with frequent flashbacks / narrations of what happened immediately after to the surviving families. I could actually visu
Eric Tissot-dupont
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This story is totally believable. At some point, it would get me confused as if I was reading a book based on historical facts vs a fiction set in the future. Last time I remember that happened so vividly to me was Asimov's Fundation series. But don't get me wrong. Asimov's in a diferent category. He managed to do this to me for a story set thousands of years in the future, light years away from here. A real feat. With this book, I think the reasons that made me get so much into the story is bec ...more
Susan Kiernan-Lewis
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this after-the-bomb-drops story! It's first in a series (of six, I think.) The writing is straight-forward and evocative. It describes a world without our electronics and gadgets, our cars and communications. It also describes how we, as Americans, might react to total chaos and loss. (That part's not a pretty picture!) I love its heroes who give me hope that, if the worst ever did happen, America would rebuild stronger than ever--and I'm not just talking about our satellites or infrastru ...more
Felicia A
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
VERY promising start to an ongoing series. VERY promising. I liked it very much.

Great world-building to start this post-apocalyptic/renewal & rebuilding type of book. In fact, it would be totally awesome if the whole series started out with the flashback/retelling of how the current folks got where they are, as when we start, it has already happened. The retelling of the "event" by someone who lived through it is outstanding, and I would have liked to read a LOT MORE of that.

It's about 35 y
Jason
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a review of the entire Renewal series (1-10)

I love good stories. Don't get me wrong, huge epics with sub plots and complicated undercurrents are great, but I really love good stories. Characters you grow attached too and relationships that seem genuine. Stories you just don't want to put down. And stories that make you a little sad when they end.

Stories like these are often hard to find, but once I get my hands on one you made a fan for life. Their are very few authors capable of crafti
Katherine
Apr 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Terry Shelton is a 20-year old Reclamation Engineer in/around Tennessee. This takes place around 40-50 years after a series of nuclear bombs are detonated in America, some resulting on EMPs that knock out all electricity. The government does not recover and smaller county and state governments are running the show. The rich people in the areas have created basically a feudal system for their own benefit. Although electricity has been restored, it is unreliable at best. However, many people still ...more
Julie
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Likeable main character, a young boy (20's) showing my age here. Out on his own for the first time. He is learning the world is not black and white and actually in this world there are places that are nothing like where he grew up. This is a short story a small taste of what is to come. There are several more parts published already, and I need to get back to this world! Tty it, if you like apocalyptic fiction, you will like this first bit of what seems to be a great novel.
Greg
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I like this novella length story. It's a cautionary tale of a post-apocalyptic US, almost a history of a future breakdown. I thought it well written and thought provoking.

This reminds me a little of John Ringo's style of a story, I'd say kind of "right" leaning(individual freedom, personal responsibility, not big gov, don't depend on the Gov to save us but do it ourselves, etc).

The story was too short and hard to put down (which I didn't...lol)
Ian
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting start to a series. It was a very quick red and worthwhile. The survivalist aspect is interesting and thought provoking. I wouldn't disagree with other reviewers that it can come across a preachy. I have to admit that living in Nashville and driving through Manchester / Coffee County on a regular basis, having the story set there is freakin weird.
Lyn5
Sep 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is an exciting one and well put together. The only bugbear was that I had to download it short episode by short episode with the corresponding charges each time. However, I would not have missed it and I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Chris
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
It's a story, not a novel. But it's a wonderful story, one that's continued through nine subsequent volumes. Unlike traditional post-apocalypse fiction, Perkins writes of a hopeful future. It's refreshing.
Anette Petersen
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia
Another dystopia book, well written but ....
The story of the end ofnthe world as we know it was much more interesting than the actual story about the future world, which actually encompassed just half the book, æeading up to another and another.... Sorry, but dont think I'll readmthe next one.
Melanie
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Post apocalyptic story like Walking Dead without the zombies because as any Walking Dead fan will tell you people are scarier than zombies.
Written as several novellas so load up your e-reader before getting on that plane.
Sara
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Decent little story.
Jeremy Jones
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enjoying this great series! Well done and fast paced. A great read!
Kate
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
The story kept my attention but the obviousness of the process pulled me out again. I would be interested to read this author's second series.
Rachel
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Makes me want to grow a small community and live off the land. Good story. I'll definitely read the next one.
Joshua
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I like the authors perspective on the problems in America. A simple story with a simple moral.
Charlotte Martin
Jun 10, 2013
  • Selection Event
  • Summer of the Apocalypse
  • Deep Winter
  • Apocalypse Law (Volume 1)
  • The Zona
  • Raft People
  • Plague War (Plague, #2)
  • Breakdown
  • Cracked Earth (The Journal, #1)
  • Dark Grid
  • Scavenger's War (The Marlowe Transmissions, #1)
  • One
  • A Land of Ash
  • The Mountain and The City, Part I
  • Deadlands
  • On The Third Day
  • Home (The Traveler, #1)
  • Apocalypse End (Reign of the Dead #2)
I was born two years before we landed on the moon, somewhere in the middle of Long Island. I was too young to remember much, except for the park ritual of spinning three times on a stump, the bee that flew down my throat, and getting my fingernails smashed off in a car door. Ok, that's not fair. I also remember when the mean kid across the street was run over by the mailman.

I currently live in Oly
More about J.F. Perkins

Renewal (10 books)
  • Echoes of the Breakdown (Renewal #2)
  • Your Basic Swiss Family (Renewal #3)
  • Down on the River (Renewal #4)
  • An Untimely Fall (Renewal #5)
  • Cold (Renewal #6)
  • When the Student is Ready (Renewal #7)
  • War Council (Renewal #8)
  • Delay Tactics (Renewal #9)
  • Blind Force (Renewal #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99