Start by marking “Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 1 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 1 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga, #1)

Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 1

(The Parasol Protectorate Manga #1)

The life of a spinster in Victorian London isn't an easy one on the best of days, but such a life becomes infinitely more complicated when said spinster is "soulless" - a preternatural bridging the gap between the natural and supernatural worlds. Miss Alexia Tarabotti has this unique distinction, and when she is assailed at a formal gathering by a rove vampire, an encounte ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Yen Press

To ask other readers questions about Soulless, please sign up.

Start your review of Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 1 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga, #1)
Cristina Monica
The art is amazing!

Of all the different manga that I’ve read in my life, I must say that I haven’t seen many having these kind of beautiful graphics that you just want to look at over and over again.

The main characters :

Lord Akeldama

And professor Lyall
description

There were some characters that I didn't imagine being pictured that way, for example Lord Maccon, but I got used to their appearance and now find that it works pretty well with their personality.

The setting :

The story takes place in an
Lindsey Rey
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2015, manga
I love this series so much! I can't get enough of Gail Carriger! Also Lord Akledama <3 <3 <3 ...more
Cora Tea Party Princess
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cora by: Steph
5 Words: Steampunk, vampires, werewolves, family, attraction.

Soulless is one of my favourite books, and I actually loved this manga take on the story.

I think my love for this had a lot to do with the fact that I had already read the book. A lot of the characters didn't look how I imagined, but now I can't imagine them any other way.
Lois Bujold
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This review stands for the first two volumes in what I hope will be a continuing and concluding manga series that adapts five original novels.

I think this story made a better manga than it did a novel. For one thing, manga plots usually are deeply goofy and don't make a whole lot of linear sense, so this slots right in to the expectations of the form. Some of the overfill viz genre-blending in the novels seemed to drop out in the simplifications needed to change media, and the artwork generally
Cyndi
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a graphic novel based on one of my favorite novels. I liked it except...well, the characters were drawn kinda wrong. Our heroine is supposed to be a bit plain, not the adorable girl in this book. Our hero is supposed to be larger. And side characters are drawn to look adorable but sloppy.
The art was nice, but it missed the characters.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Dayum. I love the artwork in this book. Heck, I feel like I need to go back and re-read Soulless (my thoughts) because I think I might have been way too hard on the original book version now after enjoying this so much. I linked my review for the book because I'm not going to refresh my review for the story...the manga/graphics are a condensed/reworked version of the original, so my thoughts about the story itself are in my review for the print book.

Seriously. I wish that I could share some of
Lauren
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Hehehehehe, what silly entertaining risque fun!

I absolutely loved Soulless: The Manga which surprised me as I have tried to read the original novel but I just couldn't get into it. I'm not sure whether it was the writing style or the humour but something failed to translate for me :/

Anyway, the manga version is brilliant! The illustrations are superb (if a little raunchy at times) and the banter is hilarious and had me chuckling throughout.

Talking about the illustrations...what is up with Alex
Hannah
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As an adaptation, this is excellent.

All the text is verbatim from the book, but the art and dress styles give it a unique flair that really emphasizes the steampunk elements that felt glossed-over in the book and brought the humor to the forefront.

In a few places, I found myself filling in gaps with information I knew from the novel, so I'm not entirely certain how effective the plotting would be for a new reader. You might want to read at least the first novel first. Highly recommended noneth
daisy
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
3.5-3.75ish stars?

A quick, fun, easy read tbh - much like I remember the novel being! The art is super clean and crisp and lovely, which always helps to bolster up my rating whenever I read manga/graphic novels. A much-needed breath of fresh air as I trudge my way through The Stand.
Sanaa
[5 Stars] I loved the artwork and it made me giggle like crazy!
Amber J
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adults and up. Lovers of vampires, werewolves, steampunk, paranormal, victorian times, romance.

Loved it. I loved the original books sooo much, and as soon as I saw there was a manga adaption I knew I had to read it. I loved having a visual to one of my favorite series. I have all three that were made and will be reading the next 2 as well.

Rinou
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought it for my daughter, but my curiosity prompted me to read it even though I didn't care for the novel. And I liked it way better! Everything supposed to be funny but which only annoyed me in the novel are perfect in comic. The art is good (well, apart from Alexia's breasts, which are very big and are always way too much out of her dresses to be realistic), and the plot is well condensed to fit in one volume.
Sheila Beaumont
This graphic version of Gail Carriger's "Parasol Protectorate" series is the best manga adaptation I've read. I loved the artwork. I never imagined the werewolf Lord Conall Maccon as he's depicted here, but he really is drawn just right. It's a good idea to read the five original novels first. Having read them, I think I enjoyed reading the manga just as much. There are three in the series, and I have the other two, so I'll be reading them soon.
Wiebke (1book1review)
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's a really cool adaptation of the story. I of course didn't imagine Manga characters when I read it, but it gives the world a suitable look. I was only sad to see that they only colored the first few pages. That looked really cool!
Mrs. Elaine
My first manga and I loved it! My only quarrel was the way Alexia was drawn. Don't get me wrong, she was very beautiful, but I had always pictured her very rubenesque rather then slender AND well endowed. Maccon was very manly and handsome. Lyle and Akeldama were just right!
Terence
I didn't realize that this was a manga-ized version of the Parasol Protectorate series when I picked it off the shelf at the library. Those novels keep popping up on my recommendations screen but I've never been interested in following them, and I'm still not. However, the story is perfect fodder for a comicbook/manga format.

As a rule, I do not like the anime/manga aesthetic but the artist here has hit a perfect balance between the comicbook art I'm more used to (and generally like) and manga. T
Allie
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've had the novel version of this on my wish list for ages, but haven't been able to get my hands on a copy; so when I saw this manga version at my library, I snatched it up. I liked it! Good story, cool Steampunk elements, and absolutely gorgeous artwork. Yay!
Beth
Mar 08, 2017 marked it as graphic-novel
Shelves: steampunk
This comics version of the first volume of Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series is a cute, charming version of the story. Adaptation artist REM did a good job squeezing a 350-page book into a single graphic novel, choosing fast-moving, funny, mildly erotic, or emotional scenes. Now and then the pacing feels cramped, with too much information in too little space, but most of the time it's a smooth and quick read.

Alexia herself is rather more "plush" than I pictured her while reading the no
Sophie
I loved, loved, loved the Soulless novel and I was unbelievably excited about the manga. They finally got them in our local bookstores and read it on the commute home.

The Good Stuff:
I liked the round and organic feel of the art, it didn't have that overly sharp and angular art that I'm not too fond of in a lot of manga.The backgrounds were gorgeous, and it was lovely to see little steampunk touches here-and-there, like bizarre bikes in the the park, dirigibles randomly in the sky, The Vampire H
Ren Puspita
I really love Soulless.. Its one of my top ten favorite read on 2011
And when I know Soulless made into manga, well,before read novel,I'm a huge comic/manga fans. So, this one is def must buy for me.

The art is pretty good. Love how Rem portrayed Alexia, Conall, Ivy Hesselpeny, Lord Akeldama, Countess Nadasdy, Loontwill family and others. And... she draw Alexia very well. With curves. And big breast. Now, now, I admit I love women that have curves, especially in manga that usually dominated with
Caro
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, read-2012
I'm usually a bit sceptical about manga/graphic-novel adaptions of books I liked. Will the characters look the way I thought they would? Will the new adaption have the same feeling the book did? Will it be horrible?

I was especially sceptical about Soulless, the Manga, since the Alexia on the cover looks much too girlish and "cute" to be the real Alexia. I was however proved wrong in my assumptions. REM did an awesome job with this manga. Although the Cover Alexia doesn't really fit my image of t
Jaylee
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
This was absolutely adorable. They definitely played up the comedy of the book rather than the romance, although there was plenty of kissing and sexy scenes. They drew Conall as a tsundere!!! I almost died omg. :3 I will have to check out more of these manga adaptations of novels I loved... I always thought they were ridiculous. But it's a fun way to re-read a story you love without reading THE ENTIRE BOOK, you know? :)
Jennifer Bacall
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In general I am dis-interested in vampires and werewolves. That said, the quick wit, elegant setting, unexpected twists and action make this story completely engaging. Can't wait for more silver topped parasol adventures.
Evamaria
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
A very entertaining manga version of the already very amusing novel. As is the norm with mangas, everyone looked a bit young, but I really enjoyed the drawing style and thought the adaptation was very well done.
InfinitexLibrary
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, books-i-own
This was so much better than I thought it to be from the premise - reminded me a little of The Infernal Devices but with a more bad ass heroine. Definitely gonna hunt down the novels now.
Marguerite (M)
I read Soulless and Etiquette & Espionage and i was just plain bored both times. Why did I bother reading the manga adaptation?
to finish my challenge shhh

Anyway.
The art is okay. Lots of boobs, but pretty hair. I like pretty hair, i may have a bit of a fetish.
The story is... well is.
The characters are... soulless? I remember finding them uninteresting and pretty dull in the book, the feeling stays the same here. Meh.

PS : okay okay, i want a deadly umbrella too, it's quite classy. And i have very
Thenia
Beautiful art depicting a fun story.

It's been a while since I read the book and this manga was a great alternative format to get reacquainted with Alexia's world.

Looking forward to the next one!
ALPHAreader
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
‘Soulless’ is the Yen Press manga adaptation of the first book in Gail Carriger’s ‘Parasol Protectorate / Alexia Tarabotti’ steampunk paranormal series. Art and adaptation is by Rem, lettering by JuYoun Lee.

I love the recent trend of graphic novel adaptations. I really enjoyed Dabel Brothers ‘Mercy Thompson’ adaptation, and I especially loved Del Rey’s adaptation of Diana Gabaldon’s ‘The Exile’. Now, I know that lots book fans haven’t really embraced the graphic adaptations, for a number of rea
Julie Hayes
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Breakfast at the Loontwills’ table includes gossip gleaned from the newspaper, as well as a recap of the previous evening’s ball, which the young ladies attended. The paper reveals that a gruesome discovery was made in the library at that very same ball by an unnamed young lady. Funny, no one remembers any such incident. No one other than Alexia, that is. For she is the young lady in question, the recipient of an unprovoked attack by a starving vampire. Good thing that Alexia Tarabotti is more

• Everyone's Getting Married, Vol. 1
  • Marine Biology (San Andreas Shifters, #0.5)
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • Cells at Work!, Vol. 2
  • The Dark-Hunters: Infinity, Vol. 2 (Chronicles of Nick Manga #2)
  • The Dark-Hunters: Infinity, Vol. 1 (Chronicles of Nick Manga #1)
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • Black Bird, Vol. 9
  • Everyone's Getting Married, Vol. 2
  • Everyone's Getting Married, Vol. 3
  • The Dark-Hunters, Vol. 2 (Dark-Hunter Manga, #2)
  • Of Silk and Steam (London Steampunk, #5)
  • The Sumage Solution (San Andreas Shifters, #1)
  • No Groom at the Inn (Dukes Behaving Badly, #2.5)
  • Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1)
  • となりの怪物くん 3 [Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 3]
  • Black Bird, Vol. 8
  • Attack on Titan: Before the Fall, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan: Before the Fall Manga, #1)
Gail Carriger writes comedies of manners mixed with paranormal romance (and the sexy San Andreas Shifter series as G L Carriger). Her books include the Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School series. She is published in many languages and has over a dozen NYT bestsellers. She was once an archaeologist and is fond of shoes, octopuses, and tea. Join the Chirrup for sneak peaks of upcoming gigg ...more

The Parasol Protectorate Manga (3 books)
  • Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 2 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga, #2)
  • Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 3 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga, #3)