Start by marking “Created in God's Image” as Want to Read:
Created in God's Image

Created in God's Image

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  411 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
According to Scripture, humankind was created in the image of God. Hoekema discusses the implications of this theme, devoting several chapters to the biblical teaching on God's image, the teaching of philosophers and theologians through the ages, and his own theological analysis. Suitable for seminary-level anthropology courses, yet accessible to educated laypeople. Extens ...more
Published September 6th 1994 by Eerdmans (first published March 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Created in God's Image, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Created in God's Image

Josue Manriquez
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Aside from Hoekema's apparent belief that the universe is millions of years old, and apart from his apparent acceptance of psychologists and psychiatrists when counseling individuals, this is an excellent book! Those two issues that I disagree with are briefly mentioned as side notes. Everything else, I believe, is right on.
Jacob Aitken
This is a more basic text on the nature of man and sin than Berkouwer's works. It doesn't have the awe or hard-hittingness of Berkowuer, but it is much more accessible and more exegetical than Berkouwer's.

Hoekema gives a decent historical survey, though very incomplete. He accurately reads the theologians in question, with a particularly good section on Barth. He fails to point out, however, how Origenistic Barth's reading of the Fall is, but no matter.

Hoekema follows the typical “Man in Fourfol
Omar
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, 2012
An excellent theological treatment of the image of God in mankind. Chapter 5 alone is worth the price of the book. His treatment of sin is thoughtful and helpful. I picked this book up to help me with a sermon I was preparing and I ended up reading the whole thing.
Matt Galyon
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A tremendous introduction to the nature of the image of God and what it means for humanity to be created in that image. A great starting point for any who wish to pursue this topic.
Molly Hilbert
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a well-researched, knowledgeable book about the image of God and the nature of sin in man. We are all created in the image of God, but what does that look like, especially for those who are unbelievers? What does the Bible have to say about those who are unbelievers, but still manifest morals and still create good, beautiful works (such as art, music, and literature)? The study of the nature of man and of sin is sobering, but it is not until we begin to realize the depths of sin that we ...more
Mike Gorski
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hoekema, though firmly established in the reformed tradition, provides a framework for understanding biblical anthropology that neither parrots what has previously been written regarding the subject nor strays out of the bounds of biblical orthodoxy for the sake of novelty. Rather, he gives a very refreshing and compelling take on what the scriptures teach about the doctrine of man, appealing to the standard works of the past (Calvin, Bavinck, Berkhof, Berkouwer, etc.) yet by no means bound to t ...more
David
Jan 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
In all my years of study I've yet to come across a work that is so blatantly biased. Hoekema gives no attention to the Eastern Church's idea of man and based on his book you'd believe that between Ireneaus and Aquinas no theologian touched the subject.
He enjoys interpreting competing views in the most critical, technical, and literal way. But his own view is supposed to be so nuanced that this type of criticism is simply avoided.
If you're reformed and heavily influenced by Dutch reformers this
Andres Vera
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This is a great book that deals with various aspects of biblical anthropology. Hoekema establishes the basic tenants of a Christian understanding of man - created in the image of God, fallen and corrupted by sin, operating as a free and whole person. His historical survey on the image of God is a little dry, but once you make it past that, the rest of the book is a great resource for understanding the various aspects of theology that deal with how we were created, who we are by nature, how we ar ...more
Stephen Wolfe
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reformed theologian Anthony Hoekema successfully defends the theological anthropology of neocalvinism (also known as the Dutch Reformed tradition). He argues that man is a "psychosomatic unity" of body and soul, in contrast to the body/soul dualism brought to the Church from classical ("pagan") philosophy. His discussion on man as the image of God is top-notch, and he integrates the concept into classic neocalvinist biblical theology.

For those looking for a philosophical defense of the body/sou
Guillaume Bourin
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good volume. Chapter 1-5, focusing on the imago dei, are worth the price of the book. It is sad, however, that other topics are addressed too quickly (such as common grace). Hoekma denies the concept of a covenant of works/of creation, despite affirming Adam as a representative head (he doesn't use the word "federal head"). Nevertheless, this is a good and accessible introduction to Biblical anthropology.
Mark A Powell
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
What is it to be made in the image of God? The seminal work from Hoekema answers that question by exploring what the Bible says about our God-given human nature, designed to reflect His likeness. Hoekema is especially helpful when he reveals that the best way to define God’s image is not to compare ourselves with, say, animals but with Christ, the exact representation of God’s nature. Dated in places, lengthy in others, but altogether worthwhile.
Nathan
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nathan-library
My least favorite of Hoekema's triad of doctrinal studies (this, Saved by Grace, and The Bible and the Future), but still worthy of five stars. The writing is clean, readable, organized, and biblical. I found the description of man's threefold relationship (toward God, others, and nature) in chapter five particularly helpful. An excellent and helpful book all around.
Matt
Nov 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
We are a psycho-somatic unity, where body and soul can be distinguished but not separated. Death is the unnatural and temporary separation of them that will be remedied by the resurrection, which finally restores us in the image of God. Well written systematic theology.
Vincent Tanzil
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very good introduction on the subject. Easy to read and quite informative, though it is quite dated. Nonetheless, if you want a basic summary of classical reformed position on the doctrine, this is your book!
Chad
A helpful contribution to theological anthropology from a distinctively Reformed perspective.
Bob Ladwig
Dec 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent book exploring nearly every subject on the doctrine of man. I would go to this first on the subject, read it for my seminary class.
Shane Saxon
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Read it for a class. Solid content.
David
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Doctrine of Man taught from a Reformed theology. Very readible and well written. Suggest it for those wanting to study theology.
Justin
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent teaching on the subject.
Gary Morris
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fantastic read covering the impact and depth of the image of God upon all mankind. It gives a Christian anthropology within an expository volume.
Joseph Pieri
Sep 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
Some very good insights; it's basically a survey and overview of the issues from a reformed perspective.
Cho Yim
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was eye-opening as you don't naturally study what it means to be "created in God's image." Hoekma did a great job exploring the depths of what this means and its implications.
Wade
Aug 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
This is a very well written book on what it means to be created in God's image. It is very theological, so be aware that it is a bit tough to read.
Rocky Clark
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
The theology was strong. The writing was just boring (and I love to read meaty theology), & it didn't draw out many practical implications
Scott Ray
Very good look on what it means to be created in the image of God. and how sin affects that image.
amanda seymour
Chuck Freeman
Nov 24, 2014
Juanmuriango
Aug 23, 2015
  • The Person of Christ (Contours of Christian Theology, #7)
  • Willing to Believe: The Controversy Over Free Will
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • The Cross and Salvation: The Doctrine of Salvation
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • The Doctrine of God (Contours of Christian Theology, #1)
  • Salvation Belongs to the Lord: An Introduction to Systematic Theology
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • Not the Way It's Supposed to Be: A Breviary of Sin
  • A Case for Amillennialism: Understanding the End Times
  • The Temple and the Church's Mission: A Biblical Theology of the Dwelling Place of God
  • Christian Theology
  • Concise Theology
  • The Christ of the Covenants
  • The Inspiration and Authority of the Bible
  • Reformed Dogmatics Volume 3: Sin and Salvation in Christ
  • The Church (Contours of Christian Theology, #4)
  • Old Testament Exegesis (3rd Edition)
Anthony A. Hoekema (1913-1988) was a Christian theologian of the Dutch Reformed tradition who served as professor of Systematic theology at Calvin Theological Seminary for twenty-one years.

Hoekema was born in the Netherlands but immigrated to the United States in 1923. He attended Calvin College (A.B.), the University of Michigan (M.A.), Calvin Theological Seminary (Th.B.) and Princeton Theologica
More about Anthony A. Hoekema...