Start by marking “Probably Pistachio: Probability” as Want to Read:
Probably Pistachio: Probability

Probably Pistachio: Probability

(MathStart Level 2)

During the course of one terrible day, Jack learns all about such probability terms as "possible, likely", and "certain". Learning to analyze data and make predictions helps kids make good decisions -- but will it get Jack pistachio ice cream for dessert? Full-color illustrations.
Published December 25th 2000 by Turtleback Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Probably Pistachio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Probably Pistachio

Start your review of Probably Pistachio: Probability
Heather
This was a fun book about a boy having a bad day. Each time something is coming up he thinks about the likelihood of it occurring. This introduces the concept and vocabulary of probability: likely, certain, not likely, impossible. I enjoyed reading it and seeing the well done illustrations.
Lisa Bittle
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute story line. Teaches math concepts too. A nice, living book.
ConnieLettow
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
Introduces probability through a little boy's thoughts on his food.
Samantha
Book does a fair job of introducing the concept of probability given real world scenarios that are generally relatable for kids. This one is mainly rooted in theoretical concepts of likelihood, without the number s, which may be very effective for some kids in learning the core principle without getting bogged down by numbers yet.
Britt D.
After reading the book I will do a mini lesson on probability. I will model how probability works with a die. Then I will pair up my students and have them work together to
--Determine where Jack could have placed himself in line for when the coach counted the students off my 3.
--What could have Jack done to increase his odds of getting popcorn for a snack
--Have students predict the lunch for the following day, week, and month
I will provide the students with colored unifix cubes as assistance an
Dolly
Apr 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is another fun story in the MathStart series by Stuart J. Murphy. We like these books; they incorporate math principles into the story and show how math is fun and necessary for everyday life.

This is a great book, teaching math concepts without being overly obvious about it. This book is about probability and the narrative is reminiscent of "Alexander And The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day." It's a fun book to read aloud.
Lynette Wells
Honestly I really wish i had this book when i was teaching my fourth graders about probability. Some of them had a hard time with probability and all it takes is to take it back to the basics. Based on the certain events that happened in Pistachio's day. I also like how the illustrator made the pictures look real I also like how the front cover has ice cream falling from the sky. That is a good noticing queestion you can ask students when you read it for a read aloud.
Elizabeth Bae
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math, fun-read
A fun, interactive book that discusses the confusing topic of probability. The main character talks about the probability of things that would happen to him during his school day (like, what is the probability that his mom packed him a good lunch?). It is a fun, real life situation book that can get students engaged quickly an having them take guesses as I read. This book would definitely start a class discussion about probability.
Takeisha Hannor
A fun, interactive book that discusses the confusing topic of probability. The main character talks about the probability of things that would happen to him during his school day (like, what is the probability that his mom packed him a good lunch?). It is a fun, real life situation book that can get students engaged quickly an having them take guesses as I read. This book is great for grades 3 and up.
Katherine Fountain
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
What a fun read aloud to introduce or review probability! The main character is not having a very good day and everything that could possibly go wrong has. The book talks about the probability of certainty, most likely, less likely, and impossible. I think that probability can be a math topic confusing to students so by applying the concept to this fun story the students have something to connect it to and make sense of. This book could be used during math in all elementary grades.
Kate Werner
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math, probability
Jack is not having a good day. If something can go wrong, it's probably going to for him. Through the unfortunate events of Jack's day kids can practice probability. Not only can teachers and students discuss how likely an event is to happen to Jack (more likely, less likely, certain, etc.), they can also use the pictures and descriptions in the story to do mathematical equations. A fun story used to practice math!
Kathryn
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book would be great to use when teaching probability to your students varying in age 6 and up to 5th grade. You can also incorporate teaching about patterns and counting when reading this book. You could also graph the things that may have gone wrong for the character up until he got his pistachio ice cream at the end of the day! This seems like a fun book that kids could relate to and really enjoy!!!
Katie O'Toole
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Discuss probability with students. Then use a coin and estimate the probability of heads and tails individually. Then go do the experiment and see how close we were to our estimation. Then use last month's cafeteria menu and estimate the probability of having pizza (and other foods) for lunch this month.
Lacey Smith
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
Probably Pistachio is a fun way to introduce and discuss probability with students. The examples in the book are great because they are not only real world examples, but also things that kids like. You could definitely expand this to a probability project in the classroom using the students favorite foods and sports like in the book.
Sharonta Johnson
This is an great book for probability. The book talks about the main character and how everything is going wrong that day. The book discuss the probability of it being certain, unlikely, and likely something will happen.
Rebecca Martin
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
This book is perfect for a lesson about probability. I would use this book to introduce probability to my students. I would have them do the probabilities that arise in the book and have them discuss their findings.
Jane
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: probability, math
I would use this book for upper grade level students to teach probability. This book will build a great connection between probability and real world. I would have discussion with students about the story and have students to think about their own 'probably' moments.
Esther
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math, ece-3601
This book is great for younger grades. I would use this in pre k to teach students about probability and vocabulary that's associated with it.
Beth
Amy Goldstein
Jan 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Treasure Tree
  • The Double Helix (Explorer Academy #3)
  • Norma Jean, Jumping Bean
  • The Whingdingdilly
  • The Completed Hickory Dickory Dock
  • Trapped in Hitler's Hell: A Young Jewish Girl Discovers the Messiah's Faithfulness in the Midst of the Holocaust
  • On Board the Titanic (I Was There)
  • True Stories of the First World War
  • Luther's Small Catechism with Explanation - 2017 Spiral Bound Edition
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to really enjoy

MathStart Level 2 (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Animals on Board
  • The Best Vacation Ever
  • Bigger, Better, Best!
  • Captain Invincible and the Space Shapes
  • Coyotes All Around
  • Elevator Magic (MathStart Level 2)
  • A Fair Bear Share
  • Get Up and Go!
  • Give Me Half! (MathStart Level 2)
  • Let's Fly a Kite